The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2002, 09:15 PM   #1
Ainahithiel of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Ainahithiel of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Ring The Ruins of Hollin

what is the town they pass in the movie and is it in the book. I have heard from several sorces that it is the ruins of Hollin. Can any one clarify what that is??
Old 10-26-2002, 01:19 AM   #2
Scapegoat
Pile O'Bones

Scapegoat has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You need to be more specific about what part of the movie you are describing.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:26 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Are you talking about the place they walk through right before the "Crebain from Dunland!" scene?<P>It could well be.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Yes, it is Hollin. It says so on the map. Here is more info on it from "The Complete Guide to Middle-earth" by Robert Foster:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Eregion: Land in Eriador between the Rivers Glanduin and Bruinen, settled about SA 750 by the Gwaith-i-Mírdain [people-of-the-jewel-smiths i.e. Celebrimbor and his people]. It's chief city was Ost-in-Edhil [city-of-the-Elves]. Eregion was laid waste in 1697 during the War of the Elves and Sauron. Called in Westron, Hollin. The land had many holly trees. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So in actuality the ruins you see in the movie are Ost-in-Edhil.<P>In the book they do not mention seeing the ruins themselves, but they discuss Hollin in a few places. I like this one:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> [Gandalf] "...There is a wholesome air about Hollin. Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there."<P>"That is true," said Legolas. "But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us silvan folk [Noldor], and the trees and the grass do not now remember them. Only I hear the stones lament them; <I>deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone.</I> They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The brackets are mine and the italics are Tolkien's.<p>[ October 26, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]