Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #601
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Many thanks everyone. As hospitals and operations go, this isn't a toughie, but we'll both be glad when it's over.

It sounds as if we're pretty much ready to push on once Folwren gets her save filled. So let the mayhem begin!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #602
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What is going on at camp at this point? Is everyone hidden? Are there some people on the other side of the tunnel? Where are the fighters? What will Athwen and the slavers be able to see as they gallop towards it?

I will fill my save probably tomorrow morning, decently early (that is, about 9:00 my time. . .3:00 p.m. GMT...?)

-- Folwren
Old 11-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #603
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Never mind. Save filled. Tell me if I did alright. And I think the mayhem may begin.

-- Foley
Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #604
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Folwren and Durelin, I have put up a save for Carl, in which to make mention of a small portion of the tunnel having to be filled in. I wasn't sure if we were going that route or not in order to have Athwen's horse jump safely.

Let me know if it would be unnecessary and/or objectionable.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #605
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That's fine with me, Hilde.

How long is the tunnel, approximately, does anyone have an idea?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:01 AM   #606
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
I've brought the slavers up near the edge of camp. I'll be going back now to post for my orcs so anyone is free to use them in their fighting scenes.

- Regin
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #607
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde
Folwren and Durelin, I have put up a save for Carl, in which to make mention of a small portion of the tunnel having to be filled in. I wasn't sure if we were going that route or not in order to have Athwen's horse jump safely.
Ah yes, that sounds good. And that gives me a new idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
How long is the tunnel, approximately, does anyone have an idea?
Hmm...good question! Perhaps about 10 meters? I don't quite know. I'm terrible with spatial reasoning. I don't want it to be unbelievable that it was dug in a pretty short amount of time, but I also want it to be believably long, so that it might do some real damage to the slavers.

Really, the tunnel's purpose is only to slow down and take out a few (and there are only about 25...my imagination keeps making the group larger), so I think 10 meters or even a little less will serve enough of a purpose, as long as the slavers are led right over it (which is the plan, of course).
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM   #608
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Carl's save has been filled.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #609
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Good post, Hilde. However, I realize now that it's very unlikely that Athwen will be able to see the cut blanket or the situation, due to the bad visuality of wind and sand.

I still need to figure out just how this mad dash is going to end. Later today I plan to have a post up.

-- Folwren
Old 11-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #610
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Folwren, just let me know if Carl should leave something else, as well. His vest maybe?
Old 11-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #611
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I don't know. The only possible way for Athwen to see it is if the cloth is brightly colored, but even then, the chances are slim that she'll be able to spot it. She will probably be riding with her head half down and her eyes half shut to keep the blowing wind and sand out of her face and eyes. Also, with all this sand blowing about, a piece of cloth might be covered up with sand.

By the way - are we saying that they did tell Athwen about the broken tunnel and this safe place of crossing?

And is there not only a tunnel but also a trench that the horses have to get over?

I am very sorry that I didn't write anything yesterday. Stuff came up. And today, I can make no promises. Unexpected complications popped up in my sister-in-laws birth-giving, so I'm slightly distracted with worry and excitement both. If I can't write a post, I'll at least put up a save.

-- Folwren
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #612
Child of the 7th Age

Hi, everyone. I'm more or less here though still busier than usual. Everything went fine with husband (Yay!) though it's taking a while to get all his energy back. I was also happy to see that our plot is going forward.

Ironically, Houston had a windstorm earlier this week with gusts up to 50 m.p.h. With electric and cable wires down, my computer was out for a day. A coincidence, right? I'm just glad we didn't write an earthquake or volcano into the story!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #613
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A volcano in Houston... Yes, good thing!

Folwren - I hope your sister-in-law and her child will be alright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
The only possible way for Athwen to see it is if the cloth is brightly colored, but even then, the chances are slim that she'll be able to spot it.
I think we might have to go with the "willing suspension of disbelief" thing, and say that this is Middle-earth, and this is the Fellowship of the Fourth Age...they're a lucky bunch. And by that I don't mean pretend it's not a slim chance - actually acknowledge that it is a slim chance...but have it work out anyway. Unfortunately, that's my best suggestion.

Except... Someone might volunteer to lead her to the safe spot/help point it out to her? Of course there are major risks for that person...but there are always heros of that nature.

I know the trench was an idea, but I don't think it actually "happened" in anyone's post. It's probably quite reasonable to assume that they would have to go with one or the other, without the time to do both. Am I at all under the right impression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
The trench was no more than fifteen feet long.
Here you mention trench, but before that you were talking about the tunnel, so I supposed you might still be referring to the tunnel? Also, I said something about 10 meters, and obviously completely neglected your measurement. Fifteen feet poses difficulties, as you point out in your post, but it's probably much more likely that was all they could manage in time.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #614
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I think we might have to go with the "willing suspension of disbelief" thing, and say that this is Middle-earth, and this is the Fellowship of the Fourth Age...they're a lucky bunch. And by that I don't mean pretend it's not a slim chance - actually acknowledge that it is a slim chance...but have it work out anyway. Unfortunately, that's my best suggestion.

Except... Someone might volunteer to lead her to the safe spot/help point it out to her? Of course there are major risks for that person...but there are always heros of that nature.
O-oh... Leave it to me. I'll figure out Athwen's survival. Child said she liked surprises. I'll do my best to make it believable and maybe put in a suspension of disbelief. Maybe.

In my save, I am not going quite that far. I am simply having Athwen go forward into view. After that, another couple posts can be made if needed. I was thinking the slavers would want to have a chance to write about changing course slightly. Perhaps the people in camp being alerted by the oncoming horsemen and woman......

Can't wait.

-- Folwren
Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #615
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Don't have much time to catch up on the discussion here, but wanted to say that yes, the trench has been mentioned in post #246.

~ Hope that all goes well with your sister-in-law, Folwren.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #616
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry, Hilde! I thought I read about it somewhere, but when I went back to look I couldn't find it...and yet I looked at that post! I don't know how I missed that.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #617
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

No problem, Durelin. And Folwren, perhaps luck might be a factor. Couldn't it be possible that Athwen could be forced to jump the trench and just happen to jump in the right spot?

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 11-18-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #618
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

I've set up the Player/Character List (Post 5) for quick referencing of characters bios.

And this mostly because of my own laziness in not wanting to scroll about the first pages of the Discussion Thread for the character descriptions.

~*~ Pio
Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #619
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by piosenniel
And this mostly because of my own laziness in not wanting to scroll about the first pages of the Discussion Thread for the character descriptions.
lol! Is it not more difficult to make links than to scroll down? *chuckle* You're laziness is a very interesting laziness.

Thanks, all, for your kind words about my sister. I'm hoping and praying all goes well, too, I can assure you.

Now, I'm about to set to writing my post to fill that save...Maybe, Hilde, maybe she'll jump the trench in the right place. And, yes, the horse will jump the trench. It will make the fall in the tunnel twice as nasty because the horses will only be recovering from jumping something else...poor animals. We'll probably have some broken legs.

-- Folwren
Old 11-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #620
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwre
lol! Is it not more difficult to make links than to scroll down? *chuckle* You're laziness is a very interesting laziness.

.....but I only have to make a single concerted effort to place the links!

And I've made lists of links so many times I can do it in my sleep.....

~*~ Pio

*crossing fingers as a ward against ill luck for your sister-in-law and her wee one
Old 11-18-2006, 05:09 PM   #621
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
But wouldn't Dorran do this? If it really was my spouse, I would be out there waving a flag like crazy. Should I put up a save for this, or maybe later on? Or should Athwen just rely on blind luck?

p.s. I hope your sister in law and baby are alright.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #622
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
Here you mention trench, but before that you were talking about the tunnel, so I supposed you might still be referring to the tunnel? Also, I said something about 10 meters, and obviously completely neglected your measurement. Fifteen feet poses difficulties, as you point out in your post, but it's probably much more likely that was all they could manage in time.
Durelin,

I think I was tired of using the word tunnel and substituted "trench" instead, though the words have different meanings. In any case, I can edit my post to 10 meters if that makes it easier. Let me know.

Folwren --

First, I hope your sister and her baby do well.

Secondly, in regard to this.....

Quote:
After that, another couple posts can be made if needed. I was thinking the slavers would want to have a chance to write about changing course slightly. Perhaps the people in camp being alerted by the oncoming horsemen and woman......
I think you are right. I've put up a save for Imak and the slavers, since Regin says he's gone back with the orcs.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #623
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
I think I was tired of using the word tunnel and substituted "trench" instead, though the words have different meanings. In any case, I can edit my post to 10 meters if that makes it easier. Let me know.
I hate using the same words over and over (though I fear I do it quite often anyway), so I completely understand. As for the length...fifteen feet is good enough. Being just enough to add confusion and hopefully take out a few (at least horses), but not seeming impossible for them to get done in time at all. Perhaps we should compromise a little and say that the fifteen feet is not including the part Carl filled in? Just so it sounds a little 'better.' (Though of course that doesn't require any editing to your post or anything.)

Also, sorry I haven't yet got my save filled in...I am still not completely certain about what precisely I'm doing, but it has to go in (right) before the slavers really get there. (And it won't affect anyone else's characters or the proceedings of the battle.)

And thank you very much, Pio! Your laziness is salvation for my own laziness.

Last edited by Durelin; 11-18-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #624
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright. First of all. . .thank you all so much for your kind wishes, thoughts, and prayers (if you spared us any). I'm now an aunt to a little boy who's probably adorably cute. He was born (without a C-section, thank God!) at 8:05. The umbelicle cord was wrapped three times around his neck, but it doesn't appear that any damage was done and he seems to be alright (last we heard). If I weren't so excited, I wouldn't go to all the trouble of bothering you with details, but I think you can imagine my excitement....

Okay. I think things'll clear themselves up as we simply write the story. Tevildo, have Dorran come out, if you wish. I'll write what's needed when my turn comes again.

I think there could be both a trench and a tunnel. That would make it exciting.

And I think that's all. I'm going to bed. Goodnight!

-- Aunt Folwren
Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #625
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Folwren, I'm so glad everything worked out.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #626
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thumbs up

Ah! Many congratulations Auntie Folwren! So glad to hear that all is well, and hope that you have a chance to see the little one soon, whether in person or via photos.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #627
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Congratulations, Folwren! I'm glad everything's alright!

And...my save's filled, finally. I hope it's believable. I guess I just decided that Vrór is a little obsessive compulsive...
Old 11-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #628
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Good to hear that Folwren. Birth is a miracle everytime it happens but especially in these situations. Congrats to the fresh auntie. You're next, then?

And apology to all but I have been werewolfing a bit too much lately to top my RL frenzy. But from now on I think it's getting easier on both fronts (and I need a break from that addictive game anyhow).

So I have been looking at the thread and have a few questions.

So is it alright if Beloan is with the "foot-soldiers"? Should Khamir be there too (where else could he be?) and how about Adnan?

How many of them there should be? If there are approximately 50-50 balance of men and women, about, and there would be more women in "safety" and some among the archers/slingers, so there probably wouldn't be any in the footsoldiers? (Anyone wishing to cast her character in there?) So if there are something like 10+ footsoldiers (men), like 11-12 or something, I would think it reasonable. We need to have men in the "cavalry" and among the ranged-attack team too and there should be at most 25-30 males in the whole company (not counting the Fellowship).

How about the order of things happening (about)? Athwen rushing towards the trap is first and has begun. Then as Athwen reaches the trap and tries to evade, the first riders fall into the trap. Enter the ranged attack (it must be after the trap is sprung for otherwise the slavers might lift off their pursuit of Athwen and actually attack the shooters not falling to the trap in the first place). As the ranged attack starts the foot soldiers charge to hit the fallen riders. After that the archers should pick those not in the thick of the fight around the trap as not to hit their fellows. But to help the footsoldiers then, enter the little "cavalry" of ours...

Does that sound reasonable as a vague overall plan of affairs? As we all know, anything might happen, but as a general battle-plan?

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-20-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #629
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, my! Oh my! I just figured it out! Or maybe I figured it out. Would certainly add something interesting.

Up till now, I really hadn't figured out just how Athwen was going to escape the tunnel and trench. I had never thought that stopping was an option. But I realize that it is. If Athwen stops, but the slavers know that in just a few yards ahead the slaves probably are hiding somewhere, then only one or two men will stop to get Athwen while the others plunge ahead.

Athwen will end up being caught, I'm afraid (well, not afraid, really, because it could be some exciting writing). Dorran may go into conniptions, but we'll manage, I think.

What I am seeing in my mind is Athwen charging full tilt ahead, the slavers close on her heels. She comes to the trench. She either realizes that she's not in the write place and can't see where the safe place to jump is so she simply stops OR her horse balks at the gap and stops. The slavers come swarming up. One or two stop to take possesion of Athwen, the others leap the trench and meet the tunnel. Perhaps a couple, as Nogrod suggested, swerve off and miss it altogether because they see some of the slaves.

What becomes of Athwen at this point, I'm not sure. They want to take her prisoner? So, they tie her up and put her back on her horse to wait for their further orders......but I think before they could manage to get her tied, Dorran would have arrived. I don't know.

What do you all think?

-- Folwren
Old 11-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #630
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Nogrod - Khamir, Adnan, and Beloan are all going to be with the footsoldiers. Someone is leading a small group of archers, though I'm not sure who. If it doesn't show up elsewhere, I'll mention it in my next post for Khamir.

Edit 1: I think your order of things happening is perfect, except I'm not certain about when the riders should attack...and of course, when they should and when they do are two different things.

Folwren - Oooh, I like that! Though another prisoner situation is pretty insane. I imagine her actual capture will be brief? She will be 'rescued' during the battle. I do wonder how they would work a 'hostage' situation during the fight...I think one or two slavers stopping to grab her works well, and then those two would simply hold her a little away from things. I think that seems feasible. And then the rescue will likely be from Dorran. Oh, how fun. That makes Athwen even cooler.

Edit 2: And back to the order of events...if Athwen gets captured, if the "calvary" are supposed to wait, Dorran might just jump the gun.

Last edited by Durelin; 11-20-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #631
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled.

OK....you didn't think Imak was going to make this easy for you by having all his men head straight for the trench. He's done this too many times.

With the superiority of horsepower, he feels comfortable splitting his forces. Admittedly he may have miscalculated in the sense that he didn't realize there would be a small but real counter cavalry charge. This splitting of the attackers makes it both harder and easier for the good guys, since there is less of a concentrated assault but they are going to have to scramble in different directions.

Five of Imak's men are riding north and west. They are going around the back of camp and looking for the women and children who are hidden. You can see what their orders are if they find them.

That leaves about 10 men who are safe and intact and are riding south right behind Imak, planning on approaching the camp from that angle. Another 10 of his men have disobeyed and/or not heard his orders, and they are heading straight for Athwen and the trench disaster. These young men would be very happy to take Athwen prisoner, though I suspect a few of them will be taken out by the trench. Still it only takes one or two to throw her over their saddle and start racing off with their prize!

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-20-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #632
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Folwren - Oooh, I like that! Though another prisoner situation is pretty insane. I imagine her actual capture will be brief? She will be 'rescued' during the battle.
Yes, right. I was not intending to have her succesfully dragged off like Kwell and Azhar were and being held prisoner. That would be very, very, very bad for her.

And, Child, good for you, not making them all falling for the trap. I'll go read your post and then possibly write my own.

EDIT: Child - one thing only in your post. Athwen has blond hair, not dark. Sorry. It is long, but she's got the regular, light rohanian coloring to her...

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 11-20-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #633
Child of the 7th Age

Thanks, I will edit. I should have checked the profile, but I am trying to play catch up from last week and am doing things by the seat of my pants.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #634
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

If you'll humor me a minute, I've a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I'd like to use Lindir with the archers. He has a fair amount of experience on his resume ( )---several thousand years of fighting with the Noldor, including most of the major battles of the First Age.
Does this still hold true, Child?

And Folwren, where would Kwell be during the attack?

And one final one. Is the wind storm going full blast now? I haven't had a chance to read the post for Imlak, so forgive me if its already mentioned there. Should make for very, very close range shooting in order to be effective, I would think.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #635
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde,

Yes, you're right. The archers will likely have to get in very close range or their shots would go totally off course. I had sort of envisioned archers darting out from cover and virtually running up to the mounted slavers in order to get in a shot.

Isn't Carl with the archers too? If so, maybe we can coordinate something.

Aiwendil, by the way, has gone back to try and help guard the women, children, and elders who are hiding in the boulders behind the camp. Anyone is welcome to join him.....
Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #636
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hilde,

I really don't know myself where Kwell is. The last post I did with him left him helping Vror with the tunnel, but he's quite through with that by now, I'm sure.

Where do you need him? That's where he'll be. No, really. Tell me where you need him and I'll consider. Pretty much any place will work. He has a dagger that Lindir gave him and knows how to shoot a bow, though he doesn't own one himself.

-- Folwren
Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 AM   #637
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm not sure if this is the best time to post for Shae, but I'm leaving for Virgina on Wednesday, and I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have. I'll be back Sunday, but even then I won't have much time due to a heavy load of schoolwork which I'm afraid will only grow heavier through the first half of December (ugh). I will be sure to fill in the save sometime tomorrow before I leave.

A question: Aside, from Athwen, Dorran, and Shae, who else is on horseback? I know there's not a lot of us, but surely there is another rider I can mention in my next post.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:53 AM   #638
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I have mentioned a young man in my last post,who will be riding Carl's pony. An escapee who must have worked with horses on the plantation, I should think.

Child, yes Carl will be with the archers.

And Folwren, I will PM you around lunch time with a bit of an idea, if that is alright. Have to get to work just now.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 11-21-2006 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:27 AM   #639
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
OK....you didn't think Imak was going to make this easy for you by having all his men head straight for the trench. He's done this too many times.
Sure. But that has to be our inintial plan (I mean the ex-slaves plan). We'll see then what happens. But this requires that everyone reads the posts to come very carefully so that we can keep up something like a plausible scenario here...

Durelin: What would Adnan think about the situation? I was thinking that the "leaders" would wish to put him into the second row as he's young and inexperienced. Would he be happy about it or wish to be in the front? I could mention something between Hadith and Adnan on that matter, but then I should need to know his basic attitude... (Hadith will be called to the first row)
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #640
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
And Folwren, I will PM you around lunch time with a bit of an idea, if that is alright. Have to get to work just now.
Oh, yes, by all means. Go ahead. I usually pop in and out three or four times a day and see if anything new is happening.

-- Folwren