The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #1
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Location: Heaven, where Middle-earth and Zion are fused and all the guys are sexy beasts!
Elróthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Will people still like LotR in 3000 years???

I was thinking earlier on today, obviously about LotR, and I thought,
"Hey! In 3000 years, what will happen to LotR??? Will it be the new bible because it is the only book wide enough to survive 3000 years? Will it have inspired thousands to write spin-offs? WHAT??"

So THEN I thought,
"Hey! I'll ask what people's opinions are of this on BD!! Might also make for a good fanfic!"

So, People of Barrow-Downs! Please reply!
By the way, who here likes Bad Religion?

Namarié!
From
Elróthiel, the Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter!
Old 06-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm... in 3000 years language will have changed, but being an epic I think LotR will have been translated into this tongue.
It'd still be read and appreciated, but many children would find reading uncool and therefore its fans would dwindle. Ever our numbers would fall, until our line shouldst fail for ever. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
You've made me really sad now bringing that up.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I think that you might be able to get a copy of it. I mean someday soon they will copy every book to a big hard drive to be stored almost indefinitly. So if anyone wanted a copy they could get it, but it can obviously be assumed that it wont be as big as it is now, but if Tolkien gets put into some kind of book of great authors there may be a few that check him out.

btw greetings Elróthiel post well! Also I have not heard of bad religion.

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Trippo The Hippo ]
Old 06-14-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Location: Heaven, where Middle-earth and Zion are fused and all the guys are sexy beasts!
Eye

WOOTY WOOT WOOT!! REPLIES!!!
YAY!
Sorry I made you sad Guy Who Be Short! I didn't mean to! Hey! What about adults!!? They wouldn't find reading uncool!! Oh! And!I'll bet many kids would read it in secret!! So there WOULD be fans! Just secret fans! Fans that gather in secret meetings and discuss things all LotR! On the net! Like this site, but SECRET!!! NEHAWAHAA!!!

Trippo! Bad Religion are this uber cool band! I recommend that you listen to an MP3 of some of their songs.
Oh, and yea! That would be cool if that happened! Woot! Also it be done with everything! Movies, books, drawings, paintings, mangas, animes, TV shows, computer programs, really cool theories about this world we live in (Matrix!), and etc etc........

Anyhoo, replies are goodly! Yayness!
Namarié!
Old 06-14-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I imagine Tolkien's works will go through waves of popularity, as it has before. We just happen to be on a crest of popularity at the moment. Granted, the books probably won't be a popular then, but look at the other epics that have gone for about 3000 years, like the Odyssey. If Tolkien's works have classic elements in them that are universal to humankind, no matter what the time, surely they will endure to some extent!
Peace
Old 06-14-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know about 3000 years, but certainly 30 years. My children will grow up reciting the Lay Of Leithian, not nursery rhymes.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:52 AM   #7
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In 3000 years.........I'm not so sure if LOTR will be around. They'll be so many more epics and novels.
Or on the other hand, this world could be revolved around Middle-earth, Who knows? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:13 AM   #8
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Something tells me that the world will be blown up in 3000 years... just an incling, you know how the world peace stakes are and all that...

But i think that people will still LOVE it its just that they wont be able to read it, becuase we will all be dead.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:15 AM   #9
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
My children will grow up reciting the Lay Of Leithian, not nursery rhymes.

that and the script from the lion king!

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-15-2003, 08:41 AM   #10
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Quote:
LOL! I agree! BUT! Also all the cool Matrix lines! Sunglasses and pointy ears will be the new fashion! (Not that they aren't already, because they are!).
Oh! And they WILL be able to read it, because when we die, we go to the place we'd most like to go to! That's my theory anyway! So LotR fans would go to Middle-earth and become their fave race, Matrix fans would go to Zion, and be able to do all the cool Neo Stuff, Lion King fans would go to Africa and become animated lions, and Britney Spears fans would all die and go to Hell.

Yup! So LotR would be able to be read! Yay!
All hail Lord of the Rings and bow down to its God, J.R.R. Tolkien! Never question the power of Imagination!

Namarié!
From

--------------------

Coconuts are the new horses!
Old 06-15-2003, 08:42 AM   #11
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Quote:
LOL! I agree! BUT! Also all the cool Matrix lines! Sunglasses and pointy ears will be the new fashion! (Not that they aren't already, because they are!).
Oh! And they WILL be able to read it, because when we die, we go to the place we'd most like to go to! That's my theory anyway! So LotR fans would go to Middle-earth and become their fave race, Matrix fans would go to Zion, and be able to do all the cool Neo Stuff, Lion King fans would go to Africa and become animated lions, and Britney Spears fans would all die and go to Hell.

Yup! So LotR would be able to be read! Yay!
All hail Lord of the Rings and bow down to its God, J.R.R. Tolkien! Never question the power of Imagination!

Namarié!
From

--------------------

Coconuts are the new horses!
Old 06-15-2003, 11:24 PM   #12
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
and Britney Spears fans would all die and go to Hell.

What can i say? I totally agree...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-16-2003, 04:05 AM   #13
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i think that 3000 years from now, everybody would be a tolkein fan... i mean totally everybody... cos the books wouldn't have survived if there are only few people who would read and praise the books, right?! and i think that tolkeins books, especially lotr, the hobbit and the silmarillion, would be the best that any author has created... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

...and i also want to go to middle-earth! yippee!!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: barandilwen ]
Old 06-16-2003, 11:43 AM   #14
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Yavanna228. I think that J.R.R. Tolkien's works could stand the test of time. They do contain classic elements that are present, no matter what century we are in. And yes, I like Bad Religion.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 AM   #15
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Yeah, well im still betting on the world being destroyed by then! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 06-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #16
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

I agree with everdawn- This world is so going "Kaboie" soon...

BUT! Where ever the human race and their stupid annoying I-must-kill-every-thing-that-is-in-my-way LotR mut go to! For where are we without Tolkien??? Who will the Mary-sues call freaks? Who will take over the new form of IT rooms? Who will Be the LotR fans? Who will be misunderstood, and not understood?

Tolkien will follow. For he is the Writer, the maker of Arda. Never shall the world go without Tolkien again.

Have I freaked you yet??? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 02:05 PM   #17
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Prophecy of Mandos concerning the Fate of The Lord of th Rings.

This knowledge have I, Jay, acknowledged by meditation and prayer to Mandos.

The Lord of the Rings fans are many, yet too few. For many ages, more shall be born, yet ever too few. They will be scattered, divided, leaderless. And one by one, the lines of their children shall fail, until the utmost end, when none shall be left who believe in Eru or the Valar. Then shall be the last singing, and the greatest, and the secrets of Dead Men shall be revealed to all. And Morgoth should enter again, but be stricken by Turin and Fionwe and Fingolfin. Then shall He be defeated utterly, and thence will follow the utmost end, and the glory of Eru Iluvatar revealed to all.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:39 PM   #18
Arielle

Tolkien

Well, if we now leave things for our children to love and remember LOTR, then our children will passit on to the next generation and so on, then 3000 years later, they will still love and will always remember the Lord of The Rings ... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2003, 12:08 AM   #19
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
1420!

Some people say that if you keep DVD well preserved (like not go breaking them and leaving them out to get all dusty) then they will last 4ever, there's always the DVD's. Think 3000 years into the future, if we give all our kids these DVD's and they pass them down to their kids and so on and so forth, the people of, what? 5003??, will still have these DVDs. So some of the people from 5003 find these DvDs, and watch them, they get interested in it and look uo the books ( if his books ever suddenly disappear *gasp* ) So they look up the books way back in the ancient library conveinently located down the street, and find them, they read them, tell friends about them, friends read them, etc. So that if for some reason, Tolkien's books were for some reason disappear off he face of the earth *gasp*, but not entirely, then they cant go to the library down the street, and if they still read the books they can still like them...

but who's talkeng about the books disappearing.... n/m I never said anything.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Alatariel Telemnar ]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #20
Dunwen

Sting

Well, if everyone reads the books to their kids 24/7, than the kids will grow up loving Tolkien, and the books will get passed down through generation and generation, and so on and so forth. Then Tolkien will have immortality!
Old 06-18-2003, 02:34 PM   #21
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

When I'm pregnant I will play the audio versions to my unborn children. That way they will be fluent in the books as they grow up (if I continue to play them during my child's sleep). I don't know if it will work, but it is worth a try.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:36 PM   #22
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
I'm pregnant I will play the audio versions to my unborn children.
Meela, hehe. They'll never get it out of their heads. They'll be humming it throughout their lives!

Crickhollow
Old 06-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #23
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
Meela, hehe. They'll never get it out of their heads. They'll be humming it throughout their lives!
You speak of it as if some of us don't do that already.... lol, I'm sure many people already do...
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: Alatariel Telemnar ]

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Old 06-20-2003, 05:47 AM   #24
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Hey yea! That's a really cool idea Meela! I think that everyone who gets pregnant should be sent a copy of LotR in book and tape version! This way, you don't have to read it out when your throat hurts! DAMN THROATACHE!!!!
When the kids are asleep, put a little CD player next to their bed with LotR playing. Heehee! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
This world won't go kablooie, Elanor! Reason: Because it will go Kerflummpth! when it collapses from the heat of global warming. DAMN FACTORIES!!!!!!!!!!
See y'all!
Namarié!
From
ME!
Old 06-20-2003, 06:19 AM   #25
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Damn. I knew there was something wrong with that therory...
Old 06-20-2003, 06:27 AM   #26
Anything but Arwen
Wight

Anything but Arwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anything but Arwen
Silmaril

Wicked Thread Nathalie!!! Aint seen ye in aaaaaaaaages....we have a new instructor, now Dawn left....hes called Tim...he let me ride Asfaloth!! **dances** But I had to ride Cossie first....Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway....
Old 06-20-2003, 07:22 AM   #27
Nimrodel of Lorien

Thumbs up

Of course it will still be popular! Look at Shakespeare, people still read his plays and not always just because they have to (i.e school). I read it before they even started talking about it in school simply because I wanted to.
My point being that if the book is good enough (as good as LotR and other of Tolkien's works) than it will still be popular. Despite the decreasing number of readers, or the language changes. But I don't think you could compare it to the Bible or anything of that nature because people worshipped what is in that so that would be the difference.
Ok well let's just say that my entire descendance shall love LotR or else I'll be back to haunt them! Muahahahahaha! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 10:34 AM   #28
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Hey Nimrodel and welcome to the Downs! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

OK, that was a bit off topic....

Never mind me!

Crickhollow
Old 06-21-2003, 10:51 AM   #29
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
The Books, in my opinion, will last forever, because they're classic and classic never dies.
Imagine, when we all live in space colonies (because Earth will go KABOOM one day certainly) they will be named 'Rivendell', 'Lothlorien', 'Hobbiton' etc.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (about the name part, not Earth-blowing-up part [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]).
Besides, when Dagor Dagorath (sp?) comes, and Morgoth is utterly defeated, all will know the truth [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 11:00 AM   #30
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
The Books, in my opinion, will last forever, because they're classic and classic never dies.
That's very true, Aredhel. Why, I bet Tolkien would be happy to see that! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Old 06-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #31
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yep, that's true... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #32
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Well hoping that our children will have such classics passed down to them, and they pass the same classics on to their children and so on and so forth, I believe that Tolkien's legacy will still live [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2003, 06:32 PM   #33
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Was my first idea the longest post? Okay, just ignore that... I just got carried away...

Old 06-22-2003, 07:19 PM   #34
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I was just thinking. Elróthiel did you mean the year 3,000 or 3,000 years from now? Just curious.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:27 AM   #35
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I meant IN 3000 years. Not the year 3000, but IN 3000 years. I think it makes this whole thread more interesting. Yup!
Rate me!
From
Me!
Elrothiel (sorry, comp won't allow special characters), the Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:22 AM   #36
Elróthiel
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Come on people! Give YOUR opinion of whether or not people will like LotR in 3000 years!
This topic is in a danger of going off the first page!! (*gasp* SHOCK HORROR!!)
Come on then! Post a reply!
Happy Posting!
From
Elróthiel, the Elven Goddess of Hilariosity and Laughter! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 02:22 AM   #37
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Meela, one of two things can happen then... Either you children will be everything the tolkienist, or skitzophrenic... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 07-04-2003, 10:36 AM   #38
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

Quote:
But i think that people will still LOVE it its just that they wont be able to read it, becuase we will all be dead.
Umm... Aren't we all dead anyways? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

My children will grow up speaking fluent Elvish. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 10:42 AM   #39
Gamja
Haunting Spirit

Gamja has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamja
Sting

will people be around until the next 3000 years?
Old 07-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #40
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Yeh, I will