The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2003, 04:40 AM   #1
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Stupid things

I'm not sure if this is the righ forum, but what is the stupidest thing you've ever read about LOTR, books or films?

I read a film review that said that the scenes with the Ents disrupted the flow and tension of the story and "If Tolkien had been writing for a film, he would have left out the cumbersome third plotline"
That made me want to go and hit the reviewer, and I'm not usually a violent person!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 05:17 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Someone said that Celeborn was much more camp than they expected. He may be right, but I was pretty darn upset.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:26 AM   #3
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

I'm not sure if this is stupid or not, at least, I don't think so. My friend though, she thinks that LOTR isn't Sci-Fi although it says it is every site I've been on(almost).
Old 04-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would think it would fall under the genre of fantasy...but then again, sci-fi and fantasy do tend to get lumped together.

I think that the 50 reasons LotR sucks is stupid!! As many have said, I don't think the people on there bothered to read the book, or even understood what was going on half the time!
Old 04-19-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
The Eye

I don't understand why anyone would think LOTR is sci-fi. When I think of Sci-fi, I think of Star Trek. Sci fi usually takes place in the future (and present) or has aliens. LOTR has neither. In fact Tolkien mentioned somewhere in the books that his tales of Middle Earth took place in the past.

A stupid thing a friend of mine said about the books was "It's boring, and the movies too long." That remark made me wonder how much brain is in his head.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:15 AM   #6
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I think that the 50 reasons LotR sucks is stupid!! As many have said, I don't think the people on there bothered to read the book, or even understood what was going on half the time!
Hmm. I'm pretty sure it's a joke, as the things are a bit too stupid to be taking seriously. If anybody ment that so, he/she probably wouldn't know how to turn on the computer.

On stupid things, I hear loads every day, but I think "dark lordS" is a 'good' one!
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #7
celedwyn

Sting

I constantly get the "too long" response from my aquaintances at school when LOTR is mentioned. The first time I heard it there was a great arguement started by person unknown...now it makes me laugh, these people have no clue what they are missing if they would just get over lenghth
Old 04-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #8
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I do agree with you, Melephelwen. It does seem a little over done to be serious. But it did get a bit under my skin, because there are probably people out there who seriously believe some of those comments.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:41 AM   #9
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

On "50 reasons etc." I read the first of them thinking "What an idiot!" but when the author reached the part with Gandalf's smokeboat, I got really suspicious. When he then talked about Gandalf being a wizard, I was kinda "You just said he wasn't" and made up my mind that it was a joke.
I have no idea why I'm telling you this, but now you know! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 AM   #10
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

That 50 reasons why Lord Of The Rings Sucks is definitely a joke, no doubt. It is so stupid! Anyways the joke about Gimli saying “Toss me” is just not funny anymore. And I also read in a review that putting the Eoywn in was a bad idea because she had no real place in the story line. Yeah right wait until The Return Of The King.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:43 AM   #11
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Won't that reviewer get an awful surprise in the next movie?

Hmmm. I guess she was kind of important after all. Gee, who knew?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Silmaril

Yes they probably will...I cant remember what else was said though but I remember seing that and laughing. So funny....*wipes tear from eye*
Old 04-22-2003, 11:46 AM   #13
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

I hate it when reviewers or whatever say "Lord of the Rings, starring Liv Tyler"
I saw it once and I went absolutely mad.
Also, I know she's famous and all, but does Liv have to be 3rd on the cast list? I mean, she's before Viggo for crying out loud and he's... well, an AWFUL lot more important than her in terms of role.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:44 PM   #14
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I feel your pain Meela, I've even seen a LOTR the Two Towers poster that had the Arwen image twice the size of Merry and Pippin! Which makes me come to a sad conclusion:
Do they really think all those people come to see TTT because Liv Tyler is in it?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:57 AM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Its the ignorant people. Yes, they see it because they know Liv Tyler is in it. *coughBADadvertisingcough* They know of nothing else, and they complain that she was hardly in it at all. Then they kick up a fuss when someone tells them that Elijah Wood is the main star (or one of them now *applauds the wonderful Viggo*)
Old 04-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #16
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Sting

I hate the whole overdone Arwen thing too. The character was portrayed well, but my God, she shouldn't be considered a STAR!!! Also, I read a review that said that Andy Serkis (gollum) wasn't an actor and shouldn't be credited as one. God did that ever **** me off...
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #17
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

omg!!! He is a brilliant actor! How can they say he isn't an actor just because you couldn't see him? Do they think he's a puppeteer or something?? *fumes for a few weeks*
Old 04-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #18
Firondoiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Firondoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Also, I read a review that said that Andy Serkis (gollum) wasn't an actor and shouldn't be credited as one.
Ummm...yeah, okay, sure. That is SOOOO wrong!

I was talking to a friend of mine who hadn't read the books and she said that one of her school teachers told her that Arwen crosses the sea and the "warrior princess" marries Aragorn. And this teacher has supposedly read the books. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"Forth, and fear no darkness. Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
Firondoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:45 AM   #19
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

A friend of mine just kept saying that LoTr was gay and "I hate it" in a the stupid whiny voice of hers! (I'm not usually like this, I only get mad when someone unfairly attacks something dear to me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] .)
Has she read the books? No.
Has she seen the movies? No.
So I continually pressed her about why she was judging unfairly. She replied with, "well it's too complicated to understand and I'm not smart enough."
Which is ridiculous. Bah!

I also despise the '50 reasons why LOTR sucks'. It just makes me want to give the uneducated writer a good kick in the be-hind.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:20 PM   #20
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Andy Serkis, not an actor!? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] I think that he's such a talented person, that if they had anyone else play that role, it wouldn't be the same.
(Tip-toes away plotting against idiotic LOTR haters)
Old 04-25-2003, 04:35 PM   #21
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Mom can't get the title of The Two Towers right. She always calls it "Twin Towers", or even worse, the time she called the cinema to see if "Lord of the Rings Two" was playing. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote