The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #721
Mekor Karun
Newly Deceased

Mekor Karun has just left Hobbiton.
Alright, since no one seems willing to take the helm, i suppose i will. Where were the Palantiri when Frodo first set out from Hobbiton?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #722
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
One in the tower of Elostirion on Emyn Beraid, two lost in the Icebay of Forochel, one in Orthanc, one in Minas Tirith, one lost in the waters of Anduin, one in Barad-dűr.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #723
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I fully agree with Pitchwife, I'm just pointing out here that since you have not specified that these must be the palantiri of M-e one could also add the Master-stone in the Tower of Avallone on Tol Eressea.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #724
Mekor Karun
Newly Deceased

Mekor Karun has just left Hobbiton.
BIngo, Pitchwife, and good point, the might. Pitchwife's turn.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #725
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks!
Name a one-eyed, limping Dwarf.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #726
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wow, seriously, I don't know if this is too easy and I'm just too dumb to notice the obivous answer, or if it's that hard that I just don't know enough lore, but I cannot come up with any answer for this.

A small hint perhaps?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #727
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Hint: he's quite prominent, but his physical handicap is only mentioned once. In LotR.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #728
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Wow, Pitchwife, you never stop amazing me! Without the tip for LotR I still would be searching.

The answer is Thráin II, who was injured at the battle of Azanulbizar.

Quote:
None the less in the morning Thráin stood before them. He had one eye blinded beyond cure, and he was halt with a leg-wound; but he said: 'Good! We have the victory. Khazad-dűm is ours! ' ~ Appendix A of LotR, Durin's Folk
I'll have to dig through the books long and hard to find something matching this question!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #729
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up

Correct, of course! And don't think I doubted for a moment that you'd get it.
(Want to know how I came up with this? Opened the book on a random page and picked the first detail that looked obscure enough. Maybe you'd like to try the method...)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #730
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Who could help Elves heading south?

I have by the way used the method you suggested and it was the best I could come up with given the page I was on.

And also, Pitchwife, I like your sig!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #731
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nobody? Want some help?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #732
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

I've got an idea... Elves heading south, as in, Tuor and the exiles of Gondolin on their march to Sirion's Mouth via Nan-tathren? In this case, the helper would be Ulmo, whose power was in the great stream and protected them (or words to that effect). Is that it?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #733
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, the answer does indeed make sense, but it's not what I had in mind.

I'm thinking Third Age.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #734
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

White Tree

Ah... then maybe the Elves are Amrod, Nimrodel and company heading from Lórien to Edhellond? UT, History of Galadriel and Celeborn:
Quote:
'If she [Nimrodel] came through the settled lands of Gondor', they said, 'she would not be molested, and might receive help; for the Men of Gondor are good[...]'
So the answer would simply be 'Men of Gondor'?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #735
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

You apparently have a palantir of your own with which to find the answer within the works.

I have not expected this to go this quickly... thread is yours!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #736
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
You apparently have a palantir of your own with which to find the answer within the works.
Grrr...you found me out!
Apparently Feanor had his apprentices make some small-scale models in imitation of the stones he made himself. Don't ask me how they survived all the cataclysms of the intervening ages, but occasionally they're still sold as marbles at car-boot sales - that's where I got mine. Works perfectly, but it hurts your eyes trying to read a book in it.

Speaking of books:
Which person of royalty was famous for making books with his own hands?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #737
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Hmm...

The only that I can come up with right now is Merry.

The first part - he was "royalty" I guess since he was the Master of Buckland after all, and part of the ruling house of Buckland.

The second part - from all the people that I could think of he is the only one that made several books, all other "royalties" wrote just one for example Elendil with the Akallabęth. Merry at least wrote the Herblore of the Shire, Old Words and Names in the Shire, the Reckoning of Years and contributed to the Tale of Years.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #738
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Nice thought about Merry, but sorry, no. You've got to think of somebody way more exalted - I do mean royalty as in 'a house of kings'.
Elendil, although he wrote only that one book (that we know of), is warmer.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #739
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Pipe

Ha-ha, I found it! Thing is I was concetrating on books that we know more of, such as those written by Merry, but I realised that it's not really necessary to know what the books were exactly.

As such, the answer seems to be Tar-Elendil (so that's why Elendil was so "warm" ), of whom the following is said in the UT, The Line of Elros: Kings of Númenor:

Quote:
He was also called Parmaitë, for with his own hand he made many books and legends of the lore gathered by his grandfather.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #740
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Thumbs up

See? You don't need a palantír after all! Tar-Elendil it is. Take it away!

(Btw, you realize we two have been playing ping-pong with this thread for over a month now? I wonder where everybody else is - hopefully we haven't scared them away?!)
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #741
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes, you're right about the ping-pong part, but I used to have that with Legate a lot, after a while others will join in, it's always like that.

Who grabbed her spouse by the beard?

I was trying to go with "its spouse" but I realised it would be pointless.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #742
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Nah, obvious! Silly me was thinking about it for several minutes, thinking who the heck could that have been, whether some Morwen or whoever (trying to figure out which Men had beards), but of course it's Goldberry.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #743
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

I start suspecting that Legate is in fact Voldemort. I just happen to say his name in here and POOF! he already gives a correct answer.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #744
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I start suspecting that Legate is in fact Voldemort. I just happen to say his name in here and POOF! he already gives a correct answer.
Mu ha ha ha ha ha ha!

*Makes a Horcrux out of the 'Downs* (Hey, that would be cool, wouldn't it? I'd like to see poor Harry try to destroy it - no chance!)

Ha, I haven't been doing this for a long time. Sooo... let's try it this way.

Who had cast his/her own greatest and most beloved treasure into a pit?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #745
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Maglor cast the Silmaril into a pit when he realized that he no longer had a claim to it.
Loslote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:35 AM   #746
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Good try (and welcome to the 'Downs btw!), and I might also add that it surprises me that it took so long for somebody to try this answer, because I have been expecting it far more early. However, as you might have figured from my way of writing, this is not the answer I am looking for. Because, actually, the person who cast the Silmaril into a pit was Maedhros, not Maglor, but neither of the names is the correct answer for this question anyway. Because Maglor cast his Silmaril into the Sea, not into a pit, whereas Maedhros cast himself into the pit along with the Silmaril. And the person who I am talking about didn't cast itself in there, just the abovementioned "his/her own greatest and most beloved treasure".

(I think it could also be argued whether the Silmaril could be called their "most beloved treasure" at the time.)

But do not let the unsuccessful attempt scare you away It is nice to see "new blood" in the Quiz Room.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #747
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Could also be argued that Sam's pans weren't his most prized possession (after all, he kept Galadriel's dirt) at the time when he pitched them into that pit in Mordor... but that's what came to mind for me...

So count that as a guess.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #748
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

And indeed that's what I meant. Good! Take the thread, Mnemo.

As for the dirt, good point, I didn't think of that. But anyway, it could truly be argued, but Sam had a really hard time parting with his pans, and certainly it had been his most prized possession for all the journey before he got Galadriel's gift, and for all his former life, it seems.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #749
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
And indeed that's what I meant. Good! Take the thread, Mnemo.

As for the dirt, good point, I didn't think of that. But anyway, it could truly be argued, but Sam had a really hard time parting with his pans, and certainly it had been his most prized possession for all the journey before he got Galadriel's gift, and for all his former life, it seems.
And depending on how you define "possession"... well, Sam certainly wasn't going to pitch his master into the crevasse...

Although that's a really funny mental picture.

It'll take a bit but I'll figure out something.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #750
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Who is really good with accents?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #751
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I am really wondering about this one. Let me try a blind shot: Haldir?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #752
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

You mean accents as in different manners of pronunciation, right?

EDIT: Maybe someone like Pengolodh would know a lot about accents.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #753
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No to either, although I can bet that Pengolodh would be good at such. This one's based off an explicit canonical statement.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #754
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well... you say it is a canonical statement... the only thing that could fit this and that came to mind is Beregond's statement to the hobbits:

Quote:
Hobbit?’ said Beregond.
‘That is what we call ourselves,’ said Pippin.
‘I am glad to learn it,’ said Beregond, ‘for now I may say that strange accents do not mar fair speech, and hobbits are a fair-spoken folk.
The fact that Beregond could say that strange accents do not mar fair speech means that he had some insight into accents. Anyway, besides him I can't think of anyone else, except maybe some Elvish loremaster.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #755
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, so let me make just a blind shot, in case Miggy didn't get it right and until I think of something better. How about Galadriel? All this pronounciation of Dwarven names or whatnot? But that's probably not it anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #756
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

To clarify:

By "good at accents" I don't mean being able to recognize them: I mean being able to mimic them.

And you're looking in the wrong part of the text for the statement.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #757
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Saruman;

Gandalf to Gimli "And how would you know that? he could like me to you should it suit his purpose his voice(At this point I'm paraphrasing) has a deep magic and power in it.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:31 AM   #758
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Power, yes.

Accents, not necessarily.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #759
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh man!... It's there it's there...and it's gone...

Wait it's floating and... Merry I for some unknown reason seem to recall a staement about him copying voices.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #760
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Oh man!... It's there it's there...and it's gone...

Wait it's floating and... Merry I for some unknown reason seem to recall a staement about him copying voices.
...And I don't. Sorry; if it's there that's not the one I had in mind.