The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2002, 10:48 PM   #1
Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli
Pile O'Bones

Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Which finger for the ring

I know this is an old thread, and a much debated issue, but no one seems to have mentioned the quote i have come across.

Regardless what finger Frodo wore the Ring when it was bitten off by gollum, there is proof that he wore it on his first finger (next to his thumb) of his left hand.

In "A Knife in the Dark", right before the Nazgul attack, this quote is obvious:

"He shut his eyes and struggled for a while; but resistance became unbearable, and at last he slowly drew out the chain, and slipped the Ring on the forefinger of his left hand."

This is on page 257 of my copy of FotR.
The dictionary states "forefinger" as the first finger after the thumb (also called the index finger).

There you have it. It doesn't prove whether Frodo is right or left handed (where he puts the ring is upto personal preference), but it does prove specifically where he had the ring once.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:40 AM   #2
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read somewhere that he had it on his third finger (the middle finger, any way you count it...) when Gollum bit it off.. I think. I'll check it.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:12 AM   #3
The Mirrorball Man
Haunting Spirit

The Mirrorball Man has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Carannillion:
<STRONG>I read somewhere that he had it on his third finger (the middle finger, any way you count it...) when Gollum bit it off.. I think. I'll check it.</STRONG>
The image of Gollum biting Frodo's middle finger off has a certain symbolic meaning that I'd rather not spend too much time thinking about. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]