The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #41
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Personally, this forum is kind of like an online course for me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Each hard topic is like an assignment, with the works of Tolkien as textbooks and posts as what our research yields. Also, it's a wonderful place to set down your opinions on the subject. The seasoned members and mods (as well as the occasional 'newbie') are somewhat like professors, or at least mediators to guide our discussions. Thanks guys! Again, being here is such an incentive for me to dive deeper into the Tolkien, so it is like a school for me. But better. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 06-27-2003, 10:28 AM   #42
elle
Animated Skeleton

elle has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elle Send a message via MSN to elle
Silmaril

That would be really neat to have online courses. So many more people would know the greatness of Tolkien, and so many more would learn Tolkien's languages, and maybe in the future there could be different countries for Tolkien lovers, and the languages could become offical, that would be so cool!!! Maybe the countries would be named after Tolkien places, like The Shire and Rivendell.

~*Stop Deforestation, Start Reforestation*~
~*Save our Future, Save a Tree*~
elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #43
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm kinda partial to Elvish Quilting...

No, I think The Forging of Weapons would be a great course, along with teaching people how to use them. An internet course in forging weapons, on second thought, that would probably be a very bad idea.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:15 PM   #44
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I must agree, with these lessons that all of you sre proposing..what an excallent idea i'd definetely attend all those classes. They should really teach Middle-Earth languages in College or university for the simple fact that they are now starting to hold courses that teach people how to talk like a rap singer! that is sheer foolishness and a total waste of time. At least there is intelligence in Tolkien's work to look forward to in our lives! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2003, 06:41 AM   #45
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
A little bit more work needed on revision for your Tolkienology exams
That sounds really Hogwarts-ish! I wonder what Harry would get in that exam?

I don't see why there isn't a Tolkien degree! You can do units in Oprah (I've heard) and David Beckham I think? Surely Tolkien is more acdemic than them!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:05 AM   #46
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

Quote:
Death to Peter Jackson (TCin 621)
An introduction to thrashing the work of Peter Jackson, with special emphasis placed on his recent cinematic interpretation. Students will learn methods of not only tearing apart Peter Jackson’s movies, but also effective techniques of personally attacking him, his friends, and family. Prerequisites: Introduction to Tolkienologist Arrogance (Tphil 609), The Right Way to Envision Middle Earth (TDep 501).
Oooh, I like this class! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Just joking. Too bad it's not real... I'm trying to find a veterinary school to go to for college, but if this was real I'd totally change my mind! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #47
skyrunner
Newly Deceased

skyrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Its not official or anything but i made a university of tolkien studies at www.universityoftolkienology.webs.com

Last edited by skyrunner; 10-15-2012 at 12:53 AM.
skyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #48
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Just to mention it: The DTG (Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft) gives out each year during their Tolkien Seminar (a 2 1/2 day conference on varrying topics related to Tolkien) an 'Ehrendoktor' (honorary doctor). It is feign to be from the DUMB (Dwarvish University of the Blue Mountains). I have no list of all the people that hold that 'degree' but most likely they all will be long standing active members of the DTG. So that might be the way to the Tolkien degree you would like to have.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #49
skyrunner
Newly Deceased

skyrunner has just left Hobbiton.
Mistake

I made a mistake with the uni url but i changed it so now it is the right page
skyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote