The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #41
tom the eldest
Wight

tom the eldest has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
Probably. I do wonder if their sailors had ever penetrated these boundaries before.
The numenorians probably have,either when they are exploring,or trying to find aman.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #42
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom the eldest View Post
The numenorians probably have,either when they are exploring,or trying to find aman.
The Númenóreans knew where Aman was, but they were forbidden to sail there. They could sail west but not so far as to lose sight of the land of Númenor. They could, however, see Avallónë which is a city on Tol Eressëa "easternmost of the Undying Lands." [Sil., Akallabêth, p. 324] All I know is that they did sail:

"ever eastward and not westward, from the darkness of the North to the heats of the South, and beyond the South to the Nether Darkness; and they came even into the inner seas, and sailed about Middle-earth"
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #43
tom the eldest
Wight

I mean when they try to find the remnant of numenor island.sorry.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #44
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
The Numenoreans had pretty much colonised a lot of the world by the time they fell. When Sauron was taken in, I get the impression that apart from the West most of the world was under their power.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #45
tom the eldest
Wight

So great is their power that no armies of middle earth or southern continent that can fight them.how do they achive such might?i mean they were always the game changer.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Harad is huge.

Going by the latitudes given in Letter 294, the region marked "Far Harad" on the LotR maps is actually just at the latitude of Tunisia; i.e "Far Harad" is just North Africa!

This must be a hypothetical "furthest south" from the perspective of a northern map-maker.

In order to get beyond Harad to the actual Southern Continent, and assuming climate and vegetation are imagined as being similar to ours, you'd have to cross multiple climate zones, deserts, jungles, rainforests, plains, etc. You'd be dealing with strange tropical diseases, wild animals, hostile natives, etc all the way, and next week you'd have a whole new set of them to deal with.

Of course you could sail there. Aside from Ambarkanta map V we don't have much idea of the geography beyond Umbar/Tunisia, but assuming it's navigable (and that Third Age shipbuilding is up to the standards of the Numenoreans, which it probably isn't) you'd still need to come ashore for fresh water and food. A smaller expeditionary force could probably carry enough to last the journey, a conquering army almost certainly couldn't.

And all of this is just to get by Harad; we haven't even gotten to the Southern Continent yet.

Europeans didn't conquer Africa until comparatively modern times, and there are good reasons why. Likewise the Numenoreans - who had the greatest mariners, the strongest armies - never conquered either Harad or the Southern Continent. People from the Third or Fourth Age wouldn't be able to either (people from the Sixth or Seventh Age probably would, though ).