The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2002, 09:20 AM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Did you trust Gollum/Smeagol?

After THE TAMING OF SMEAGOL did you trust Gollum or were you on Sam's side. I have to say that I thought Gollum had changed.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
Fenrir
Wight

Fenrir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I felt sorry for him but didn't trust him. The only time I've ever come close to disliking Sam was in the pass of Cirith Ungol, I thought Gollum might repent and warn Frodo about Shelob for a while. Rather naive of me, I suppose.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gollum - purely evil. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Nothing redeeming about that vile creature at all. I never felt the least bit sorry for him. He was a baddie before the Ring showed up and after... well, it was all downhill from there.

-réd the merciful [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2002, 05:21 PM   #4
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ha Ha. Merciful. That's very funny. Well acually now that I think about it I still like Gollum. He's one of those charicters you love to hate. Dose anyone agree or do you just think I'm crazy?
Old 01-01-2002, 05:51 PM   #5
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

I love Gollum! He was so sweet! I think he has a good heart, and the Ring made him do it! Poor, pathetic little guy. He needed a hug.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 05:59 PM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

:falls over laughing: Sorry. You are right though. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2002, 08:43 PM   #7
Lance

The Eye

Never trust anything that eats raw fish!!
Old 01-02-2002, 02:39 AM   #8
Evil Anya
Animated Skeleton

Evil Anya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Evil Anya
Sting

I don't think i ever trusted monsieur smeagol, i did pity him though and when Gandalf said that he felt that Gollum had a part to play I knew that in the end Smeagol would be a key part of the destruction of the ring and he was. The poor slimy little fool.
Evil Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 06:18 AM   #9
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was too far gone to be trusted [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:51 AM   #10
silme-ranaa
Animated Skeleton

silme-ranaa has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to silme-ranaa
Sting

i pitied him but to trust him is suicide.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. unknown
silme-ranaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 11:22 AM   #11
Ulmo
Haunting Spirit

Ulmo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I never trusted Gollum!
Lord of the seas and one of the greatest of the Valar; in the dark days of the First Age, he kept watch on Elves and Men while the others of his order remained in Valinor. He is famed for bringing Tuor to Gondolin, and so ultimately bringing about the downfall of Morgoth in the War of Wrath.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 03:29 AM   #12
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I did not trust Gollum, his first and foremost concern was getting back the ring.
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:34 AM   #13
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wanted to but didn't.... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
my heart went out to the little guy, but I think if you tried to give him a hug he would have throttled you...
Old 01-04-2002, 02:41 PM   #14
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I myself never trusted Gollum, I always believed he would play a big part in the destruction of the ring. I thought it would be a little different then the "Finger Food" incident. But all in all it was a great scene. Gollum to me is the guy "I love to hate". A creature that always keeps you on your toes. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2002, 08:24 AM   #15
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

I did sort of trust him.. at least I hoped that he would be trustable.. and after all, remember that scene in the book where Gollum looks at Frodo and suddenly looks like an old, old man (hobbit), and then Sam comes in and shoos him off.. then I acctually got mad at Sam.. if he hadn't acted like that, maybe the whole thing had ended differently. Maybe Frodo would have destroyed the Ring anyway, and Gollum would have been free from it's enchantment.. but that is, of course, only my opinion, and it is a HUGE maybe..
Old 01-11-2002, 11:51 PM   #16
Nazgûl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgûl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center><font color="red">I did not trust him...
But i pitied him and I wished that there was some way in which he could escape the terrible power the ring had over him and be free.
And although Sam was right, he could have been a little less harsh. No matter how deep it was, i feel that deep down Smeagol really did want to help.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:13 PM   #17
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I also felt sympathy for Gollum, Sympathy but not trust. He may have had some good in him at one point but the One Ring Corrupted whatever that was. I am on Sam’s side
Old 01-17-2002, 03:20 AM   #18
SlinkerStinker
Pile O'Bones

SlinkerStinker has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Gollum is one of the most fasinating characters in fictional literature, but to say the ring made him do it, is being a bit too easy on him. Remember he murdered his "friend" who had found the ring, before he had ever touched it or given under it's power.

While he appeared to be trying to help Frodo, I personally think he was just looking to get another "birthday present". Friends don't let friend hang with Smeagol.

BTW- I'm new here, nice to meet you all [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
SlinkerStinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:54 AM   #19
Bad Fairy
Pile O'Bones

Bad Fairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

From my point of view Ive been a Gollum fan since the Hobbit and have always found him a fascinating character. He is cetainly twisted by ownership of the ring but I did, for a while, think that whilst leading Frodo & Sam (' nice hobbitses' ) he may have changed. However It became clear to me that this may not be the case as they got nearer to Mordor and his vanishing acts became more and more frequent !! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
For ALL face now the Burning Times."
- L. A. Hussey
Bad Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 05:36 AM   #20
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree there were times when he wavered...as when he appeared an old hobbit worn down by time and softly touched Frodo's hand, but Sam woke and spoke harshly to him...it's true to life that your pure and heartfelt gestures can be misinterpreted and lead you to be resentful
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:18 PM   #21
Dûrkriswen
Pile O'Bones

Dûrkriswen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I felt sorry for him, and I trusted him, but I never completely trusted him. I allways felt that sooner or later the Ring would get the better of him and he would try to steal the Ring back from Frodo. I never thought he would go as far as to try to get Frodo killed though.. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Poor guy, sometimes I try to imagine him BEFORE he got the ring.
Dûrkriswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 12:19 AM   #22
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

I didn't trust Gollum at all, though I geuss I would have to say I did feel just a bit sorry for him, just a bit though....
Old 01-19-2002, 11:00 AM   #23
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just for discution sake, let's say Gollum did change and he didn't do the betrayal thing. And than somehow they were able to destroy the ring without any sacrifices. What do you think it would have been like bringing Gollum home with them.You know "Hey everyone, check out our new friend!" What do you think?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:14 AM   #24
SlinkerStinker
Pile O'Bones

SlinkerStinker has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Corect me if I am wrong, but Frodo couldn't destroy the ring, but for Gollums greed for it that allowed it to be destoryed. If Smeagol didn't betray them, I doubt that the ring would have been destroyed, and maybe, just maybe, Elrond would have to get off his *** and destoy it himself since he had at this point witnessed two individuals who lacked the willpower to destroy it. JEEZ!!!!
SlinkerStinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 04:58 AM   #25
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

I feel sorry for Gollum but I don't trust him. At the moment I don't know if he does anything bad, coz they're still at the main gate to Mordor, but I'm not trusting him at all.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:34 PM   #26
Arwen daughter of Elrond

The Eye

I dunno. I trusted Smeagol but i didn't trust Gollum. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] it sorta gets confusing
Old 01-28-2002, 11:52 PM   #27
Aldaron
Haunting Spirit

Aldaron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very interesting discussion. It only goes to show what an intelligent writer Tolkien was. Some of us trusted Gollum and others were always suspicious. A writer has to work hard to create that sort of situation. Gollum seemed for so long to be helping Frodo and Sam but always in the back of his mind was the endgame, so to speak.
Aldaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 11:58 PM   #28
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Ring

I have to addmit also that I thought that Smeagol had taken over most of the Gollum side. Or as Sam would say "Sliker" got the best of "Stinker". I also felt sorry for Gollum/Smeagol and I hoped that Smeagol would beable to become more human (or what ever he was)!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 05:17 AM   #29
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

I almost trusted Smeagol for a time. I was really hoping he'd find redemption. I even got mad at Sam for chasing him off, but the minute Gollum started getting prickly with Sam again, I knew he hadn't changed at all. Poor guy, he reminds me of me and of mankind in general quite a bit. But I did forgive him in the end; Middle-earth would have ceased to be as it was if it weren't for poor, corrupted Gollum/Smeagol.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:12 PM   #30
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm not saying anything bad agaist Tolkien. It's just on Smeagol's behaf that I realized that from the beganing it says in the book the after Smeagol got the ring he was really bad. But Tolkien never talks about before Smeagol got the ring. He might have been a really nice guy, just like the rest of our favorite charicters.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:27 PM   #31
Armadoin
Haunting Spirit

Armadoin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Armadoin Send a message via AIM to Armadoin
Silmaril

Absolutely not would I have ever trusted Gollum. The way he kept going back and forth to Smeagol and Gollum; just freaked me out the door. Besides, it was clear to me he was completely evil [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] because otherwise he wouldn't have been drawn to Mordor and then found and captured. I don't think I even felt pity for him, even though Gandalf said not to pass out judgment like that...
"I must not fear.Fear is the mind killer. fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Armadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:03 PM   #32
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

nope
Old 10-01-2002, 03:11 PM   #33
The Gollum

Ring

Poor us. So many did not trust us. Well, did you actually think that we would help the nasty hobbit that stole our precious? Well, not really stole it, but inherited it from the nasty baggins who did steal it! WE HATES HIM FOREVER!!!!

But he is a nice master! We wants to help!

NO WE DOESN'T!!! I am Gollum and you are merely smeagle, therefore i am better and what i say goes.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:11 PM   #34
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I trusted you Gollum! *gives The Gollum a hug*
Old 10-01-2002, 04:53 PM   #35
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I didn't trust Gollum for some time. But right before they entered Cirth Ungol, I have to admit that I began to trust him a bit.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:02 PM   #36
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, I did not trust Gollum. The book gave so many hints that he was not good, it is kinda hard to think that he is good.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:09 PM   #37
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never really trusted Gollum but I trusted Frodo. He trusted Gandolf. With out Gollum Frodo never would have tossed the ring.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #38
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I will admit that I never trusted Gollum, even when he was "good". I knew something was up all along. I was on Sam's side all the way. I actually didn't expect to see him again after Shelob's Lair... surprise, surprise.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:41 AM   #39
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Gollum wasn't to be trusted, though without it would have been in vain. I t would have been in vain already at the Morannon, for either Sam nor Frodo knew of the other way.

Even the Wise can not see all ends. If Gollum was to be trusted and didn't take the Ring from Frodo... well, I don't know what would happen. Maybe Samwise the Strong would sacrifice himself in some way. I guess it would be less hard for him than leaving Frodo in Cirith Ungol.

greetings,
lathspell

P.S.: After all Gollum is to poor a name for the creature, he is the one that (accidently) unmade the Ring... he is therefore Lord Smeagol
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:34 AM   #40
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Well, Sam has always been a pretty good judge of character. And I never really trusted Gollum anyway. The ring was too powerful for him to handle. It changed him too much.

So, I would have to say I go with Sam on this one. Gollum just isn't trustable to me.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote