The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Lenwe
Animated Skeleton

Lenwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting What if...

Smaug survived till the battle of pelannor fields and the balrog ,and during the battle of pelannor fields the balrog attacked Lorien from right side, and smaug from top and a army of orcs from Dol Guldor attack Lorien from the right side?
Lenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that had happened, then The Lord of the Rings would have been a very different book, but ultimately it would not have mattered because Frodo would have destroyed the Ring and the war would still be won by the good guys (that is, assuming that Smaug and the balrog did not kill Frodo at some point).

-Angmar
Old 01-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
Lenwe
Animated Skeleton

Lenwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that happened lets says smaug goes back to erebor and the balrog goes back to Moria.And Gandalf and all the elves Leave to the undying lands.Could the men take on the Balrog and Smaug during the night.Lets say they attack rohan first.
Lenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Well, since Tolkien was in control, he didn't let that happen... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
first of all Gandalf killed the balrog. assuming that the balrog lived that would mean that Gandalf would have died, and there was no way that that was going to happen, so that takes care of the balrog. as for Smaug. it is hard to say how thing would have happened. i think that is Snaug were to have survived Laketown and everything things would have ended there. if you go back to The Hobbit and look it states that the dwarves and Bilbo were trapped in the tunnel and if Smaug was to survive they wouldnt have been able to escape. so there you have it. you wouldnt have had LOTR if Smaug was to survive.

i must agree with Knight of Gondor. Tolkien was writing the book and he didnt let that happen. if he did only he would know where he was going to go with the story.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, And "if Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save" Lorien. But Tolkien must have something (plot) to work on.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
first of all Gandalf killed the balrog. assuming that the balrog lived that would mean that Gandalf would have died, and there was no way that that was going to happen, so that takes care of the balrog.
Gandalf did die.

As for if it attacked Lorien. Hmm, I would say Galadriel would be able to defeat it, but I don't know if she would risk it or not. Since, you can't kill a balrog without sacrificing your own life (atleast telling from the history of Balrog slayings). I wonder if Elrond would have sent Glorfindel to do the dirty work, because I don't really even see Celeborn defeating the Balrog.

I don't see any reason why the Balrog would get the sudden urge to attack Lorien, but it is an interesting what if question.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-13-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye Wasting Time...

Spending time on 'what ifs' is pretty much a waste, but, hey, needless speculation is really fun sometimes.

Well, Lothlorien had a lot of archers, and considering they were probably as good or better than Bard, Smaug would have been shot down pretty quickly. The Balrog would have been a bit more trouble, but the elves could swarm if they had to.

The newscast would be like this:

Dan Rathelf: "It's nothing like I've ever seen! I'm seeing a mad herd of elves trampling over a Balrog. And this just in, over at Pelennor Fields, we're receiving a report that at this same instant there is an army of undead warriors swarming a Mumakul! What a coincidence! This could be just the thing to change the outcome of these battles."

And that just leaves a bunch of pansy orcs to deal with. Childsplay!
Old 01-13-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

They wouldn't be able to simply over-run the Balrog because of their numbers. Their weapons would have been no use (remember Aragorn and Boromir trying to join Gandalf in the fight, they wouldn't have been able to do anything). It would take someone like Gandalf, or a powerful elf lord/lady like Glorfindel, Galadriel, or possibly Elrond.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
Maura

The Eye Another what if...

And then let's say that all the orcs mutated into trolls and went on a rampage! (Just kidding )
Perhaps there... *quits posting*
Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 PM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Well, Lothlorien had a lot of archers, and considering they were probably as good or better than Bard, Smaug would have been shot down pretty quickly.
Did they also have a burglar to get close to Smaug and find out his weak spot?

I suppose they had Elven sight. But I still think that you are selling Smaug rather short, particularly given that the assumption here seems to be that he is part of a marauding force, rather than a sole attacker.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #12
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Well, I suppose Galadriel could always dig Radagast up, since he lives nearby, then put the fear of, well, herself on him to do his darndest...

The Balrog WOULD be worn out from Gandalf-fighting, but I still wouldn't put his chances of being taken down too high. This is, after all, Radagast...

Still, he would be that much more worn down that Celeborn and a long string of archers (if necessary) could be sent in to finish him off, suicide Glorfindel/Ecthelion style...

All they need is a rock and a high place.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #13
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

But if normal swords are no use, then would arrows do any good either? Would any regular weapon harm a Balrog?

Oh, yeah. What if the coming of Smaug and the Balrog started a HUGE forest fire in Lorien? And all the Elves were trapped?! 'Elves: Go directly to Mandos. Do not pass the Grey Havens. Do not get a free ship ride.'
Old 01-15-2005, 07:44 PM   #14
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Why would Smaug even attack Lorien? he doesn't know anything about it and doesn't have a bone to pick with them. he'll probaly just head north to the grey mountains or try to retake Erebor, and also the Balrog probaly wouldn't venture outside of Moria too...
Old 01-24-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

If the Balrog lived wouldn't that mean that Gandalf would have to die? And if Gandalf REALLY died, then a lot of other people would die. So if the Balrog was there, it would change a lot of stuff in the story. I definitely agree with Knight of Gondor.
Assasin is offline   Reply With Quote