The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Why didn't Bilbo see everything bluury-like?

Whenever Frodo put on the ring, everything was blurry, why didn't it have the same effect on Bilbo? Is Bilbo stronger? Does it have something to do with the fact that Sauron was looking for it?
Old 09-05-2002, 04:40 PM   #2
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was wondering that too. If I put the ring on and it was blurry like that, I would be too scared to put it back on. Of course, they probably chose to portray it like that for dramatic results, otherwise it would be no big deal. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2002, 06:06 PM   #3
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

From reading the books, I had always imagined that those things connected with the Dark Lorn were shown funkily. Such as the riders or the lidless eye. I beleive it was just some hollywood need for special effects that made the "ring vision" that way.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Remember, when The Hobbit was written, the Ring was just a "plain old ordinary magic ring", not the One Ruling Ring of Sauron.

If you want to look at it from a plot standpoint, Sauron wasn't at full power, and had not yet been lusting after the Ring in all his spare time. Also, the movie (in that sense) is innacurate: it didn't become "blurry", except near Mordor:

Quote:
At once [Sam] was aware that hearing was sharpened while sight was dimmed, but otherwise than in Shelob's lair. All things about him now were not dark but vague; while he himself was there in a grey hazy world, alone, like a small black solid rock, and the Ring, weighing down his hand, was like an orb of hot gold. He did not feel invisible at all, but horribly and uniquely visible; and he knew that somewhere an Eye was searching for him.
In the Prancing Pony, Frodo suffered none of these side effects.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:22 AM   #5
Donisile Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Donisile Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Donisile Of Mirkwood
Sting

I was about to mention this quote aswell.....its does mention about him taking off the ring to see better as well...
Old 10-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #6
Gayametwen
Pile O'Bones

Gayametwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I belive it was becuase Sauron who made it didn't rely on his vision, but anyway, in the books and the movie and the unknown cartoon, when one wears the ring they see the ringwraiths and other evil things cleqarer...I believe that was all that Sauron needed to see so he did not need the other things so it would be blurry...and when Frodo saw light through it it was a good person ...anyway..yeah *sigh*
Old 10-19-2002, 07:42 AM   #7
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As I recall it, in the books it does say that Frodo's vision of the world pales when he puts on the ring - also before he gets to Mordor.

It's true that Bilbo doesn't experience this effect of the ring - we must ascribe it to the growing power of Sauron (as another poster says) between Bilbo's last use of it (at the end of his speech at the birthday party) & the first time Frodo uses it, after he leaves Bagend. Remember, in the books thats some 16 years or so...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:59 AM   #8
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

It could be because it simbolize the Darkness of the Ruling Ruling. Maybe ..just maybe that Bilbo did feel the same thing cause what we are viewing is from Frodo`s perspective...someone correct me if i am wrong.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]