The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
What was the best extended scene in the three EE's?

As a companion to the "What was the best new scene in the three EE's" thread, this thread asks which extended scene was best in the three EE's. That is, which scene that was originally in the theatrical edition but extended in the EE's was the best?

No question for me on this one (though, again, I still haven't seen ROTK EE). It's gotta be the scene in TTT EE where Faramir captures Frodo and Sam. The extension completely changes the scene and gives a lot more depth and feeling to Faramir's character. There is no scene that I more fervently wish would have been included in the theatrical version.

Opinions, please!

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
My favorite was in the TT (this might be the one you were talking about above, im not sure) when Boromir retakes Osgiliath and it shows the interaction between Boromir, Faramir and Denethor. I really thought that was a great scene
TomBrady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I really liked the extended Council of Elrond. It was neat to see the sky cloud over, just like it was supposed to, when Gandalf spoke the Black Speech. I love it!

Last edited by Laitoste; 02-04-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Laitoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
I would have to say that one of my favorite extended scenes would be the one in the TT, where they show a flashback to Osgiliath with Boromir, Faramir, and Denethor. It gave me a better understanding of Boromir's character, and portrayed him in a way that made him less a "villan" in the end when he tries to take the ring from Frodo. It also aloud the audience to see the brotherly dynamic between Boromir and Faramir, which we do not get to see first hand, even in the books.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
when Boromir retakes Osgiliath and it shows the interaction between Boromir, Faramir and Denethor.
Yes, one of my favorites!
I also liked the Houses of Healing in RotK EE.

Nim
Old 02-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
I think my favorite extended scene is what Merry said to Aragorn when he was watching Pippen and Gandalf ride away to Gondor.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Ooo, I loved that one too, Durbelethwen! I guess I don't have a favorite.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Ohh, I don't think I could pick just one. I really liked the scene in FOTR where Sam and Frodo got to see the elves in the Shire, although I know it's not really totally accurate to the books, it really shows off the elves. For some reason, I really like the lighting and the way they shot that scene, it just seems really beautiful.

From ROTK there was this one shot of the white tree that, again, is not true to the book, but should have been left in, simply for it's cinimatic greatness. I think the camera is following Denethor and Faramir on their way to the tombs, and Denethor is going off about how there is no hope and it is better to die now rather then later, the camera pulls back to show that there is a single flower blossoming on the White Tree. It is so powerfull, I think that it adds hope to a otherwise depressing movie.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 AM   #9
Faramir
Animated Skeleton

Faramir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Faramir
I like the scenes in Fotr when Bilbos talking about the shire in his book.A hobbit is about to kiss another Hobbit then some cupcakes go by and he grabs one of those, and the guy who cant get the "stuff" off his ear,and an old hobbit slaps a pigs "bum" to get it moving.I thought that was pretty funny.

Last edited by Faramir; 02-21-2005 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
one that springs to mind is the new scenes with Faramir and Denethor, where D calls F a 'wizard's pupil' which is a great line from the book. the reason I raise it here, is becuase I think I've seen some of the best acting in the movies in this scene from john noble, where he paraphrases the great line (to Gandalf in the book)
Quote:
Nay, it should have been kept, hidden, hidden dark and deep. Not used, I say, unless at the uttermost end of need, but set beyond his grasp, save by a victory so final that what then befell would not trouble us, being dead.
the look on his face as he delivers these lines is priceless. you can see how he is already tempted by the Ring, and as Gandalf says, shows us what it would do to his mind, even though it would be locked away in the depths of the mountain.......

I believe, looking back on the 3 films, the acting from john noble in this scene is (perhaps) the Best of All.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Nay, it should have been kept, hidden, hidden dark and deep. Not used, I say, unless at the uttermost end of need, but set beyond his grasp, save by a victory so final that what then befell would not trouble us, being dead.
That is a great scene, Essex (and well acted). In my opinion, John Noble was one of the better actors in RotK, to bad his character was twisted to such a degree.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Oh, absolutely one of the best (besides the numerous drinking songs) was Faramir talking to Pippin, when he gives him his childhood armor. Too bad they didn't tell you in the Rohan camp that Merry was wearing Theoden's childhood armor.
GASP maybe that's why they made it Faramir's armor... *hmm*

Engaging the Improbability Drive... now! {Hopefully the Phantom will pop up in my room...}

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I know a lot of people don't like Eowyn's song at Theodred's funeral but I think this is the most haunting scene of the films. A definite thumbs-up for me.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Ah, very good catch, Eomer! Yes, that one rates quite high.

Also Eomer's grief over Eowyn at Pelennor.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #15
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Eomer
Quote:
I know a lot of people don't like Eowyn's song at Theodred's funeral but I think this is the most haunting scene of the films. A definite thumbs-up for me
Same here, definately a timeless moment that looked and sounded perfect. I also loved Aragorns coronation song, and the Elves singing and passing Westwards through the Shire in the Fellowship was beautifully melancholic and haunting.
mark12_30
Quote:
Also Eomer's grief over Eowyn at Pelennor
I agree, a powerful and superbly captured scene.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote