The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Scary BD Problem

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone else had the same thing but this evening (Tuesday 1st Feb) the Barrowdowns seemed to be totally offline. I got a link to a webpage that said 'please email the site administrators' and thought I'd wait a bit and see if it all turned out OK, which thankfully it has.

Keeping fingers crossed that it was a one-in-million sort of thing!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It wasn't only you by any means, Rumil. It's been quite a long time since I've seen the site go down that way. Glad things appear to be all right now.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Definitely not just you Rumil. Everyone involved in this round of WW went and messaged Rikae via facebook to ask for an extention on the day because of the problems.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It was a site problem, so everyone experienced the same handicaps. The server was upgraded at short notice, which is why no announcement could be made in advance. Everything should be working now - should you experience further problems, please post here and we'll check them out. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oh, Esty, in case you haven't heard, some of the Finns have still be having trouble.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hopefully that trouble won't last too long!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420! Hallelujah, i Downs entúliër!

Wow, that was pretty scary. For the last 24 hours, every attempt to access the forum landed me on some Default Website Page, which may or may not have been the same one Rumil mentions. Finally I thought of googling "barrowdowns forum", clicked on the first thread link that came up, and voilà! My old bookmark still didn't work, I had to set a new one, but now all is well again. Phew! Made me realize what a nasty hole the Downs would leave in my life if they ever went down for good one dark day... thank Eru and the Valar (read: BWH & Admins) that Dagor Dagorath still seems to be comfortably far off!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Made me realize what a nasty hole the Downs would leave in my life if they ever went down for good one dark day
My feelings exactly!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
Oh, Esty, in case you haven't heard, some of the Finns have still be having trouble.
...we are? It's all fine here.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Great to hear that all is well,

C heers Esty, all the mods and the BW!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

They say you don't know how much you need something before you lose it. Luckily, we haven't lost the BD, but the feeling came rather close. I'm still a bit of a newcomer here - my corpse has been rotting in the ground for only...4 months, I think - but I got rather attached to this place. Thank you BW and mods!!!

*breathes sigh of relief*
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
For a time, I was afraid it was going to be something like the major blackout of 2008 (for those of you who weren't dead yet, the forum was down for something like a week)... Good that everything is working again.