The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2004, 07:52 AM   #41
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Pseudo-Sam!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
I like the Pseudo-Sam idea.
Much as I admire the qualities of Sam, The Saucepan Man is no "Pseudo-Sam". He fights as himself, or not at all ...

Mind you, I could always come along as Mögul Bildür. [insert evil smilie]

Actually, assuming that this goes ahead, I don't see any problem with people using their (non-Middle-earth related) screen names and personas, provided that they act in a suitably Middle-earthian manner. It works at the B-D Birthday Parties, after all.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #42
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Actually, assuming that this goes ahead, I don't see any problem with people using their (non-Middle-earth related) screen names and personas, provided that they act in a suitably Middle-earthian manner. It works at the B-D Birthday Parties, after all.
One may of course log on as your normal self (most RPG'ers do, and how else would we know who showed up to fight?) but the item in question is really the character portrayed, or the Persona. Can that Persona be non-Middle-Earth? Can the Persona be non-Tolkien?

Scroll back to the Barrow Wight's first post on this thread. The Wight prefers to keep it Middle-Earth-related. The Downs (in general) is always Tolkien-related. We may discuss Roverandom, or Smith of Wooton Major or Farmer Giles of Ham; but at the borders of Tolkien's works, there must our proud waves stop.

One of the conditions of "this thing going ahead" (not yet a done deal by any means) will obviously be that it begin, and remain throughout absolutely Tolkien related as befits the Downs. So I think I will say nay; if your character is not from Middle-Earth, then the character that you portray must originate from a Tolkien source. This still would provide tremendous leeway, as that would include Farmer Giles of Ham, Smith of Wootton Major, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Beowulf (he translated that too, didn't he? We just don't have a copy yet), The Lost Road, and even The Notion Club Papers. However, since not everyone has read all that, you might be prepared with a bibliography and character bio explaining their origins, if you bring in (for instance) an Oxford professor.

All this is food for thought. I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, because this is a great help in sorting all this stuff out.

EDIT:
Unrelated Footnote: How Fordim's Roaming Gauntlet made its way to the Tolkien Coming Of Age Club , starting at Post 210...

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-08-2004 at 12:04 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:00 PM   #43
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
For some interesting reading along these lines. Look for OF HONOR AND HONORABLE QUARRELS

Although this describes a later time period it seems more fitting than trail by combat! Of course rapiers would probably not be an appropiate choice of weapon.

Perhaps Barrow Downers with non-Tolkien names should create one ME type alternate to battle for them consistantly? That way one might have a good idea whom they would face should they decided to "toss a sock".
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #44
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Hilde, a marvellous resource. Thank you indeed.

A rapier has "two edges and one point"! Goodness, what one learns on lunch break...
Old 11-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #45
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question What's in a name?

Quote:
Can that Persona be non-Middle-Earth? Can the Persona be non-Tolkien?
Hmm, there are many Downers who have screen-names which, while not referable to any specific character or race within Tolkien's works, could nevertheless serve admirably as name within Middle-earth. Fordim Hedgethistle is a good example (although I seem to recall him being a rather affable, if metaphysically confused, Balrog at the last BD party ). Is there any restriction on the type of name to be used? Should it sound Middle-earthian? How precisely would that be defined? And are those members who share a screen-name with a specific Tolkien character obliged to act consistently in the manner of that character if they choose to use their screen-name?

I only raise these questions because it seems to me that, if a particular duel arises as a result of a contre-temps on, say, a Books thread, the protagonists themselves should be entitled to fight it out, rather than sending along alternates (unless, of course they would prefer to do so). It seems to me that, provided that the persona fits within Middle-earth, the name itself should not really matter.

Admittedly, I am in somewhat of a pickle as The Saucepan Man is a specific character in another body of work (albeit one which, like the Hobbit, provides a Faerie world for young readers to enjoy). Then again, my original comment was, at least in part, hypothetical, as I am not a regular RPG'er.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #46
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

"Saucepanedain".

I suppose it could be a required part of throwing the gauntlet-- renaming yourself as necessary. Or maybe adding enough to get you there in disuise that won't fool anybody... Sort of like Aragorn's Litany Of Names.

"I, Xenarwenadriel, Dragon-Tamer, Frodophile, Balrog-Swooner, Wearer of the Mystical Mithril-Rimmed Glasses, Proud Owner of Lorien-Weave Socks, and devoted Defender of metaphysical words beginning with a Capital Letter, do defy thee to defend thy monstrous deceit with soul and body or henceforth be named scoundrel!"

(Ominous sound of Sock floating to the floor.)

Rereading your post, Saucepanedain-- you mentioned being required to stay in name-character if you've got an ME-name. As in, must Legolas fight as the Prince of Mirkwood? Not unless he wants to. He can redefine himself during his challenge as above. "Legolathain, Wheelwright Of Rohan Who Got Stuck with a Funny Name..."

Edit: going back & forth about putting up a first post... Really, it belongs in Gondor, so-- patience.

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-08-2004 at 01:49 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #47
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

But dishonourable duels are so much more fun...*sharpens morning star*

Quote:
Just as the Innkeeper backs away, Fea feels her own ankle sheath (made of the finest Gondorian leather) come loose. She quickly turns to one side, allowing her skirts to billow outward, covering her feet just in time. The blade has fallen to the floor, but Fea has cunningly hidden the mistake... "The Innkeeper will never guess," she thinks, "until it is too late."
Aman's eyes barely flickered as the blade glinted on the floor before being hidden. She smiled slightly as her green eyes glittered dangerously and she reached behind the bar for her more obvious weapon. "Not bad for a beginner, my sugarsweet, but you're off the map now - here there be monsters! Arr-! I mean...ah, darnit, wrong character..."
Old 11-08-2004, 04:52 PM   #48
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
Aman's eyes barely flickered as the blade glinted on the floor before being hidden. She smiled slightly as her green eyes glittered dangerously and she reached behind the bar for her more obvious weapon. "Not bad for a beginner, my sugarsweet, but you're off the map now - here there be monsters! Arr-! I mean...ah, darnit, wrong character..."
Sensing discovery in her opponent's eyes, Fea goes for the obvious solution. Backing up nonchalantly, Fea feigns first sight of the weapon. She screams, claiming no responsibility, and "faints." Falling dramatically, she slips her brutally sharpened Elven Hair Pins from her curls. When will this fatal dance of hidden threats be done? When will Fea simply come out and attack? The world may never know.

I just had a thought... This idea could be the solution to an age old dilemma: The Balrog-Wing Debate! Obviously discussion has accomplished nothing, so perhaps an all out war, winner takes all. Maybe not.

Fea
Old 11-09-2004, 01:38 PM   #49
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Sensing discovery in her opponent's eyes, Fea goes for the obvious solution. Backing up nonchalantly, Fea feigns first sight of the weapon. She screams, claiming no responsibility, and "faints." Falling dramatically, she slips her brutally sharpened Elven Hair Pins from her curls. When will this fatal dance of hidden threats be done? When will Fea simply come out and attack? The world may never know.

I just had a thought... This idea could be the solution to an age old dilemma: The Balrog-Wing Debate! Obviously discussion has accomplished nothing, so perhaps an all out war, winner takes all. Maybe not.

Fea
Correction: just the mere prospect of the balrog-wing debate will cause war

Aman gasps and leaps backwards theatrically. "Elven hair pins? By the finest dark stout of the Shire, what sort of demon fighter is this? Well, with yourself armed with such fiersome weapons and I with the finest damn pint-pulling skills in the Shire, there is only one way to end this-!"

To be continued next whoknows: tune in to the Gauntlet Tavern for the next installment!
Old 11-09-2004, 02:20 PM   #50
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
"Saucepanedain"

Hey, if anyone can come up with the full Elvish translation of "The Saucepan Man", I might be persuaded. After all, it would still be my name ...
Old 11-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #51
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Ah, but I see by your signature that you are also either the eggman or the walrus. How does that translate?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:59 PM   #52
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

The walrus was Paul.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:44 AM   #53
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Could always choose Goo-Goo-G’joob, second cousin to Ghan-Buri-Ghan, as an alternate.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:33 AM   #54
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Roggie's flames flared, and his shadow blended into the environs around him. Those nearby heard a hoarse whisper tinged with panic.

Elven hair pins! Have we then no hope? Is the darkness coming? Darkness inescapable?

I hope to finish up "Gamba's Vengeance" this afternoon or evening sometime. It should wind up quickly. In case it never sees the darkness of the Downs, at the moment it's in RTF, here.

Still the debate continues. BW has expressed some serious concerns, among which are keeping it short, succinct, and Tolkien-focused; maintaining high-writing quality; not straying into dice-battles (expressly verboten) or endless cyclical thrashing; and again, remaining On-Tolkien. All these are good concerns. If this thing does go through, all those concerns will have an effect on the rules.

I continue to hope that a solution can be found for good-quality, brief, enjoyable, satirical side-plots and challenges.

Meanwhile, have an eye on that lady with the elven hair pin, lest all of civilization crumble before our eyes. Alas that it should have come to this!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #55
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

"Elven hair pins! Have we then no hope? Is the darkness coming? Darkness inescapable?"

Aman looked across unfazed at the giant figure of smoke and fire (although with a distinctive lack of wings) and took an unhurried drag at the woodbine between her fingers, before nodding sagely. "Darkness, hopelessness, doom...you name it, we've got it. You want fries wid dat?"
Old 11-11-2004, 09:36 AM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

first post, or last?

Gamba's Vengeance is now complete. The tale may be read in full at the same link given above. (But in the interest of redundancy I'll give it again.)
Old 11-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril The Gauntlet Tavern

Quote:
Aman gasps and leaps backwards theatrically. "Elven hair pins? By the finest dark stout of the Shire, what sort of demon fighter is this? Well, with yourself armed with such fiersome weapons and I with the finest damn pint-pulling skills in the Shire, there is only one way to end this-!"

"Only one way to end this, indeed!" cries Fea from the floor, where she is being tended to by many tall, dark, and handsome admirers. She has been thinking this for quite some time... Brushing away her would-be suitors, Fea rises gracefully. "What sayest thee, Innkeeper?" inquires Fea, as she offers one of her twin hair pins, dull end first, to her opponent. "Wilst thou join me?"

I really do hope The Gauntlet Tavern, as it was so aptly nicknamed, is allowed to become reality...

Fea
Old 11-11-2004, 02:00 PM   #58
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

I’m afraid I'm not going to support construction of The Gauntlet Tavern on the Downs.

To begin with, each RPG already has an Inn where players can practice their writing skills without being confined to the parameters of a specific game. Members are able to come and go and have interesting conversations while in whatever character they happen to be wearing at the moment. The Inns provide a central place for players to interact without obligation, and they have been highly successful since they first opened.

Next, we have never had an off-topic area on the Downs, and this dueling idea would basically be an off-topic arena for people to have random, clever debates about a whole lot of nothing. If an official location for dueling were sanctioned, it would only open the door for future requests for similar off-topic efforts. We’ve avoided them this far, so we’re going to stand our ground and stay within our current guidelines.

Lastly, our RPG system has evolved into a fantastic source of wonderful reading. Our method of strict game moderation and demand for skillful writing has made it one of the best gaming areas on the Internet. Our players are really authors of Middle-earth, and I am proud of every story that has been played in the barrow. With such a standard of excellence of true storytelling, I am unwilling to wander in the direction dueling would take us.

Sincerely,
The Barrow-Wight
Old 11-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #59
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

So be it. Thus speaks the BW, and on these green and grassy downs he's always Wight!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:08 PM   #60
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man

Hey, if anyone can come up with the full Elvish translation of "The Saucepan Man", I might be persuaded. After all, it would still be my name ...
My sindarin is feeble but surely that would be saucepan men? Saucepanadan would be the singular

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #61
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Mithalwen, if your sindarin is feeble then mine's feebler.

I think Saucedan would fly pretty well. But it's moot now.