The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2003, 12:10 PM   #81
Legolas Greenleaf

Eye

This is my first post and I'm ecstatic to find an educated message board aon all these topics. I noticed womeone said it was incorrect to search for hidden meanings in Tolkien adn then quoted that phrase regarding allegory from one of his letters. He went on to say that he felt applicability was amore valid end than allegory so in that sense I think its legitimate to search for the applicability. Inorder to do that we need to uncover many of the "truths" of human nature in middle earth that apply to our world i.e. mercy, justice et al.

Regarding war and death, these cultures, specifically that of the Rohirrim, saw great honor in battle. But it always seems in the context of defense. I mean we can agree that great lengths were gone to by Tolkien to illustrate that even the felling of a tree unnecessarily is immoral. But I still feel that he admired the warrior spirit, not interms of domination, but in protection and freedom.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #82
Legolas Greenleaf

Eye

Sorry for the typo's guys. I'll be more careful from now on.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:33 PM   #83
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You can edit your posts for spelling by clicking on the mallet superimposed on a sheet of paper on the top left of every post you make.

Welcome to the Downs! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You seem like you'll fit right in. Very insightful first post.

I agree with you, and as I have said often, while Professor Tolkien may have disliked allegory, there are nonetheless messages and values that reflect on his own ideals in all of his works, and there are plenty of hidden "meanings" and parallels in his works, which are all open to debate in the Downs. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]