The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
"Downsing"- What, where, when?

The thread title might be a bit vague, but...

Well, when I came back home after school today, I logged onto the 'Downs and started "Downsing". And then I thought to myself "What is everyone else logged onto the 'Downs doing now?" And then "What do people generally do when on the 'Downs?" So I decided to make this thread.
Basically, the idea is:

-Where do you "Downs" (e.g. Home, school, workplace, nearest place with internet)?

-What sort of time do you "Downs" (morning, after work/school, evening, middle of the night)?

-Do you do anything else while "Downsing" (e.g. listen to music)?

-Any other relevant info.

Last edited by Eönwë; 01-05-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

-Where do you "Downs" ?

Usually at home. Today I am home sick, hence the morning posts...

-What sort of time do you "Downs" ?

Evening. My husband hopes, not into the wee hours of the morning, but once, that was common...

Heavens, and dilute the experience? Ask my family.... No, very little can shake me loose once I start.

When I think of something I'll edit.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
-Where do you "Downs" (e.g. Home, school, workplace, nearest place with internet)?

At home mostly, but also in school when I have a free class in our library.

-What sort of time do you "Downs" (morning, after work/school, evening, middle of the night)?

Well, it's usually in the afternoon starting with when I come back from school and ending with when I go to bed. Sometime in that period, but usually I log in shortly after getting back home and then log in again after some hours so in the evening.

Yes, I often listen to the LotR soundtrack while being here. However, at times I also listen to other stuff. Also, I often also happen to be chatting while being on the Downs or replying on other forums whilst I await a reply to some Downs thread.

Maybe that during vacations Downsing can go till really late into the night, as every vacation my lifestyle becomes truly vampiric (I barely see the sun, really) and so I happen to post at 3 or 4AM CET.

Also, I would add that Downsing, although very nice also has the rather negative side-effect of increasing my procrastination level and often I end up doing homework really late because I kept posting on the Downs earlier.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
-Where do you "Downs"?

Primarily at home, but occasionally at work if there is a slow moment.

Usually in the evening, as I work a day shift job.

At times I will listen to mp3's and whatnot.

Hmm. Only that I have a tendancy to lose track of time when something of particular interest is under discussion.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
-Where do you "Downs"?

Always at home. I'm home schooled and work at home as well...

All times of the day, when I have a break from whatever I'm supposed to be doing. I don't stay for long. I get email notifications for threads I've subscribed to, and I check my email all the time, so I know if there's a quiz thread to tend, for example. The term "Down-blitzing" springs to mind.

I'm often listening to music or news radio while at the computer, but I don't do anything specific whilst "Downsing," no. If I participated in more "lore" and roleplaying I would spend much more time here and have Down-rituals, but I can't spare the time, I really can't.

Downsing is fun late at night on the weekend when everybody has gone to bed. I can read lore and learn (till I fall asleep).
Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

Where do you "Downs"?
Mostly at home (and at my dad's place), but also at school. I've lately had lots of free hours in the middle of the day and then I often just go to the school library, take a computer and amuse myself by downsing.

What sort of time do you "Downs"?
All the time. But seriously, that's almost true. Well, I'm not mad enough to wake up earlier to go to the 'down before I go to school, but discounting that, I may be downsing whenever.

Do you do anything else while "Downsing"?
A lot of stuff. Maybe it tells a lot that whenever I'm doing something on the computer I probably have 'Downs open. So I downs while doing something else too - talking to people (often 'Downers) on MSN messenger, hanging around in LiveJournal or Facebook, checking my e-mails, reading news or just absent-mindedly surfing, or very often even while doing all kinds of schoolwork. (It's a nice refreshment there.) Also, I very often listen to music too (like right now, I'm listening to Dido's new album Safe Trip Home which I got for Christmas) and sometimes (read: "when I'm having an all too interesting discussion with someone online and my mum is not at home" ) I even eat while I'm downsing.

Any other relevant info.
I love seeing others 'downsing almost as much as I love doing it myself, so I often stalk the "who's online" page and it always delights me to see a green light instead of blue in people's posts. (And this is why I dislike it when people are on the invisible mode. )
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Tolkien I suppose I should...

-Where do you "Downs"?
At home. Yes, mainly at home. There have a been a few occasions when I've Downsed at school (due to WW- what else?), but other than that, I'm not a regular school-Downser.

-What sort of time do you "Downs"?
Usually in the evening and into the night (up to, lets say, 10pm, but really more like 11). Sometimes the late afternoon, but more commonly later into the night, especially when there's a Werewolf game I'm in.

In the holidays, there's no regular pattern and I could be Downsing at any time of day (or night!). Yup, it seems I should post here. I do.

-Do you do anything else while "Downsing"?
Generally no. Sometimes I listen to music, usually connected to LOTR, or songs mentioned on this forum.
Lately, I have taken up a habit (like Lommy) of having the Downs on in the background while doing other things computer.

Staying up late on the Downs in the holidays is part of a healthy, balanced diet. I remember when I adjusted my sleeping pattern in the summer so that I woke up at around midday, and went to sleep late. Not just so that I could play Werewolf, but it helped!

Also, I would not recommend trying to play Werewolf while talking to one of your non-Downer friends on Messenger. Highly confusing!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
Silmaril

Cottage and work. Pretty much both. Considering "work" is at the school library and we sit behind the desk for hours with a need to entertain ourselves.

Whenever I can. I have Downs late into the night and early morning and during the day. It all depends on how much sleep I want/need. Really though, I should not stay up as late as I do.

I do listen to music. I also have a horrible case of Internet ADD. I can be writing a post here, get distracted by writing a post on Livejournal or surfing bumperstickers on Facebook or by writing an email to a friend. Literally it has taken me three hours to write a one paragraph email one time because I was switching between here, AIM, Facebook, and Livejournal. Its a horrible malidy that needs to be studied.

Um...not that I can think of?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post
Whenever I can. I have Downs late into the night and early morning and during the day. It all depends on how much sleep I want/need. Really though, I should not stay up as late as I do.
Join the the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariren Shadow View Post

I do listen to music. I also have a horrible case of Internet ADD. I can be writing a post here, get distracted by writing a post on Livejournal or surfing bumperstickers on Facebook or by writing an email to a friend. Literally it has taken me three hours to write a one paragraph email one time because I was switching between here, AIM, Facebook, and Livejournal. Its a horrible malidy that needs to be studied.
I couldn't have said my experiences better myself (other than the fact that I don't have an LJ acccount and use MSN rather than AIM).
It seems that quite a few Downers share this.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
It seems that quite a few Downers share this.
I only have one friend on LJ that isn't a BDer... no wait, she is too...

Where do you "Downs" (e.g. Home, school, workplace, nearest place with internet)?
Mostly from home. From the moment I can get on the computer, I'm on. The Barrow-Downs is always the first place I go. During the school year, I will go to the school library and Downs.

Between 3.00 pm and 9.00 pm. That's when our computer lets me on. Often times I will go on my mum's. Any time I possibly can, I try to get on in the morning, because it's evening in Europe, and that's when the most Downers seem to be online.

I usually have the Beatles playing in the background. Why? I don't know, because I like them. If I don't have my Beatles albums with me I will often have the radio playing some sort of 60's pop. Or my LotR soundtracks. If the music is not on before I get on, then it doesn't go on.

I usually have a couple of tabs open, Barrow-Downs, LiveJournal, Facebook, UK Tea Council, Hotmail. In that order.

I always will visit the mirth forum first. If there are new posts on the Newspaper Thread I will go there first. I will also look at a thread that has posts from Hookbill, Lalwende, Eönwë, Laurinque, and Lommy first. Though, Lauri doesn't post much, so I don't go looking for her posts.
When I have checked all of my subscribed threads, I will go to Facebook and see if there are any Downers online, if there are, I will comment on something they've done, hoping for a comment back. The Barrow-Downs is the main reason I have a Facebook.
I aslo always type faster when Downsing. I mcan rattle out a 200 word post in four minutes, yet I can write a fifty word comment on Facebook in five minutes.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #967

Mostly at home, but I believe I've "Downsed" at a couple of coffee shops when I was either testing out new free(ish) wi-fi or my router went down. To be even more detailed, I started out Downsing on a desktop computer, but now exclusively Downs on my notebook computer.

Any time I'm awake and on the computer for pure fun, which happens less often than you might think.

I also have a bad case of internet ADD (iADD as it were.) I could be on Facebook, my two main email accounts, chatting on YIM with roleplay friends, and reading fanfiction. I listen to a internet radio station based in Ohio, except on Mondays and Fridays (because they play more....screamy stuff I'm not that into) when I listen to anything from Jimi Hendrix, to soft pop, to Flamenco music on Pandora.

I tend to haunt a thread a long time before I post to it. Posting after a 'cold read' is a rarity, but it does happen on days like today.

Downs culture has been an interest to me for several years now. It's probably why I haunt the Mirth and BarrowDowns forums more than anything else.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Ello

Mostly, in fact almost exclusively, at home, but occasionally at work if its very late, and nobody else is in

Evening, always, apart from weekends if its raining, as usual.

Currently I have re-runs of 'Mock the Week' on Channel Dave

It sort of comes and goes, Downsing for me, but I always like to check what's occurring and love to see the 'Old Guard' and new talent posting
Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEW
I always will visit the mirth forum first. If there are new posts on the Newspaper Thread I will go there first. I will also look at a thread that has posts from Hookbill, Lalwende, Eönwë, Laurinque, and Lommy first.
Ooh now I feel truly flattered!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
-Where do you "Downs"?
Generally at home, but occasionally at the school library (when there aren't too many people watching what I'm doing, since we're not allowed to go on "non-educational websites" )

-What sort of time do you "Downs"?
Usually I have some 10 or so minutes to spare before school, and I usually spend them on the BD. Then I also try to visit after I come home from school.

-Do you do anything else while "Downsing"?
Weirdly enough, I often check my email at the same time - while one window is loading, I'm on the other. But majority of the time is spent on the Downs. :-)

-Any other relevant info
I have a weird habbit of going first to Quizzes, then to Quotes, Mirth, Books, N&N, and finally Movies. I don't know why this particular order, but it just got into a habit.
Also, when I'm bored, I randomly browse the forums, sometimes going to the last page and reviving threads that weren't touched for 10 years...
Or, like right now, I'm supposed to be writing an essay and not spending half the time here!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 01-15-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Galadriel55 is online now   Reply With Quote