The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #361
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Grima Wormtongue-5 Morgoth-4
I will have to question that result. Or is this not a democratic board where each member's vote carries the same weight?

Nerwen, Morthoron, Durelin, Ibrin and yours truly voted for Morgoth. See, there's five of us! Has Grima payed off the judges or what?
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #362
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oh, dear. Canine/lupine breath or dragon breath (or Worm breath, in Grima's case). Don't care for either, so I'm bowing out of the voting. Have fun, all.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #363
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Skip Spence is quite correct. I missed his
vote because it was at the end of his post
(not seperate before or after the body of the post).
That means that my posted results were incorrect,
since Morgoth wins on a tiebreaker.

Results shoul;d have been
Morgoth
-5 Grima Wormtongue-5 .

So corrected final four are:
Carcharoth vs. Smaug
Glaurung vs. Morgoth

Sorry, everyone. especially Grima fans
like Legate for the error.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #364
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Sorry, everyone. especially Grima fans
like Legate for the error.
Gosh. In that case, Morgoth is already dead.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #365
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Gosh. In that case, Morgoth is already dead.
Bwahaha *evil laugh*

This is just the kind of victory old Morgy will relish.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #366
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Bwahaha *evil laugh*

This is just the kind of victory old Morgy will relish.
But Gríma almost won in such an admirably traitor-ish way.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #367
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Grima earned his victory just looking at the way it did almost happen... it's his character that won! Now this is ME Bad Popularity Cup! Do you really think something as fair as "rules" should apply here? I'm very disappointed with the final decision and hope the evil powers will twist the ending for real (like the Downs getting down just as a less known baddie is in the lead and then we can protest if someonwe wants the obvious and foreseen winner to have more time to be voted for or something).

So Morgoth seems to win... how lame indeed.

I thought people would have had some sense of sportsmanship here.

Okay. I need to wait to see which one could beat Morgoth in the final! Speak up people! Let's form a conspiracy against Morgoth and gather our banners behind the one we would be happier to see meeting Morgoth; forgetting our differences between the great werewolf and the keeper of the lonely mountain! Our enenmies just love to see us split in our ranks.

I'd go for Carcaroth but I'll be ready to vote for Smaug if it would get the better hand in the final...

And for sure I will vote for Glaurung in the next semifinal...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #368
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Very well done, Nogrod! I suggest we forge several Rings and make all the voters wear it, while we are going to secretly forge one more to rule them all. (And I will of course forge another for myself to rule that one.)

I think Smaug, if anybody, deserves victory over Morgoth and he is far likely to gather support than the wolf, I'd presume. To vote Glaurung is without question, even though I might like Melkor more in some ways, but he just does not deserve to win. That'd be truly too dull outcome of all this voting.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #369
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
I might like Melkor more in some ways, but he just does not deserve to win. That'd be truly too dull outcome of all this voting.
Exactly!

It's time for meta-reasoning up here! So take your time.

I'm ready to vote for Smaug if it's the one you would think that would be able to challenge Melkor. And let's join forces to beat Morgoth on the next round already. That would be our safest option...

And Legate & the subject of the rings... you just try your magic but don't be too confident with it... there may be forces stronger than that - and we need to count that in as well! Jut look what happened to Sauron with his obsession with Rings...
Old 03-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #370
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
It's a shame Sharky isn't here...

++Carky

Because I don't want the final to be between two dragons - boring.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #371
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So Morgoth seems to win... how lame indeed.
Welcome to the world of politics.

Actually, my "favorite" baddie wasn't even in the running to begin with. Where was Gollum?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #372
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
That's a case in point! But still I think getting rid of Morgoth is our task number one right now... and I'm not so sure Glaurung will beat Melkor even if we try to rally people to see the reason behind the badness here.

So where are your affinities Rikae on the next round? Are you trying to lure people into not-voting dragons to pave way for voting Melkor? Or will you stand by Carcaroth to the end?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #373
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Welcome to the world of politics.

Exactly...

But happily this doesn't affect our daily income, prospects or general possibilities as politics do.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #374
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
That's a case in point! But still I think getting rid of Morgoth is our task number one right now... and I'm not so sure Glaurung will beat Melkor even if we try to rally people to see the reason behind the badness here.

So where are your affinities Rikae on the next round? Are you trying to lure people into not-voting dragons to pave way for voting Melkor? Or will you stand by Carcaroth to the end?
Trying to convince people not to vote for a known wolf? Cobbler!

I'm not sure which way I would go in the case of a Carcaroth vs. Glaurung final, but I share your commitment to knocking Morgoth out of the running.

I mean, sure, he's kinda cool, but if you think about it, his original claim to evilness amounts to singing off-key. I can't help but think of him as a teenage boy who annoys his father with his death metal garage band.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #375
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The vote so far (I Hope)
Smaug-3 Carcharoth-2

Hey, my first year in college I failed a math course.

I then switched majors to History.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #376
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

+ + Smaug

Because he's no Morgoth acolyte
and could take him out on sarcasm alone.

Vote so far
Smaug-4 Carcharoth-2
Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #377
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Smaug

for being considerably more interesting and a more likely candidate to beat Morgoth.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #378
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I can lend a hand.
Oh dear. I do hope we can find a better use for your pretty little hands.

++Smaug

And yeah, hail Morgoth, Giver of Freedom and Lord of All!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #379
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Vote to date
Smaug-6 Carcharoth-2
Old 03-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #380
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Exactly!

It's time for meta-reasoning up here! So take your time.

I'm ready to vote for Smaug if it's the one you would think that would be able to challenge Melkor. And let's join forces to beat Morgoth on the next round already. That would be our safest option...
Obviously. However, you see, it could not have resorted to this had people not voted so carelessly the "cliché" guys like Morgoth or Sauron in the earlier rounds already... it's the same as in the previous popularity cup, where you end up with Gandalf and Frodo, or what was it... come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Yes, I thought about that as well - but you (all people) should have thought about that in the earlier rounds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
Actually, my "favorite" baddie wasn't even in the running to begin with. Where was Gollum?
Well, for example I don't consider Gollum a baddie... certainly not of the same sort as the Dragons, the Nazgul, Sauron... you name it. (Although there were some even in this contest, true... like the Master of Lake-Town... but with him, still, he is somewhat "plain negative" in some aspects, he is more of a baddie than Gollum, who is just too... complex to be classified as mere baddie.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
And yeah, hail Morgoth, Giver of Freedom and Lord of All!
I say we bury him also with you, since you are so good friends...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #381
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel
I did consider Smeagol, but especially book Gollum
is really more tragic then irredemably evil. One of the
ways PJ messed up was (and he and Andy Serkis actually
bragged about this) making Smeagol's almost turning away from
thralldom to the Ring be always idisingenuous in their version of
ROTK. Still, Gollum with the Precious would have
been a formidable candidate.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #382
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

A short off-topic rant, if you don't mind

This might seem petty but I have to note
This Tuor fellow's lines are oddly short
at first I thought there might be something more;
but scanning them revealed uneven feet.
While posting in blank verse can be quite fun
such arbitrary breaks can disconcert
and interrupt the flow and reading ease.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #383
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Smaug-6 Carcharoth-2

Next: Glaurung vs. Morgoth
Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #384
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Morgoth

I have to go for the creator over the created.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #385
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

+ + Glaurung
Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #386
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

++ Morgoth

Still gotta go for the guy, since Gollum wasn't considered bad enough to compete. Orcs and dragons were bred to be bad. For me, it's worse when someone has a choice to do otherwise, but still chooses bad.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #387
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
This time I'll vote

++Glaurung

I still want to see a dragon vs dragon battle in the final!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #388
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Glaurung

I have more respect for him because his default tactic wasn't to cower and hide.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #389
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Although I've championed Morgoth I still got to vote for

++Glaurung

who's the baddest dragon ever.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #390
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, Morgoth destroyed the lamps and chased the Valar to Valinor, which is pretty cool, but after the Valar came back and gave him a proper beating, he either uses stealth or doesn't come out of his hole voluntarily at all.

Glaurung fought in several major battles of Beleriand and did all the dirty work that Morgoth should have done himself.

As a matter of fact, Glaurung also didn't get shot off the sky the one and only time he goes into action within the story.

++Glaurung
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #391
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
++Morgoth

Who needs Glaurung when you have Smaug?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #392
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

++ Glaurung

A self-evident choice.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #393
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's something about Glaurung which is just much more bad to the bone than there is in Morgoth, probably because he nixes Turin and his lady friends. But then Morgoth's deeds are darker and more sinister - hints of nastier things than we are used to in Tolkien...and of course it's Morgoth who creates (or at least enlists and thus empowers) all these weird and wonderful dark creatures like Dragons.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #394
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

++ Glaurung

Voice of Saruman, Eyes of Glaurung... pretty close.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #395
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

I was going to vote for Glaurung, but:

++ Morgoth

Because discordant music is actually pretty cool, and because he seems to be the underdog all of a sudden.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #396
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There's no way I'm not going to vote for...

++Glaurung
Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #397
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morgoth-4 Glaurung-8

Grima's Revenge! ?

Time for the all-dragon final

Smaug the Magnificent vs. Glaurung the Deceiver

At least two days to vote. Which should be time aplenty for
Gandalf the "good" popularity person winner to
scuttle back to Aman in terror from either worm.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #398
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
++Smaug

Something about Glaurung's personality just seems... Oh, I don't know... slimy? Seriously- setting up a Greek tragedy with Turin and his sister? What else does he do for sport- pick the wings off of flies?

Not to mention the fact that Glaurung, for all of his supposed cleverness, isn't very bright. He crafts this rather Bond-esque plan which leaves Turin alive so he can, umm, delight in Turin's suffering(?). Leaving Turin alive in turn leads, ultimately, to Glaurung's own death. If you think about it, Glaurung's plan belongs on failblog.org: "Epic Evil Plan Fail", or something.

Smaug would have just incinerated Turin and moved on to the next opponent.

Last edited by Andsigil; 03-11-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Andsigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #399
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Drat, missed the vote...not that it would have made a jot of difference (a bit like a real UK election then ).

Is Smaug really more clever than Glaurung? After all, he manages to let slip to a teensy Hobbit where his vulnerable part is. Would Glaurung have done that?

I really, really do not like the idea of a wyrm on wyrm fight though. You cannot have enough dragons...
Old 03-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #400
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm....I withhold judgement at the present time in order to consider the choices further.