The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #1521
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Just one thing I'd like to see mentioned, Ancalagon is not explicitly named the mightiest dragon, but the mightiest winged dragon. I had a rather long discussion in another forum with a fellow member on this topic. he considered that Glaurung was better.
I too believe Ancalagon is more powerful, not only because he is said to have a stronger fire-breath and also the ability to fly, but also as a latter dragon must have had certain "improvements" from the original design.
His main argument was that if he really was the mightiest of all, Tolkien would not have clearly specified mightiest of the winged dragons.

Since the matter is somewhat unclear, I'd be careful about this.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #1522
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It is completely fair for you to point that out. . .I do stuff like that my self, but as this is a quiz room I am not going to care much whether I sometimes give charachters more credit than they deserve.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #1523
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ancalagon the Black is, of course, the correct answer.

Take the thread.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #1524
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
hmmm I cannot think of a very good question. . . Just give me the names of the people from the house of Hador that was raised in foster care.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #1525
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Silmaril

Tuor and Turin?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #1526
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I belive so (If there was anyone else then I have forgotten)

I hand the thread back to you.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #1527
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

What was Aule's other name?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 AM   #1528
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I know he had some other name but I can't recall it right now... So what about Mahal, the name dwarves used of him?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #1529
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

For sure.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #1530
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Who betrayed his companions because of love?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #1531
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gorlim.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #1532
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Of course, you're right.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #1533
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ok, new one:

Which twins were spared by the enemy?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #1534
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Elrond and Elros? Spared by the remaining Fëanor's sons?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #1535
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Indeed.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #1536
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Who taught the others something, even though grieving?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #1537
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nienna?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #1538
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

It's one thing that could come on one's mind, but no.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #1539
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Maybe you should lower your standards and make it more like a normal quiz question and less vague.

If this is not something you want to do, then maybe a hint of some sort would be doable.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #1540
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I raised my standards after I learnt that when I post a too "common" question, some Might will appear out of nowhere and answer it before anyone else could post.
The second problem is probably that I have a very vague idea of what should be considered as "common knowledge", so that I don't post anything like "what was Mr. Baggins' first name?". It's hard to define the line.

But okay, this one is quite hard, but I believe certain kind of people could know that. So, a hint - this mysterious "someone" taught the Elves something, even though grieving.

Now I believe the question even makes more sense (it was not that apparent from the original one).
Old 11-24-2007, 06:06 AM   #1541
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Tolkien

Yes this one is deffinitly better! I totaly get that "I think I know this" feeling that any good question should give you, it incourages you to think and maybe even do some book searching.

Anyways about the standarts I see why you raised the level, basicly to make the game more accesable for everybody. Just be careful because if you make them too vague you exclude the ones who are not particuler fond of/good at that kind of questions.

Anyways I like the question as it is now.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #1542
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Yes this one is deffinitly better! I totaly get that "I think I know this" feeling that any good question should give you, it incourages you to think and maybe even do some book searching.

Anyways about the standarts I see why you raised the level, basicly to make the game more accesable for everybody. Just be careful because if you make them too vague you exclude the ones who are not particuler fond of/good at that kind of questions.

Anyways I like the question as it is now.
Good. I will try to make it clear enough in the future. So, good luck in your riddling
Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #1543
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

It was Ossë who taught teleri how to make ships, even though grieving
Old 11-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #1544
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hmm, Rune, what a pity

Yes, of course, you are right, Lommy. Please continue the thread
Old 11-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #1545
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Pipe

Not really. . .I did not have time or rather I did not take time to think it through and decided that I would give it ago in the early hours of the morning if nobody else had guessed it.

Of course this does limit my obviouse procrastination options, but I will survive.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #1546
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

But Rune, my friend! You may occupy yourself with the next question:

Huan was allowed to speak three times in his life. Name the three occasions he decided to use his ability.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 PM   #1547
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

First, when he spoke to Lúthien about her escape from Nargothrond.

Second, when Beren wanted Lúthien to turn back from their journey to Angband.

Third, before he died, saying goodbye to Beren.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #1548
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Yes, you're right of course. Now you can make up the next question to let Rune (or someone else) procrastinate...
Old 11-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #1549
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Maybe actually answering the questions instead of Rune is in fact helping him? You know, so that he spends his time in a more... useful way.

But whatever. Let's try something easier (I believe/hope) for a change:

What fortress turned out to be absolutely useless, because it was built at a place where it was useless?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #1550
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is it Gondolin?

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 11-29-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #1551
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
whats that name... Vinyamar?
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #1552
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, no. Gil-Galad is somewhat close, maybe he actually knows what I have in mind, just cannot find what exactly it is
Old 11-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #1553
Gil-Galad

maybe i do...

only things i can come up with is:

Edoras(they deserted this fort-city for helms deep)

or

Utumno(it was destroyed in the first attack upon it)

if its close to Vinyamar then i'm rather lost... geographically close or history-close?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #1554
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Both geographically and historically.

And of course, then neither of the answers you provided was the correct one.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:55 AM   #1555
Gil-Galad

i could say Hithlum... it was in the north and it was overrun eventually. it posed no threat to Morgoth what-so-ever besides covering that flank, but like i said it was over run and Easterlings populated it.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #1556
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yes, but it still guarded the flank and the it did what it was supposed to do. The fortress I am thinking of was never used in the way it was supposed to be used when it was built.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:03 AM   #1557
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, in a Legate-like style I didn't wish to post to give you a chance.
But, then again you tried...

It's Barad Nimras, built by Finrod Felagund on a headland westward of Eglarest to warn in case Morgoth would ever attack from the ocean. As he however never did, it was never needed.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #1558
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Of course, what else. Please continue
Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #1559
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, hope this next one shall prove to be a little bit problematic:

Who sang while something blossomed?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #1560
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

That can be a lot of people. At least two Valier, one Maia and one Elf come to my mind. But I believe you can be referring to Yavanna and the Trees.