The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
Gorwen of Amber

Shelob....... anyone else can't wait?

Shelob..... they better do her well..... real well! *grins* She was a favorite part of mine in the books. I can't wait to see what they do!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Calathanien
Pile O'Bones

Calathanien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Calathanien
Sting

i cant wait to see how they do her either! <BR>cos she is one of the most eville characters in my opinion!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can wait. I'm an arachnophobic.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
naturegirl

Silmaril

I'm not a big fan of huge, disgusting spiders, but it'll be interesting to see how they plan on making her come alive!
Old 06-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #5
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

I just hope they make her as creepy as she is in the books. I mean, when I first read the description of her in TTT, I wanted to hide under my bed and cry. And I can't wait to see Sam fighting her in the movie. That was my favorite part of TTT, and I think Sean Astin will do a phenomenal job with it.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 05:31 PM   #6
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can certainly wait! Although it's important, it'll probably be my least favorite part of the movie. I'll be crying Not because I'm afraid of spiders or anything, just the fact of what happens, ie, Sam thinks Frodo is dead and stuff. <P>On the other hand it'd be an awfully fun opportunity to throw fake tarantulas on the people in front of me <P>Just kidding, of course

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I can't wait for Shelob. But I only have one fear. I am worried that many people may be turned off at the thought of a giant spider and so they may not want to go see the movie. But she is going to be so cool, definitely the best villian of the movies!<P>(Do I sound overconfident?)
Old 06-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #8
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

What exactly is the purpose of this thread? Is it just to see how may people want to see Shelob?<p>[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Trippo The Hippo ]
Old 06-13-2003, 09:46 PM   #9
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i cant wait to see the animation of shelob! i'm so excited to see the scenes with her... maybe she can win a best animated charcter award against gollum.. [if there's any]
Old 06-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #10
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

I think the animation of Shelob will be breathtaking. I mean, just look what PJ's done with Gollum! I'm gonna cringe every time she's on screen...
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:09 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Same.. I can wait, but thats becuase i like pretty things, like elves, glitter and unicorns..

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 11:22 AM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<I>SPIDER!!!!</I> I love Shelob, I can't wait to see her in RotK!!! I was so mad that she wasn't in Towers where she was supposed to be; after I saw Towers the first time I jumped up and started screaming at the screen because Shelob wasn't there. Scared a few people doing that..... <P>But I digress. I can't wait for Shelob. That was one of my favorite parts in the books; if PJ didn't do her right, so help me, I'll hunt him down and..... I'll stop there; no need to fill you all in on my hypothetical revenge.<P>A question for the arachnophobes: what exactly do you hate about spiders? I've never had a problem with them, even though I probably should (childhood experience, won't go into it), and I really can't understand why people hate them so much.<P>Oh, and also, Welcome to the Downs, naturegirl and Gorwen of Amber! Enjoy being dead.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #13
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aha! If it bites, stabs, drops, kicks, or mangles Frodo in any way, shape or form...<P><B>I'm Ready!</B>*malicious laughter as yet another dart plunges into the sorrowful hobbits forehead* <P>Mwahahaha!
Old 06-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #14
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>A question for the arachnophobes: what exactly do you hate about spiders?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>To tell you the truth, I'm not quite sure. Maybe it's the fact that they have so many legs. I don't like things with that many legs.<P>But spiders don't really scare me all that much. I mean, I can live with them and be fine. It's cockroaches that terrify me. And if you had the experience with roaches that I've had, you'd know why. *shudders*
Old 06-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Spiders are just unlucky to get picked on. Maybe its the web. Getting stuck in place and having a bug crawl towards you clicking its fangs isn't exactly a pleasant dream.<P>Personally, I've had quite a few bad experiences, which has given me a terrible fear of spiders.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #16
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But spiders don't really scare me all that much. I mean, I can live with them and be fine. It's cockroaches that terrify me. And if you had the experience with roaches that I've had, you'd know why. *shudders*<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I could just see Sam fighting a giant coachroach! *shudders* I feel the same way as you arianrod.<P>I can't wait to see Shelob. Not so much because of her but because it's Sam's big heroic scene. <P>For all of you arachnaphobics out there if you would like to practice watching spiders on screen a good movie to watch is "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets." That should prepare you for RotK.<p>[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-14-2003, 06:47 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I practically hid under the seats during Harry Potter
Old 06-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #18
arianrod
Wight

Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I could just see Sam fighting a giant coachroach!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>AHHH!!! *runs under the bed and shudders* A giant cockroach?! The horror! But cockroaches really are evil. A flying one attacked me once and chased me around the house. I swear to Eru, that thing would've killed me if it had the chance. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I can't wait to see Shelob. Not so much because of her but because it's Sam's big heroic scene.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My thoughts exactly! GO SAM!!
Old 06-15-2003, 01:12 PM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>--------------------------<BR>A question for the arachnophobes: what exactly do you hate about spiders?<BR>---------------------------------<P><BR>To tell you the truth, I'm not quite sure. Maybe it's the fact that they have so many legs. I don't like things with that many legs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes, the thought eight tiny legs is creepy for me. I think the worst feeling I've ever had is a spider crawling up my arm. <P>Interesting Fact: Did you know Tolkien was bitten by a tarantula as an infant? Poor guy. Perhaps that is how Shelob was born.<P>I'm hoping to see that Shelob looks as realistic as Gollum (or almost). I can't help but wonder about the details. The color, the shape, the size (big I know, but how big?). Whatever she ends up looking like, I have high expectations for Shelob.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I can't wait to see Shelob. Not so much because of her but because it's Sam's big heroic scene. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Same here. Sam's scene was my favorite part in the books and I have been waiting to see it on the big screen since the first movie came out. I hope they don't leave out Sam's cry in Elvish or the part where Gorbag thinks him an Elvish warrior.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #20
Caranrûniel

Sting

What I hate about spiders is how they move and also their feet are somehow disgusting.<P>They are actually quite ugly too.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Ummm, this is <B>not</B> a spider forum, so please limit the discussion to Tolkien's spiders. General comments on personal arachnophobia are off-topic. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:49 PM   #22
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>For all of you arachnaphobics out there if you would like to practice watching spiders on screen a good movie to watch is "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Or "Eight Legged Freaks". That movie doesn't even try to be serious; you'll be laughing too hard to be scared! (even ask my friend, the worst arachnophobe in the world. she loved that movie!)<P>Yeah, that's partly why I want to see Shelob: Sam's brilliant fight scene. I have very high expectations for that part, and PJ had better not screw it up.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:50 AM   #23
Katie-lyn

Sting

Oh Oh I can't wait to See Shelob even thouhg I am like one of the WORST aracniphobic....I have to agree with Meela <BR>I qas practically under my seat...And glancing at the ceiling every so often...*shudders* And then again I have to agree with Sapphire_Flame Eight LEgged freaks isn't that bad...Oh wait back on subject...Its been said that they are using a Tunnle Web Spider, a native of New Zealand *shudders and closes the magazine before runnng into her room to cry*
Old 06-19-2003, 09:42 PM   #24
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

I heard that somewhere too. But I think a lot of it will be CGI stuff and animatronics (for the fight with Sam). However they do it, they better do it well, or <I>else!!!</I> <P>Oh, and Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, Katie-lyn!!! Enjoy being dead.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:35 PM   #25
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Oh yeah! "The Choices of Master Samwise" was hands-down for me the best part in the entire series. Beautifully worded, beautiful imagrey. Beautiful imagrey in the noble heroic sense and/or high on adrenaline, anyway. Though I'm almost glad that RotK is several months away, and I have that long to savor the unspoiled territory. *sigh* <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Not asleep, dead! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I will come back, and then I'll not leave you again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*sob*<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If I could have my one wish, it would be to come back and find you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Excuse me. I have to go cry myself to sleep now.<p>[ June 20, 2003: Message edited by: Oddwen ]

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:56 PM   #26
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

Mm. Shelob. I'm a big fan of spiders, so yes, I am looking forward to it. It was a huge part of TTT, but I believe PJ was right in putting it off. Too many people would've thought Frodo was *really* dead. This is one of his big decisions that I agree with.<P>She should be spectular, too, judging from Gollum. I would expect her to not be *very* spider-like, though. Not too realistic, but still obviously a spider. At least that's what *I* would do.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:26 AM   #27
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Forget fighting a cokkie! what about a gian Steve Irwin... Poor Sam and Frodo, nothing can save them now!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 07:23 AM   #28
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Too many people would've thought Frodo was *really* dead. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree with you that PJ did the right thing putting it off, but I don't agree with the above. TTT the book ended with Sam finding out that Frodo was alive and chasing after him. I can't imagine anyone ending a movie by leaving the impression that the lead character was dead.<P>H.C.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:15 AM   #29
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> She should be spectular, too, judging from Gollum. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, yes but remember those Warg-Hyena-Teddybear-Lemming-hybrid things. I do hope that they do a better job with Shelob.<P>Actually, I'm fairly confident that they will. The Wargs have been the only disappointment for me out of the whole range of SFX creatures and characters that we have had so far.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #30
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Ah, yes but remember those Warg-Hyena-Teddybear-Lemming-hybrid things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL!<P>H.C.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #31
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The scenes with Shelob are some of the main reasons that I'll be seeing RotK. I also have to deffinately agree with Oddwen on "The Choices of Master Samwise". Ooh... I can't wait! <p>[ June 21, 2003: Message edited by: Rilwen Gamgee ]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:23 PM   #32
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't wait to see Shelob!!!! Should be awesome. I screamed in rage after TTT ended--which, in my opinion, was way too soon. But I hope they didn't put a long part with her in it at the expense of cutting something else out i.e. the scouring of the Shire!!! (But that would take much longer than Shelob anyway.) I loved that part in the books, I desperately hope they don't change anything. That's where I decided my favorite character is Sam. Well, and I want to hear (earlier on) Frodo's "Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!" (sorry, I'm learning Quenya and as such am partial to it.) <BR>I'm afraid of spiders too but that will just add to the effect for me. After seeing this I'll probably end up yelling "Gilthoniel A Elbereth!" every time I kill a spider.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:43 PM   #33
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>After seeing this I'll probably end up yelling "Gilthoniel A Elbereth!" every time I kill a spider.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>LOL!! <P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 07-05-2003, 09:07 AM   #34
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.killermovies.com/l/lotrthereturnoftheking/" TARGET=_blank>here</A> you can find some spoilers (of shelob too) of rotk. they have also some knowledge about rotk teaser trailer!<BR>just thought you'd like to know...
Old 07-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #35
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really hope that PJ does a good job on Shelob. But I wish he <I>did</I> put her in Towers, because Sam realizing Frodo wasn't dead would have been an excellent cliffhanger to end on. It would make people want to come back and see what happens. But...what must be done must be done.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 02:28 PM   #36
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

WOW!!! Thanks, spawn of ungoliant, for that link! That was so cool, I can't wait for RotK!!!!<P><B><I>Only 165 days until RotK (and Shelob)!!!</I></B>
Old 07-05-2003, 02:29 PM   #37
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Isn't there a chat room for junk like this? I have to comment anyway. <P>I can just see PJ bringing Liv in to battle Shelob! If he could ruin Frodo's moment of triumph with Miss Warrior Elf I'm sure Sam will never get his glory. <P>Okay, I'm a nutty Sam fan, but that's the way it is. <P>~You know you're totally obsessed with LotR when you've scratched "PJ must die" on the theatre seat in front of you with your One Ring during TTT~<P>I should be more greatful, I guess. Think about all the people who will read the books because of these movies! Then again, think of all the people who will never read the books who have seen the movies. (To self: Calm down your ranting.)<P>I'll get off your forum and annoy someone else now. <P>Long live Sam, (and Sean)!<p>[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Kates Frodo Temp ]

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:11 PM   #38
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

I can't wait either. It really upset me when they left her out of TTT.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #39
turin64

Sting

I am kind of glad they left her out of TTT becaues now it will be in the first 20 min or less in RotK! It is good suspense for the start of the movie
Old 07-06-2003, 12:15 PM   #40
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Yes, but now RotK will be hard pressed for time. Not only will PJ have to incorerate the RotK parts into RotK, but also the Wizard Confrontation, & Shelob. O well, he can dig his own grave as far as I'm concered.<BR> <p>[ July 08, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote