Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2003, 10:58 PM   #201
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Lotar watched the camp bustle around him, and paid no heed. The last few days had been filled with small farmhouse raids. What little talk came from town was of fear of a dark menace pillaging and killing.

'Killing...' Lotar thought.

'I would have no death in this place, but...'

He began to think about how futile and childish his own ideals now seemed. He has saved his old friend, and received condemnation for it. Yet he resolved he had done what was right.

He looks at the bandits going in and out, and felt he had lost his camp. Guthwine had given him chores to occupy him, and not what he was sent here to do. He grit his teeth when his thougths strayed to that man.

He was even more enraged when he found of a mision to find the towns defenses was organised with no word to him.

'I have come here for survival. He came here for war. Curse him' he said out loud.

He felt helpless, and he had only felt that once before in his long life.

Kandel approached him slowly and said 'Guthwine is now taking volunteers to go on that mission of his. Shall I go?'

'Yes son. You must go. I am in no state of mind to. They need some sense, those fools. They will be the death of us all'
Old 12-14-2003, 08:59 PM   #202
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Andreth, Edmund, and Kali:

In normal times, Andreth might have noticed that her son did not look terribly happy when he rose from bed and came stumbling down to breakfast. But times were not normal. With so many guests packed into the Pony, Andreth found herself besieged with problems of every sort and had precious little time to devote to Edmund.

That morning, his mother came sprinting down to breakfast after spending two hours untangling a whole series of mix-ups in the kitchen and stables. She gave Edmund a perfunctory kiss, and hustled him off to school without really talking with him or taking any notice of how he felt.

Once they made their way into the classroom, the Innkeeper again found herself at the middle of a small storm. This time, there were several students who sought advice or reassurance about some of the worries concerning the bandits and their raids. Andreth took time to listen, while blithely ignoring Edmund's insistent tugs on the back of her skirts. She'd turned around just once in the middle of a discussion with one of the youngsters, issuing a terse reminder that Edmund must wait till later.

As the lesson began, the boy looked increasingly morose and withdrew to the back of the room, doodling pictures of rabbits who limped sadly across the middle of his slate. Once or twice, he stared vacantly through the window and caught a glimpse of his beloved bunnies still trapped in their hutch. By the time recess came, the young boy was feeling miserable and wondering if his mother even remembered that he existed.

When the children began a game of tag near the side door of the Inn, Edmund wandered off by himself. Before the lad could get too far, Kali waved to get Edmund's attention and ran up, pouring out an avalanche of questions in typical hobbit fashion, "Why are you so sad? What's wrong? Can I help?"

The two lads had gotten to know each other better over the past week as they went about their tasks of arranging the food in the pantries and caring for the animals. There were far fewer squabbles than when school had first begun. Still, Edmund wasn't sure whether he should trust Kali with his secret. But if he didn't talk to someone soon, he thought he was going to burst.

He sidled over to the hobbit and whispered conspiratorily in his ear, "Something bad is going to happen to the rabbits. I don't know what to do. Cook vows to put them in the stew pot. Even mama doesn't know." His face turned dour, "Not that she would care!"

Kali stared down at the ground and thought for several minutes before he spoke, "Maybe we could find a way to save the rabbits? Just us.....the children at the school?"

"That's a good idea. But, how?"

By this time, several of the children had heard the lads talking and roamed over to listen. Kari quickly piped up with her idea. "I know just what we could do. A few months ago, I went on a picnic, up past the northern gate. It rained so hard we had to take shelter. We found a little cave, set a ways back, near the end of the hedge where the cliff hangs down. It's a perfect place to hide a family of rabbits and not too far from the city. We could take turns bringing them food."

Kali beamed, "Yes, and there won't be any problem getting up there. I know just where there's a hole in the hedge....the place where I found my treasures. We can slip out at night and not have to go through the main gate. No one will even know."

Everyone in the circle nodded in agreement until Edmund reminded them, "But where will the rabbits live? The hutch they have now is just too big for us to carry." Edmund pointed towards the heavy wooden crate that rested on long poles.

"We know! We know!" Pearl and Hamson squealed out together, raising their hands and waving them in the air to get everyone's attention.

"Shh!" Kali reminded them. "Don't let the teacher or the older children hear."

Pearl leaned over and whispered, "Our father takes care of little animals when they get sick. He has wonderful small wicker carriers. He has stacks and stacks of them and wouldn't even notice if a few were missing. We'd need three of them, but they'd be no problem to carry."

Edmund looked over at his friends and grinned, "These are wonderful ideas! But we have to act fast. Tonight we'll meet up under the large tree by the north gate. No one has to know. Just sneak out once everyone is asleep."

The faces in the circles beamed as the heads of the children, Big and Little, wagged up and down in excitement. Then Kali put a finger to his pursed lips and reminded everyone to be quiet about their secret for the remainder of the day.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:52 AM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:03 PM   #203
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Guthwine:

Reluctant to trust the newest recruits, Guthwine had decided to bring Kandel and Soran, two members of the original scouting party, along with the young and impetuous Rudgar. At least the lad had a stout heart and could use his honied tongue to wriggle out of difficult situations. Guthwine hoped his choice of comrades would placate Lotar whose anger had spilled over upon hearing the news that an expedition had been planned without his knowledge or consent. In the interests of maintaining a modicum of peace between them, Guthwine had grudgingly backed down and agreed to let Lotar finalize the plans for the group.

By mid-afternoon, four outlaws huddled around a small table in Lotar's tent surveying a crude map that had been set down in front of them and listening to final instructions before setting out on their journey to Bree. They expected to arrive by early evening and spend a few hours studying the layout of the town, assessing its manpower and defenses, before returning to the camp later that night. Each of the men carried a dagger or sword hidden within the folds of his cloak or tucked under the belt at his waist.

At Lotar's insistence, the outlaws would be taking horses rather than travelling on foot. Strangers on horseback were a common sight in the streets of Bree and would elicit no special notice, since, even now, the town could boast a number of caravans arriving at its gates. And if the identity of the men was ever exposed, the horses would provide their swiftest means of escape.

The men hurried out of the tent and, heading southwest, strode across the camp mounted on their horses. On into the forest they trotted, being careful to avoid the smaller towns or any of the outlying farmsteads. The afternoon sun had dipped low in the sky, almost touching the far horizon, by the time the riders reached the northern outskirts of Bree and came to the opening in the hedge where they could slip through into the town.

Before they pushed through the hedge, Guthwine tugged on Rudgar's sleeve and beckoned to Kandel and Soran to come stand by his side. He looked around and whispered fiercely to them, "Go now, and have a look at the city, and gather the information that we need. Do not waste your time on idle feasting or drinking, but do the job we were sent to do. We will all meet this evening outside the Pony, the largest hostelry in Bree, two hours past dinnertime. Then we will make our way back to this place and push onward to our encampment."

"Meanwhile, be careful what you do and say. Listen to the conversations around you on the streets; do not be afraid to talk to others. Find out everything you can, but be careful to hide your true identity. And, wherever you go, do not get left behind in the city!" Here, Guthwine stared straight at Soran. The men nodded mutely in reponse, and then each pushed his body through the hedge and came out on the other side, within the boundaries of Bree.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:10 AM December 29, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:06 PM   #204
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Tara's post for Kandel:

Kandel strode through the city, not worrying about blending in. After all this time, people thought he was a regular to the city. Lotar had let him wander in and out, collecting valuable snippits of information. He nodded politely at different people that passed him.

‘Good day to ye, Fean’ said one of the bar-rats, out for fresh air. This name he used in the town. It was from his mothers own name, and he could not think of anything more fitting in looking for such a cause as this. He also liked hearing something close to her name being said out loud again.

‘And to ye Holth’ Kandel said in return ‘The service any better in there today?’ he said with a wink.

‘What do you think!’ said the man with a hoot and a wave, which was enough to send him off balance.

Kandel lowered his head and was hit by the dank and smoky air of the tavern. He ordered an ale and joked with the barliman, before sitting down for a good yarn with the tired men of the town.

‘We’ve reached dark times, it is easy to be seen’ said one grey-haired man, pipe clenched in his teeth ‘Our defenses aren’t meant for war! We have a task defending against these awful bandits!’

Some grumbled in agreement; others waved him off. Kandel sat and listened carefully.

‘I still find this city too divided! We have too much trouble getting along with Halflings, let alone defending from the foreign menace burning at our borders!’

Another spoke up ‘I think we have little choice. Those bandits are destroying us bit-by-bit! We have to get along if we are to survive! We need those Halflings' help if the wall is to be mended!’

‘So they are mending the wall. It is a wise thing to do in their case, though they have not the time to do it properly’ Kandel thought inwardly. His thoughts were interrupted when a man called out his ‘name’

‘What do you think of this Fean? Your words have always guided us well, boy!’

‘My words have hardly been fitting for these things! If it was how to woo the carpenter’s sister, I could help ye mightily!’ he drew a rose out of his pocket and handed it to one of the barmaids.

‘But of war and politics, I have no real advice to give ye. I only lend my ear to such things’ he leant back as they chuckled at his antics, and took another mouth of ale.

‘My, that hardly seems like you…Fean’ said a voice as a hand clamped on his shoulder. Kandel saw the look in Guthwine’s eye and didn’t shift his expression.

‘Well Uncle, you’ve been away from these parts so long! Last you saw of me I was dueling squirrels and snails with a wooden sword! I have lived and learnt since!’ Kandel was quick to introduce Guthwine as his uncle Endol, and sat him down for an ale.

As Guthwine moved, he hissed at him ‘Lived and learnt? Obviously not as much as was needed! These are drunkards! What could you possibly learn from them! What did I say about drinking? And what is with this ridiculous name you are traipsing about with?’ His voice was becoming more elevated as he continued.

‘You haven’t changed Uncle! I am no child, I know this town well, and all its fine people!’ he waved his hands out to the men of the Bar, who cheered in response. Kandel took another drink and covered his words with his glass.

‘This method has saved the entire camp in the past. You have less luck asking at random. And what of my name? Would you say that to one other who bore it?’

Guthwine had little to say to him of this, but his expression did not lack in telling his feelings of what he said. Satisfied with this, he leant back on his stool and said ‘Are you not expected back at the house Uncle? Mother will be grieved if you are not home soon, she worries so! But I have the day to myself, so I shall see you a little after dinnertime! Fare thee well!’ and with that he turned his back on Guthwine, and went back to regaling his friends.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:17 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:09 PM   #205
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Guthwine:

Scowling at the impudence of Kandel's response, Lotar hastily exited the Inn and headed towards the marketplace where a few random stalls were still set up despite the lateness of the hour. He stopped to purchase a number of items, pots and pans and blankets and other supplies that would be needed in greater numbers for those who would soon be arriving from the Weather Hills.

The bandits had plenty of cash to get them through the night. Many of the farmhouses they'd pillaged had small lockboxes with copper and silver coins and even an occasional gold piece. Earlier that evening, he'd handed out money to the others in the party and told them they could spend it as they saw fit, as long as they could manage to strap the goods onto their horse's back.

He heard his own stomach growl and wished that he could tarry at the Inn and order some dinner. It had been a long time since he'd had a proper meal, something more than simple camp fare. But time was too valuable to waste. There was no sense sitting and eating when he could be gathering needed information. He threw down a tuppence for a hot bun at one of the stalls and wolfed it down in two gulps, but his stomach continued to tell him that he was very hungry. Finally, Guthwine stopped to barter with a huntsman who had packed up his things and was just trudging homeward, persuading him to part with half a side of venison for a goodly sum of cash.

The trip home would be a long one. With each of the men purchasing supplies, weapons and other trinkets, the horses would be hard pressed to go any faster than a walk. They would probably not see the camp again till an hour or two before sunrise. Guthwine promised himself that, once they'd gotten out onto safer ground, he'd let the men stop and prepare a hearty meal of venison steaks to get them through the night.

The rest of the time, he spent wandering around, mentally memorizing the layout of the streets. He slipped into the guardhouses to have a look at things and see how many weapons were stockpiled there. He madea note of the fact that there was a good amount of tar that could be heated up and hurled over at the invaders. They'd have to take precautions against that.

These sentry points were interspersed at strategic points along the gates and throughout the entire city. Strange that the Breelanders would go to such trouble, yet let a hole in the hedge wide open. Perhaps, it was what he'd heard from one or two folk along the street. The hobbits were so inept that they couldn't tell a good piece of work from a bad one.

Guthwine made only one other major purchase, rapping on the door of a metalsmith, to strike up a conversation on the dangers of the bandits and purchase a new set of daggers, the best he'd ever had, that were inlaid with fine silver. When questioned by the fellow as to what he would do with them, he told the man not to worry, that he'd find a good use for them in the battle that was soon to come. At one point, the smith's children ran into the shop laughing and playing, something that made Guthwine feel uncomfortable. He'd just as soon think of the Breelanders as fat and ungrateful pigs who did not deserve the riches falling on their heads, not as devoted husbands and fathers.

Then he wandered back towards the appointed meeting place, hoping the others had bought the needed supplies for the arriving refugees and also managed to get additional information that would make the assault on the city a little easier.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:09 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:15 PM   #206
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Eruantalon's post:

Looking around at the hurried city, he wondered what he could learn. Now how do these people ever expect to fight us off if they can’t organize their city? Walking down an alley way he heard two men talking. They were at the end of this twisting and turning stone path.

“When do you think those bandits are going to attack?” asked the first man.

“When they're good and ready! They don’t seem to be in any hurry. I have heard lots of stories about bandits raiding farms, though,” the other replied.

“Our mayor and his men have some good plans….but I really don’t know what’s going to happen with this town,” said the first man.

“They’ll get their’s if they try and get into the city. We have good walls and protection. We just have to get a few more things," replied the other.

No use in listening to two people who know nothing more than town gossip; he had better things to take care of. He walked into a small pub and sat in the corner where no one else was. The bar maid asked if he wanted anything. He answered “Only to get out of the cold for a few moments and not be bothered.”

He looked around at the people--some drinking away, some looking very worried. He keep the faces of the worried ones in sight at all times. Some of them sat at a table together. Some were alone, maybe they knew something. After a few minutes he decided not to sit there longer. They didn’t look like they would open up to strangers. The drunks he didn’t want anything to do with.

It was getting vary late now. Time to get back to the meeting place. The Prancing Pony was waiting with his cohorts. Nothing much done or seen. He had to get back quickly and hope he didn’t miss them.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:18 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #207
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Pio's post - Pearl and Hamson Comfrey

Everard Comfrey was up late, much to the annoyance of his son and daughter. His oft heard motto was “Early to bed, and early to rise.” And they could not fathom what was keeping him up so late.

‘Now what’s he doing?’ asked Pearl, as she slipped a pair of leggings on under her skirt. She was not fond of the cold, and was determined to be as warm as possible on this excursion. ‘He’s checking on that injured marten that Farmer Bracken found down by the stream.’ Hamson, standing on a wooden chair he’d dragged beneath the window, dared a longer peek through the crack in the curtains. ‘I think he’s giving him some slivers of fish.’

‘Pearl! Hamson! Are you two still awake in there?!’ The sound of their mother’s voice sent them quietly scurrying beneath the quilts. ‘We’re going to sleep now, Mami!’ said Pearl, hoping Delphinia would not take a notion to check on them. ‘Just tucking Hamson in!’ Hamson giggled nervously at the deceit and Pearl smacked him lightly on the shoulder whispering ‘Hush!’

Sometime later (it seemed like ages in their imaginings) they heard the door to their burrow close, and the familiar sounds of Papi blowing out the lantern and trundling off to bed. Hamson poked Pearl in the side after a goodly amount of time had passed and soft snores issued from their parents’ room.

‘Let’s go,’ whispered Hamson, throwing the covers back from his side of the bed. Picking up his scarf, he wrapped it about his neck, then climbed on the chair at the window and wriggled quietly out. He landed with an ooph! on the hard ground and crouched down quickly listening for any movement from his parents’ window. Hearing none, he motioned to his sister, giving her the ‘all clear!’

They sneaked through the pools of shadows cast by the bright moon until they reach their father’s storage shed. ‘This should do,’ whispered Pearl, carefully taking out three medium sized wicker carriers. Hamson fingered the latches on each, making sure they were in good working order. ‘These’ll do fine,’ he agreed, loading them onto their little pull wagon. ‘Lucky for us, Papi let me clean the tools today. I asked if I could oil the wheels for the carts, too. So we shouldn’t make too much noise.’

The town was sleeping after a hard day’s work. Houses and burrows alike were shuttered and dark. Hamson and Pearl went quietly and quickly to the agreed on meeting place. The large tree by the North end of the Hedge loomed up like a large, dark giant. Standing in a shadow of their own, the two children peered hard into the night toward the tree, looking for any sign of their companions.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:16 PM December 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #208
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Kali:

All during dinner, Kali squirmed nervously in his seat as he pushed his food from one side of the plate to the other but without actually putting much into his mouth. The young lad said little, staring down at the checkered cloth that his mother had spread out over the board. He occasionally glanced up to peer out the window and see if it was getting dark ouside.

The supper conversation was continuing among the other members of his family, with Rosco and Berilac dropping in to say hello and accepting his mother's invitation to stay and eat. Most of the discussion focused on the work the hobbits and men had done in gathering up the last of the crops and plugging the holes in the hedge. There were only two times when Kali glanced up from his plate and listened more carefully to what was being said. Once, he heard Berilac mention that Will Farroweed had become a serious worker who wasn't afraid of a hard day's labor. That didn't sound like the Will that Kali knew. For, to be truthful, he was still a bit afraid of the older lad. The second time, his mother had observed how foodstuffs were in such short supply that all the townsfolk would have to dig down into their larders and chicken coops to turn up enough provisions to keep everyone fed.

Kali's heart began to thump frantically when he heard these words. He had an irresistable urge to get up from the table and run out the door to make sure that no one would steal off with the conies. With great effort, he kept quiet and did not stir from his seat. For, if his mother had any idea of what he was about to do, she would never agree to such a foolhardy scheme. Kali kept glancing at Ella and Mondy, wondering if they had overheard the conversation in the schoolyard and would decide to disclose exactly what the younger children had planned. After what seemed like a very long time, dinner came to an end with a special treat of bread pudding and treacle. Kali left his pudding sitting on the plate, while his brother and sister bolted down their portions and ran off to throw themselves down on the rug beside the hearth and listen to Berilac's stories.

Kali backed away from the table, politely excusing himself from the others by explaining he was tired, and then scampered down to the room where he and Mondy slept. He dug deep under a pile of dirty clothes drawing out two limp carrots he'd rescued from the school larder earlier that day, hiding them under his pillow. The carrots wouldn't be enough to feed the rabbits for very long so he hoped others would remember to bring some food. Slipping under the bedclothes fully dressed, Kali drew the covers over his head and curled up in a warm ball, waiting for the visitors to leave and his family to go to their beds. Despite his excitement, he found his eyes growing heavier and gradually closing as the grey shadows lengthened and the lantern by his bedstead burned low. Two hours later, he suddenly awoke. His brother had padded down the corridor and jumped into the adjoining bed. Mima followed just behind, tucking in blankets and planting a kiss on both of her lads' curly heads.

Kali listened while his mother's footsteps retreated down the corridor and disappeared inside her room. His heart was pounding so fiercely that he was afraid the noise would disturb his brother. Sliding out of bed and stuffing the carrots in his pocket, Kali tiptoed back to the small parlor that looked out over their garden. No one in the burrow was awake. He pushed on the door and watched it slide open an inch or two. Then he pushed a little harder and slipped his body through the opening, hurriedly unlatching the garden gate and scampering down the darkened street in the direction of the tree that stood near Bree's north gate. As he approached the agreed upon meeting place, he could see several children, Big and Little, already gathered beneath the shadow of the tree holding rabbits and small hutches in their hands.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:53 PM December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #209
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Novnarwen's post - Fippi

Fippi sat alone, gloating. He couldn't really believe he was going out tonight, saving rabbits. In a way he felt very pleased with himself. This was after all a symbol of friendship, between him and his class mates. He giggled, but stopped as soon as his mother passed him by, looking suspiciously at the him.

"You're awfully happy today," she muttered with a short laugh.

Fippi smirked, but didn't answer. He told her that he was tired and wanted to go to bed. His mother looked at him oddly, however, Fippi wasn't surprised by it. He never actually volunteered to go to bed. Hedgar usually had to make him go to bed. Fippi sighed and looked at Rosie, who didn't understand her son's intention. "I am really tired," he added quickly.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked. Fippi opened his eyes wide open. "Well, I mean," Rosie started as soon as she saw the disappointed face expression in her son's face. "You never go to bed willingly so why the sudden ..."

She was interrupted by Hedgar who appeared in the door. "Just let the boy go to bed, or he'll get cranky tomorrow," Hedgar said being amused by the whole scene. He lifted his cup up to his mouth and drank the final drops of tea. He waited for Rosie to come with objections which eventually came. "But Hedgar… Something is wrong! This boy doesn't need sleep! He never goes to bed when he is supposed to, and he isn't very cranky of nature either!" she exclaimed aggressively.

Fippi looked up at his mother and shook his head. She is figuring me out, Fippi thought desperately, trying to look very innocent. He felt his hands being sweaty and his head was getting ever warmer. This was definitely over. If Rosie continued this she would figure it out and he would get hear much yelling for even thinking about getting out so late at night. He shuddered as he straightened up to listen to Hedgar's 'defence'.

"Rosie! For one time sake's, let the boy sleep. He won't get lazy for sleeping once in a while," Hedgar started. He was immediately interrupted by Rosie who raised her voice to another level. She explained that this lazy-thing wasn't the point. "Not the point at all!" she expressed. "The boy is up to something!" She said again, but was overwhelmed by Hedgar's fierce voice.

"It's not like he is doing something against the law," Hedgar said. He continued:" It's not like he is going to run away." Hedgar looked at Fippi and blinked. Fippi almost jumped up by that last sentence, but made himself smile and blink back to his father, who obviously thought there was nothing wrong whatsoever.

After huge debate Fippi’s parents reached the decision that their boy would do nothing wrong. "Right?" Rosie said, looking questioningly at her son. Fippi nodded, but looked worryingly down on the floor. He raised from his stool and made his way out of the room, having his parents behind exchanging worried looks and expressions. He saw Hedgar ending the debate as he made himself another cup of tea. Fippi advanced towards the door of his room and slid through the door. How was he going to make it out of the house when his mother was so suspicious? He had no idea, and soon he gave up the idea of ever getting out of the hobbit hole to be with his friends, saving the rabbits. He undressed and put on his night wear. Fippi looked out of the window, where the sky was already turning dark and the light from the moon shone brightly.

"KNOCK! KNOCK!"

Fippi turned around as he saw the door of his room slide open. Fippi sprang towards his bed and threw himself on it. In a desperate movement he turned the light out and was silent...

"I know you're awake, sonny," Hedgar said as soon as he had tip-toed into the room. Fippi sat up and looked at his father. "Now?" Hedgar said, having another cup of tea in his hand. Fippi frowned while asking; ”Now what?"

"Oh come on boy! You can tell me! What was your ‘plan’? I want to know! I am curious! See? It's eating me alive!"

Fippi was both surprised and stunned by his father’s sudden eagerness to know everything, and for moments Fippi couldn't get himself to speak. He managed to press forwards however, that he was supposed to meet some friends. "From school, that is," he finished. Hedgar looked as if he was in deep thought and now and then he put his cup to his mouth and drank in small gulps. Fippi held his tongue and waited for Hedgar to think this through. At first Fippi couldn't believe he had just told his father. There was absolutely no way he was going away with this, or rather, there was no way Hedgar would allow him to meet friends at this time of night.

"Friends you say?" Hedgar asked thoughtfully. Having emptied his cup and all, Fippi had to think fast. Hadger wasn't very co-operative without tea and sugar running in his veins.

"Aye," Fippi said, as he knew Hedgar loved when people said 'aye' instead of 'yes', which after Hedgar's opinion was too 'Big-Folkish'.

"Well then... Off you go! And I'll cover for you for about 1-2 hours. I cannot guarantee more time," he said quickly now rising from Fippi's bed where, he had been sitting comfortably.

Silently, but with great excitement, Fippi had made it out of the house as soon as his father had agreed. Fippi was still a bit worried about the fact that his father was 'covering' for him, whatever that meant. He shrugged. Now the most important thing was to make it to the agreed meeting-place and hopefully they hadn't gone to the hedge already.

Fippi ran the last bit of the road and met the others, breathing heavily. "Ready?" one of the children asked as soon as he saw Fippi arriving.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:16 PM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 12-28-2003, 07:18 PM   #210
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Will Farroweed

It was noisy at the Inn. It couldn’t help but be so. The place was bursting at the seams with farmers and their families who had come in from the outlying areas of Bree-land. There was no place to get away from the noise at the Pony, every inch not occupied by Hobbits or Men was crammed with farm animals, nose to tail in their proximity. Some creature of one sort or the other was always awake.

Normally, Will did not mind the hubbub and the jostling. He came from a loud family of seven children and two parents. Even his soft-spoken Mother could hammer her opinions home with a great voice if needed. And now that she had reconciled with Big Tom (though if truth be told, he was on his best behavior now around the Hobbit guests because of the watchful eye she kept on him), the family’s room was noisier than ever. At least in the country, when he wanted a bit of quiet, he could walk out to the gnarled apple trees that hedged the pig runs to the west of their house, and hide himself on one of the middle branches, among the leaves. The stars through the leaves moved quietly in their courses, he recalled, and only the occasional call of a nighthawk or the soft whirr of the fruit bats broke the silence.

He used to do his best thinking in the trees. Although, thinking then had mainly run to his nefarious plans to pull mean pranks on some unfortunate victim. He felt different now, though he could not quite put the words to his feelings. There were twinges of conscience now that informed his ponderings. Checkpoints he’d learned to rely on when he was making decisions. To be sure, his mother had planted the seeds, but it had been through his work with the other men on the dike, and his interactions with the Hobbits he had met and worked alongside that the seeds had begun to throw down roots and send up their first sprouts. His new work companions and the patrons at the Inn expected him to act a certain way, expected that he could act a certain way – treated him as a young man on the verge of adulthood, assumed he would make the right decisions, the ones needed.

He needed to make a few decisions tonight, and so found himself heading for the tree he’d used once or twice before. Mistress Woolthistle had extended the invitation to him to attend classes. He’d never been much of a student, and he knew from listening in on the class from time to time, that there were younger children (many of them Hobbits, to be exact) who were leaps and bounds ahead of him in reading and numbers. Now the Old Will would have bullied the ‘smarty-pants’ unmercifully – but the new Will saw it differently. He’d watched the Men and Hobbits attacking a problem with calculations and with written plans; he wanted to be able to do that. His pride warred with his thirst for knowledge – he needed to think this through. One other problem needed solving, too. He was a crack shot with his short, hunting bow. And he had heard about the plan for Hobbit archers in the trap that was being planned. He knew he could help out. But he knew his mother would say no, and he knew he’d need to convince the Hobbit Ranger that he was sincere in wanting to help out.

Will watched the sun’s last finger of light squeeze down below the western rim of the world. He’d brought an apple and a small skin of water with him, and had stuffed a few pieces of jerky in his pocket. He’d even brought a folded a blanket to cushion his back against the bark of the large tree that stood near the North end of the Hedge. From his position on a branch about ten feet off the ground, he watched the lights go out in Bree as he settled in to think. All was quiet for a while, except for the night breezes rustling through the leaves.

Then his ears picked up the occasional creak of wheels along the dusty path, and the soft whisperings of two little voices. Soon they were joined by others, and made their way out through the gap in the Hedge. Big and Little Folk children! In the darkness he could not make out exactly who they were, but he could see them moving in a cluster away from the safety of the Village.

When they had passed a fair way beyond the tree, he climbed swiftly down, landing softly in the leaves below. There was no time to run back to get someone to help; the night was already swallowing them up. With light steps he crept along behind them, being careful to hide behind rocky outcroppings and bushes once one of them, in the lead, had lit a small hooded lantern to light their way . . .

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:34 AM December 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #211
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio’s post – Kari

‘Shh! I think I hear something.’

Kari spoke quietly and motioned for the group to gather round her, hooding her lantern as soon as the children had huddled near her. The night was quiet, a few crickets had been chirping. Something had alerted them, though, and now the darkness hung about the children in heavy silence.

‘I don’t hear anything,’ whispered Fippi, straining his ears to hear. A chorus of ‘Me eithers’ went round the group – from Pearl to Hamson to Edmund to Kali to the twins, Rollo and Randy, who stood close together holding hands (big as they were, the dark still scared them.) Little Lily huddled in against Kari, holding her hand.

‘It must just have been the wind in the dried leaves,’ said Kari, a little louder. She lifted the hood of the lantern and focused a small beam of light out before them. Readjusting the small pack on her shoulders she led them north along the western edge of Bree Hill. She and Kali knew that there were shallow caves in the face of the hill up there. The coneys would be safe and dry and hidden from prying eyes – they could even make a little pen for them for when the children visited them.

She worried about what the animals would eat. Kali had brought two little carrots, and she had a small bag of oats she’d ‘borrowed’ from the mill. It wouldn’t keep them long. ‘Oh, I am going to be in such trouble when my Da finds out about all this!’ she thought to herself. She looked back to where Edmund and Kali now pulled the little cart that Pearl and Hamson had brought. She could hear the coneys that Edmund had brought moving about a bit as the cart hit little bumps in the ground. ‘It will be worth it to keep the little bunnies alive,’ she thought again, hearing him speak quietly to the animals to calm them.

Kari fingered the little knife in the sheath at her belt. Once the sun peeped up enough for them to see better, they could look for edible weeds and grasses in the forest. It was only a short distance from the caves; they could stuff her pack with it and leave it for the coneys.

Then hopefully they could sneak back to town before their families were up and about . . .

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:58 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-08-2004, 01:08 PM   #212
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Orofaniel's post - Rosie

Rosie had by all means the intention to check up on the boy as soon as Hedgar had gone out to the mills, and close them up for the night. Her husband however, didn't show any sign of going that evening. This, particularly, seemed to make Rosie even more curious what Fippi was up too; and perhaps her husband was involved as well. She didn't know...yet.

But soon Rosie forgot about Fippi's very queer behaviour, and started to tidy the kitchen. It looked quite messy after a "hard" day's work in it. When she was done, it had become much darker outside, and even Rosie was starting to get tired. It had been almost two hour since Fippi had gone to bed, and now Rosie remembered that she had planned to check up on him. Hedgar however was seated in the kitchen waiting for the late evening tea that Rosie was making. He smiled as she looked at him.

"I think I'll go and check on Fippi," Rosie said so that she could she her husband's reaction. She smiled again, and went towards the door.

"...B-but the tea dear?" Hedgar asked faintly, rising slowly from his chair. He got up now, when he saw that Rosie was walking towards the door in direction of Fippi’s room. "Sit down honey.." Hedgar said in a kind and low voice. "Lets drink some tea," he said calmly.

Rosie looked at him suspiciously. What on earth was going on here? She wondered. Why didn't her husband want her to check up on her son? It was like Hedgar heard what she was thinking because he told her not "To disturb the boy's beauty sleep", and then he laughed merrily. Rosie however protests: "Boys need no beauty sleep!" She exclaimed and looked with great eyes at her husband. He laughed again; "You are something...aren't you Rosie? Always...this very...amusing creature, that's what you are." he said and laughed even louder.

Rosie couldn't ignore this, and laughed as well. Taking Rosie's hand he led her over to the table again, and pushed her in her chair. There was something wrong here, Rosie thought. Her husband’s hands were all sweaty. They weren't sweaty . . . unless, something.....was going on. Something was wrong. He was nervous, that was it! It was unbelievable how her imagination was teasing with her, and how it created images upon images in her head.

Hedgar got over to the kitchen and picked up two cups and the brought Rosie tea.

This was odd, Rosie thought at once. Hedgar had always been a very kind and loving husband, but she was always the one that served tea. But she had to admit that she liked the idea, and how she was being treated. Like a real lady, she thought.

"Thank you darling," she said and smiled. "The pleasure is mine…" Hedgar said politely, and lifted his cup towards his lips. The tea was quite hot, so the left his mouth as soon as it had come. "Very hot!" He exclaimed.

"Oh...yes, it is indeed." Rosie said and laughed.

"So, what's going on...with Fippi?" She asked suspiciously and she could feel the curiosity eating her up inside. She couldn't quite slip the thought that Fippi had went to bed by himself, and at that time.

"Hm?" Hedgar asked innocently, now picking up his cup again. He looked at her as he was surprised over the question.

"Don't ask if you're surprised now," Rosie said in a teasing, but at the same time suspicious way. Her lips curled slowly when she saw that Hedgar was ignoring the question by taking another long sip of his tea.

Hedgar shrugged, and took a sip of his tea once again. "I t-think he had a bit of a headache." He mumbled. Rosie gasped. Her dear son was sick, and Hedgar hadn't told her! How could he? "He is sick?!?" She asked loudly.

"Noooo...." Hedgar said and sat down the cup again, she took her hand and said: "He's only got a thing headache...t-that's all." He should never have said that, he probably knew that as well, because Rosie was now storming up from the chair. "Why didn't you tell me?" She said curling her lips even more. She seemed upset that her son was sick and that Hedgar hadn't allowed her to help Fippi. "B-because....Fippi wanted to take it easy, and sleep." Hedgar muttered, not seeming the slight of worried at all.

Rosie shrugged. "Perhaps he does...."She said and sat down in the chair.”That was why he wanted to go to bed." She said and sighed. "I can't believe he wouldn't tell his own mother though. Maybe he doesn't like....like me....nursing him." She said and gave a deeper sigh than before. "My dear Fippi is a big boy now...he can handle it alone, that's probably it. That very brave boy of mine..." Rosie said as a tear was streaming down one of her pink cheeks.

"No, honey!" Hedgar said and wiped the tear away. "He loves when you…dull with him.“ He said and gave a faint smile. It was obvious that he didn’t want Rosie to feel bad for anything.

"Yes, you're probably right." Rosie said and sniffed. She took a sip from her tea."He is a big boy now....a big brave boy." She muttered. "Aye, he is indeed." Hedgar said and smiled. Rosie smiled as well, but she could still feel the concern for Fippi. She had always thought of him like a small innocent baby, that needed his mother's love and care for his survival. That was a bit true though, she thought afterwards.

"Let’s make a deal!" Hedgar suggested enthusiastically. Rosie looked up, and waited for Hedgar to continue. "If he doesn't come down tomorrow as early as he always does..." Rosie interrupted Hedgar with her merry laughter. "Yes..?" She said waiting yet again from Hedgar to continue. "....well, then we'll go and talk to him. And then, my dear, you can nurse him...all you want!" He said and smiled at her, now taking a deep breath.

Rosie didn't say anything, she just smiled, over the fantastic idea her husband had just brought up. He was truly a man with a great character.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #213
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arestevana's post for Kirima:

It was dark, and the clouded sky did little to improve matters, making it impossible to see far into the forest. Kirima stood at the edge of the campsite, once again watching for intruders. She cast a longing glance toward the fire behind her, looking enviously at the few bandits seated around it. The weather had grown colder, whispering of winter. The rains that had tormented them were gone, leaving the land no less dry than before. With the cold that now came it seemed that only snow might fall.

The land will see little water until the first warmth of spring floods the parched earth with snowmelt, Kirima thought. If we survive the winter, maybe spring will be kinder. She stared into the woods, thankful for the last few rays of sunlight. Her watch would soon be over, but if she let so much as a rabbit slip into the camp, she knew she could expect a reprimand. The entire camp was tense, with the hint of winter’s approach.

Kirima scanned the woods again, watching for movement. Walking a little ways into the trees she thought she heard a sound above the quiet murmur of the campsite. She cocked an ear and listened. The sound was quiet, but very distinct; something was moving toward the bandit’s camp. Though they were well-hidden by the shadow of the forest, Kirima could see figures approaching. For one alarming moment, she thought the townsfolk had found them. Then she realized that it was the other refugees from the Weather Hills that were now drawing near their camp. She turned and shouted at those sitting by the fire to tell Lotar that the others had come, and then she ran out to meet them.

Soon enough the camp was full of newcomers, and noiser than it had been for a good while. Small children dashed about, playing and laughing. Other folk set up tents and rough shelters, or cut wood to build fires. Lotar and Guthwine were discussing their plans to capture the town with several men who had just arrived, and Kirima joined several other women to prepare a meal for the campsite.

Everyone seemed a good deal more cheerful than before. Those who had traveled with the scouting party found the friends they had left, and listened eagerly to every story from the weather hills. People laughed and talked, and for a while the threat of winter was forgotten.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:23 PM January 09, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #214
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Guthwine:

Guthwine surveyed his companions who'd gathered round him on the steps of the Inn. They'd all returned from their explorations of the city, each one bearing a number of different items that were now bring strapped onto the horses' backs. They'd purchased so many things that they almost appeared to be a group of travelling merchants.

Rudgar was peering through a window into the Common Room where he could hear a string of music blaring out. The sweet smells of cooking food wafted onto the porch.

"That's enough Rudgar," Guthwine snapped back. but keeping his voice low. "We've gotten what we came for and it's time to head out. We'll stop and eat once we've cleared the northern wall and get up to the high ground." He grunted and pointed towards the carcass of the deer which had now been strapped to the back of his horse.

They were just about to leave the Pony when the Innkeeper appeared outside coming up to greet them. She was a young woman in her late twenties, with a head of lovely red curls streaming down her back. The woman halted, look them up and down, and then come over to address them, "You'll be needing a room for the night then? The gates are locked now, and there's no going in or out. I can give you a single room to share for one silver coin. Breakfast, what little there is, is extra."

For a moment, Guthwine felt his tongue cleave to the roof of his mouth, scarcely knowing how to respond. It was Kandel who saved their necks. "But Uncle," he quickly replied, turning to Guthwine. "Didn't you say that we'd be boarding with your kin, the ones with the house at the base of the hill, not far from the furrier's?"

"Ah, yes." Guthwine nodded and managed to blurt out his goodbyes to the Innkeeper as they headed down the steps.

As Andreth turned to re-enter the Pony, a strange thought skimmed through her mind. She knew of no residence near the furrier's at the base of the hill. And she'd never seen any of these folk before, though they claimed to have relatives in Bree. But then another guest came up and asked for a room, and she totally forgot about the strange men.

With a sigh of relief, Guthwine and the other scouts made their way through the hedge and up onto the hill that overlooked the city, just above the cave that Kari had discovered. This was a secluded area, which seemed to be a good spot to make a fire. They kept the blaze small and, in the space of an hour, had cut up the carcass, roasted the steaks, and were enjoying a hasty meal before starting their homeward trek.

At the last minute, just as they were going to break camp and continue down the trail, there was a noise from far below at the base of the hill. Guthwine strained his ears. It almost sounded like children. But what children would be out and about on a night like this when bandits lurked on the doorstep of the city? The Breelanders could not be that foolish or neglectful. It must be some sort of sentries or a scouting party.

Panicked at the possibility of being discovered, Guthwine kicked a bootful of sand over the fire and motioned to everyone to go quietly up the hill. Within a short time, the bandits had disappeared into the thick forest groves, leaving behind nothing to tell of their coming except a few bones from the carcass of the deer. That, and something else that was very small....

For a few embers still nestled on the ground near where they had eaten, not quite buried in the sand. The coals lay quite close to a pile of dry bracken that was heaped up against a fallen treetrunk. Within a space of a few minutes, the tendrils of red flame leapt outward and began to feed on a trail of scattered leaves and grass.

The outlaws headed in a northeasterly direction, making their way towards the encampment. Their progress was steady but slow. The horses were heavily laden with all the satchels and supplies they had purchased. The brush sometimes crowded onto the path, making their progress even more difficult. They carefully maneuvered around a few isolated farmsteads they encountered in small clearings to the west of Archet and Combe, taking the long way around to avoid any chance of detection.

Over two hours had passed since they'd stopped for a bite to eat, yet they were still far from camp. It would be at least another two hours until their arrival home.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:48 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-10-2004, 12:47 AM   #215
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Chathol-linn's post

Willofain never knew what made her follow Minastan’s wolfhound into the Chetwood. She thought it was a wonderful spy game, just as the Mayor had hinted. When Minastan took the note from Huan Vu’s red neckerchief and replaced it with one of his own, Willofain thought it was part of the fun. A secret!

She watched Huan Vu speed away from Minastan. Willofain followed as best she could, all the way back from the Chetwood to the Hedge. There she heard voices. It was dark but she could see from their silhouettes that they were four Big Folk. Willofain had never seen any of them before. They were each leading a horse. She heard the biggest one say, “Be careful what you do and say. Listen to the conversations around you on the streets; do not be afraid to talk to others. Find out everything you can, but be careful to hide your true identity.”

Willofain wondered, Why are you hiding who you are? She could not make it out what they meant to do. She decided to find Mayor Harald and tell him, and she slipped through the gap in the Hedge.

Now other voices came to her ears. This time the owners of the voices were both Big Folk and Little, and Willofain knew some of them from school.

"What are you doing?” she asked.

Kari explained, “We are helping Edmund save the bunnies from the stewpot. We brought them here and now we must get them some food and water.”

“Oh, I can help!” said Willofain, forgetting all about her message to the mayor. “Water, you say? Well, I can fetch that for them. Where shall I bring it?”

“Do you know the cave near the gap in the hedge?” said Edmund. “We’ve put them in there.”

“I’ll follow you straight away,” said Willofain. She made off to get her water skins filled.

Pio's post

In the pale grey half light of pre-dawn, the children made their way out to a small meadow to cut the long, tender grass and edible plants for their ‘guests’ in the cave. Little Lily worked with a will, though she was very tired from staying up so late. Her nimble little fingers plucked off handfuls of succulent greens for the coneys which she stowed in Kari’s pack, as did several of the other children. Rollo and Randy had big pockets in their tunics and they put them to good use. Kali and Edmund crouched down by the small stream, gathering the crisp watercress that grew there. Nearby, Fippi snapped off the tender shoots of the new conifer trees, figuring that if the deer liked them, as his dad had told him, then surely the bunnies would.

‘We should get back,’ said Kari to Willofain, as she dumped some small edible roots she and the other girl had dug up from the clearing. ‘My Da will be getting up soon to see the mill. He’ll have my hide if he finds I’ve been out all night! And outside the hedge!’ Willofain nodded. She was staying at the Inn, under the watchful eye of Miz Andreth. She knew Edmund and she would be hard put to sneak past the serving girls or cook, one or more of whom was sure to be up already.

Fippi hoped his dad was not worrying about him and that he would still cover for him from his mother. Kali was envious when Fippi spoke to him. ‘My goose is cooked,’ Kali told the other boy. ‘Cooked and quartered and served up on a platter . . .’ He sighed, as he said the old familiar phrase his mami had taught him. ‘Why’s that?’ asked Fippi. ‘My sister and brother will notice that I’ve gone. They both get up really early. They’ll wake up mami and tell her, and then she’ll send Berilac out to find me. I’ll be one sorry little Hobbit.’ He stood up and squared his shoulders back and thrust out his chin a determined manner. It had been worth it! he thought to himself. He’d helped his friend Edmund save the coneys.

Kari whistled low and catching the attention of the others motioned for them to gather round her. ‘Let’s go,’ she said leading them back toward the hill, ‘We’ve got enough to last them a couple of days – we can check on them again day after tomorrow.’ Willofain signaled for them to go on; she had brought several waterskins and was just going to fill them at the creek. It wouldn’t take long – she would catch up. Kari led the others toward the cave.

They had just come out from under the shadows of the trees, when Fippi, catching a whiff of something odd, scanned in the direction the smell came from.

Smoke it was! And there coming down from the side of the hill was a small line of crackling flame. ‘The coneys!’ he yelled, pointing frantically at the flames drawing near the entrance to the cave. ‘We’ve got to save them . . .’

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:58 AM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #216
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Novnarwen's post - Fippi

Fippi was pleased by the night’s accomplishments, but was even more pleased to hear the suggestion, of them all going back soon to look after the rabbits. Fippi grinned, as he bent down and picked up what looked like an eatable plant. He turned his eyes over at the others, who had gathered leaves and grass for the small ones. They would be heading back to the cave first, before returning home, to give the rabbits the juiciest leaves and grass found in Bree.

Fippi looked up, to see that dawn was drawing near. He knew that he was way too late for the agreement he and his father had reached the previous evening. Off you go! And I'll cover for you for about 1-2 hours. These were the exact word of his father. Fippi shrugged, knowing that he had been out for a lot more than 1-2 hours. By this, he grew a bit ashamed, but he shook the feeling off as he saw the other children making ready to go to the cave again. I'll soon be home, Fippi thought, assuring himself that this was how it was going to be.

He bent down one last time to find some juicy grass by a big tree trunk. As he and the other children, following him, stepped out of the shadows, Fippi felt a weird smell stream into his nostrils. Fippi opened his hand, where he had gathered grass and leaves. He stuck his nose down in it, but it wasn't the same smell which he smelt now. The smell of grass was delicious and reminded him of a hot summer day when he climbed trees. This smell, however, reminded him of ... of.. when Hedgar lit a fire!

The Hobbit boy opened his eyes wide open, looking tensely around. The other children, who noticed Fippi stopping up, came up beside him and asked curiously if there was something wrong. Fippi waved the twins off, still trying to look after something which could imply that his nostrils hadn't been completely wrong, when thinking it smelled like fire.

"The coneys!" Fippi suddenly burst out. By the cave, which wasn't far away, grey smoke could be seen and the flames made it almost impossible to be mistaken. "Fire!" he yelled, now pointing desperately at the flames. ‘We’ve got to save them!!!"

Without hesitating and in mere desperation, Edmund and Kari ran with great pace over to have a better look. Randy and Rollo followed closely behind; meanwhile the Hobbit children were the last ones to run closer, (their short legs seemed to be the main reason, not their courage). The thick grey smoke had spread around in the area in no time, and it looked like dirty snow. Somewhere in between, you could see the colour of red, mixing up with the smoke, dust and the faint sunlight. The fire would soon be out of control.

Fippi urged everyone to stay together, being afraid of losing the others in the smoke, which laid itself like a blanket around them. “I can’t see!!” Kari shrieked. Fippi felt the heat of the fire and pearls of sweat dripping down from his forehead. “Into the cave!” Fippi urged. It was all he could think of, at the moment. The others agreed, now not seeing each other clearly. “We’ve got to save the coneys, now,” Fippi continued. Fippi felt the smoke running down in his throat, causing difficulties to speak and breathe. He fought desperately against it, taking his hand to his throat, trying to breathe. He hulked as he heard Randy.

“But what about the fire,” she asked, coughing. “The cave is our only chance!” Fippi tried to shout this out loudly for everyone to hear, but he didn't know if his voice had reached everyone's ears. Fippi though, hadn’t finished before he could hear most of the children running towards and into the cave.

The darkness in the cave was unpleasant, but the smoke, luckily, hadn’t overwhelmed them, yet. Fippi looked around, hoping to see someone by his side. For a moment, he stood still, calling for the others. Why did I have to lose the others now? he thought, helping himself to calm down. Here he was, alone in the dark, in a cave with fire and smoke blocking the entrence. Was it over?

Fippi advanced over the cave floor, holding his hands out, waving desperately with them in hope to dash into somone. "Ouch!" Pearl, let out. Pearl and Hamson stood just as helpless as Fippi in the dark. But now,at least, the three of them had found each other. None of them unfortunately could seem to spot the any of the others anywhere, though.

"Fippi, is that you?" It was Kali approaching, who to the Hobbits looked like a giant in the dark. "Come!" Kali urged.

Soon they entered a chamber far into the cave. It was even darker in here, but less smoke. Fippi could glimpse the Big Folk children, who had made it to the cave before the Hobbit children. "The coneys are safe," Rollo assured Fippi. "For now," Kali said, looking at the coneys. Fippi nodded. The Hobbits and the Big Folk children lay down on the floor; it was common knowledge that smoke went upwards and that the oxygen would be nearest to the ground. They huddled together, coughing now and then as the smoke swirled around in the chamber. Fippi felt the half wet ground under his body. He looked around, getting small gilmpses of each and every . . .

W-where i-is Li-ly a-and Will-ofain? Fippi stammered. Where a-are th-they? he asked. He felt his hands getting sweaty.

Had the smoke overwhelmed Lily and Willofain? Hadn't the two of them made it to the cave?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:02 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #217
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Kali and Edmund:

As the clouds of smoke thickened, Kali and Edmund each grabbed one of the conies and lay sprawled out on the ground next to each other, with the rabbits tucked close to their shaking bodies.

"I'm scared," Edmund blurted out in between fits of coughing.

"Me, too!" moaned Kali, as he rubbed his watery, stinging eyes.

"Maybe we shouldn't have come? All we wanted to do was help, but now we're in a real mess," Edmund countered to his friend.

"I dunno' but I wish I was home in bed." He looked down at the soft fur bundle now cradled in his arms, and delicately fingered the long ears. "I'm really sorry, Mister Rabbit. We'll try to get you out of here as best we can."

Kali did not say out loud the fear that was uppermost in both their minds: what if no one came to help, and the fire raged on uncontrolled?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:12 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-11-2004, 02:07 AM   #218
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Chathol-linn's post

Her waterskins were filled to brimming. And she was just on to her way to meet the children at the cave when she spied the smoldering embers left by the four Big Folk. The nearby leaves had caught fire and were burning.

“There are leaves everywhere!” exclaimed Willofain. Sure enough, the fire had begun to spread, and it raced downhill toward the cave where the children had hidden the conies. She ran toward the flames, trying to outpace them and give warning when suddenly she caromed into the legs of a Big boy and went flying backwards.

The Big boy came over and offered her a hand up. “I’m Will Farroweed,” he said. “You’re Willofain. You know the mayor, don’t you? Then I have a job for you.”
Old 01-11-2004, 02:08 AM   #219
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio's post

Without benefit of a lantern, Will had found it difficult to find where the children had gone. He had tried to keep a fair distance away from the group to avoid them hearing him. Kari had been suspicious earlier on when leaves crunched beneath his foot, and he knew that if they found him following him they would be angry and drive him off. He deserved it, he supposed, he’d been pretty bad . . . ‘before’.

‘Before’ was the time before the bandits had raided his family’s farm, and the farms of others, driving them into the confines of the city; the time before he’s been banned from the school and put to work with the others, Hobbit and Man alike, to reinforce the dike and hedge; the time before he’d been expected to grow up and act like a man. Time with the shovel, moving slowly along the outer perimeter of the hedge, had given him plenty of time to think about where he was and where he was going. And plenty of time to understand that the choices were his alone to make, for good or bad. ‘There’s no wriggle room,’ the Hobbit Ranger had told him once, when he’d come to check on Will’s progress. ‘No room for blaming someone else for your problems. We all make mistakes; we accept the blame; make amends, and move on. Next time we’ll do better.’

This train of thoughts ran through his mind as he cast about for where the children had gone. And some time later he saw them, now out in a meadow gathering grass and plants for the bunnies in the cages he had seen them with. ‘The children shouldn’t be out here,’ he thought to himself. ‘It’s dangerous so far from the town.’ He squinted in the darkness. ‘And where are the coneys?’ he wondered.

They were leaving; Kari had gathered them round her. The group moved toward the edge of the clearing, then one of the Hobbit boys paused and sniffed the air. A cry of alarm went up as the group ran . . . ‘for the cave,’ he heard them call out . . . ‘save the coneys!’ . . .

‘I can help,’ he thought as he ran after them. The smoke grew thicker the closer he got to the north western section of Bree Hill. He could see the flames licking across the dried leaves in front of the face of the hill, moving in a line toward the hedge and east toward a copse of trees. ‘The cave must be under the hill,’ he said, picking up speed. His line of vision was becoming obscured, and he could hear the crackle of the flames to his left as he neared the hill face and turned north, seeking the cave the children had gone into.

The wailing of someone in pain slowed him to a halt. ‘Who’s there?’ he called out to whoever was making the small, frightened sound . ‘It’s me . . . Lily,’ came a small, wavering voice. ‘Keep talking, Lily. I’ll find you.’

Bruised and disheveled from her fall, Lily sat coughing in the smoky air, rubbing her ankle. ‘I fell,’ she said. ‘They didn’t see me.’ She moaned as she turned her tear streaked, grimy face up to him as he crouched beside her. A series of sniffs and hiccups sandwiched between new tears followed as she told him she couldn’t walk – her ankle was hurt.

The crisp popping sounds of dried, downed limbs burning, the whoosh of trees as the flames flew up their branches sounded nearer. No time to get to the cave with Lily – the path was cut off by the sinuous wall of flame. Scooping Lily up, he put her astraddle his back, her arms locked about his neck, the bend of her knees held up firmly by his arms.

Her weight, though light, slowed him down as did the smoke. He had gone only a short way when he ran into another figure . . . or rather another figure ran into him, and fell down with a thud. It was one of the Big Folk girls – Willofain, he recalled. He gave her a hand up and told her to run as fast as her legs would carry her to the town . . . alert the mayor . . . get help. ‘We’re cut off from the cave. I think they’ll be alright in there if they stay at the back.’ He turned Willofain in the direction of Bree and gave her a nudge. ‘Hurry on! I’ll be there soon with Lily.’

Willofain’s figure was lost in the smoke in a few brief moments, and he followed as quickly as he could . . .

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:50 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-11-2004, 02:10 AM   #220
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Novnarwen's post

Hedgar

Hedgar woke at the break of dawn, by the rays of the sun; streaming trough the curtains, making it immensely light. The Hobbit rolled over and down on the floor, now being fully awake. He grabbed his dressing gown and went silently out of the room, shutting the door carefully; Rosie was still asleep. Hedgar made his way to Fippi's room. He stood still for a moment, waiting, listening if there were any signs of life inside. After a few minutes passing, the Hobbit man made his move. With a gracious movement he opened the door and slid in.

At first, Hedgar grinned, seeing Fippi laying in his bed, or that was what he thought he had seen. Soon enough Hedgar understood that he had been very much mistaken; it was only a doll of some kind. The Hobbit grabbed the doll by the hair, stared into its' eyes, before throwing it across the room hearing a little *boom* as it hit the wall. He heard a vague sound coming from Rosie's bedroom; she would soon wake up, Hedgar knew that. He felt his hand getting sweaty as he reluctantly picked the doll up from the floor and threw it back on the bed. This time, with no real force. Hedgar left the room moments later before getting another 'doll-attack.'

What am I supposed to do? Hedgar thought angrily being disappointed that his so called 'plan' hadn't worked. Now, not only, would Fippi be in big trouble when Rosie figured all of this out (she would, eventually, and her Hobbit Sense would help her getting to the truth); He, Hedgar would be in even bigger trouble! The Hobbit slammed his head desperately against the wall regretting it the very moment he realised he had done it; what if Rose had heard? Besides, it was terribly painful!

"Ehm... ehm..Don't mind me dear... It's nothing.. dear.. nothing at all.. everything is under... under control," he stammered to his own rescue, taking one hand to his forehead (where the pain was worst), rubbing gently. The other hand found its way to his mouth. The terrible headache was intolerable, and the Hobbit had to take his hand into his mouth and bite his jaws together, to prevent screaming.

Light-footed, Hedgar ran towards the front door. "I think I see Fippi by the mills," he pressed forwards, still having half of his hand in his mouth. "I'll go and look for him and bring him back for breakfast in a little while," he managed to say before springing out the door, slamming it shut behind him. He ran out, not caring if Rosie had heard it; she was still in bed, and would probably stay there for a while more.

"Neat!" Hedgar muttered to himself. "Here I am; in pyjamas, no breakfast, no shaving and only one silver coin!" He reached after the coin in his dressing gown, which he still wore. "Well, well," he said grinning, meanwhile looking at the coin, now feeling a bit pleased about himself.

Hedgar ran quickly away from the doorstep and the hobbit hole. One would never know if Rosie stood 'lurking' in the window, being suspicious about Hedgar's behaviour.

He trudged slowly away, calling for Fippi now and then. Soon, but naturally with that stomach, he became tired and the sweat started running down from his back. He realised that he had turned in a totally different direction than intended, and now he had ended up near the Prancing Pony. He smirked as he saw his opportunity. Ale, this time a day must be a record, he thought, getting rather cheerful by this thought. He forgot what he was really out for, and headed towards the Inn in a great pace, or rather the greatest pace a Hobbit like Hedgar could make.

There was a faint light in the Inn. Only a few people sat at the benches, most being slightly drunk or half asleep. None however, came to Hedgar's attention. He made his way to the desk, where he laid the silver coin and ordered a pint. The woman standing behind seemed to be very surprised by this customer; drinking this time a day. Hedgar felt the smell of fresh ale. It was delicious and he seemed to be forgetting his real task; to find Fippi. Hedgar settled at one of the benches, alone. He sipped his ale, now and then trying to remember why he was even here. He shrugged as he drank hit ale in big gulps.

"Hedgar?"

It was a woman, who appeared in front of him. At first he ignored her, but figured soon that this was Miz Andreth; Fippi's teacher. He smiled, drying the areas around his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Miz.. Andreth!" he said, happy to finally talk to someone. "I am really sorry about my behaviour, the pea-episode, I mean," he said snorting.

The woman told him not to worry and that she would be sceptic too, if her boy had been treated so badly at school. Hedgar smiled again, approving.

"So, what makes you drop by this time a day?" she asked gently, looking at the Hobbit.

Hedgar, who had completely forgot what he was really up too, shrugged and bit his lip. He took another draught of his ale, while thinking as hard as possible. "That reminds me..." he started, still being unsure. He slid his finger up and down the flagon, frowning. "Ah!!" he suddenly burst out. Miz Andreth looked questioningly at him, her eyes wide open. "Fippi... he's gone missing.. And, I am .. well.." he said. "I wwas looking for him," he finished.

"Missing? How?"

"Last night. Fippi confessed he was going out with some.. some.." Hedgar said trying to avoid the Innkeeper's look. "Friends from school! And I told him to come home soon, but he hasn't been home yet!"

"Friends from school? Edmund??" With this Andreth walked quickly away from the table, where Hedgar was sitting. Hedgar, who got quite confused by this, chose to follow after, bringing his pint along, though.

Child's post: Andreth

Andreth had a terrible feeling in the pit of her stomach as she hurried down the hall in the direction of Edmund's room. In recent days she had been so relieved to see that her son had been getting along with the other children at school, both the Big and Little ones. And she wouldn't have changed that for the world.

Yet when Hedgar spoke about Fippi going somewhere with friends, she had the uncomfortable feeling that somehow her son had be involved in this mischief. Quickly pushing open the door, Andreth ran over to Edmund's bed. All she found was a pile of crumpled bedclothes, with a pillow stuffed under the covers to try and look as if someone was actually sleeping there. In the corner of the room was her son's nightshirt. It looked as if Edmund had hastily tossed the nightshirt on the floor as he hurried to change his clothes. And when she checked in the wardrobe, she found that there were breeches and a shirt missing, along with her son's second best pair of shoes.

Fighting back a rising sense of panic, Andreth sat down on the chair, placed her head in her hands, and thought for a moment. Suddenly, out of nowhere, an image of Cook wielding a cleaver popped into her head. She leapt up, grabbed Hedgar by the arm, and propelled him firmly into the corridor, heading towards the door that was off the side of the Inn right next to the animal sheds and pens.

She explained quickly as she sprinted down the steps, "I have an idea, but I hope I'm wrong." Running into the enclosure, Andreth approached the hutch where the family of rabbits was housed. But there were no rabbits to be seen inside. The door was open and everything was gone: the three fat bunnies, their water dishes, and even a small bag of carrots from the shed that she'd put there the night before.

She turned around and shook her head, "Hedgar, I have no idea where our children are, but I'm sure it has something to do with these missing conies.....

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:08 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-11-2004, 02:11 AM   #221
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Chathol-linn's post

The night was darkest just before dawn. The fire at the Hedge was behind her, and its smoke still pained her eyes and made it hard to see. Few lights showed in the houses of Bree.

Harald, please be at home, Willofain thought as she ran through the dark streets.

She passed the house of Dantha, the mayor’s sweetheart, and continued up the graveled street to the stone house that was the mayor’s. To her joy a light shone through the upstairs window that overlooked the street and the town.

“Mayor Harald!” she cried in her little girl voice.

The window opened outward. “Who calls?”

“It is Willofain! O Mayor, there is a fire down town. Please let me in!”

Let her in! Harald was downstairs in an instant and nearly carried the girl upstairs to the kitchen. “Give me you news!”

And she did. “The fire is headed for the Hedge! And the girls and boys from school are in the cave with the conies,” she finished.

“What next,” he groaned. “Stay here!” Harald stormed outside and ran down the hill, shouting for Telien all the while.

Willofain was never one to follow orders, but she stayed long enough to search the kitchen for some food. She found a slice of cheese, the end of a loaf of bread, and some cool cider. She wolfed these down like Huan Vu, and then took after the mayor, catching up to him at the sign of the Prancing Pony.

“Fire!” he was roaring into the night.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:18 AM   #222
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio – Will and Berilac

His legs were leaden as he approached the North Gate. Poor Lily had tried to stifle her moans, the pain in her ankle shooting up her leg each time he tripped a little or came down hard in his step on the rutted path. He had no strength left to make it to the hole in the hedge, further north. Will leaned against the locked door and kicked it hard with his boot. ‘Open up!’ he yelled.

‘Now, now,’ came a sleepy sounding voice through the spy-hole. ‘Who is it? And what business do you have in Bree, lad?’

‘Open up,’ roared Will again, barely swallowing the ‘old fool’ that nearly followed the command. ‘There’s a fire! It’s heading toward Bree. And some of the children are trapped in a cave up along the hill.’

With a gasp, the fellow doing guard duty threw open the door. The smell of smoke clung to the boy as he pushed his way past the man. ‘Ring the bell; sound the alarm,’ Will said, turning back once, his eyes wide in his smoke-grimed face.

The sound of the North Gate’s large brass bell ringing out its call over the sleepy town followed Will’s footsteps as he ran toward the Inn. The cry of ‘Fire! Fire at the North Gate!’ rang out in the clear dawn air. Lights appeared at windows, people wrapped in shawls and just roused from their warm beds came out into the streets as the bells and cries from the other gatekeepers picked up the urgent call.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Berilac was up already. His usual morning routine was to walk the hedge from east to west. Repairs had all been done, leaving only those holes in the North end where the Mayor was hoping to spring a trap on the ruffians.

His heart raced as the first peals from the North Gate’s bell rang out. ‘Are they here so soon?!’ he thought grimly, sprinting toward the sound. Not the bandits, he heard. Worse, it was a fire! Not in the confines of the hedge, he noted, scanning the northwest side of Bree. But now, with the sun rising, he could see the rising curtain of smoke, turning the early light red.

He turned up a street, toward the Town Hall. The general alarm bell was now sending out it’s big booming notes from the tower. He could see others, their clothes thrown on hastily, also heading there to see what would be organized. At a cross-street he ran into someone in his haste, almost knocking the person over. ‘What’s this?’ he asked, reaching out his hand to steady Will. Lilly raised her tired, frightened face from Will’s shoulder and looked at the Ranger.

‘Fire,’ gasped out Will, shifting Lily’s weight on his back. ‘Some of the children sneaked out last night. They were taking the Inn’s conies to the northern caves in the hillside. I was following them. But the fire started and I couldn’t get to them. It blocks their way out of the cave.’ He stopped an took a ragged breath. ‘Willofain was there – she’s gone to the Mayor. I’ve brought Lily back; she’s hurt her leg.’

‘The other children,’ said Berilac, in a tight, quiet voice, ‘who were they?’

‘I couldn’t make them all out. Kari was there, and Rollo and Randy. Edmund too , I think.’ Lily’s thin voice filled in, ‘Hamson and Pearl went with us. And Fippi. And Kali, too.’

‘Take Lily to the Inn, Will. Have Andreth fix her up. Her folk will probably gather there.’ He took in Will with a look of concern. ‘And you too. Rest a bit, and see to any hurts you’ve got. Let your folks know you’re alright, then you and your brothers and Da need to come to the Town Hall. We’ll need all the hands we can muster.’ Will nodded to Berilac and made to turn up the path to the Inn. The Ranger stopped him with a hand on his arm. ‘You’ve done well, lad. Now hurry on!’

For a brief moment, Berilac watched the boy run doggedly toward the Inn; then ran quickly toward the Town Hall himself. ‘By the One!’ he muttered to himself as his feet sped over the packed earth. Kali and the others were trapped in the cave. His thoughts ran as fast as his feet, thinking how they could be gotten out safely.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Mayor was there as Berilac knew he would be. A growing crowd of Big and Little Folk gathered round him. The Ranger waited as Harald organised the men into fire-fighting teams. At a break in the action, he approached him with his ideas on how the children might be gotten out safely . . .

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:28 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #223
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Orofaniel's post- Rosie

“Hedgar?” Rosie said as she got up from her bed. She could see that her husband had already gotten up. This was odd, she admitted to herself. She was the first one up usually, but after Hedgar’s behaviour yesterday, everything could be possible, right? She dressed quickly, and hurried over to the kitchen. She was expecting that Hedgar would sit there, whether drinking his tea, or eating his breakfast…Who know, maybe both things at the same time, but no, not this morning. Rosie glimpsed the empty table, and shrugged. What was Hedgar up to now? She thought suspiciously. Maybe he’d gone out to the mills earlier, but Rosie doubted that. She gave a short sigh and went into Fippi’s room.

To her amazement she couldn’t find Fippi either. But the thing that shook her mostly was that his bed showed no sign of someone ever sleeping in it that night. Rosie gasped. Where were they?!? Rosie straightened up; maybe Fippi was playing a silly trick on her. She smiled to herself and bowed to se under his bed. But no, there was no Fippi there either. This particularly made her a bit anxious and nervous about the whole situation. She couldn’t find her son, nor husband! Something was going on! The feeling of that something terrible had happened to them crept over her like an

She wondered if she would go out to the fields, over to the mills and se if they were there. But as she looked through the windows, she could see that there was no movement what so ever. She was becoming poor on good ideas….what could she do, but wait? But, Rosie has never really been a person who waits, she always has to act. If not, she’ll go mad.

Without really thinking, she took her coat, and went out. She closed the door as she felt the win blow in her face. “I’ll run down to the Town Hall…” She said to herself and ran. Her hobbit feet carried her as fast as they could, but after a little while she could feel that she was almost out of breath. She stopped running, and walked quickly instead. As she walked she could feel the slight of wariness taking over her. She couldn’t help thinking that something had happened to the two persons she loved the most. It was unbearable.

When she reached the Town Hall she saw Berilac. She hurried over to him, to see if he knew anything of Hedgar and Fippi. “Hello, Berilac.” Rosie said politely as he turned is head towards her.

He didn’t even get to greet her before Rosie’s mouth was flooding words that were jumbled sentences.

“I c-can’t…Have you…seen Hedgar? And Fippi? Couldn’t…find them…this morning, I couldn’t find them.” Rosie blurted out. “Have you seen them?” She asked again, this time trying to specify what she was wondering about.

"Rosie..." He started, while he sighed. "I've ill news." he continued. Rosie looked at him with great eyes. "Ill news?" she repeated, while her eyes turned blank. What had happened to her sweet boy? And Hedgar? “Tell me!” Rosie demanded as she saw that Berilac was looking gravely at her. “Well, Fippi…your son is trapped in one of the caves with some of the other children from school.” He said and looked at her anxiously. “What?!?” Rosie exclaimed horrified over the news. “He is trapped in….a-a cave?!?” She repeated. The poor woman had difficulties to understand what had happened so Berliac had to support her, by taking her hand. “It’ll be…alright.” He said, but it didn’t seem too convincing.

“So, what do we do?!” Rosie said while tears were streaming down her face…”A-and what about....Hedgar?” She continued. She was looking even more anxious now.

"No, I haven't heard nor seen Hedgar, I'm afraid." Berilac said, looking surprised over the question that Hedgar was gone "missing" as well. "Have you checked at the...Inn?" He asked looking at her, now seeming as anxious as Rosie.

"No..." Rosie stammered. "But I have to get my boy first," She said again. She breathed heavily and tears were still popping out from her red eyes.

"Yes, of course." He said in a comforting voice. "Lets go and talk to the others.....” he suggested as he led the way.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:37 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #224
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth:

As the great brass bell sounded its alarm over the town, Andreth lookd knowingly at Hedgar, a gaze of apprehension passing silently between them. Yet they said nothing, afraid to put their fear in words. In a matter of seconds, their reflections were interrupted by a series of frantic knocks on the front door of the Pony. The Innkeeper hurried down the corridor with Hedgar at her side, and quickly undid the latch, pushing the door wide open. She was shocked and amazed to be staring at Will Farroweed, who held a crying hobbit child in his arms. All thoughts of their prior disagreement vanished as she gently took Lily from the lad's embrace and carried her into the Common Room.

By now, all the guests and staff of the Inn were awake and had come down to find out what was happening. Andreth listened to Will's story about how he'd found the children rescuing the rabbits and afterwards watched helpless as the fire swept down the hill, trapping the little ones in the cave. Andreth gave one sob of desperation clinging to Hedgar's arm, but then stood upright and forced herself to think clearly. The townspeople could do nothing to help my husband. He was all alone when the bandits attacked him, but perhaps we can find a way to help these children. Cool heads would be needed if there was any hope of rescue.

Barking orders at Cook to gather needed supplies, she asked the maids to bring down a mattress and bedding to make the hobbit more comfortable. Gently removing Lily's shoe, Andreth looked hard at her leg. A sprain or a break? It was hard to say. Andreth could deal with simple injuries, but she was no expert in healing or herbs.

Uncertain what she should do to help Lily, the Innkeeper glanced up and, to her surprise, saw the calm and familiar face of Lilac staring back at her. The old woman walked over and awkwardly got to her knees, her fingers gently probing the hobbit girl's injured limb. All the while she talked gently to the lass, explaining that her family would be here soon.

"You came? I thought you did not agree with what's happening."

Lilac smiled sadly, "That I don't, but neighbors are neighbors, and the children are in need."

Lilac nodded to Andreth, "Go on now. Get out of here. Go down with the other parents who are meeting with Berilac. I'll take care of Lily and set up some makeshift beds in case more than one child needs help. And I'll make sure the guests in the Inn are attended to as well."

Andreth hesitated for a moment. "But the Inn...."

"Forget the Inn. Go find your son. You have good staff here, and I'll help direct them, just as I did when you were younger."

Andreth leaned over and gently touched Lilac's grey curls, "Thank you so very much. How can I ever repay you?"

Lilac looked up and smiled, "When you return with your son safe, we'll discuss that. But, for now, go... You have a job to do."

As she and Hedgar walked over to the door, leaving the Inn to meet with Berilac, a loud cheer went up from the assembled guests and staff, with encouraging shouts of "Good luck" and "We'll git 'em" and "We're in this together now".

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:36 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #225
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Chathol-linn -- Harald

Harald’s first breathless stop was the Town Hall. It was a fortunate location - most of the way down town and not too far from the Pony. The Captain of Guards was already there, as were many of the townsfolk, Big and Little, resident and guest, who had been roused from their beds by the alarm. Harald could see Berilac the Hobbit Ranger running full speed up the street.

Behind the Town Hall, Bree kept a shed and in it they had fire fighting tools, for fires were a deadly menace whether in heat of summer, drought of fall, or cold of winter when every fireplace was roaring. The Breelanders all knew this and had taken precautions.

“We are lucky that many of our roofs are made of slate, and our houses of stone,” said Telien.

“True,” said Harald. “But there is much that could burn. The Pony is close to the Hedge and is made of a lot of timber.”

“You might have to pull it down if the fire makes it to the Hedge,” said one of the town council members.

“I will if I have to,” said Harald, thinking of a time a hundred years ago when, his Mum had told him, a Mayor had refused to do just that, and Bree had burnt to the ground. They still called that one ‘the fool mayor.’ “But let us make sure we do not have to.”

Harald jumped to the top of the steps that led to the Hall. “Breelanders All! I call on you to fight this new threat of fire. I need three heads of household from the lower town, now! And someone from the Prancing Pony. Ban, it is you.”

A goodwife and huge Uther of the Big Folk stepped forward, together with Elmerith, Telien’s second in command. Ban from the Pony came too, looking as if he were dreaming or wished he were. The smell of smoke came on the morning breeze, and the crackle of fire sounded like a battle. The sun rose red in the sky.

“After all our work to repair it, that Hedge is not coming down,” Harald told them. To the four he had called forth he said, “Each of you – get ten of your folk and make a bucket brigade line from each of the downtown cisterns to the Hedge. Portion out the Hedge and wet it down. Don’t stop. Thank all the powers that be for the heavy rain we had a while back. The wells and cisterns are full.”

Dantha arrived, panting. “What can I do, Harald?”

“Go in the shed, get the buckets, and pile them in four piles in front of the cisterns.” Dantha ran to the shed and found the buckets. There were other, more ominous tools there: axes, ladders, hooks, chains. But she kept up her courage and grabbed buckets by the handles, and brought them out to the cisterns.

“We need more hands, Harald!” she shouted over the roar of crowd and flame. “If the fire crosses the Hedge, we will be open to any bandit on the East Road or the Greenway!”

“Worse,” said Telien. “If it hits the smith shop next to the Pony, the charcoal will burn hot enough to melt all the iron in Bree.”

“I will get the lads and lasses,” said Dantha, and she dashed away. Soon she returned with at least two dozen youths and maids, and then the bucket brigades went faster.

Harald was thinking of taking a calm breath when he saw Berilac pushing toward the Town Hall steps.

“The children in the cave!” he was shouting. “What about the children!”

“Oh, no,” said Harald. “I forgot Willofain’s message. Telien! Open the North Gates. Get them wetted down. See to Berilac – he knows where they are!”

Then Harald abandoned forever any reservations he might have had about the Little Folk. He turned to the Hobbit Ranger.

“Berilac, Bree is already in your debt for your help on the Hedge. While you’re looking out for the youngsters, might the other Hobbits try their hand at fire-fighting? I've seen Hobbits stamp out a fire with bare feet.”

A burning branch separated from its burning tree and landed wind-borne on the street in front of them. There it lay as a symbol of all the rancor and trouble that had separated the two folk, and it was Harald who held his breath and waited.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:48 AM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #226
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Little Folk step forward . . .

The crackle of the burning limb grew loud in the ensuing silence. Some of the Hobbits who had heard the Mayor speak shuffled nervously, casting their eyes at their fellows, waiting for someone to make the move.

A deep voice boomed out to the left of the Mayor. A Hobbit standing very near Harald as he spoke to Berilac had heard the question posed to the Hobbit Ranger. ‘Well, now, I can’t speak for all us Hobbits, Yer Honor, but I can say I’d like to offer my services.’

Elfrid, the iron worker whose hands had forged the metal bracings for the new North Gate stepped forward. He was a massive man, thickset, with the big muscles of one who wields the hammer and tongs and bends metal to his will. ‘My lads and I will lend our labors to those of the other good folk.'

‘Aye,’ chimed another doughty Hobbit, taking his place beside Elfrid. ‘And you’ll see my sons and I at his side.’ It was Sammael the lumberman, whose hands had planed the thick oak for the new northern gate. His three hearty sons followed close behind him, axes in hand. ‘We’ll not want to see our handiwork destroyed by flames,’ said Sammael, leaning on his own great ax. ‘We’ll push the brush back from along the dike along the northern edge, and others can follow along with shovels leaving only a wide path of dirt – few flames will leap the fire break unless they wind pushes sparks across to the hedge. And with you Men keeping the Hedge wetted down, that shouldn’t prove a problem.

‘We’ll come,’ cried Berilac’s brothers-in-law, Griffo and Tomlin, shovels in hand, motioning folk to come gather round them. When they had heard the alarm, they had grabbed shovels and buckets from the nearby shed in the Inn, just as they would have done should fire threaten their holding or their neighbors’ in Staddle.

‘Yes! And we’ll join the bucket brigade cried their wives, Britnie and Goldie. Soon, most of the Little Folk of Bree proper and the outlying districts had stepped forth to volunteer. The bucket brigade had swelled from four lines to seven with the addition of the Hobbits, with the Little Folk manning the first parts of the lines, letting the taller folk swing their buckets high to wet the top of the Hedge. Several new lines were formed, too, to wet down the nearby roofs.

Rosco Woodfarer, Berilac's brother, stepped forward, his own shovel in hand, last of all. The branch still burnt, though the flames were dieing down a bit. At its heart were beginning to glow the wavering orange embers that would prove dangerous were the wind to pick them up and blow them to the thatched and wooden shingled roofs of Bree. Rosco motioned for one of the lasses to dump a bucket of water on the branch, then he covered it with a few shovelfuls of dirt to quench its heat.

‘We’re with you, Mayor. It’s our home, too,’ he said, methodically piling the dirt on the branch. ‘And just so you know, we’ll be using the same tools as you bigger folk . . . not our feet . . .’

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:52 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #227
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

A covey of frightened parents crowded in around Berilac. He had gone round the crowd as the Hobbits and mayor spoke, contacting each of the parents whose child was now trapped in the cave. Andreth was there, her face grim as she waited for the Ranger to speak. Hedgar and Rosie stood close together, their knuckles white as they clenched the other’s hand. Bettina Butterbur stood near Andreth, gone pale with the worry over her two sons. Mausi was there also, eyes dry, but red rimmed. Mondy and Ella clinging tight to her. To the side stood Everard and Delphina, thin lipped, their faces etched with worry over Pearl and Hamson. Poppy stood with them, holding the drowsing Lily in her arms. And pacing, like a large angry bear, was Alvinac.

Berilac spoke in a low clear voice to the worried parents, explaining what the children had done that night, and where they were now. ‘I have an idea of where the cave is,’ he told them. ‘I’ve seen it when I scouted the area, but I know nothing about it.’ He looked round the small, tense group. ‘Who can tell me more about it?’

The Hobbits all shook their heads. They were relative newcomers to Bree and none had ventured far beyond their own little houses and gardens. None of the Big Folk could add much either. It was Mausi, her head bent low, speaking with her children, who offered a small spark of hope to the dejected group. ‘Go on,’ she gently urged Mondy, leading him by the hand to where Berilac stood. ‘Tell him what you know.’

Berilac crouched down to be eye to eye with the boy, and spoke softly to him. Mondy’s lower lip trembled, and tears threatened at the corners of his eyes. ‘I should have known,’ the boy said in a ragged voice. ‘I . . .’

‘No use going down that road.’ Berilac reached up and wiped away Mondy’s tears. ‘You can help him now. Just tell me about the cave.’

Mondy had been to the cave with his brother. The entrance was low at first but the chamber was wide and the height of the roof increased the farther back one went. There were also two little side chambers not far from the entrance on the left as one entered. Neither of them led back to the outside, but the furthest one had a crack in it, and fresh air flowed into the cave from it. Several tall, large, leafy evergreen bushes grew in front of the cave, obscuring the entrance from anyone passing by. ‘We made a little passage between the bushes and the side of the hill when we first spied it out, so we could get in more easily.’ The boy’s voice grew stronger as Berilac urged him on. No, there were no other ways into the Inn. Yes, Kali would be smart enough to remember the little chamber that had fresh air. No, there was no water in the cave.

A glimmer of hope registered in the Ranger’s expression as Mondy described how the brow of the hill dipped down in the area, and the slight overhang above the entrance to the cave was maybe twice the height of the North Gate. Twenty-five feet, he thought to himself. And better yet, the ground just above the cave had a number of rocky outcroppings. When Mondy had finished, Berilac clapped him on the shoulder, saying he’d been of great help.

He stood up and motioned the group closer. ‘I’ve an idea now how we can get to them,’ he said to the expectant ring of faces. ‘We’ll need four long lengths of rope, two of those big sturdy storage baskets from the granary, four large skins of water, and a large stack of handkerchiefs – or better yet, Andreth – a stack of those big cloth napkins from the Inn.’

The Big and Little Folk were dispatched to fetch the needed items, returning with great speed to the bottom of the path that led up to the top of the Hill from the town. Fear spurred them on as they all hastened up the path and then west along the brim of the hill, pulling along behind them the small cart that carried their equipment. Mondy led the way with Berilac, pointing excitedly as the familiar rocks hove into sight.

The view from this point was frightening and did nothing to bring assurance to the anguished parents. Smoke from the fire hung like a thick blanket over the area, and flames crackled through the limbs of the trees in the area below.

‘Take your places,’ he told the group. ‘Like we discussed on the way up here.’

Andreth pulled out the napkins and began wetting them with water from one of the water skins. She and Mausi handed them round, and all tied them over their mouth and noses. Alvinac, Everard, Bettina,Rosie, and Delphina uncoiled the ropes as he asked. Mondy and Ella dragged one of the baskets to the edge of the hill, while Hedgar brought the other. The Big and Little folk worked together quietly and quickly. When all was assembled to his satisfaction, Berilac gathered them round and went carefully over the final instructions once more . . .

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:39 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-14-2004, 02:37 AM   #228
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

Berilac and Hedgar peered over the edge of the hill brow, down to the entrance of the cave below. The scrubby shrubs that grew in front of the opening left about a three foot space for them to work in. They had not yet caught fire, but around them the grass and leaves smoldered.

‘It’s a tight squeeze,’ said Hedgar eyeing the width of the baskets they’d brought and the distance from hillside to shrub.

The side of the hill was for the most part hard-packed earth with only a few protruding stones. ‘At least it will be easy for us getting the baskets down,’ returned Berilac, standing up and waving the others near. ‘Alvinac, Everard, and you, Hedgar – take hold of a rope each. And you Andreth, with Mausi – you’ll handle the last rope.’ He put them in position, then secured a rope each to the two handles on each side of the large, deep rectangular baskets.

He and Rosie placed a waterskin each in the bottom of the baskets and a small stack of the linen napkins; then carefully lowered the two baskets just barely over the edge, while the others took up the slack on the rope.

‘Hold tight,’ he instructed the rope holders, as he and Rosie climbed into the baskets, and crouched down. ‘Now lower us down slowly. And you Bettina and Delphina get read to fetch the children out as we send them up.’

The ride was a bumpy one as the basket side caromed off the jutting rocks and bounced against the hillside. As soon as they were down Berilac and Rosie climbed out of the baskets and hastened into the cave with the waterskins and the napkins. The children were easily found, calling out a loud, ‘We’re here!’ amidst coughs and sneezes. Berilac wet the napkins and Rosie tied them round the children’s noses and mouths. Two at a time, they sent them up to the hilltop, helping them into the baskets and telling them to lie very still in the bottom until someone helped them out at the top.

All went well until the last two were to go up. Edmund and Kali dug their heels in stubbornly, saying they would not move until the bunnies went up. ‘Hurry, then,’ said Berilac in an urgent voice. ‘The fire is coming near.’ The cages of bunnies were stacked into the baskets and sent up.

When the baskets returned Berilac ordered Rosie and Kali into one and Edmund into the other. A sharp yank on the ropes and up they went. The wind had picked up and the flames now licked at the bushes in front of the cave entrance. Finding fresh fuel, they leapt up, stretching to touch the bottoms of the retreating baskets.

When Rosie and the boys were helped out, Rosie yelled for Alvinac and Hedgar to lower the basket for Berilac. But Andreth, who had run over to embrace her son, peered over the edge as they made to lower their ropes for the last time. ‘It’s all on fire now,' she yelled back to them, seeing the flames rushing in to hug the edge of the hill. ‘The way is blocked . . .’
Old 01-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #229
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Guthwine

It was close to sunrise when Guthwine and his campanions made it back to the camp. Even from half a mile away, they could hear the racket in the forest that heralded the arrival of some eight hundred refugees from the Weather Hills.

The men quickened the pace of their ponies, and pushed their way through the throngs of travellers, coming to the center of the encampment. Those who'd been spying in Bree dropped the lead reins of their horses and ran forward through the crowd searching for friends, kinsmen, and neighbors they had known. The small group of scouts was instantly engulfed by familiar faces, men and women rushing up to them with outstretched arms and exclamations of joy.

Rudgar ran to slay and clean two of the goats, and set them up on a spit over the fire to roast. No use waiting till evening for a hearty meal. It may be morning, but these folks were hungry. For many, it had been weeks and months since they'd last enjoyed a piece of meat. Within a short time, the smell of roasting meat wafted over the campsite. Friends and family broke off in small groups, and set up their bedrolls and belongings at the edge of camp.

Guthwine had been racing about, trying to make preparations for the newcomers. With so many hundreds of folk, it was not always easy to find the particular folk who hailed from your village and family. But his attention was abruptly drawn back by a small hand tugging on his sleeve and the sound of a girlish voice, "Daddy, daddy! It's us. Mama and Ian and I, we're here." Guthwine turned to face his family as they rushed into his arms.

It was the finest day that they'd had since they came to the encampment. Voices were raised in song and platters of meat consumed as the sun made its way up over the encampment. Guthwine ran over to Lotar's tent, a smile beaming on this face, as he raced in with all previous discords forgotten, at least for the moment. He took Lotar by the shoulder and beamed, "If we can but capture the city, it will be like this every day. We will have a place of our own, one where we can find some peace and start a new life. This afternoon, let's start work on our plans for the assault on the city. I've brought more supplies for the refugees and information on the weapons and defenses that will await us there."

Guthwine turned around and grinned broadly at Lotar, "Give me just three days for this pack of travellers to rest and train for the siege. On the morning of the fourth day, or perhaps under the cover of night, we will be ready to attack."
Old 01-16-2004, 11:15 AM   #230
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Arestevana's and Eruantalon's joint post for Kirima and Rudgar:

After walking for such a long time the camp almost seemed welcoming to Rudgar. He almost felt like it was a new home. He had gotten so settled into the half of the camp where the rest of the bandits were. Now he was walking along the edge of the two camps. Seeing how many people had arrived and just looking around.

There were some new faces, and some old ones too. He found a feeling he had not felt since he was a child. He felt sadness well up inside of him. It hit him now more than any time before. Life had changed so much since he started working with these bandits. He was searching for fortune and he thought that would make him happy. Looking around the camp, if he had the money right then and there, he would want nothing more than to help those people around him.

Still all he could do was to try and help them. Yet what kind of help was he really? Bring all the bandits that were as shaggy and dangerous as a long unfed dog. Somehow, someway, Rudgar had changed when he least expected it. The change was small but it grew over time. All his life he'd wandered with out a single friend.

While he walked along, he saw Kirima sitting at the edge of the two camps. He remembered how she had been the only nice one to him the whole time that he was there.

Kirima was sitting by herself and happily watching the camps members talk. She saw Rudgar walking nearby. He came over and sat down next to her. They talked for a while, and Kirima pointed out some of the newcomers that she knew.

"That's Soran's sister Laira and her children," she said. "And over there is Elias, who folk often call Old Elias. He'll most likely be leading when we go to Bree..." She trailed off, happiness fleeing at the dark subject.

“Kirima, You seem so sad. I know how you feel….. It’s drawing near. I can steal a chicken from a farmer. I don’t think I know what to do to steal a whole town from a people. A chicken is just a meal. It’s not a person’s whole life. I don’t know what I’m doing here or what is going to happen. You seem to be going through the same thing?”

Kirima nodded. "Yes, it is hard for me to attack the town. It seems too much like what was done to us," She gestured at the campsite. "But this is what we must do, is it not? If we do not win this town, winter will take us. We will freeze if we do not starve first. I'm sure many of these folk have thought the same as we, that mayhap we should leave the Breefolk alone, but we are still here. Is there any other choice?"

Rudgar knew that what was said was the truth. He looked at all the people around him. He knew that all these people needed help in this dire time. “Yes that’s true, but there has to be a better way. I know there has to be. I just can’t find it right now. By the time a better way would be found. Every one here would die from the winter freeze.”

Seeing the young children run past him he felt his heart break. Now even more, than ever before. Because he knew what it felt like to be so small and alone.

“Maybe we can help find a better way? My mind is sharp and nimble. But it doesn’t work well alone. Maybe we can think up a better way Kirima? If we don’t then at least they have the course there taking now. Either way it’s still good to talk to a friend again” Rudgar smiled when he finally said this.

Kirima nodded sadly. "Yes, there should be another way." she said. "But we cannot talk to the Breefolk. They may be like the evil raiders who came to burn our villagers, or they may be honest people. If they are evil, they will not help us, merely drive us out again. And if they are honest folk, they will trust us little more. They believe that we are bandits, and they are correct. We steal, we raid farmhouses, and we are going to attack their town. Why should they treat with us?" She shook her head and pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind, then smiled at Rudgar. "Yes, it is good to talk to a friend. Come, forget these gloomy thoughts." Kirima gestured around the campsite. "Let me introduce you to some of these fine folk."

“That does sound like a good way to spend the rest of the day. I would like to meet some of these people? Maybe I can make a few more friends here? Let's go Kirima. That sounds like a fine idea.” The two got up now and made there way off to meet the rest of the camp. Talking to lots of new faces and people. Rudgar felt more at home on this side of camp than anywhere before.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:42 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-16-2004, 11:22 AM   #231
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Andreth:

Andreth leaned over the edge and looked down in horror. Everywhere flames were beginning to catch hold and shoot upward, blocking the exit from the cave. Despite her joy at the childrens' arrival and the fact that Edmund had been rescued, she refused to believe the stark reality of what was happening. Although not even a citizen of Bree, Berilac had given and done more for their safety than any other person in the town. She no longer thought of Berilac as simply "a hobbit"; she considered him to be one of the bravest and smartest defenders of the town. To have him perish in this fire was unthinkable, both because she cared what happened to him and it was important that their city be defended by the best.

She barked at the other parents who were reuniting with their children, "Hurry! Berilac is trapped. Run back to the north gate. Bring several cauldrons of water as fast as you can." Andreth desperately reasoned that they did not have to beat back the entire conflagration; they merely had to clear a path directly in front of the cave.

The noise and tumult of the scene had been so heart that no one had noticed what was going on in the background for the past half hour. Thick grey clouds now crowded the skies, while rumbling noises sounded in the background. It was Kali who was the first to catch a raindrop in his outstretched hand, crying out excitedly, "Mama, Andreth, it's starting to rain!"

Mausi looked up in surprise and responded, "Kali, you're right!"

The first stray drops gave way to a heavy sheet of rain that plummetted down like a thick curtain, blowing in from the west against the mouth of the cave. For a moment, it looked as if there was a battle between the burning grass and the ongoing assault of water. Slowly, slowly, the flames slackened and pulled back a little from the entry to the cave.

By this time, the others had arrived with their cauldrons, and she had them dump the water down to slacken the flames still further, all the time crying out to Berilac to get in the basket that was now being lowered to him. But there was no response to her cries. Frantic with fear, Andreth grabbed Will by the arm. "Go down, and bring him up. The smoke has overcome him."

Will maneuvered his body into the basket as the ropes were lowered again. I pray it holds the both of them! Andreth pleaded to the skies. Within a few seconds, Will had gathered Berilac in his arms and rudely jerked him inside, as the basket made its way up one last time.

"He's alright. Just dazed and stunned," Will called out as the basket reached the top and Andreth and the others hauled Berilac out by the breeches. The hobbit came tumbling over on his side, coughing and hacking his way up to consciousness.

Within the space of an hour, everyone had scrambled down from the hillside and made their way through the downpour to the north gate and back into their houses....

The town was quiet that morning, with many of the parents and children returning to their beds. By mid-day, when Andreth was serving lunch at the Inn, Guy the Peddler wandered into the Inn and sat down, sharing a piece of unthinkable news. He'd been cutting down from the far northeast of Breeland early that morning, and seen a huge gathering of hundreds of men and women setting up a large encampment. Many of the travellers were heavily armed, carrying bows and spears and daggers; others rode on swift horses that were covered with thick leather padding generally used to protect beasts in battle.

Guy had been able to mingle with the crowd fairly easily, since it was so large that a stranger did not stand out. He'd heard folk talking about how they would soon have a home in Bree, and that the attack would not be long in coming. Then he had turned, slipped out of the camp, and fled back to the city.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:07 PM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #232
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

The air was still heavy with the promise of more rain that afternoon as Berilac made his way to the Inn. Mausi and Rosco had begged him to stay at Mausi’s house. ‘Rest, Berilac,’ they had told him in a dozen different ways when they had returned home. ‘The fire is out; the town safe. Relax for a while.’

And he did rest . . . for a while. But something niggled at the back of his mind. What if the fire had not started accidentally? What if the outlander Big Folk had set it deliberately? It would be the type of diversion they might use if they wished to draw attention away from there point of attack. Draw all the townsfolk to one end of Bree and slip in armed at the other. Thoughts tumbled, one over the other, as he left the little family sleeping in their bedrooms and crept past his brother who snored on the couch.

The Inn’s business was just starting to pickup when he entered and slid into a booth. The door banged open just after he’d sat down, letting in a gust of wind and wet leaves trail in behind the entrant. It was Mungo! Lily’s stand-in grampa. The old fellow took off his cloak and twitched the raindrops off it carefully in the small entryway, then hung it on a hook along with his felt hat. Berilac hailed him, motioning at the serving girl to bring another half pint of stout for his friend.

They fell to talking of Will and the fortunate end of the fire – a conversation which lasted well into a second mug of the Pony’s fine ale. One of Mungo’s old cronies spotted them and toddled over, already well into Pony’s prizewinning brew. Introductions were made; then, Elfrid motioned the other two to lean close over the table.

‘Guy was here today,’ he whispered in a conspiratorial tone. Berilac looked at Mungo and shrugged his shoulders. ‘Traveling man, peddler,’ the Hobbit said quickly then urged Elfrid to go on. Guy was a frequent source of fresh news from the outside.

Berilac’s level of alarm climbed as Elfrid related what he had overheard. ‘I knew it!’ he thought, as the man continued on. ‘The Bandits are massing their troops. The fire was just a test to see how we would respond. The Mayor and the captain must hear of this. We need to be ready and soon.’ He waited until Elfrid had finished speaking and then excused himself. ‘You two lads have another on me,’ he said, putting a few coins on the table. ‘I’ve got a little business to take care of.’

Mungo nodded and smiled as the Ranger left the table. Elfrid, on the other hand, had already called over the server and exchanged his empty mug for a full and foaming one.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:12 PM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #233
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Tara's post for Lotar and Kandel

Lotar had been staring at Feanwe's hair clip, stirring memories in his mind. The refugee's had come into the camp, and their faces brought him naught but pain. It reminded him of the family he had lost, and his grief could not seem to be any more full.

He heard movement, and heard Guthwine's voice talking behind him.

"Give me just three days for this pack of travellers to rest and train for the siege. On the morning of the fourth day, or perhaps under the cover of night, we will be ready to attack."

Lotar had given up on strategy and war, he simply wanted contentment. For a miraculous moment, his temper did not flare

'Guthwine, you are a man of war. You make your plans. I will follow them if I see fit to do so. I want no more a part. I am tired. And you are blind to your predicament. I think there may be another way, but you will not have it. So have your War.

Lotar sat down, and stared at the sheet of his tent.

~*~

Kandel sifted his way through the camp, and saw Guthwine leave his fathers tent. He stepped in and bowed

'Naught has changed. Bree's defenses are still coming up, and the people are still in slight confusion. What did Guthwine say?'

'He wants his War boy, and I have snapped. I do not know what to do'

Kandel sat by his father and looked at him 'All will be well. Whatever happens, all will sort itself out' Kandel grinned. With that, he stood up and said 'Im out for a quick walk. I want to see if I can find anyone I know' Lotar waved him off quickly

Child's post for Andreth, Edmund, and Lilac:

Taking a needed rest from the hectic pace of the day, Andreth was sitting on a soft chair in the family parlor, with Edmund nestled on her lap. It felt so good to have him home again. She leaned closer, speaking softly, "Promise not to do that. You can't run off without letting someone know, especially outside the gates. Otherwise, I may not be able to find you the next time there's trouble."

Edmund gazed up and met his mother's eyes, solemnly nodding his head. Then he smiled and glanced over at the three conies who were again back in their hutches. Much to Edmund's delight, the hutches had been moved from the outside pen to the corner of the parlor and set down on top of an old nursery rug. This seemed like a a safe and protected spot where not even Cook could threaten them with her cleaver.

After everything Edmund had been through, his mother had found it hard to punish him. Besides, the bad memories of the fire and the sight of his friends coughing and crying would be punishment enough to keep him from making the same mistake again. Her thoughts were interrupted by a gentle wrapping on the door. Andreth looked up to see Lilac walk inside. The older woman extended her arms in greeting and offered a warm hug, expressing her relief that everything had turned out so well, "How happy I am to see you together. All the children safe at home with no more than a few cuts and bruises." For several minutes, the two women exchanged news, discussing all the things that people had done to rescue the children and keep the fire from spreading.

Lilac looked slyly over towards her companion. She had known Andreth even as a girl, and had a good idea how to make her sit up and listen. "That Will Farroweed was amazing!" the older woman pointed out. "Without his warning, all our efforts would have been too late. It's a good thing folks were willing to give him a second chance, especially with all his earlier shenanigans!"

"I guess you're right, Lilac," Andreth agreed. "It took a while to see what a decent person Will could be."

"That's often the case," Lilac observed. "If you give folk a chance, sometime they surprise you." The older woman hesitated for a moment and then continued on, "Take those so-called outlaws. They've had a surprise or two up their sleeve for us, and I suspect they may have more."

"A 'surprise'?" echoed Andreth. "The only surprise I expect from those ruffians is a dagger between my ribs!"

"Are you sure, Andreth? All those attacks on the farmhouses, the looting and stealing, but not a single person hurt or killed.... Hobbits and men sent scampering out at midnight in their nightshirts, without a single weapon... It would have been easy to take aim with their bows and place a few arrows in the backs of the men they'd robbed. Their job would have been easier, and we would have been even more frightened of them."

Andreth looked up and stared at Lilac. She had not thought of things in that way. But the older woman had a point. The raids had been going on for weeks, and no one had been hurt.

"There's something else, too," Lilac observed. You know that Guy wasn't alone? His daughter Fern was with him, and her story sounds just a little different. She says it wasn't all young fighting men. The glade was filled with mothers toting babes, and small children running about and playing. And there were old folk on crutches, along with others who were still recovering from the wounds they'd gotten from the Orcs."

Lilac glared over at Andreth, "That doesn't sound like your typical army to me!"

Andreth gazed suspiciously back at her friend and sighed, "Alright, Lilac, I'll listen. Exactly what do you have in mind?"

One hour later, Andreth and Lilac went to the stables and took out two horses, saddling them up and heading out the north gate in the general direction of Archet.

"You'll keep your promises, Lilac?" Andreth wagged a finger and sounded stern. "I won't go on this foolhardy errand otherwise."

Lilac nodded her head in agreement, "We'll stay out of sight and just have a little look. No harm in looking, is there?"

"I guess not. With all those hundreds of people up there, no one should be upset even if they noticed us, as long as we're careful to stay calm and act like everyone else. And I do have my bow with me." She looked down for reassurance. I must be foolish to even consider doing this. Andreth ruefully mused. Yet, Lilac had been very convincing, especially when she talked about all the children who might be killed. And how would Andreth feel if one of those children had been her own son?

Yet, the Innkeeper had to admit there was a certain irony in this situation. She had just lectured her son on letting people know where he was going and pleaded with him to stay out of dangerous situations. Now she was turning around and doing exactly what she'd told him not to do.

The women guided their horses towards Archet and, once they had cleared the outskirts of the village, continued northeast through the forest. They had stopped for a moment in a quiet glade to take a short rest when Andreth, her eyes widening with fear, leaned forward and froze. Dead ahead of them, in the midst of a tangled thicket, she could hear the sound of someone approaching.

Tara's post for Kandel

~*~

Kandel sifted through the camp of people, looking for familiar faces. He had lost touch with many old friends that stayed there. After searching for a good while, he headed out into the trees with a shrug. He was so busy in reasoning with himself that he did not see two women in front of him, both with very startled expressions.

He looked at them carefully, and small grin played on his face. Their dress was too clean and fine to be from the refugees that had just come in, and they looked to healthy for that. Their tense movements also gave away their fear. Kandel relaxed a slight, finding a little hope in the fact they were yet to flee.

'Well, I can tell a few things from you both. One is that you are not of those from the Weather Hills. And the second is that you are here for a reason, and have not stumbled here by chance...'

'My name is Kandel, and my father is one that runs this group you call banditd, murderers, and savages. And what are your names?'

'We are here to see for ourselves what you are, we mean you no harm' said one, a brave and stern looking woman.

'And I do not doubt that at all,' Kandel said, not worrying that she did not answer his query. 'If you wish you may speak with my father on this. He is a man with a short fuse, but his heart is truer than you would put for a savage. What say you?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:42 AM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #234
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

The Ranger’s mind was already turning over possibilities in his mind. If what the old man had told him was correct, then there was an almost inevitable possibility that the group from the north would attack and soon. He began making schedules in his head. The archers would need to be in position at all times, in shifts – as would the men who would drop the net. Gatekeepers would be shortened to four hour shifts and there should be two of them at each gate – young, brawny men if possible with steady composures.

He expected the attack to come from the north, but could not eliminate the possibility that the bandits would divide their now large number and attack on several fronts. There were buildings near the gates used by the merchants as small warehouses; he would have them cleared and garrisoned with men and older youth. Should the alarm come from one of the gatekeepers or one of the lookouts he planned to station on the roofs of some of the buildings along the perimeter of the town there would be troops ready for immediate response.

Passing one of the town wells, he ticked off another of the needs on his mental list. Buckets should be stacked by all the wells near the hedge. Should the bandits attempt to burn through the hedge there would be citizen brigades to deal with it.

And where was Minastan, he wondered. And why had there been no reports back from him about the increasing numbers?

His footsteps carried him to the town hall and up the stairs to the mayor’s office. He could hear the rumble of two voices through the partially opened door. Good! Telien and the Mayor were both there. Rapping lightly as he pushed the door open, Berilac stepped across the threshold.

‘Gentlemen,’ he said, closing the door behind him. ‘I’ve heard some disturbing news . . .’

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:52 PM January 20, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #235
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Tolkien

Rosie and family

The table was set; the plates with flowers were filled with delicious food. Hedgar had seated, and Fippi was about to enter the kitchen. His feet carried him over to his chair were he sigh in. Rosie seated next to him, clapping him on his shoulder. She had been so close of loosing him; it was horrible to think about. "Do never go anywhere Fippi, without telling me....first.." Rosie said as she passed the bread over to him. She looked with a stern look at Hedgar.

Yes, even though it had been in Hedgar's best intention, he had told her that Fippi was sick, not that he had run over to some...cave...somewhere. Rosie was still suspicious, even though Hedgar had explained to her that Fippi had told him that he was going to meet friends. Hedgar had then told that he was completely innocent, with no idea over that the boy had gone over to the cave to save some rabbits. "Dear son.." Rosie continued. "You were supposed to save the coneys...which is a nice thing to do, indeed, I only wish that it hadn’t ended up like this...all the parents so worried..."Rosie sighed and smiled at him.

"I'm so glad you're back, Fippi" she said at last and clapped him on his cheek. "I'm sorry, mom.." Fippi said looking down onto his plate. "Oh no, dear.." Rosie started, while she gazed. Fippi didn't have to apologise for anything. It was an accident..."You don't need to apologise Fippi." She said and looked at him. "You didn't mean to harm anyone. It was n accident." She said and smiled down. her cheeks were all red, and her eyes were looking widely at him.

"Sonny, just promise us that you tell us where you go next time...alright?" Hedgar asked and gave a short laugh. "It could have gone much worse than it did." he continued.

"Aye!" Fippi said, and smiled, and took a bite of his bread.

"I just hope the others are alright.." He said and gave a short sigh. Rosie laughed again. "Don’t worry Fippi dear. They’re all alright." She said. "All of 'em are probably home by now..." She muttered.

"Oh Fippi!" Rosie exclaimed. As she had leaned her head over, she had noticed a small cut on Fippi's underarm. It wasn't bleeding anymore, but it had to be cleaned before he would get any infections in it. "I'll help you with that afterwards" Rosie said and smiled again.

Hedgar had been quiet for a while. He seemed to be thinking about something, because when Rosie offered him a cup of tea, he only shook his head as he always did when he was disturbed. It had almost become a reflex to him.

"Hm? er..." Hedgar muttered afterwards.” You want some more tea?" Rosie asked again, a bit more impatient this time. "Yes, please....just half a cup.." Hedgar muttered again.

"What's on your mind dad?" Fippi asked. He had obviously noticed the same thing as Rosie had. "Er....nothing son." Hedgar said and sighed. "I'm just so glad you're home again, that's all." he continued smiling

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:21 AM January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 01-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Berilac

Telien’s head turned round to see who had spoken, then motioned the Ranger forward. ‘We’ve had reports in from the northern section of the hedge,’ he said, his finger running over the line on the map before him. ‘There was only minor scorching. Our efforts to keep the hedge wet proved effective.’ He tapped on the wide ditch that ran just outside the hedge. ‘I’ve already set several crews out here to clear away the burned limbs that fell here.’

The mayor turned the map round to where he sat at his desk. ‘One crisis over and well met,’ he said with a decisive tone, his features changing from those of a pleased nature to a questioning look as he glanced up at Berilac.

News had not reached the mayor’s office yet of what the peddler had seen and heard in his travels. The faces of both Telien and Harald grew grave as Berilac related what he had heard and what he thought about this bit of news. With his theory of the bandits and the fire, the two began to wonder just how fortunate the town had been.

‘This puts a new face on our good luck,’ said Harald. Telien agreed, frowning at the mention of the increased numbers of people from the north. ‘We have not heard from Minastan in a long while – do you suppose they have found him out, and he is held prisoner?’

‘Or worse,’ said Berilac. ‘I fear if they have found him out he is already dead.’ The Ranger positioned the map so that all could see it. The three bent their heads low over it, fingers pointing and voices low and edged with urgency.

By this evening, or tomorrow before the sun rose, the defenses would be set in place. First on the list would be the locking of all the gates at all times, Berilac insisted. Only those whose faces were known to the guards or could have a citizen of Bree fetched to vouch for them would be allowed in.

Telien was sent off to see to the securing of the upper perimeter along the top of the hill. Once done with that, he said he would call up the archers to be placed along the northern edge of the city, on the buildings there and see to the final placing of the net they had discussed.

The mayor called for his young assistant to come into the office. Big and Little Folk would man the lookout points along the Hedge. Harald handed the young man a list he had drawn up earlier of names and shift times. ‘Contact this section first,’ he instructed the man, ‘and get them sent out to the look-out towers. Then notify the others when they will need to show up.’ The young man nodded his head vigorously, clutching the list tightly. ‘Come back quickly, then,’ the mayor admonished him. ‘We’ll need to see to the bucket brigades. Off you go then,’ he said with a dismissive wave. Once he was gone, Berilac and the Mayor looked further at the defense plans, adjusting them as needed, planning for contingencies as they could.

By this afternoon, evening at the latest, Bree would be an armed camp . . .
Old 01-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #237
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Pipe

Hedgar

Hedgar looked at his son, Fippi. He was so relieved he was okay. Even though he felt guilty about Fippi going out at night and ending up in a fire, he told himself that it wasn't exactly his fault. He grinned as he took his hand roughly through his son's hair. Fippi looked up and smiled. He looked at Fippi again, but had difficulties holding his mask. His son had just asked him about what it was that was bothering him. EVERYTHING, Hedgar had wanted to exclaim. He had stopped himself in the very last moment, and said that he was fine, even though he knew so much better.

It was starting to get late, Hedgar had calmed down, but still getting small panic attacks now and then. Fippi had made his way to his room, his mother following, making sure he went to bed; for real this night. She sat on the bed, telling Fippi how much she cared for him and how happy she was that he was okay. Hedgar stood by the door, tripping. He pushed the door fully open and stepped inside. "Ehm, good night, sonny," he said, with a shaking voice. Fippi laughed, and asked him to come over.

"You don't have to be worried, papa," he assured Hedgar. "I'll never do such a thing ever again," he continued.

By these words he felt comforted and at last he managed to bend down and hug his boy. He held firmly about Fippi, hugging him tightly. He almost smashed the boy's head, and Rosie had to come to Fippi's 'rescue', when she saw that this had turned out to be a 'breathing-drama'.

The two of them smiled warmly at Fippi, as he made ready to sleep.

There was a knock on the door. Hedgar looked surprisingly at Rosie and went out of the bedroom,. Fippi, who was just as curious as the father to know who it was, jumped out of his bed, anxiously looking out of the window by the door. Hedgar hushed at him, looking quite nervous, but opened the door reluctantly.

"'Ello there," Hedgar said, being unsure. He couldn't quite see who it was, but as the shadow moved slightly forwards he recognized the man as being on of the mayor's assistants.

"Oh, hi there!" Hedgar said again, a bit more lively now. The man nodded, smiling as he discovered Fippi behind his father's back.

"I'm here on behalf of the mayor," he started. As soon as Hedgar heard this, he begged the man come in, and Fippi to go to bed. Fippi looked at Hedgar, eyes filled with disappointment. Hedgar gave him a fierce look, but regretted it the very moment he had done it. (Fippi hadn’t really deserved it..) He tried to excuse himself, but his son was already on his way towards his room again. The man stood impatiently, looking at the father and the son.

"It's fine," he said after a while. "I just wanted to assure you and your wife were ready to man the bucket brigade along the hedge. You might want to work shifts as you have a little boy," he said with determination.

Hedgar stood silently, watching Rosie as she advanced through the hallway and came over to his side.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:11 PM January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 01-24-2004, 03:54 PM   #238
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Tolkien

Rosie

Rosie heard that there had been someone at the door. Hedgar however had caught it first and he had opened it. "I just wanted to assure you and your wife was ready to man the bucket brigade along the hedge. You might want to work shifts as you have a little boy."

"Man the bucket brigade along the hedge?" Rosie asked questioned when she came over and stood by Hedgar's side.

"Yes," The young man said. "You'll have to be ready in case the alarm bell rings. As you probably know the town is getting ready to defend itself if there should be an attack. We are quite sure that the bandits will attack...soon, and we'd better get ready." he continued. Rosie gazed. It was this bad? Rosie had known about the situation of course, but she had never really imagined it to be like this.

Hegar opened his mouth, but Rosie interrupted. She turned around and dragged Hedgar with her. "But we've just dealt with the FIRE!" She said behind her teeth. She wasn't sure if the young man behind them had heard what she'd said do she dragged Hedgar with her further down the hallway. "Yes, I know." Hedgar said. "But we have to...I mean...I think we should help our town." Hedgar continued. "Yes, but what about Fippi?" Rosie continued, still speaking with a tense, but low voice.

"We'll stand shifts, as he proposed." Hedgar suggested.

"Excuse me..?" The young man said whit a shivering voice. He was obviously nervous. "Yes..?" Hedgar said and turned, and so did Rosie. They walked towards him as he talked. "I'm sorry, but this is really important. The mayor is quite worried....I mean, the gates are locked down, and there are armed men and Hobbits in the streets. They are now taking their positions on rooftops and along the walls...We have to be ready!" The man said to try to convince them that they had to do this. He still seemed nervous, not for confronting them, but about the situation in town and about the bandits that were going to attack.

Rosie sighed. She knew by herself that they would have to do this. Not only for the town, but also for her own son, she wanted him to be safe. "Okay then..." She said and sighed. "We'll man the bucked brigade along the Hedge." She said and looked at Hedgar. He smiled faintly and kissed his wife on the cheek.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:00 AM January 30, 2004: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 01-26-2004, 02:11 AM   #239
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Lilac and Andreth:

Hearing Kandel's offer to lead them to his father, Lilac quickly responded, "Your words ring true, but you must give us a moment to speak on this." Lilac glanced towards Andreth who had retreated to the opposite end of the clearing.

Kandel acknowledged Lilac with a shake of his head and then withdrew to a spot several paces distant where he could still see the women, but was out of immediate earshot. Seeing the young man squat down beside the tangled underbrush to wait, Lilac clasped Andreth's hand and pulled her close, speaking in a quiet but determined manner, "Whether you will or not, Andreth Woolthistle, I am determined to do this thing. For, despite the danger, this meeting holds the promise of hope. Yet I will not hold it against you if you turn back to Bree, and leave me here to do what must be done."

Andreth could see there was no sense trying to argue with Lilac or talk her out of what she proposed to do. She looked over at her companion and responded, "We have known each other many a long year. And in all that time, you have stood by my side again and again....first, when I was but a child, then a young bride coming to the Pony, and later when my husband met a violent death on the road and I was left alone with Edmund. You did not desert me through all that, and I will not desert you now. But I pray with all my heart that you are right about these men, for I do not wish to leave my son an orphan."

Lilac smiled soberly and squeezed Andreth's hand, "We are agreed then. Let me do the talking, and we will see if any good can come from all this." Lilac walked over towards Kandel, saying that they would follow him, for they judged him to be an honorable man who would not intentionally lead them into danger. The party slowly made its way towards the camp and the tent that belonged to Lotar.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Andreth followed last in line, trying to still the thumping of her heart and wondering if she had made the right decision. Her responsibility for her young son weighed heavily upon her head. Perhaps, she was wrong to take such a risk. Yet, how could she turn her back on her friend and their first opportunity to make a difference?

As they made their way through the camp, the sounds and smells of the morning pressed in, imprinting themselves upon Andreth's mind. The first thing that struck her was the incredible crush of human bodies within the clearing.....hundreds of folk crammed into a tiny space, most looking tired and drawn from their long trek on the road. Everywhere she heard the voices of children and the laughter of families reunited, but mixed in with these were less cheerful sounds. For Andreth could also hear the wail of babes, sick and hungry, and the piteous moans of the maimed and injured who lay on the ground looking out with pain filled eyes. Whatever hardship she had seen in Bree these past few months, however many hungry mouths there had been with the drought, it was nothing compared to what she was gazing upon here. She did see armed men here and there, but they were few in number when compared with the vast number of women and children and those who were elderly or injured.

Faced with such obvious need, Andreth turned aside from her path and came close to weeping, but then forced herself to go forward again. Everywhere in the camp she looked, the tired travelers turned their curious faces towards the women, since their well fed frames and respectful clothing seemed to hold hidden memories of a safe and stable world that had been all but forgotten. Groups of refugees stared and whispered to their neighbor, wondering out loud who the two might be or what their errand was.

Kandel went in first, and spoke privately with his father, then beckoned the two to enter. As the women walked into the tent, they could make out two men seated at the table engaged in earnest conversation. One was a face that neither Lilac or Andreth recognized, but the other seemed vaguely familiar. Andreth glanced over, at first puzzled as she tried to make out the grizzled features of the outlaw who somehow looked familiar despite his too lanky frame and tattered clothing. Then she hastily put her hand over her mouth to cover a look of surprise as she suddenly realized that this stranger was Minastan the Ranger. She felt her body relax slightly, realizing that they had at least one friend in the tent.

Lotar glanced over at the women, speaking in a voice both tired and stern, "It is a long way for two women to ride all the way from Bree. Why have you come? And what do you want? Are you not afraid to come here into our camp?"

"Afraid?" replied Lilac, staring back at Lotar. "Yes, we are afraid but we fear the scourge of war even more. And we wonder why no one on either side has bothered to stop for a moment and ask to what end this road will lead us. Andreth and I have come to see if there is anything the people of Bree can do to help you and your folk. And the hardship we have seen in this camp makes us think this even more. Perhaps if the leaders of our city were to meet with you and your advisors, some new understanding might come forth that would avoid great bloodshed and sorrow."

"And where do you propose that this meeting take place?" Lotar queried. "For I do not trust your mayor any more than he trusts me"

Before Lilac could respond, Minastan looked over at Lotar and spoke, "Lotar, perhaps there is something the women could do to prove their mettle and to build a bit of trust." He looked over towards Lilac, "We have many sick and injured, especially children. Their mothers are desperate. For if some do not get proper care and herbal remedies, they will surely die. We have no healers here. Only in Bree would there be any hope for these families."

He glanced over at Lotar and lowered his voice, "I beleve the mothers would go to the city rather than have their children face certain death here. Let these Breelanders take the sickest children and their mothers into the town. Then we will see if the mayor of Bree enough heart to reach out to those in great need."

"I will go with them unarmed," Minastan continued. "Send me into Bree as a pledge of good faith. I will speak the cause of the outlaws before their leaders and see if a later meeting can be set up. If I do not return to you, Lotar, within the space of two days, go ahead and launch your attack. Nothing will be lost, other than my arm and shield."

Lilac shook her head in agreement. Both women looked expectently towards Lotar waiting for his response.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:28 AM January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 01-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #240
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Tara for Lotar:

Lotar looked into the eyes of the two women as they sat in his tent. Both looked edged on the spot, their nerves tight. But their earnest plea could not be from any place but their hearts. He stood up and faced them.

'It is agreed. I will let you take our sickest women and children. I could do little but refuse, they need it so. I thank ye for your kind deeds, all of ye. This will bring some joy to a place that has long had little'

Lotar saw the smile on his son's face, and shrugged him off. His conflict was great within him. He wished to make a home for himself, and the people of Bree were in his way. But he loathed the idea of killing to have such a pleasant life. He pondered whether these two could bring a peace all could be happy for. He also wondered if Guthwne would live with such a thing...

The thought of the man called his thoughts into order, and he looked back up, 'I will tell you now there are those who will not like this plan. But I have no doubt that they will not get in your way. With that I must leave you for now'

He quickly left the tent, and it took him very little time to find Guthwine.

'Hear me now. We are taking the sickest of the women and children into Bree for care. We have some men escorting them there as soon as we can. I want no word from ye of this. I have sat idle too long, and now I take action that I think is wise. You will stay away from this Guthwine'...

Child for Guthwine

Guthwine turned around and was about to explode, lecturing Lotar on how dangerous and unwise such an action could prove. But, before he could open his mouth to complain, one of the women with a very sick child came rushing up to Lotar, knocking Guthwine out of the way.

She threw herself onto her knees and bent low to the ground, offering thanks to Guthwine for finding help for her sick child. Thoroughly embarassed but also privately pleased, Lotar reached down and helped the woman to stand again, while glaring back at Guthwine who remained strangely silent.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:34 AM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]