The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2003, 02:13 AM   #81
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
thanks guy who be short. actually i had my revenge the other day when one of those boys asked me out...in front of all his friends...ohhhh, revenge be very sweet [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I agree thatthe English language is losing all its beauty, I mean, look at the beautiful Anglo-Saxon used in the Boewulf then the language that is used in most places today "Yo, S, watup babe" *shudder*
Its enough to make you sick at times.

Another annoying thing is when you come up with something witty and intellectual and no-one understands because you use words with more than 5 letters.
Example: "Ewww, I don't want to sit next to HER, she's such a nerd!!" "The feelings mutual!" "What da heck does dat mean?!!!"

I hesitate to use names *cough* Briar *cough* but this is just too much these girls are upwards of 15 and they don't know what mutual means...Too Much
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 11:28 AM   #82
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Um, yes. About the topic, I think some people don't like LotR because they don't understand. They don't see the point in Fantasy.
"You forget the real life if you spend too much time at that Fantasy nonsense blahblahblah..." (my uncle) But what exactly IS the real life... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 11:43 AM   #83
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, all I can say is people who rave on and on about how stupid and useless LOTR is are silly and ignorant, with nothing else to do than shatter other people's interests. Yep, I've seen many of 'em....

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #84
farstrider

Boots

I think they just don't under stand the simbolism of the books/movies.
they just think it is a weird series about creatures running around with rings fighting each other.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 02:52 PM   #85
[PiPPiN]

The Eye

a lot of people just don't understand it, and don't want to. but seeing how the majority of us here do like it, how bout you ask someone who doesn't? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #86
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think people don't like it cuz they are too absorbed with Harry Potter. But why does anyone not like something? Taste? Opinion? It's confusing how anyone could not like Lord of the Rings. It is incredible!
Old 05-07-2003, 03:54 PM   #87
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The educated people I know who dislike it claim it's because Tolkien is too moralistic. I don't find that his rings true for me, but to each their own. Not everyone has to find inspiration in the same places.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: The X Phial ]
Old 05-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #88
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Question

Tolkien himself may be moralistic, but his works do show morality in "real" ways---Denethor's attempt on Faramir was thwarted, for instance.

I feel quite "alone" when I'm with my friends when it comes to Tolkien (well, we're all lit majors, me and my friends; but the bizarre thing is, I'm the only one who's read LoTR! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] )
--->which brings me to our topic: I kept talking about The Lord of The Rings to my pals so much that they end up not reading. (either that or they procrastiate on the chance to open up a book and to be "found by the adventure," as I recall the trailer saying)

So aside from "them" deciding that the books are absolutely beyond them, maybe it's because we get all excited too much that they don't just get it.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:34 PM   #89
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Some people don't like LOTR because it has to do with magic.Some people who believe in god are offended by the books. Why, probably because of wizards and magic. However I love fantasy so I don't really understand how you can't like it.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:12 PM   #90
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Hey guys,

Here's an actual extract I found on IMDb of the complete idiotic ignorance of the people out there. (it's real, I swear)>

And so- the most over-rated novel in the history of Western culture becomes the most over-rated film in Western culture. I have tried many times to list the specific banalities that make this film so appalling, but have run out of paper/ink on each occasion, so I am limited to some general points:
-the dialogue is laughable
-the acting is dull and stilted
-the computer effects look like, well, computer effects
-the jokes are awful
-even the NAMES are annoying (Bilbo? Frodo? How excruciatingly twee can you get?)
-Tolkien was a self-important, portentous old git
I could go one, but I can't be bothered, in all honesty. Instead, I'm off to watch one of Peter Jackson's 'early, funny' films- back in the good old days when he was still making zero-budget slapstick zombie comedy horrors.

Isn't that just terrible?? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Old 06-15-2003, 12:11 AM   #91
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Why do people dislike LOTR?

Since you have seen evidence that some people are REALLY passionate about insulting LOTR (read the above), you’d see that people have such different opinions!

Like all of you, I can’t believe that people could say such hateful things about LOTR because I’m quite protective over my passions and I get upset if anyone insults them, like when people insult LOTR.

But we have to see their side too. They might love, for instance, Harry Potter and we might not. They’d also get protective if we insulted Harry Potter (which I’m sure we won’t cause we have the maturity and a lot of us like Harry Potter anyway). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I still don’t agree with people raving on the Net about how much they hate Tolkien and LOTR and all the rest.
Personally, I don’t think they’ve even read the books but just judged the story by the movies, which isn’t all that wise.

So I think we should just leave them to their own interest, whatever they may be, and we get on with Tolkien and our interests. The best thing is to ignore them, because all they want is attention.

Sorry ‘bout my rambling on. Did I go a little over the top?

~Tarien

Crickhollow
Old 06-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #92
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

Quote:
i think that "the lord of the rings" is a sort of book that you either really like or really hate. i REALLY like it!!!
I think so too. You like LOTR or you don't.

I don't really know why people don't like it, because it's got a good moral and stuff. "Even the smallest one can make a difference." And "good vs evil, and the good ones wins." I think at least that LOTR is about that but I don't know what other may think. I also feel that people who relly like reading books, like LOTR and other fantasy books. We got to remember that LOTR has around 1000 pages. And of course people who doesn't like to read already, wouldn't want to read 1000 pages just to finish LOTR!

I think that's probably the main thing, but also that it has to do with magic and "not real" things. You know what I mean?

orofâniel [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 07:16 AM   #93
mrslegolastoyou

Sting

people like LOTR because they Hate Harry Potter and people like Harry Potter because they hate LOTR and don't know to save there lives whats good for them (obliviously LOTR is) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2003, 09:52 AM   #94
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

may i disagree with you, mrslegolastoyou.
i like them both( but if i had to choose i'd vote for lotr).

some people doesn't like lotr because at the first sight it's full of strange names, the languange is a bit oldish and it's hard to send yourself into the world of M-E(swords, armour, long distances, NO CARS!!)
it's tough to read but gets more and more interesting when researching some background information.and then you don't even notice some odd words.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:01 PM   #95
Kates Frodo Temp
Wight

Kates Frodo Temp has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I was hesitant to read LotR not because I didn't like it, but because I knew I would. It's so easy to fall in love with; my friends and my sister already had. I have many different interests, and wasn't ready to surrender to just one.

When I was ready, I plunged in. Boy am I glad I did! Right now, my time is divided between reading Tolkien, posting on this site, writing fantasy (NOT fan fiction, which I strongly dislike,) I occasionally actually studying in order to improve my writing skills. Pure bliss!

The moral: Encourage antiLotR people to read Tolkien, don't condemn them. Make THEM think about why they don't like it, and then CONVINCE THEM THEY HAVE TO BE CRAZY NOT TO!!!

Sign my lighter, Meela?
Kates Frodo Temp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 05:05 AM   #96
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
I was hesitant to read LotR not because I didn't like it, but because I knew I would. It's so easy to fall in love with
Certainly and exactly what I felt,Kates Frodo Temp, only I couldn't put it in words.
I agree most fully. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Old 07-13-2003, 09:18 AM   #97
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

To really enjoy the Books, one must be mentally *mature*. Age does not count, however. I, personally, do not understand most of my aquaintances who think it is a stupid fairy tale or who have never even heard of it.

They much rather speak of boybands [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. I weep for their plight [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

One must understand the Books, see deep into them. Only then can they be truly enjoyed and understood. Some people just cannot do that. Oh well, it's their choice...

-Aredhel
Old 07-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #98
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think people don't like LotR because they just can't relate to the book and movie itself. And maybe they just don't understand the deeper and emotional meaning of the story. And some say that it's not nice because of the magic things in it. I always try to explain that it's a fantasy book and that unrealistic and unimaginable characters, settings and events should occur. LotR is not full of magic by the way. They usually mistake culture, abilities and strengths for magical powers. Can they not distinguish the things between these? [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] LotR is the best and they should not file against our opinions, right?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:01 AM   #99
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

Quote:
the real problem is that the world is just dumber and fewwer and fewwer people read books any more for enjoyment like probly all of us on this site. the english language has also gone down the preverbial toilet with the use of ebonics and slang terms that are degrading becoming wide spread.
Quote:
i also think the english language is going down the drain. we abolished, for some reason, the most complex pronoun, and therefore the most compelling (is that the right word?)to intelligent people; the use of thou, thy, thee, thine. all languages have a way of distinguishing whether they are talking to a superior or friend except english. (sorry if this is off topic). english has lost its beauty.
I personally prefer to speak with older language, because it sounds so much nicer to me. I am trying to stop using so much slang, but it's very hard to do because of the number of people who don't care. I have one friend who is doing the same thing, and she is better at it then me, but we are only two teenagers in a world of slang-users.
Did that make any sense to you? It makes more sense in my head. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

I have a friend who says that she is too stupid to understand LotR and that it is too long. Another friend said that she threw the books in the garbage because she hated them. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Quote:
-Tolkien was a self-important, portentous old git
*gasp* BLASPHEMY!!!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:25 AM   #100
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Quote:
*gasp* BLASPHEMY!!!!!!
I agree! I found that on the Internet Movie Database. It's awful.

Crickhollow
Old 07-17-2003, 03:20 AM   #101
Benbo

Sting

my brother hates it simply because i like it! he said "actually its probably quite good, but i hate it cos u always read it!"

He is very childish thinking about it!
Old 07-17-2003, 04:09 AM   #102
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hey, Benbo!

maybe you should introduce your brother to Barrow-downs and maybe that will change his mind. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
......because hating LOTR just because you like to read it is quite harsh.

Crickhollow