Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2005, 08:05 AM   #321
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Oh... oh dear. Saeryn thought, for a moment afraid. Her lapse of calm retreated as quickly as Bethberry's request had come.

"I shall get the water, Bethberry." Saeryn ran to the kitchen.

"Please," she asked Aedre, whom she met in the doorway. "I need warm water and some soft clothes, as well as a warm blanket. Wait...," she stopped the maid. "Just the water and cloth... bring it to Bethberry quickly."

Turning quickly on her heel, Saeryn sprinted to her room. This, she thought, is why every woman needs a sturdy pair of breeches. Picture me trying to run this in a gown!

Reaching her rooms, Saeryn pushed open the door. Grabbing the quilts from her own bed, as well as her own worn, but warm, cloak, the young woman returned quickly to her companions.

Handing the pile of blankets to Falco, Saeryn turned to Bethberry. "What else can I do?"

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 01-04-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #322
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Upon Saeryn's request for a story, Bethberry had become lost in reminiscence, thinking of the little lost soul who had earnestly planted apple pips in the east garden. Who had once knocked at The White Horse's door late, late one night. Madi had been his name. Madi Codex. Her hand went to the amber ball he had given her, which she kept in her pocket. She could still hear his impatient thudding at the door now...

Until Ruthwen shook her out of her waking dream. They were all ascurry now, briinging warm water and warm blankets to the aid of this other lost soul.

"Eodwine, my thanks, for bringing her in. And to you Falco also." A voice of solemn timbre acknowledged their help even though Bethberry's eyes were on the young woman.

"For now, Saeryn, I ask that you help Frodides in the kitchen to prepare some warm broth. And ask Aedre to light a fire, a strong fire, in the small guest room beside the kitchen. It will prove doubly warm for her when we are able to move her. If you will take accept my taking up your offer of help."

Saeryn nodded with relief that there was yet more she could do.

"The floor is cold. Eodwine, Falco, Ruthven, help drag a long table here, upon which she can lay." With only a minimal amount of confusion and some correction of direction no doubt due to the third tankard that had been imbibed, the three brought forth a table, upon which the blankets and Saeryn's cloak were laid and wrapped lightly around the young lass.

The Healer looked over her bruised and battered body. The cuts and scrapes would need washing and the blanched feet and fingers light swaddling. It would not do to wrap them too tightly, for circulation must be brought back to them. Over the swaddlings the old woman Ruthven chafted the cold feet gently with her boney, crooked hands, her fingers shaking but slightly with a tremour of age. The heroes of the moment, Eodwine and Falco, each took a small hand and held it to bring back colour and warmth. Bethberry turned to address the lass.

"Is your stomach ailing? Any pains there? I cannot give you broth if you are hurt inside. "

A wan face turned away from the fire towards the Innkeeper. The bedraggled head weakly shook an answer of "No."

"Then let us warm you here first, and feed you, and I shall attend to your hurts once we can see the blood colour your cheeks again, from the inside where it belongs."

"There's a story here," whispered Falco, but loudly enough for all to hear. Eodwine raised his eyes impatiently at the halfling.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #323
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Eodwine and Falco

Eodwine raised his eyes impatiently at the halfling. The girl coughed in racking gasps. Ruthven wiped the tears and dirt from the girl's face, then looked closely at the cut on her lip.

"Did someone strike you, child?" Ruthven asked. The girl did not reply, but fresh tears leaked from her eyes and fell into her ears.

And worse, Eodwine thought. Blood had streaked down her legs, poorly veiled by her tattered skirt. Eodwine tasted bile at the back of his throat. He tapped Falco on the shoulder and motioned him to the far corner of the common room. Falco looked up into his serious face expectantly.

"Some dastard has done grievous ill to the girl," Eodwine growled.

"Aye," said Falco, squinting, his mouth working. "What think you?"

"To avenge her."

Falco nodded, as if he had known precisely what was in Eodwine's mind. "First we must know if she can speak-" Eodwine remembered seeing that she had a tongue when she coughed. "-and if she can, will she speak of that?"

"We shall persuade her with kindness," Eodwine said resolutely.

"And if that fails us?"

"We must make sure that it does not." He held Falco's eyes as he walked around him and returned to the table on which the girl lay.

Falco watched Eodwine. He had seen the Rohirric man like this once before, far in the north of the hills of Evendim. A fire was in his eyes. "I could do for a smoke about now," Falco mumbled to himself, and reached into his vest pocket for his pipe and weed as he returned to their new vigil.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #324
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

"No stop, please" Gudryn begged tugging on the man's sleeve, he spun striking her in the jaw a studded ring on his finger cutting her lip. "It's so difficult disciplining a stubborn child, your worse then that god awful horse" he turned to pick up an oaken staff smiling grimly as he struck her again and again.

She dared not call out least he hit her harder, she swallowed her sobs and her eyes welled up with hot tears. She had had enough, enough of the beatings because she was proud and kind, but now her mind was broken and her body sore.

Gudryn wondered if she would die on the floor under this heathen.

Her eyes lazily opened to the sight of a fire blazing in the hearth, everything seemed so pure when you thought you were going to die, even the bone eating cold had a calm to it. Her brown eyes were caught in the light of the fire reflecting the golden hue.

Voices drifted around her and silhouetted bodies stood by her bringing the warmth to her chilled limbs. Then one of the voices spoke directly to her driving her attention away from the fire.

"Is your stomach ailing? Any pains there? I cannot give you broth if you are hurt inside. "

She closed her eyes for awhile trying to sum up the strength to shake her head. She kept thinking no, no ,no but her head wouldn't move, finally she managed weakly to turn her head side to side.

The young woman was hungry and couldn't remember the last time she had eaten, but broth would do for now least solid food cause her to be sick.

"Then let us warm you here first, and feed you, and I shall attend to your hurts once we can see the blood colour your cheeks again, from the inside where it belongs."

She smiled weakly because she could not nod her head, someone whispered loudly, her heart was pounding in her ears and she couldn't hear him, but one of the others, a tall man, raised his eyes impatiently towards the voice.

A fit of coughing escaped from the girl leaving her gasping for air. A kind faced woman looked down on the girl wiping her face clean of dirt and tears, her face came closer and looked at her lip.

"Did someone strike you, child?" the woman asked. Gudryn did not reply, but fresh tears leaked from her eyes and fell into her ears. She turned her face back towards the warm fire.

Her knees began to throb and the pebbles that were still stuck in her skin twinged her nerves sharply. She clenched her teeth and concentrated on the fire dancing on the logs, she loved the way it twirled around the wood, licking the stone and crackling gently.

Two of the figures returned to her side, the shorter one which she could not see very well lit up a pipe telling his whereabouts. She closed her eyes again and tried to breath smoothly and evenly.

A soft scent wafted to her nostrils, she groaned slightly as they helped her sit up on the table. The broth had arrived and Gudryn couldn't help but lick her chapped lips.

"Drink it slowly now, it is hot and we wouldn't want you to choke", she took the bowl and sipped it, the broth stopped her chills and warmed her belly. She coughed up a little dribble then wiped it away.

"Thank you" she said sleepily setting the bowl in her lap.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #325
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Eodwine and Falco

"Thank you," the girl murmured just as Eodwine returned to her makeshift bedside.

Ruthven took the bowl from the girl's lap. "This belongs down her throat, not staining her shift," she said sideways to Eodwine.

"What think you?" Eodwine asked her.

"'Tis hard to know much. She has been beaten, that is sure. And she has either been left to starve in some cold, cold empty roofless hovel, or she has been wandering with no help for a few days."

"Good then that she strayed by this inn's front door," Eodwine said.

"Aye."

"Do you have her name?"

"Nay."

Eodwine took a step closer. The girl might be sleeping, but he had to try. "Maiden? Do you sleep?" Her eyes fluttered open but stared at the raftered ceiling. "I am Eodwine. What is your name?" She looked at him then, and he looked upon her as kindly as he knew how. "You are safe now. We shall not let any dastard harm you again. What are you called?"
Old 01-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #326
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

"I cannot stay"

"Of course not dear, he is a cruel ruffian, you should leave before he makes it so that you cannot anymore"

She looked up at the woman who was said to be very old. She did not look it, her skin still had the glow of youth and her hair though pure snowy white glowed gold in the sunrise.

Gudryn remembered her braiding a wreath of blue and white flowers, the green steams so intricately and tightly woven by the skilled hands of this elder.

She loved this woman as a child would a parent, so gentle yet so wise with her years. A good friend to have at any time, good or bad.

"Where have you been?" the heartless voice inquired, her reply was an innocent, "nowhere". He seemed to ignore her answer, "you were with that witch again weren't you?" he spat.

She prepared herself for what would come now.

"Maiden? Do you sleep?" Gudryn's eyes fluttered open but stared at the raftered ceiling. "I am Eodwine. What is your name?" She looked at him then, and he looked upon her as kindly as he knew how. "You are safe now. We shall not let any dastard harm you again. What are you called?"

As she looked at him her lips trembled, "Gudryn, m'Lord, I am called Gudryn".
She looked around in puzzlement and fear still half in the nightmare but she could see Eodwine clearly.

"M' Lord?" she asked as he smiled down upon her, "will you truly keep me safe? I fear he will go looking for me to get revenge for my fleeing", she clutched at the quilt around her, trying vainly to find some comfort within it.

Eodwine's hand reached out to comfort her but she flinched and recoiled from the gesture with a whimper. "You are safe here", he reassured her before she allowed him to take her hand.

She squeezed his hand as hard as her strength could allow, wiping her face of tears in the warm blanket. "I hope so, I'm afraid" she sobbed.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #327
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Falco & Eodwine

"You are safe here."

"I hope so. "I'm afraid!" The girl called Gudryn sobbed and squeezed Eodwine's hand with all the strength she could, but her grip was to him frail as a maple leaf clinging to its branch in November. Gudryn. 'Twas a good Rohirric name. No maiden of the Rohirrim should be treated so.

"Fear not," he answered. "I am a messenger of King Éomer himself. I followed him into battle in the War and survived. Doubt not that I can keep some besotted cur from harming you." She looked up at him gratefully. Trust was in her eyes. Good.

"Whoever this rascal is," said Falco through his pipe, "he's beyond the law if we was in the Shire."

"'Tis so here as well, my friend," Eodwine said, watching the girl, "'tis so here as well." For a long time Gudryn held his hand tightly, and he stood there calm and sure, despite the growing pain in his back form his slouch. At last she fell asleep and her grip loosened. Eodwine slid his hand from hers and pulled himself straight up, stretching.

"'Tis time to get the girl to a proper bed," said Ruthven.

Eodwine lifted her, her sleep undisturbed, and brought her to the room Bethberry had prepared. When they had laid her to rest, Eodwine suggested that they all share a watch, for they knew not who the ruffian was, and he might come for the girl in the night if he learned where she was.

"Who will split the night's watch with me?" Eodwine asked.

"Don't think you're going to take all the heroism to youself, Master Eodwine," Falco said, puffing on his pipe, "not while I'm here to show you up!"

"Very well! We shall split the watch in two unless any others wish to join our vigil."
Old 01-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #328
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

"I shall help, if no-one minds." added Saeryn softly. I cannot let this girl remain afraid... not the way I was for so very long...

"You are more than welcome, m'lady."

"In that case, good sirs, if you will excuse me for a moment?" Without waiting for an answer, Saeryn turned on her heel and disappeared into her own room. Seeing her belongings where she left them, her saddlebags yet unpacked, she lifted them to the bed. Opening a pocket, Saeryn removed a pair of knives, razor-sharp and ebony hilted. She strapped them to her ankles, pulling her boots over them. Turning to her pile of soiled clothing, Saeryn set aside her old tunic and strapped the short sword beneath it to her belt.

She returned to the girl's room, not meeting the mens' eyes. Loosening her sword, Saeryn stationed herself by the door looked up at Eodwine. His face revealed his wonder... could this wisp of a girl truly wield this blade? She smiled, her teeth flashing in a humorless grin. He doubted no longer.

"Just in case, Master Eodwine. Just in case."
Old 01-17-2005, 06:08 PM   #329
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

"Indeed, lady Saeryn, indeed." He smiled and nodded approvingly, standing in the doorway. "You will take first watch then."

Faldo was puffing at his pipe at Eodwine's side. "She puts me in mind of Lumiel and Eswen; and Lyra, may her soul rest in peace."

"Who are they?" asked Saeryn. "Or were they?"

"Elven swordmaidens who guarded our backs in the hills of Evendim," Falco replied as his smoke rings grew, floating into Gudryn's room.

"Their prowess was great," Eodwine said. "Lyra was not least among them, but perished in the attack on the fiend's fortress. She is greatly missed."

"I would have liked to know her," Saeryn said.

"You may meet the other two. Who can say?" Eodwine turned to Falco. "What is the time?"

"I have it at midnight. Seems we'd do best to split the night into three hours apiece. And since I hold my ale better'n you, Master Eodwine, let's have it that the Lady wakes me up and I wake you, eh?"

"Hah! Hold your ale better than I? You keep yourself so soaked, you never dry out!"

"Nonsense! Lady, I shall sleep nearest the door so all you need do is knock, and I'll come running."
Old 01-18-2005, 07:25 AM   #330
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Having arranged certain events and made notifications, the Innkeeper arrived at the doorway, not without some coughing and sputtering herself at all the smoke the two brave lads had been producing. Ruthven was at her side.

"Gentlemen and heroes," Bethberry began, " I thank you for your help in carrying the unfortunate lass to this room, but now I will ask that as gentlemen you take your leave from the lady's chamber. She will be watched by womenfolk, by Saeryn here, Ruthven, and myself. "

Falco took umbrage at this remark, the moreso perhaps because of the drink he had imbibed. "I am a halfling of the finest fibre. I mean to do justice to honour and..."

His words were interrupted by Eodwine, himself not too steady on his feet, as his back was still aching from holding his crouch over the girl's makeshift bed as she fell asleep. It had not been a particularly commodious position for his stomach, either, and he several times felt the need to take deep swallows of breath in order to steady that organ. Yet his heart and tongue needed no steadying.

"We know what fibre you have in you. It was a right fine meal you ate. But this calls for a guard of stamina and strength, not one who can offer but half-measures."

"Why, you old sot you!" retaliated the hobbit. "As if a messanger has the fighting skills of a warrior! It takes a bit more to carry a sword than a letter, and much more than to carry your ale."

So quarrelsome were the two becoming that unnoticed their pipeweed went out and the air cleared.

"You shall wake the lass at this rate, if you keep it up," intoned the Innkeeper. "Gentlemen, the White Horse Inn is locked and bolted and guarded by means which many have heard not of. I ask you to take to your rooms, and get a good night's sleep. We will have need of your wit and skill and adventurous spirits on the morrow, but for now let women do their work." She looked sternly at the two as if she would brook no argument.

"Saeryn," said Bethberry, turning to the young woman, if you would take the first watch, and Ruthven here will sleep on a side cot. You can wake her to take the later shift."

"Do that, lass, and trust to me," replied the old woman. "I know when to call for your help should it be needed. I promise to wake you from your cot at the first sign we might need your sword."

The three woman formed a formidable presence, standing shoulder to shoulder in front of Eodwine and Falco, who were beginning to see doubly if not triply the merit in Bethberry's words. They bowed courteously and withdrew.

Bethberry turned to the women. "The falcon Wyrd will be perched aloft. At any sign of unruly approach he will come to you and to me, to warn. Other measures are afoot as well. Trust to us."

"Aye, aye, I know your ways, Bethberry," lightly cajoled Ruthven. "We shall be fine unless those two lads decide to make such adventurous deeds as to announce the presence of the lass here."

"They mean well," spoke up Bethberry. "They are simply rather fond of adventures."
Old 01-19-2005, 01:12 PM   #331
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield Our ranks swell

OOC

Another round of Shire games successfully concluded means new Rohirrim. Writers of the Mark, please welcome to your ranks the following distingushed gamers.

With full status as Game Manager and Game Player, CaptainofDespair and Regin Hardhammer. Very fine and nimble work managing your games and the players! Well done both of you.

And our newest Rohirrim, new to the saddle but who should settle in admirably: Game Players Boromir88 and Lalwendë.

I invite the four of you to join us at The White Horse for a pint to two in celebration.

Bęthberry
Moderator for Rohan
Old 01-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #332
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

The grass tickled her toes as she sat in the shade of a large tree. Gudryn tried not to fall asleep case the fox came to nibble her toes, this fox was rather fearless when it came to Gudryn and rather nosy too.

And this day it came right up to her swishing his pompous tail around like he were a king. He sat on his haunces and looked at her expectantly.

"You're becoming quite the smart little thing aren't you?" she asked tossing him half a sugar cookie, "too bad I cannot teach you any tricks, you see I will be leaving soon, far away from that place over yonder" she pointed to a hut with black smoke billowing out of the chimmney.

"I pray he doesn't catch me before I leave", she turned to the little fox and smiled, "not to worry, I've told the elder Lady all about you, she won't miss a day giving you your cookie".

She patted the fox on the head, "I have things to do before I go", she stood up and walked briskly down the hill towards the ruffians stable. With one swift motion she opened the door and sent the horses flying out to there freedom.

With all the commotion Gudryn was able to sneak back inside and into her room.

"Tonight is the night" she mumbled in her sleep curling tighter into her blankets.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:13 PM   #333
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

"Tonight is the night" the girl murmered. Saeryn sank further into herself, concentrating on everything and nothing, all to once. The girl shifted on the bed, pulling her blankets closer. A board creaked in the hall. Supremely unconcerned, Saeryn nevertheless drew a dagger and quietly woke Ruthven.

"There is someone outside the door, madam, and I hear a faint hawk call from afar. I do not know if this is important, but I thought it best to wake you."

Leaving Ruthven to attend to matters, Saeryn knelt beside the sleeping girl. Poor thing, she thought. When Eodwine and Falco go to avenge this, I hope they will allow me a part in the adventure.

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 01-21-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #334
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

1420! Eodwine and Falco

The messenger of Rohirrim was sprawled over the bed, having passed out before he could get under the covers.

The second bed was too big for hobbits, and Falco had decided on the cushioned seat next the wall instead. It was the size of a couch in his ma's hole back in Waymoot. He was now snoring loudly and dreaming of a crow smoking a pipe, blowing smoke birds that flapped their wings before they were blown athither by the breeze. The crow looked at him and said caw!

Falco opened his eyes. Master Eodwine was snoring as loud as any crow. No wonder. He turned on his side and was soon asleep again.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #335
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama rode his horse slowly up the path to the White Horse...so many memories of this place, so many good, so many bad...he remembered many years ago meeting Sandrina Lightheart here, and as her sworn protector destroying her older brothers. He sighed, he took no great joy from killing other humans, even enemies...they had families, doubtless, and many tears would be shed over them. Hama had no such family now, he knew, he had lost them years ago while he was off fighting at Pelennor. They were gone now, commited to the earth and dust. The closest thing he had to family was Adu, and she was a few hours behind him. He mused about Crystal. She was beautiful, yes, intelligent, yes, the sort of woman that a man would dream of, but no...Hama could never...it wouldn't work...

Tethering his horse to the pole outside he walked into the inn, slowly pushing the doors aside. Water dripped from his hair, forming a small pool at his feet. Heads turned, they saw the General's insignia and the Rohirrim there recognised him. Hama Haukrsonn, successor of the notorious Dorian Heart. He was known to be friendly, humane, and approachable, but nobody approached him...

Hama walked over to the counter and placed a gold coin on the table. "Ale," was all that he managed to say, and annoyingly it came out as a low growl rather than a pleasant request. He saw the children dancing, and a small lump came to his throat. Years ago they would have been his children, if only...he forced himself to stop thinking about it, but this caused a grimace to pass across his features. The barmaid set his ale on the counter and he took it, walking slowly to an empty table and sat, staring into his drink. He murmured under his breath in Rohirric, " They have passed, like rain on the mountains." Before raising the tankard to his lips and draining the entire pint. He let his hand fall forward, and the tankard clanged loudly as it collided with the table...
Old 01-25-2005, 09:12 AM   #336
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

"Eh, eh, what?" mumbled the old bag lady as Saeryn shook Ruthven awake. "There's a noise outside. Trouble I fear."

The old woman rolled over, her grey hair whisping over her eyes and her body protesting the movement. She had heard nothing, but then the ears of the young are more inclined to want to do things than the more sage ears of the elder. She sat up, took a deep breathe, and then tumbled out of the cot. Or would have had not the younger girl caught her.

yes, Ruthven could clearly hear the falcon now, but he was far away, not at the window. Still, it would not do to ignore matters. She pulled on her boots, wrapped a heavy shawl around her, and ventured out the door, with Saeryn bolting it behind her.

Her eyes accustomed to the dark, she saw that the hall was empty. Marching to the door of the proud heroes of this adventure, she listened at it. Rhythmic snoring was all she heard, punctuated by one or two other bodily noises no doubt arising from the quantity of brew imbibed. Ruthven's attention was drawn away, however, by the sound of a scuffle outside. She turned and quickly made her way downstairs, to knock on Bethbery's door, and then to follow the sound.

Out the back door, beyond the kitchen she found Wyrd, his wings fluttering him up and down, as if he would beat a large, dark creature at the mound of compost. Ruthen jumped back, afraid of herself being attacked. She bumped in Bethberry, who had hurriedly risen to answer the knock upon the door. The older woman shrieked.

"It's just me," replied Bethberry.

"And it's just a bear, come for the garbage."

"When did the bears start coming down out oif the mountains into Edoras?" asked Ruthven.

"When their food was overhunted and depleted. People have ignored the warnings from the Golden Hall, but warnings do little to fill empty bellies."

Bethberry whistled lightly, and the falcon let off his attack upon the burly creature, who pawed and snorted her way through the pilings of vegetable peel and bone. Yet once she was satisfied, she rolled off, a large piece of some offal in her mouth, Towards the apple trees, she walked, where two darker shapes , little ones, awaited her.

Ruthven cackled with a mischievous grin. "She's left a trail. Come, let us rearrange it a bit, so we can give our heroes something to ferret out. "

Bethberry looked at her good friend. "You joker. What shall the two do if they discover your trickery?"

"Oh, we shall laugh. Over a pint," she grinned.

"Well, it is your tale. Set it up as you like, and let the two enjoy the sport." Checking that no other sound or creature, fell or fair, was around the Inn, Bethberry left Ruthven to her devices.

~~~

Rain woke the inhabitants of the Inn later that morning, once the sun rose.. Bethberry had seen that the fires were well stoked and the kitchen readied for a day of business when she saw the soldier arrive and order his ale. A strange drink for so early in the morn. That one might bear watching, she decided, despite his uniform.

"An empty belly in the morn needs more than ale, General," the Innkeeper said as she approched him. .

Meanwhile, Ruthven awoke and went to rouse the sleeping Eodwine and Falco. She had to knock several times at their door, louder and louder each time.

"Get off with ye," yelled a voice at her, not too terribly hospitable.

"A fine how-do-you-do is this," retorted the woman. "We've had strange visitors last night, the Inn was under attack, and now we have rough looking men sitting in the great hall drinking at this hour and you cannot rise to the situation."

"Eh, what's this? "called out Eodwin.

"There's tracks outside, as well as we can make out, from the rain. And gouges at the door of the back, near the kitchen. Someone tried to break in. Wyrd alerted us but you were lost in your sleep. Come out now, and see to the girl's protection."

Whereupon Ruthven retreated to the kitchen herself, to bring a tray up to the girl and Saeryn, for a private breakfast. It was a hearty breakfast she prepared, for the girl at least would be hungry and likely able now to take more food.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 01-25-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:08 PM   #337
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

"There's tracks outside, as well as we can make out, from the rain. And gouges at the door of the back, near the kitchen. Someone tried to break in. Wyrd alerted us but you were lost in your sleep. Come out now, and see to the girl's protection."

Eodwine balanced himself, still sitting, on the side of his bed, the covers a mess beneath him. "Ow. That woman could talk loud enough to wake the dead."

"Quiet down, you noisy Rohirrim." Falco fiddled in his pockets for his pipe and Southfarthing.

"Let's see to the girl's protection then."

"Before breakfast? It ain't right."

"No grumbling now. We slept through the watches and noises." Eodwine forced himself to his feet, trying hard to keep his feet beneath him, not to mention his stomach from heaving. He moaned as he stumbled to the door.

"And a ruffian of some sort in the Common Room, no less."

"Ow. 'Tis too early for ruffians." Eodwine opened the door.

"They don't know a good time from a bad time, nor good from bad for that matter," Falco mused. "Well, it's good times in the Shire since we were rid of 'em, and that's saying something!"

"Keep it down!" Eodwine held his hands over his ears as he passed through the door and went down the hallway. "Where is everybody?"

"Surely enough that old lady Ruthven called for us, there's no mistaking that one's grating wheeze."

"Careful now, one mustn't speak uncharitably of the elderly."

"Oh, I don't mean nowise by it, just it's too early to be all business. Before breakfast even! Watch it, that ruffian's bound to be around the corner."

Eodwine peered around the doorpost. His eyes went wide. "That's no ruffian!" He started into the room. "Hama! You old battler! What brings you here? How long has it been?"

"Hama?" Falco said to himself. "The name makes me hungry. I could do with some ham and eggs."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-25-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #338
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Saeryn looked up from her tailor's seat on the floor by the bed when the heavy door swung open. Her sword lay unsheathed across her knees. Ruthven and Bethberry entered, the old woman with a tray of food and Bethberry with an admonishing look.

"My dear lady Saeryn, you will please tell me you were not awake all night! And you only just arrived yourself, and still exhausted from the trip. Off to bed with you before I encourage our heros out in the Great Hall to convince you."

Fixing her face stubbornly, Saeryn rose to her feat with an effort. "I'll have you know, Madam Innkeeper, that I am just-- I am just--" Saeryn yawned widely. "I am perfectly fine and awake."

With a cackle, the old woman spoke to her companion. "I told you, Bethberry. She's too much spirit to let someone else work when she can save them from the horrible torment of sharing labour." Ruthven winked at Saeryn, who utterly missed the sarcasm, and left the room.

------------

"Entirely too long, Eodwine, old friend. Let us sit and eat. Your half-sized friend has put me in longing of a hearty breakfast."

"Half-sized! Why I beg your--" Falco sputtered. "In the Shire I am known to be uncommonly tall, I thank you very much."

"Pity... have pity for the brutal headache last night's story telling has left me with, friends."

Ruthven interrupted with a stamp of her foot. "Gentlemen, whilst you chinwag, we've an innocent girl in the other room in need of your assistance."

"She's awake! Perhaps she--"

"Awake indeed, you old fool, the poor girl's been up all night whilst you shirked your duties for the excuse of too much ale."

"I--"

"You can fix it now by helping us get the lady Saeryn to bed. And her only just come from a journey herself..."

----------------

Saeryn turned toward the door once again when it opened, this time admitting Ruthven and three men. He looks familiar thought Saeryn sleepily. Her feet were near to giving out beneath her.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 PM   #339
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Gudryn's eyes opened lazily with her grumbling stomach, a shrill panic ran down her back.

Where am I?

She lied perfectly still under her blankets trying to gain her bearings. Blinking the tears out of her eyes she looked around the room.

She couldn't recognise a thing, and it was strangely comforting to her. Her memories drifted back and she smiled poking her head out from under the quilt.

A few familiar voices were talking, followed by the sound of shuffling feet out of the door as she opened her brown eyes fully. More footsteps. She sat up in bed and saw an elderly woman with a tray in her hands.

Gudryn's stomach growled incessantly, she could smell food and it smelled very tasty, too tasty even for the word tasty. The elder seemed kindly but more weathered then the one she had known, before she left the ruffian.

She rubbed the sleep and tears from her eyes when she was greeted by the warm friendly face.

"Hello dear, care for some breakfast?"

"Why, yes I do", was her reply and she took the tray in her lap gladly, for a time forgetting how sore and stiff her body was. She began to shovel the food into her mouth with no sign of stopping.

"Careful now, we wouldn't want your stomach to turn all that good food back up now would we?

She shook her head and began to eat more slowly. Most of the people walked out and left Gudryn to her breakfast.

Gudryn was nearly done when three men walked in with the older lady, one of them looked like a child at first glance. She took a second look and he gave her a wink.

Her lips quirked into a smile, she wondered who the other man was, he looked rough around the edges.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #340
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine and Falco

"Awake indeed, you old fool," said Ruthven, "the poor girl's been up all night whilst you shirked your duties for the excuse of too much ale."

"I--" Hama stammered.

"You can fix it now by helping us get the lady Saeryn to bed. And her only just come from a journey herself..."

Ruthven turned on her heels, expecting immediate obedience. Hama, Eodwine, and Falco exchanged glances, and followed.

Eodwine said out of the side of his mouth, "The women of Edoras, crone, lady, and lass, are an unruly lot, are they not?" Hama cracked a smile.

Ruthven spun. "I heard that! Unruly, you say? And exactly who'd take ruling from the likes of you, pray tell?" She fixed Eodwine with a menacing glare.

Eodwine put his hands up in a gesture of warding ... a blow ... and said, "Did I say that aloud? Forgive me! I thought the words had not passed my lips!"

Hama guffawed. Eodwine fixed him with a betrayed look.

"Enough out of you," Ruthven scolded. "You're lucky I don't take you by the ear and make you swab the kitchen floor! Now follow meek."

Falco took up the rear, puffing on his pipe, quite glad to be hidden from sight by the two big lummoxes.

They came to Gudyrn's room. Eodwine and Hama would have had abject hat in hand had they hats. Falco moved around them. The girl stared at him a moment. He gave her a wink and a smile around the pipe in his lips. She smiled back and her eyes drifted to the man called Hama.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 PM   #341
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

"How did you sleep, Miss Gudryn?" asked Eodwine. The lass looked at him briefly, then turned her staring attention back to Hama, who seemed every bit the slap-handed schoolboy under Ruthven's severe tutelage.

"Shush now," Ruthven scolded. "Let the poor girl eat."

Eodwine looked balefully at the old woman ... after she had taken her eyes off him and was watching the girl.

Falco chuckled and took his pipe out of his mouth. "It was you, Mizzuz Ruthven, as ordered us in here. What for if not to talk to the girl?"

"Don't you sass at me, you ... "

"You what? . . . Mizzuz?" Falco threw back at her, giving a wink to Saeryn, who sat on the far side of Gudryn's bed, nibbling on the last bites of her breakfast. It made Falco all the hungrier and irascible, not having had his first yet.

Ruthven had been about to say something about runts, but thought better of it when the hobbit's brow started to get thunderous. She knew Men well enough, but her edeecation on Hobbits was a might bit sketchy. Best to turn the manners just a bit to tweed with 'im.

"I was saying don't you sass at me, for I brought you in here so you could see the lass was well. And now 'tis time you saw after the prowlers last night."

Falco closed one eye and watched her suspiciously.

Eodwine spoke up. "The lady did speak of strange visitors last night."

"Ah yes," puffed Falco. "The Inn under attack."

"Tracks outside," Eodwine continued.

"Gouges at the door of the back ... where?" Falco looked questioningly to Ruthven.

"Near the kitchen, I told you," said Ruthven. "Someone tried to break in."

"Very well," said Eodwine. "Let us have a look at all these signs, the sooner accomplished, we can break our fast."

"And show Lady Saeryn to her bed while you're at it! She's been up all night, unlike you lalligags, and needs some rest."

Falco eyed Ruthven for having it both ways, as it were, but with a puff of his pipe, let it go. He turned to Saeryn. "Lady?" Saeryn got up without a word and took up the rear behind Falco and Hama, who followed Eodwine's long striding heels down the hall.

Ruthven's last imprication followed them down the hall. "Men! Always thinkin' on their stomachs!"

Falco wondered briefly about the giggling laughs that had followed the imprication, but thought no more of it. Best get this little bit of shirriffing done so as to get to first breakfast the sooner. Musn't let second breakfast run into lunch! No, that would never do.

They stopped off at Saeryn's room and saw her in with a please and a thank you, and a goodnight-even-though-it's-morning, and continued on their way.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-02-2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #342
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Peering down the hall, Saeryn padded quickly but silently to the kitchen. Leave me out of the action she thought... Not bleedin' likely. The men-folk had come into the girl's room and without a yay or nay, escorted Saeryn, please and thank you, to her room where she was to "Sleep herself out, there's a lass, and have no worry over the girl." The men-folk would take care of it all. Well not if I have anything to say of it. See them have an adventure without me!

Begging a hot drink off a sleepy maid, Saeryn splashed her face with cold water, shivering excitedly as she returned to full consciousness. Retreating to her room, Saeryn changed into battle-friendly clothes. It would not do to ruin my best breeches, or to risk tearing this tunic. She pulled a pair of brown leggings from her bags and matched it with a thigh-length tunic of moss green. A light leather vest covered her, and her belt she slung across her hips, hooking her sword and dagger to it. Saeryn left her boots off. No good to draw unwanted attention... "Now miss, it's back to bed with you" without a word of "Can you help?". Well I certainly can.

Unfastening her hair tie, Saeryn pulled her braid loose with her fingers, tightly rebraiding and coiling her auburn locks. A few tendrils framed her face, unwilling to stay back. Even tired, Saeryn was beautiful. She slid the door open a bit, glancing down the hall. The men had nearly reached the end.

Quietly, Saeryn followed, boots in hand, her stockinged feet making no more noise then the smallest of cats. As the men walked through the doorway, Hama glanced behind. Saeryn swore as his hand lightly tapped Eodwine's shoulder.

"Miss, you should--"

Gesturing hurriedly for silence, Saeryn ran to the group. "Please sirs, if Bethberry and Ruthven knew I was up they would fuss so."

"Yes m'lady Saeryn, and for good reason. Ye should be resting."

I'll give you a rest. she thought impatiently. "M'lord Eodwine, you do not understand. With your permission or without, I am going to follow you. I'd much prefer your blessing, but I do not need it. I will not be cosseted like a small child. I am coming." Seeing her resolve, Eodwine gave in. Falco, about to speak, was silenced by a hand on the shoulder and an almost imperceptible head shake by Hama. Saeryn smiled her gratitude as the company turned and continued on its mission. Falco and Eodwine leading, Saeryn fell behind with Hama. She looked up at him.

"You were not in the Hall last night, nor did anyone make mention of you." she commented softly. "You are a friend, I presume, or Eodwine would not have you privy to these happenings, but... who are you?"

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 02-02-2005 at 05:32 PM. Reason: inconsistencies ;)
Old 02-02-2005, 06:23 AM   #343
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dűm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Hama raised an eyebrow, this was what happened when you didn't hang around after you got made a general. He murmered softly into Saeryn's ear,

"Miss, Eodwine and I fought many battles together. We both fought at Helm's Deep, both fought at Pelennor Fields and both at the Black Gate itself. It's a wonder we're both still alive. After the war, I came home with Eodwine, to find that both our families had been burnt and destroyed by the dunlendings in our absence. I lost a mother, a father, a wife, two sons and a daughter. I fled, in grief, to the Shire, where I met the daughter of general Dorian Heart, we soon received news of Dorian Hearts death, and I rode back here to Edoras. Eomer bestowed upon me Dorian's place as general of the West Fold, and you don't know who I am?"

Saeryn blushed, she was amazed that he could talk about his family's deaths so dispassionately, but she assumed that it was simply Rohan stoicism.

"I...didn't know..." she managed to say quietly,

"I know, lass." Said Hama, patting her shoulder gently...
Old 02-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #344
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

The general patted Saeryn's shoulder gently, almost condescendingly. She looked up at him. He'd lost his family in a worse way than Saeryn had. How brave he had been, fighting to protect his family, only to return with them lost. My own family is simply... strewn.

"I am so sorry, m'lord. Had I known--" she whispered.

"But you didn't, and so you need beg no pardon." Hama's hand found her's and squeezed it gently, releasing quickly. "No harm, no foul, m'dear."

"Aha!" cried Falco. "The ruffians have been here!" They had reached the doors. About the handles were rough scratches, as though gouged with a dagger. The earth before the doors was pounded flat.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 AM   #345
peral
Animated Skeleton

peral has just left Hobbiton.
Her footfalls were light and were barely heard, even in the relatively empty Common Room. It was still early she considered, probably why there weren't many people sitting at the tables eating. It was rare that she found an opportunity to come to the inn and have a breakfast alone with her thoughts. With an ailing father who was unable to do most things for herself, most people would call her thoughtless and uncaring to leave him so she could pamper herself with a breakfast that she hadn't cooked for herself. However, he had assured her that he had been feeling find that morning and that she should go out and treat herself to an already cooked meal. She had had her doubts and misgivings about leaving him alone, but the prospect of an hour or two of freedom was too tempting and beautiful for her to have turned down. So, now here she was, in the White Horse Inn for the first time in about half a year.

As she sat down she called for some ham and eggs. It was unbelievable to her that someone actually heard her, for she was usually very soft-spoken and hated to raise her voice even to call for some much-needed sustenance. When the breakfast was finally set down before her, she dug into it with such enthusiasm and vigour that even the two huge men sitting beside her - who had ignored her until then - stared at her with great amazement and slight bewilderment. However, the food was so delicious to her lips that even the stares didn't stop her from digging into the breakfast and eating it with relish. But even as she leant over her food, the necklace around her neck slipped out from underneath her dress. On the sparkling blue surface of the pendant was engraved a name in the most stunning silver - Ayeth.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #346
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield The Two Big Rohirrim

"Ayeth? Is that your name, lass?" asked one of the two big men at the girl's table. "What be you a doing out alone?"

The girl chewed and swallowed her mouthful before answering in a quiet voice. "My pa bade me go and break my fast with a meal cooked by other hands."

"Ah, is that the way of it?" Said the second one. "And who's your pa?"

"I am sorry, sirs," she said meekly, "but may I know your names?"

"Harreld, you lout," said the first man. "You don't go asking about others' folks before you give your own name."

"I haven't heard you give yours yet, Garreth!"

Garreth turned to the girl. "Well, there you have it, lass. I am called Garreth, and this here is Harreld. We are brothers and we are smiths here in town. Perhaps you've heard of us?" Ayeth shook her head, and noticed for the first time that they were a rather burnished pair of men. "No? Ah well, no matter. So who's your pa?"
Old 02-04-2005, 08:00 PM   #347
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

"So who's your pa?"

Ayeth had been startled by that question. Not many people asked that, did they? Or was it just that she was unused to social interaction especially with men?

"Hlothere Hwaindere, but he is old now although in his youth he used to be part of King Éomer's éored. He was a great fighter, until that day on the Pelennor Fields," here she looked up into the faces of the two men. "He fell and was among the ones gathered and thought to be dead. It was lucky that someone actually realised that his heart was still beating." She could feel a familiar wetness forming in her eyes. "I was lucky that he was found. My mother died in childbirth, he was all I had remaining."

She looked down at the table having completely lost her appetite in these reminiscences. She hated herself for having no control over her emotions. This was years ago yet she still felt the pain and fear of almost having lost a father. She hoped she wouldn't lose all composure and break down in front of these two men and tried to prevent this from happening by suddenly becoming completely engrossed in pushing the food still on her plate into a little heap in the centre.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:56 AM   #348
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Harreld and Garreth

The twins, Harreld and Garreth, glanced at each other with softening eyes, and raised blonde eyebrows at each other. Burly they were, but kindly. Thirty-five years together had made it so they knew each other's minds before a word passed their lips.

"There there, lassie," said Garreth, the more quick to speech. "The two of us were at Pelennor too, but with Théoden's eored, may he sleep in peace. Many a good man was lost that day, and many lost a leg or an eye. 'Tis the weregild of those who live on with all their parts in place to see to the wellbeing of those not so lucky."

"Aye," Harreld said, "'tis no bad thing to mourn those we've lost."

"Ayeth!" Garreth put in, "Why that is a pretty name." He pushed her plate back closer to her again. "How did you come by it?"

"But don't let us keep you from breaking your fast!" Harreld said. "We can wait."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-05-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #349
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
"Now," said Frodides, observing the rather dirty tabletops, the empty shelves wherein should have sat clean plates, and the dusty and mussy floor. Baby Drihten was crawling across that floor, his cheeks flushed and his eyes bright, pursuing a spider eagerly. Mereflod and Motan were tying bunches of flowers together with long stems of grass. Deman and Fierlan were sitting with their arms about each other and quarreling. Middaeg and Beorht, the second pair of twins, were exchanging the words they had just learned that day, delighting that they could speak. Giefu had his head against the wall and was looking dreamy, no doubt imagining great adventures with himself as the hero. Maercwen and Gomen were in earnest conversation about music. Frodides felt her heart swell up and quicken its beat with a fierce pain of pride and love.

"Maercwen, Gomen," she said, "will you help me get the children out of the kitchen?" So saying, she lifted Drihten from off the floor, where he was bitterly weeping because the spider had crept into a crack in the wall.

Maercwen and Gomen, never ceasing in their conversation, hustled their younger brothers and sisters away. They had all finished their breakfast, and Frodides didn't like to have the children in the kitchen just after a meal. She needed some space to sweep and scrub. She went to the kitchen door with them, and gave Leofan a parting kiss as he went out to work in the stables. Then she stood and watched as the group of children paraded through the Common Room, talking and laughing and, for Motan's part, singing.

"Oh," said Frodides, with a flush coming to her cheek, "I love my family."
Old 02-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #350
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

For some reason, the thought that she was talking to two others that had also been present that fateful day upon the Pelennor seemed to comfort Ayeth somewhat. To care for my father, she thought, that is what I'm here for, he needs me just as much as I need him.

"My name? Ah, twas my mother's last wish to have me named after her grandmother." Her fingers began playing with the necklace around her neck. "This was my great-grandmother's. My father could hardly refuse my mother that, so that is how I received my name." Her she paused, thinking, "I am proud of my name although it is hardly a common one for a girl of Rohan to have." She looked absent-mindedly down at her food once more. "What about you two?" She laughed, "Here I am telling you all these things and I barely know anything about you both. You can start with telling me who your parents are."
Old 02-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #351
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Harreld and Garreth

"Ho!" laughed Garreth. "You've some spice in you, eh?" Our pa's Ambleth of Edoras and our ma's his wife, to be sure, and her name's Hilde. They live at our home, you see, for we take care of them now. They're not so young anymore."

"Leastways they both have their legs under 'em," said Harreld.

"More's the pity, always gettin' underfoot in the shop, the old man!" said Garreth.

Harreld waved a reproachful finger at his brother. "Now don't go talking that way about those who brought you into the world."

Garreth grinned and winked. "Trying to look the better of us for the wee lass, are you?"

"Ho! You think I'm a-courting! Ha!" Harreld lifted his big mug of tea and drank deeply, hiding his reddening face.

Ayeth snickered behind her little hand.

"Courting, aye." But Garreth was shaking his head. "You would think we could find us some lasses as wanted to be rich as smith's wives, but somehow we drive 'em off. Maybe they think they're expected to marry the both of us! Ha! That would be too much of a good thing." He peered at Ayeth. "How old are you, lass?"
Old 02-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #352
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Gudryn

Strange visitors last night?

The Inn under attack?

Tracks outside, gouges at the door of the Kitchen?

The pain in her limbs came back with a vengence, even old wounds and scars seemed to burn, depression and horror struck her in the face like a torch being forced into water.

She looked to the corner to keep her eyes from welling up again, her teeth clenched and unclenched, she drove her canines into the tip of her tongue only enough to concentrate on the sting.

His name came screeching back into her head.

Rand

If he had come he would crush them all. He was a large man, much larger then Eodwine was tall. With such a husky muscular build he would tower over the people who said they would protect her.

He was like a bear in human form and he would rend these people limb from limb in his rage, he had nearly killed Gudryn more then once. No, Rand didn't take kindly to his possesions being taken away, especially when they were given to someone else.

But she was no longer anyone's, not Rand's most of all. He of course would never see it that way once he caught a glimpse of Eodwine.

I must warn him!

She stood shakingly, her bruised knees throbbing, she picked a loosened pebble from her knee and sneering at it, started to make her way to the door.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #353
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril Saeryn and the boys

At the back door they had broken their group, their attentions wandering to those things that brought a memory in their wake. Remembering the iron shoes of orcs and the stamping feet of the Dunlendings, Hama and Eodwine focused on the trampled earth before the doors. Too many marks for a decent tracking... A bewildered Falco examined the door.

"Now these kinds of marks... what kind of slip-shod, half-trained, molly-coddled fools would carry a blade dulled enough to gouge like these?" asked the hobbit. P'raps t'was sharp at the first, but dulled with the scraping? he thought to himself.

Further away, Saeryn walked, half bent, examining the ground. Was that blood? She saw the end of something, half buried in the dirt. Removing her belt knife, Saeryn pulled the dirt away with the tip.

"What in the world?" she asked herself quietly. Hearing the question, Hama walked over, carefully sidestepping any tracks. He knelt beside her and pulled the thing from the gound.

"Well I..." he laughed aloud. "Come, Eodwine, we have found the culprit!"

Spinning on his heel, Eodwine half ran to the two. Falco turn and sauntered over. Saeryn began to giggle helplessly. Eodwine looked at the more or less crescent shape Hama held in his palm. With a glance for permission, Saeryn took the claw from him, showing the other two.

"Friends, your unwanted visitor was but a bear." Hama laughed. "P'raps two, but look towards the rubbish, and at the claw marks in the door. An attack indeed."

Eodwine's face paled before flushing. "That... that woman!" he cried. "Taking advantage of our good will to... to... to play a prank and make us look the fool. 'Tis like... 'tis as good as crying wolf and... why that old crone... an' before breakfast as well!"

"Ah Eodwine, we see where your heart lies. Come, let us eat and make merry. We've been played the fools and must now think of a suitable vengeance. I smelled a berry concoction on my way in... P'raps 'tis not too late." Leading his friend by the arm, Hama led the way to the Great Hall.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #354
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Looking out the back window, but hidden behind the curtain, Ruthven watched the intrepid heroes search the tracks and marks on the door. She was able to stifle an outright guffaw, but her shoulders shook, and her sides, and her belly. She hadn't had sucha good laught in some time.

She observed that 'twas the lass Saeryn who solved the puzzle. "A sharp lass," she said to herself. One who will give Eodwine and Falco a good run for their shenanigans. But it was time to look occupied and otherwise very busy. It wouldn't do to be seen watching the hand play out. Ruthven withdrew to the Great Hall, where the morning's activities could be subjected to any number and manner of discussion.

Meanwhile, Bethberry had been quietly observing the other young lass, this one truly a young lass, timorously enter the Horse. She sat quietly, but gave away her nervousness by fingering a necklace whick was far too fancy to be shown in the likes of an Inn, however good that Inn's reputation might be. She walked over to the girl in time to overhear the twins, Garreth and Harreld. Harmless enough they were, yet perhaps the girl could use a steadying hand of the Innkeeper in keeping these two at bay?

'Now my fine lads, what's this to be asking a lady her age?"

"It is a perfectly innocent question, Innkeeper," retorted Harreld.

"Nay, it is not so," replied Bethberry.

"It was, it was!" seconded Garreth. "As Pa is our witness."

"Now don't be going to invoke your Pa as a witness, for his roving eye and merry cheeks were legend here in his day."

The young girl looked up at Bethberry, eyes wide, her hand dropping the necklace back to remain hidden int he folds of her shawl.

"Why, they were flirting with me!" she said.

"Well, there's flirting and then there's chatting. And then there's the proper decorum to a place like The White Horse, where a young girl can come to enjoy some company without being sounded out as if the very machinations of a matchmaker were involved."

The girl gasped. "Oh, they weren't!" she began.

"Nothing at all of the sort," sputtered Harreld.

'Not our doing," chimed in Garreth.

"I see," intoned Bethberry. "Well, let's let the lass enjoy her breakfast afore she needs to fend you two off."

"Breakfast," called out Ruthven. 'I'm hungry and I smell taters and 'shrooms and berry cakes on the grill. Must an old lady be up all night watching for villien and not be fed come the morrow?"

With those words the old bag lady slid into a seat beside the young lass "I've no qualms about telling my age. Shall you ask it, Harreld?" she said with a twinkle in her eye. Bethhberry merely laughed aloud and turned towards the commotion that was arising from the back. It appeared that Eowdwin and Falco were approaching, with Saeryn at their side.

"And who is minding our other lass," asked Bethberry. "We should be called the Inn of the Lost Lasses, I am thinking."
Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #355
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Eodwine and Falco

"Lasses lost or not, women, crones, you're all a great danger to an honest man!" cried Eodwine, but turned to Saeryn. "Present company excepted, of course!"

"And for how long?" Saeryn retorted, grinning.

"Ah me! And a lady up at Bywater in the Shire told me I have a silver tongue! I cannot win a point or a wager, let alone a free breakfast here in my home town's best inn!"

The four of them sat down at the table just over from Ruthven, Garreth, Harreld, and another young lass whose eyes seemed large with taking in all that was going on about her. "I am hungrier than ever and ready to race that old Ruthven to the bottom of my plate, and then some!"

"Aye!" put in Falco. "'Tis past time for first breakfast!"

"How is the young lass?" Hama asked.

"Why, there she is at the door!" Falco announced, his eyes wide.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #356
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

Gudyrn

She poked her auburn head out the door to check that the coast was clear. Gudryn was about to make her move when she heard a passerby mumbling about how the damage had been only a bear.

Only a bear?

A small amount of comfort went into her, oh thank The One!, but still she looked about to catch a glimpse of her rescuers, namely Eodwine and the small one. Gudryn had heard of his kind before, Hobytla, yes that had to be it, she had heard tales from the Lady Elder of how four of the little people had saved Middle-Earth.

Surely he couldn't be one of them?, Gudryn laughed to herself, what a naive thought she was older to know better. She shook her freckled face and looked in the opposite direction, the Inn was becomg busy and she didn't do well in a crowd.

"Why, there she is at the door!" Falco announced, his eyes wide.

She backed into the room and gave him a wide eyed look of fear, she tensed and began to shake. Eodwine yet again leaving behind a well deserved breakfast walked over to her with a reassuring smile.

"Come, Lady Gudryn. There's no need to fret, I'll walk you to the table if you like", Gudryn looked up at him. "I....there is something important that I must tell you".

He looked at her intently, "what is it lass?".

Her eyes watered up again, "Rand" she spoke in a hushed whisper as if saying it any louder would bring him forth through the door with his blood spattered staff. "What if he comes looking for me? I was horrified to hear of the intruder, how glad I was when it turned out to be only a bear".

He smiled at her, "whether bear or no I promised to protect you". She nodded, "then I will go with you to the table".

Last edited by Esgallhugwen; 02-08-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:34 AM   #357
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth laughed. The two men in front of her were getting berated for something she was sure they weren't even thinking. And what was it any of her business whether they were flirting or not? She didn't even know what flirting was, the silly fool that she was. It was now plain to everyone around that she was innocent and somewhat naive and the thought of this made her blush.

"No, not at all, there's no problem. I'm 17, though small for my age." She smiled at the looks on Harreld and Garreth's faces.

She knew she was small and that many said that the lack of exercise and fresh air while she had tended her father had gone and stunted her growth. But she didn't mind being small, quite the contrary. All the women of Rohan seemed so strong-minded and iron-willed, she liked being different in a way. Surely there were men out there who wanted a wife who was dependent on them no matter what, instead of a woman that were always so independent. She hoped that that fact would play in her favour when it came time for her to wed. She shuddered inwardsly, marriage, it seemed such a curse to be born female and not be able to remain single and independent. But while she still tended her father, she was sure that she would remain unattached. She had seen women - both happy and sad - who were married. She hoped that when she was wed she would have a husband who loved her and cherished her for who she was.

She looked up and noticed that Harreld and Garreth were still gaping - most likely because of the shock of her revealing her age - and she giggled quietly to herself as she took another bite of her breakfast, the flavour suddenly returning to it and becoming delicious once more to her tongue.

Last edited by peral; 02-09-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #358
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield Harreld and Garreth

The twins stared at the girl, Ayeth, in surprise.

Just then, the hobbit at the next table said, "Why there she is now!" All eyes turned to the door, and the taller of the two Rohirric men got up and went to the girl standing in doorway. She seemed to be quite scared, but the man reassured her and brought her to the table he shared with the others.

Garreth, as usual, found his tongue first.

"You're full grown then." She nodded pleasantly while she chewed her food with obvious relish. The two men looked meaningfully at each other, which did not go unnoticed by Bethberry.

"See there now? The two of you are sizing up this lass for marriage. Admit it, now!"

"Let's not be hasty, innkeeper," Garreth said. "There''s no harm in asking questions, so long as it's done proper like-"

"-and the answerer doesn't mind being asked," finished Harreld.

"You don't mind being asked, do you, miss?" Garreth said, leaning his head out so that Bethberry could have chopped him a good one like splitting wood if she wanted to. Apparently she was not of a mind to.

Ayeth swallowed a bite of food. "Oh, I don't mind. You two are nice."

Garreth sat back in his chair, grinning at Bethberry in triumph. "There, you see? We're nice."

"She likes us," Harreld added for good measure.

Garreth leaned over the table again. "You could use a little flesh on those wee bones of yours, miss, if you don't mind my saying so."

"Now that is quite enough," Bethberry announced. "Any more talk like that and I'll have you thrown out and your bills due."

The twins looked at Bethberry in sudden trepidation; those who overheard her dire warning could not be sure whether the two were more fearful of being thrown out or their bills due.

"We mean no harm, Missuz Bethberry, ma'am," Harreld said. "It's just that, well-"

"Harreld!" said Garreth. "Not another word."

Harreld waved Garreth off. "Ma'am," he said to Bethberry, "our home and smithy gets only darker with the passing years, you see, and our ma and pa are aging and we've not found ourselves any fair lassies willing to be taken home, if you take my meaning. So really, we're only asking."

"Aye, ma'am," chimed in Garreth. "There's no harm in asking. What does the lassie think?"

"Aye, miss Ayeth, what think you?" asked Harreld. The two men, one hobbit, and two young ladies at the next table couldn't help leaning over, harking to what the girl might say.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 02-09-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:29 AM   #359
peral
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril Ayeth

Ayeth blushed at the sudden attention that she was receiving. And she was stunned by what the men in front of her were saying.

"You mean," she stuttered, "you're saying what I think you're saying?"

At the nods she became even more flustered and skittish. She was confused, afraid, angry and happy all at once. Confused at the implication, afraid of what would happen should she say yes, angry at their forwardness and yet happy that they took such an interest in her. Blushing even more and fidgeting she was barely able to look at Bęthberry in the eye.

"B-but, there are two of you," she managed to stammer out lamely.

This hadn't seemed to have struck the two brothers as they suddenly seemed to notice each other for the first time.

"Why, so there are..." mused Garreth.

Ayeth was pleased with herself for having avoided the question for a little while. At least, until Harreld and Garreth got past this slight problem.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #360
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

"Come Miss Gudryn, a bit of tea will make the world seem less wrong." Saeryn pressed the cup into the girls weak hands, looking into her eyes.

"Aye, and some to-mah-toes, sausages, and a bit of nice bacon is always the cure back in the Shire," interjected Falco.

"Quiet wee one, and let the girl sit. She's only just risen and ye'd be stuffing her like a roast chicken." Falco growled, grinning at Eodwine's friendly slur, before turning back to the girls. "A bit of tea will fix you up nice, Miss."

"Aye, miss Ayeth, what think you?" a man's voice from the table next came across to Saeryn's ears. She could tell that Eodwine had heard, and Hama, and Falco's attention was diverted from the bacon with a sharp elbow to the shoulder. The group leaned, almost imperceptibly to hear the rest.

Saeryn laughed aloud when the girl, Ayeth, she remembered, directed the mens' attention to the fact that she was but one, while they were two. Leaning over, Saeryn whispered just loudly enough to be heard by everyone, including the ever watchful Innkeeper, to the girl. "Have ye ever noticed, miss, that when ye least expect it, yon brawny adventurous sorts arrive? Methinks it might be planned a'purpose." The girl giggled helplessly while the twins blushed. Hama and Eodwine hid their amusement behind hands barely big enough to cover their smiles. Falco had returned to his breakfast, but was smiling into his drink. "If my friends here don't mind, you are all welcome to join us."