Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #561
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nice post, Undómë.

What do you suppose. . .should I wait until Nogrod fills his save and the others catch up to them before they leave? Or, perhaps, to explain why the girls hadn't left yet, perhaps Raedwald thought it wasn't a good idea for Meghan to go riding off with Athwen to a group of savages who just ambushed their companions. That would seem reasonable. I don't think Raedwald would like Meghan riding off alone with Athwen, after all. Perhaps, to explain why we're two still there when Nogrod and Eowyn's characters arrive, you could add onto your post and have Raedwald say he didn't want them to go? Or, if you don't want to, I could go ahead and write a post and put it up after Nogrod's save that we did start riding off.

What do you think?

-- Folwren
Old 03-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #562
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Argh... every time I can get on with enough time to make a long and fairly thought-out post, it interfers with someone else's save and I can't get it in... (sigh) I'd post now, but it'd interfer with Nogrod's save now, as I don't know what Sythric's post'll turn out as... sigh.

And I really don't know how much time I'll have tommorow to post either.

Anyway. Explaining my absense over the last couple days, my character was suddenly thrust into exceedingly-active-or-risk-a-lot-of-other-people in another RPG briefly. Sent out on a mission, and a WAR breaks out around me. It was pretty much "stay online for 5 hours and post a ton or else you'll get left behind and killed oh, darn, it's 2 in the morning" sort for a while. I was intending on posting here last night, but for that reason... yup.

But now it's calmed down a bit because I'm posting with someone who only posts once a day.

Anyway, though, I should be home most of tommorow and Thursday, so I'll get a post in sometime then. I'm away Friday, no clue about Saturday... yeah.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:35 AM   #563
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Meghan doesn't give a fig for what Rædwald thinks she should do.

She's sent him back intentionally so she can ride ahead with Athwen. And besides, she's eager to see that Osmod and Fion really are alright. She knows that if Sythric and Rædy get together, there could be a long drawn out conference on what to do.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 03-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #564
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eowyn Skywalker
Argh... every time I can get on with enough time to make a long and fairly thought-out post, it interfers with someone else's save and I can't get it in... (sigh) I'd post now, but it'd interfer with Nogrod's save now, as I don't know what Sythric's post'll turn out as... sigh.
Go on and post it. I would have written mine this evening (GMT = about 10-12 hours time), so it's not even written yet... I can see your post then and continue from there at some appropriate time.

Pio can correct it's place, if it seems to fit ill in the order of the posts.

I withdrew my save.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:40 AM   #565
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undómë
Meghan doesn't give a fig for what Rædwald thinks she should do.

She's sent him back intentionally so she can ride ahead with Athwen. And besides, she's eager to see that Osmod and Fion really are alright. She knows that if Sythric and Rædy get together, there could be a long drawn out conference on what to do.
Oh, she doesn't? Alrighty, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I withdrew my save.
I'll put up a post as things appear to be favorable in that direction and we'll start on our way, whether Raedwald wants it or not, eh?

-- Folwren
Old 03-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #566
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, as we are having more people posting with each other, I thought we should be more careful with at least two things.

First: at least Farael seems to make Osmod's outspoken lines in italics - and I have a feeling, that at least most of the others use italics only when there is inward thinking going on - using the "parentheses" while speaking openly to others. It just the same for me, which are the stylistic conventions we adopt, but it would be clearer, if we all sticked to the same principles.

Secondly: might be due to aforementioned uncertainty also - might be because of some other reasons - but I hope we should be careful enough in writing our posts as not to make our players into "mind-readers". So if a character just thinks about something by her/himself in a post, that should not be known by any other character...

... and maybe to avoid these unhappy situations, that just happened between me and Eowyn, could we kind of note here on this planning-thread beforehand, that we are up to something - at least if we have been away for a time? I just thought yesterday, that the things were clearly developing at a pace, and E & S were somewhat being left behind also in the narration (as we both had been away), and because there were no mentioning by Eowyn to make things go forward, I reserved a save (so that the post would be at a reasonable place along the storyline). I will really appreciate Eowyn's post and have no specific urge to make that one myself. So I hope he comes back with it. I have been very busy (RL) - and tried to hang in a WW-game simultaneously... Very bad scheduling from me.

But in a way, this story / game has just begun?
(And I guess, most of us have just been practising this thing up to now? At least I have never played this kind of game before... but hopefully have learned something up to now.)

Last edited by Nogrod; 03-29-2006 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Wrong people in the post... ;)
Old 03-29-2006, 03:16 PM   #567
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Hey Nogrod,
It is true that I write dialogs on itallics while most people use them to either stress a couple of words or for the thoughts of the characters. To make a long story short, I like it better that way. It makes it easier for me (at least) to notice when storytelling changes into dialog.

Anyway, given that you are the second person to call me on that, I'll ask the rest of you all.... do you mind if I keep on writing like that, or should I go to a more standard " X " Osmod said?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #568
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Farael I have no problem understanding your posts, They are fine the way they are! I think we all have different styles of writing and that's ok as long as we understand what is being said.

And Nogrod, I don't remember Eonwe being in this game.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #569
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
And Nogrod, I don't remember Eonwe being in this game.
My bad! I've corrected that...
Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #570
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Farael

I think your use of italics is fine - you seem to always use the quotation marks with them anyway.

Since I can't recall - how do you handle if your character is thinking something?

--------------------

Nogrod

Has there been a problem with players using another character's private thoughts? If it does happen, I do hope that if this happens, the writer will ask for an edit by posting on the Discussion Thread and gently reminding the other player that those were a character's 'private thoughts'.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #571
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
= Arry
Farael

I think your use of italics is fine - you seem to always use the quotation marks with them anyway.

Since I can't recall - how do you handle if your character is thinking something?
I don't mind anyone using italics in speech as such, but this latter is the problem... You can't differ your private thoughts from either your open talk or from your overall narrator's voice so easily...

Quote:
= Arry
Nogrod

Has there been a problem with players using another character's private thoughts? If it does happen, I do hope that if this happens, the writer will ask for an edit by posting on the Discussion Thread and gently reminding the other player that those were a character's 'private thoughts'.
I wouldn't call them "problems", but just curious, or just slightly annoying incidents at times. I have taken a couple of longer reads, as I haven't had always time to read the thread day by day - and when reading the thread in concerto for a longer period, like 20 pages of print in a row, those lapses kind of jump on your nose more clearly than in just reading one stuff today, and other tomorrow... I wouldn't like to go on pin-pointing anyone or any actual place (if you think I'm just nagging at nothing, I will come forwards with cases, but I hope I need not to). It's not so big a cause anyways. I was just asking people to be careful with this thing - myself included.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #572
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It is so quiet!

I'm waiting for Eowyn to post, so that we could at last come together. Are you all others doing the same?

I planned today afternoon (now it's night here) a post for Sythric where he wonders how the Wulfhamers might have thought Osmod and Fion as easterlings - remembering his experience of the easterlings... If nothing happens, I'll post that one to some place (after the possible - hopeful) Eowyn's post and before we all really meet - it must be after we hear the news by Raedwald, of course. But as I don't know, where Eowyn's post will leave us, I can't kind of write it yet. I'm counting on Pio in clearing these matters concerning the orders of the posts...

After so long a pause (whoa! a couple of days from me?), I'm just itching to write more...
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #573
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I've just posted (the one I wrote yesterday or so). I imagine that what's going to happen next is, Sythric and ... what's her name? Eowyn's character is going to catch up to Raedwald, and then those three are going to canter after Meghan and Atwen and then all of them together are going to ride onto the Wulfhamer group who have Osmod and Fion. If that's what everyone has in mind, then yes, it appears that we are waiting for Eowyn. Poor woman. Hope you don't feel too bad about making us all wait.

-- Folwren
Old 03-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #574
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I've just posted (the one I wrote yesterday or so). I imagine that what's going to happen next is, Sythric and ... what's her name? Eowyn's character is going to catch up to Raedwald, and then those three are going to canter after Meghan and Atwen and then all of them together are going to ride onto the Wulfhamer group who have Osmod and Fion. If that's what everyone has in mind, then yes, it appears that we are waiting for Eowyn. Poor woman. Hope you don't feel too bad about making us all wait.
Eowyn #562 says it all - and I feel some guilt to have made that save (now deleted) - as I thought that there was nothing going on, and Eowyn had not been the most frequent poster... I was afraid we were dropping from the pace of things rolling on. But I couldn't just have the foresight on this.

But maybe - if he doesn't post today - we should continue, and his post might be put in its place with Pio's help? We could just take it for granted, that Sythric & Eostre would meet Raedwald (with the deer with them) and join Meghan & Athwen... to actually meet the others?

I'll make a conditional save for that one = Sythric & Eostre meeting Raedwald and hearing the news + then Sythric remembering his earlier meetings with easterlings. Then anyone could continue from that, because we would all (Ath, Meg, Raed, Eost, Syth) be just one gang, approaching the Wulfhamers & Os + Fi...

That suits everyone? If not, I can always draw my save off.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #575
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm posting right now. I made coming on BD to stick a post in my utter first priority once I could get online. As I hate moving other people's characters, if you could stick your save after mine, Nogrod, I shouldn't be holding this up anymore...

But I'll take care of seeing what's under the blanket. And stuff. Well... we'll see.

I'm sorry I've not been the most frequent poster... and I've told myself that if I ever get into another BD RPG I won't take for granted that on OTHER RPGs my character won't suddenly be forced to post more than a paragraph every couple days. Argh. From bored wandering to war... gahhhhh... (bashes head on keyboard)

I don't feel TOO bad, as long as people don't rub it in that this is my fault.

EDIT: All right, I've posted. If Sythric's post/save can go after mine, Nogrod, so that you can talk to Raewald and we can meet up with the other two girls, things can carry on. I dragged us past the dead deer and up to meet up with Raewald. I just don't like using other people's characters much.

Last edited by Eowyn Skywalker; 03-30-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:05 AM   #576
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Sorry for Incana's absence....if anyone cared.

I think I have come down with writer's block or a serious brain fart! If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 12:56 AM   #577
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I'll bring the Bregos into the Wulfham camp. I've put a save up.

Naria

I hope you're unblocked soon! Now that we're finally, nearly, almost, together!!!!!

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 03-31-2006, 02:47 AM   #578
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Now that Undómë's save is already there in the thread, I guess it's the simplest solution, that I fill my save to where it is, and then Pio could move it one post downwards eg. after Eowyn's post, but befor Undómë?

Is that alright Pio? (I try to fill the save today = in 12-15 hours from now)

Nice to be getting around with you Wulfhamers!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:05 PM   #579
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

SAVE filled.

I wonder what Incanus and Vaenosa will think when they see their deer brought in by the newcomers.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #580
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks Undome!! I'll be able to work off of your post quite nicely. I'll get mine up sometime today.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #581
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Naria - I've written a post (that I was planning to be a short one but it kind of grew into a lengthy one), but it didn't go much farther along than Undome's post, so it shouldn't bother your writing at all. I certainly hope not.

-- Folwren
Old 03-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #582
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sorry. I won't be able to fill my post yet. It will probably be there in twelve hours. But as the story is already rolling forwards, that should be no problem.

The text is coming...

The next week, I'll have much more time than in these preceding two weeks, so I'll be posting again a bit more.

EDIT: Undómë: I'm afraid, there is something wrong in the beginning of your post for Raedwald. How can Raedwald be lifting the deer from the ground, if he has first ran after Meg, leaving it to S & E to study ("what is it?") and to pick it up? I guess the deer should be already firmly held in either Eostre's or Sythric's package as these three meet. You wrote, on Meghan's post, that while A, M & R were talking, S & E were already approaching them...

Last edited by Nogrod; 03-31-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #583
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Edit done on deer post . . .
Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 PM   #584
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Welcome at last, all you Bregos!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2006, 02:10 AM   #585
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Ouch... Nice that you edited your post Undómë. The only problem is, that you stilll make Raed to pick the deer = we all three would have to go back and S & E should have to be really stupid, not to have taken it with them in the first place when they left it...

I'll PM my version (the post I was just going to send to the thread) to you and let's figure it out together, how we shall deal with this (who does and what and when). Right now I don't have time, but tomorrow maybe.

PS. I'll remove my save for now (it's in a wrong place anyhow), and will be asking for Pio's help later, if needed.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:39 AM   #586
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have re-edited my post.

The deer will not be brought in on Rædwald's horse. I believe it will be on Eostre's horse.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #587
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I've sent my post to Pio to set it between Eowyn's and Undómë's post. I hope Pio will put it in the thread. Then we will have all the doors open to continue...

Please all: If Sythric's remebrances of the easterlings sound bad for you, please call me. I can change the appearance of them if you think that the picture of them is a bad one - I kind of liked that way of portraying the easterlings that way myself.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:49 AM   #588
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nogrod

Post placed

~*~ Pio
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 AM   #589
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Fion -

If there is any problem with my characterization of you, let me know... I hope the chronology works out right here, since I am referring to events before your save as well as what will be in the save itself.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #590
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I've made Sythric to address the group: Brand, Dorran, Leod and Athwen. He mentioned, that he and Raedwald have been in the Rohirrim, in Croacht. The town of Croacht should be well known to everyone - being one of the greatest cities in Wold area. And even if S & R had not been in the Rohirrim proper, being the "riders of Croacht", should be quite an honour anyways...

Eowyn: I addressed Eostre's horse as a he. Please inform me, if that was wrong...
Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #591
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

I have no idea what Eostre's horse is even NAMED, so a he address is fine. Heh.

I liked the description of the Easterlings myself. I thought it fit for what I'd've liked to see from them.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #592
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Alright, save is filled.... sorry guys, going through a bit of a creative slump here, but at least we can move on.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:16 AM   #593
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Aha! Save filled!

Tevildo- That was fine, thank you! It worked out perfectly.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #594
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sorry everyone for my absence. RL situation came up that had to be dealt with

I will get a post up this evening(my time) catching Incana up with the new comers.

Undome and I have come up with a family tree kind of thing and that will be played out in the next couple of days....

Oh yeah, before I forget, Pio or Arry....is there a deadline to get this rpg done or are we allowed to go for as long as it takes to reach our goal?

Last edited by Naria; 04-03-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #595
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Save filled.

Naria - I really would like us to be done with the game by mid-May at the very latest. I have some other obligations starting then.

Counting this week, that gives us approximately 6 weeks to finish.

-- Arry
Old 04-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #596
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arry
I really would like us to be done with the game by mid-May at the very latest. I have some other obligations starting then.

Counting this week, that gives us approximately 6 weeks to finish.
So let's not get our characters to get on to each others nerves just right now, but hit the road first?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #597
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I made another shor post into the thread - and after checking the previous posts, I realized, that at least Sythric is not yet knowledgeable of the situation - and if Raedwald or Eostre are, they must have heard it just in this instant, at the campsite... Even though we are in a hurry of sorts, I thought this little misunderstanding would be good to mention in the thread. And please anyone: Leod, Athwen or Dorran, get Sythric rid of that wrong idea...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #598
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Save filled

Naria

If Incana wants to offer to make oatcakes with Meghan, then perhaps we can begin to untangle our family entanglement . . .
Old 04-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #599
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I will be posting in a short while, sorry it took so long!

Edit: Ok I posted! If anyone wants to they can come down to the river and find me, if they want something to do, if not I will get back to camp shortly.

Last edited by Valier; 04-03-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #600
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
I will be posting in a short while, sorry it took so long!

Edit: Ok I posted! If anyone wants to they can come down to the river and find me, if they want something to do, if not I will get back to camp shortly.
I'm on it =P Post will be up soon