The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #41
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
In the movie Mortal Kombat
Ouch! Okay, I have a few problems with Jackson's LotR, but there's no need to be insulting with Mortal Kombat comparisons.

Seriously, though, repetition is a useful tool for filmmakers, who work in a medium where you can't flip back a few pages if you get lost or confused. I'm not necessarily citing this hammering of Isildur's history as a flaw (though in fact I think there are places where Jackson overuses voice or flashback cues to MAKE SURE THE AUDIENCE GETS IT, but we'll come to those in time...), just making an observation. I think you're right that he's really drilling it for the sake of the Aragorn storyline down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
We must also remember that Gandalf DID NOT KNOW THE RINGWRAITHS WERE HUNTING FRODO DOWN YET.
This is true, though I think that Jackson adds to the confusion by having Gandalf act as if he expects an enemy to appear at any moment in Bag End.

On a more general note on the timeline, I wonder if a solution -- more in keeping with Tolkien's favoring abridgement over compression -- would be to have Gandalf already suspect that Bilbo's ring is the Ring when he arrives in the Shire for the party. It'd go something like this:
  • Bilbo, with Gandalf's help, gives up the Ring and leaves for Rivendell.
  • Frodo arrives in Bag End and picks up the Ring. Gandalf conducts his fire test right away, Shadows of the Past, etc.
  • Gandalf needs advice from Saruman, he leaves to get it.
  • Time passes -- maybe a few scenes of Frodo in the Shire, only now it doesn't seem so safe anymore. Maybe we even start to see the Ring beginning to weigh on Frodo's mind.
  • Maybe something like that scene at the Green Dragon, only now when Frodo hears talk of "strange folk abroad" and whatnot, he seems more concerned than ever.
  • Gandalf has not returned. Frodo, filled with foreboding, decides he must leave the Shire without waiting for Gandalf (either Gandalf proposed his plan earlier as in the book, or Frodo decides for himself to seek Bilbo and his Elvish friends in Rivendell).
  • Frodo leaves just in time as he hears the Gaffer being questioned by a Nazgûl.
  • Etc...
I'm just spitballing off the top of my head, but I think something along these line would be a little cleaner, and also make Frodo a stronger, more active character.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #42
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill
  • Gandalf has not returned. Frodo, filled with foreboding, decides he must leave the Shire without waiting for Gandalf (either Gandalf proposed his plan earlier as in the book, or Frodo decides for himself to seek Bilbo and his Elvish friends in Rivendell).
  • Frodo leaves just in time as he hears the Gaffer being questioned by a Nazgûl.
  • Etc...
I'm just spitballing off the top of my head, but I think something along these line would be a little cleaner, and also make Frodo a stronger, more active character.
Does Frodo know that Bilbo has gone off to Rivendell? Is that stated previously? And Gandalf points Frodo to Bree, which I think would have been better if he were to point him to Rivendell after going though Bree ("I'll meet you at the Prancing Pony in Bree; if I'm not there, then try to make it onto Rivendell."). He could even have said something about meeting someone along the way who may help, kind of like the elves whom Frodo meets who put out the word that he's out and about.

And by the by, my statement regarding Gandalf smoking in the corner of Bag End was silly. Isn't that the exact way Frodo encounters Strider? The audience, seeing all of the repetition might start thinking that the smoking lobby was underwriting the film ("Good guys smoke in the dark..." or "By their smoke you will know them.").
Old 11-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #43
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

I think Gandalf has a line, something like, "He's gone to stay with the Elves." Anyway, if we're rewriting, it's easy enough to have Frodo know or be told that Bilbo is in Rivendell. The details of the plan can be figured out; the important changes are that we'd remove the Gandalf travel/research bit, Gandalf would have a more reasonable reason for leaving Frodo and the Ring in the Shire, and Frodo would become a more active character.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:53 AM   #44
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I think Gandalf has a line, something like, "He's gone to stay with the Elves." Anyway, if we're rewriting, it's easy enough to have Frodo know or be told that Bilbo is in Rivendell. The details of the plan can be figured out; the important changes are that we'd remove the Gandalf travel/research bit, Gandalf would have a more reasonable reason for leaving Frodo and the Ring in the Shire, and Frodo would become a more active character.
Why?

remove the Gandalf travel/research bit - This happens in the book, so it should stay.

Gandalf would have a more reasonable reason for leaving Frodo and the Ring in the Shire - this is a 3 hour movie, we can't show and extra few moths in the Shire whilst we've built up the tension to a high degree.

and Frodo would become a more active character - Frodo becomes an active character, and indeed it is one of the defining bits in this movie - when he graps the ring as says 'What must I do.' - marvellous line and acting, showing he HAS become active and taken Action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar
Then, moments later, this same character does something that to me is out of character, and the only reason that I can posit for the action is cheap thrill.
Ok, partly I think it is done for the 'thrill' - (but not a cheap one) - We have built the last few scenes building up the tension around this ring being the One Ring - We have to remember it is a movie and not a mini series where we cantake things at a more sedate pace - the movie has to move along - so making Gandalf appear nervous / scared / worried that Frodo stilli has the Ring works for me. It is definately not on the top of my 'Annoyed by the Changes' List! - We have Gandalf in this state of mind to tie in with him sending Frodo off straight away - and this ties in with the Ring wraiths hunting Baggins down - I'm sorry to keep harping on about this, but he's just building the suspense up.

Last edited by Essex; 11-06-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:58 PM   #45
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I actually like the Green Dragon scene. I think its okay. The rest of the movie is pretty serious anyway.
The killing of the the hobbit is completely unnessecary. The first time I saw it in the theatres I really didn't like that part.
It doesn't bother me that the letters take a while to appaer because it gives time for Frodo to say there is nothing there, and then to say there is something there which makes the whole scene more dramatic since Gandalf can show his reaction which I absolutley like. And I still see his fist reaction as relief.
I also like the part where the Shire is shown at sunrise and all is peaceful untill the black Rider steps into the frame. Its like, "oh look at the lovely shire,its so peaceful." (Black rider appears) Never mind" I like all the scenery shots but I think this movie is awesome at always using the scenery to the best advantage.
I was really glad they put the woodelves back in, if only for a cameo.
The time thing doesn't bother me since it would really undermine the point themovie is trying to establish. If the movie said 17 years later...Some people might be wondering why the ring is seen as such a powerful object. When the characters get panicked about it they might be thinking,"So? Nothing happened in 17 years" I guess the point I am trying to get at is that the need for quick action is lost.
I really like this sequence in general. It took me a few times of watching the movie before I figured out that Gollum shouted, "Mordor, Sauron!"
Old 11-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #46
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril Saucepan shows his true colours ... ;)

Hmm, may be I am missing something, but there appears to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth here over what seem to me to be some fairly trivial issues.

Working from memory, none of the issues being discussed here gave me any cause for concern or confusion when I first watched FotR at the cinema. Admittedly, it was some time since I had last read the book at that point, but this sequence of scenes seemed to me to pass pretty much as I recalled from the book. I think that I did notice the attenuated timeline, but it didn't impinge at all upon my enjoyment of the film. Watching it, it all seemed pretty logical to me. I therefore find it difficult to see how any of these issues can comprise real criticisms of the film, in the sense of making it any less understandable or internally credible.

To be a bit more specific:

The timeline is not the same as that of the book. But it works for me. It flows pretty logically and, essentially in film terms, swiftly. I am with those who say that an apparent gap of more than a few months, let alone a few years, would have created unnecessary confusion and destroyed the tension that Jackson carefully builds up in these scenes. To my mind, the attenuated timeline enhances the film as a film.

The Rider beheading the Hobbit is not an issue for me, one way or the other. If anything, it demonstrates the Ringwraiths as a physical, rather than merely a psychological, threat, and is therefore likely to make the need to escape them more real in the minds of most audience members.

I believe Gandalf's visit to Minas Tirith's library to be important, since it enables the audience to understand how Gandalf comes to discover that this is indeed the One Ring. It explains why the appearance of the inscription on the Ring shows Gandalf and Frodo that this is the One Ring. The more observant members of the audience (and those who have read the book) will realise that this would have involved a round trip of some months and so assume that this is how long Gandalf took. The issue will be irrelevant to less observant audience members.

I suppose that it is slightly against Gandalf's character to jump out at Frodo from the darkness. I understand Mister Underhill's point about avoiding the temptation to use a great shot or moment if it undermines other parts of the film. However, given that it did not occur to me as being out of character when I watched the film, I don't see it as a big issue. I should imagine that most people are too busy enjoying the moment of shock that it creates to worry about whether it is the sort of thing that Gandalf would do. It could also be argued, I suppose, that it serves to illustrate Gandalf's worried state of mind, as a result of his discovery that this may be the One Ring. He is so preoccupied with it that he overlooks how his sudden appearance will startle Frodo. Nevertheless, of all the points raised here, this seems to me to be the most valid.

The delay in the words appearing on the Ring is just not an issue for me at all. It is not inconsistent with anything else in the film. When we see Isildur with the Ring, the inscription is already there because the Ring was already hot when he picked it up. When the Ring falls into Mount Doom, the inscription appears after a delay, so that is entirely consistent with what we see here. In these circumstances, I see no reason why Jackson should not play around a little with the audience's expectations and use the moment to show the states of mind of Gandalf and Frodo in their words and expressions.

One point that I think could possibly cause confusion is the fact that it remains unexplained how Gandalf uncovered Gollum's story. However, since this point did not occur to me when I first watched the film, I don't see it as a major issue. We can assume that there was good reason for Gandalf to have this knowledge, without actually knowing the reason.

Finally, I don't think that it will occur to many to wonder why Gandalf considers it more important to visit the head of his Order than to accompany Frodo and Sam. The reason for Gandalf's visit to Saruman is well explained and credible in the circumstances. After all, he does not know that the Ringwraiths are in the Shire. The more likely audience reaction is: "Oh no! Gandalf's going of to see his boss leaving Sam and Frodo alone to face those Black Riders, because he doesn't know that they are so close." Thus, the situation contributes to the rising tension.

OK, so this post may sound like I am Jackson's apologist. In some respects I suppose that I am, largely because of my admiration for his immense achievement. But that does not hold true for the entire film trilogy. There are many changes from book to film that I think are worth challenging because they do create internal inconsistencies or because I think that a different approach could have made the films better. But I see little point in criticising changes for the sake of it, particularly ones which are, on any analysis, minor and which, in my humble opinion, do little to impair the film and, indeed, in some cases actually enhance it.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 11-07-2005 at 08:28 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #47
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
One of the displays I most enjoyed at the LotR Exhibition (which I saw in Houston this summer) was that of the various books, rolls, etc. from the Minas Tirith library. It was amazing to see the details of those documents - written in various scripts and handwritings, different languages, bound or rolled or flat. Some could be read, including Isildur's account, if I remember rightly. Even though the various papers and parchments appeared only briefly, they were made as if they had a genuine historical background. Wonderful!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #48
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Hmm, may be I am missing something, but there appears to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth here over what seem to me to be some fairly trivial issues.
Hey, is this not the Downs equivalent of pedants' corner? I thought some nitpicking (in a constructive, critical sense of course...) would be the order of the day, counteracting our gushing appreciations.

Quote:
I think what Lal is saying (correct me if I'm wrong, Lal), is that the sequence is edited in such a way as to make you think a Nazgûl got to Bag End ahead of Gandalf --
"There's no Bagginses here. They're all up in Hobbiton... that way!"
Songs and beers and table-talk at the inn.
Frodo staggers home -- it's creepy in there -- OMG! Is that black-robed dude there waiting for him?
Ahh! Oh, no, it's just Gandalf. Don't jump out of the shadows like that Gandalf, you nearly gave me a heart attack.
Frodo digs out the Ring.
Gandalf throws it in the fire. It's the Ring. Hoo-boy, it's gonna be good when that black-cloacked dude gets there. Should be any second now...
Wait, they're having tea? What's with all this talking? C'mon, black-cloaked dude, use your spurs or something.
Oh -- there's the wraith, and now he's got a buddy. Sweet! Go ahead and pack, Frodo, you're toast.
Sam, you want some too? Okay, black-cloaked dude attack imminent...
It's morning? Did the black-cloaked dudes decide to stop at a motel and catch some shuteye, or...?
Yes, that's exactly it. It does give the impression that the Ringwraiths are slightly incompetent at hunting down the ring. They've been given Gollum's information which only seems to lack a postcode, and all they have to do is scare a few Hobbits who seem more than willing to give up Frodo's whereabouts. Couple this with the impression already put across that The Shire may well be little more than a village, it seems a bit surprising that the Ringwraiths are in reality quite a long way off Bag End.

I don't mind the tension of the 'Gandalf grab' moment quite so much, but it is the sense of the passage of time which is all wrong to me. Yes, Frodo does only have a narrow escape in the books, but he does know that he has to go for a long while in advance. one of the reasons he is so tardy is that he is 'still in love with the Shire', as Bilbo put it in a previous scene. So Film Frodo is forcibly ejected from his home while Book Frodo is left to his own devices and only just makes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
One of the displays I most enjoyed at the LotR Exhibition (which I saw in Houston this summer) was that of the various books, rolls, etc. from the Minas Tirith library. It was amazing to see the details of those documents - written in various scripts and handwritings, different languages, bound or rolled or flat. Some could be read, including Isildur's account, if I remember rightly. Even though the various papers and parchments appeared only briefly, they were made as if they had a genuine historical background. Wonderful!
That would have been a splendid job, to make props for the film! I would have been an expert in making old documents as I spent many an hour at primary school making 'authentic treasure maps' by taking my newly crayoned map, burning the edges and then soaking the lot in tea to stain it.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #49
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

In amongst all this nitpicking, (well said Mr Saucepan!), I watched the scenes yet again tonight - I was drawn to the encompassing point (the reason maybe) for of all this tension that has been racked up - It's when Frodo says "what must I do" AND HE GRASPS THE RING. HE CLAIMS THE RING THERE AND THEN. This is what all the scenes have been building up to. Frodo claiming the Ring, and the start of the Quest. (I now realise why Jackson had movie Frodo keep the Ring in the Chest - he did not want him to claim it until this point)

You can see Gandalf's reaction after this - He is proud, and grateful that Frodo has finally realised the danger his land is under, and sees that Frodo has taken it on himself.

What must I do - One of the best lines in the movie (and it wasn't even a Tolkien line was it??!!! Sacre Bleu!)

Anyway, what a wonderful piece of work Jackson has done with these scenes to get us to this point.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #50
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
I spent many an hour at primary school making 'authentic treasure maps' by taking my newly crayoned map, burning the edges and then soaking the lot in tea to stain it.
I used the same procedure to gin up many a prop for D&D -- though as an American I of course used coffee instead of tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
there appears to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth here over what seem to me to be some fairly trivial issues
I wouldn't say wailing or gnashing. At most grumbling, muttering, and maybe a little hair-pulling. Let's be reasonable.
Quote:
and Frodo would become a more active character - Frodo becomes an active character, and indeed it is one of the defining bits in this movie - when he graps the ring as says 'What must I do.' - marvellous line and acting, showing he HAS become active and taken Action.
Hey, if it works for you, more power to you. I think overall Jackson/Woods's Frodo is far less active than book Frodo. Though my problems in these early sequences are relatively minor, I think we'll start to see this trend continue and grow fairly soon (Weathertop, anyone?).

P.S. -- I still say this doesn't have to turn into a shouting match between critics and Jackson defenders. Just because there are things I'd change or that don't work for me doesn't mean I don't respect his "immense achievement". We're just talking, just doing some armchair quarterbacking.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #51
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
I wouldn't say wailing or gnashing. At most grumbling, muttering, and maybe a little hair-pulling. Let's be reasonable.
Sorry, should have included a there ...

Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #52
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Quote:
It's when Frodo says "what must I do" AND HE GRASPS THE RING. HE CLAIMS THE RING THERE AND THEN.
Nice point about Frodo claiming -- or at least taking charge of -- the Ring at this point.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 PM   #53
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
I still say this doesn't have to turn into a shouting match between critics and Jackson defenders.
You'll hear no shouting from me, but I will not hesitate to stick my oar in if I feel that criticisms are unjust or where I think that there are reasonable grounds to support decisions that Jackson made. When I do so, my intention is not to shout anyone down or divert the thread into camps of mutually opposed views, but rather to put an alternative view across and encourage people to look at things from a slightly different perspective, and thereby (I hope) provoke creative discussion.

As I said, there are many areas of the films which I consider ripe for discussion and, yes, criticism too. I agree, for example, that the Frodo of the film is a very different character from the Frodo of the book and, in many ways, a weaker one. However, rather than simply saying "Pah! that's not the Frodo I know. Curse Jackson!"*, I would encourage everyone to consider how Jackson develops the character of Frodo, why he chose to portray Frodo in this way, how it works (or doesn't work) in the context of the film, what is gained and lost by this portrayal, how it ties in with Jackson's themes and his development of the other characters etc etc.

My aim is to encourage everyone to consider whether they dislike a particular aspect simply because it is different from the book, and therefore different from their established understanding of the story, or whether there are good reasons why a particular change doesn't work in the context of the film story or does not work as well as the book story. And also to consider why Jackson made particular changes and whether there are reasonable grounds to support his decisions.

Hence my post above, which questions whether some of the points raised really impair the films, whether they would really matter to the majority of the viewers, or whether they just rankle with afficionados of the book because they present the story in a slightly different way.

That said, I acknowledge, Mister U, that the seeds of subsequent difficulties may well be sown in such seemingly trivial matters and I look forward to considering, as the discussion develops, whether choices made by Jackson in these opening scenes inevitably drove him down a road littered with pitfalls.

*Exaggerated for effect - I appreciate that no one here is really saying that.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 PM   #54
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I like the active Mount Doom, even the most dim-witted viewer will figure out something bad is about to happen. It also looks very dramatic. I liked the fact that PJ decided not to show the whole of Minas Tirith so that it was still a surprise by the time ROTK came into theatres.
I never noticed before but when the black riders galop out of the gate you can see some Gondorian remains on the gate in the form of two men, on on each side holding a sword.
I also like the reflection of the elvish letters on Frodo's face.
There are two of my favourite lines in this sequence. One form Gandlaf, "You can learn all there is to know about Hobbits in a month and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you."
and "It is a dangerous bussiness,Frodo going out your door...."
Old 11-08-2005, 04:47 AM   #55
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
.......I acknowledge, Mister U, that the seeds of subsequent difficulties may well be sown in such seemingly trivial matters and I look forward to considering, as the discussion develops, whether choices made by Jackson in these opening scenes inevitably drove him down a road littered with pitfalls.
Yes, totally agree with this point - I'll defend the parts of the movie that have changed that don't relly 'matter' - ie time line of 17 years, frodo leaving at once etc, but I will draw the line at changes that cause difficulties and inconsistencies later on - ie the power of the Ring and Sauron being able to 'see' the wearer when he puts it on (and even inconsistencies around THIS - ie weathertop, where was he then?)
Old 11-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #56
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Surely we've not seen real "wailing and gnashing of teeth" yet, as I was withholding the real deal for the other movies in the trilogy, at which point my rabid frothing may require restraint in the form of multiple sedatives and rope.

An example of a trivial issue that may be important later is the 'Gandalf shoulder-grab cheap thrill.' Initially I wasn't sure why this bothered me, and as the movie moves on I hadn't had the time to think about it for long. However, here in the SbS, I was able to figure out why it bothered me, and deduced it to the 'out-of-characterness' of the Gandalf character as created by PJ. Again, admittedly, a few frames in the ocean, but what we see is that PJ is willing to sacrifice character consistency for a not-full-retail-price thrill.

This is what (to me) the SbS is all about: understanding PJ.

Or, in other words, getting inside his head without the messiness of a hatchet .
Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #57
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Originally posted by Alatar

Quote:
Surely we've not seen real "wailing and gnashing of teeth" yet, as I was withholding the real deal for the other movies in the trilogy, at which point my rabid frothing may require restraint in the form of multiple sedatives and rope.
--------------------
I quite agree. In my view, FOTR is by far the best of the three movies.
I've watched part or all of it more then once, and saw it many times
in the theater, but I couldn't watch TTT and ROTK in movie theaters more
then once or twice. Although the second and third certainly have their
moments, there are also some marked errors in moviemaking (but that's
a ways off).
Old 11-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #58
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Quote:
Wood elves?!? Are we to assume that Frodo knows the difference between Wood elves and Stone elves (and their assorted cousins) by the sound made by their passing? But we get more information about the elves regardless, and Sam's line is fitting, as the world is a sadder place now that the elves have left. By the way, in these processions/caravans, who decides who gets to ride the horses? Is it always a person of higher station, someone frail, the owner of the horse, what? And what happens to the horses when they reach the Grey Havens? Just something that I've always wondered.
Any other thoughts on the Wood Elves in this sequence? I must admit that I've always been far more a fan of hobbits than of Elves, all remote and world-weary and perfect. They're definitely a challenge to portray, and I have pretty mixed feelings about Jackson's take on them.

The soft-focus glowiness sorta throws me, but I think it's the music that really doesn't work for me in this bit. As a piece of soundtrack, it's very nice, even gives me chills as I watch this scene. But at the same time it seems too stylized. I mean, we're supposed to get that the song we hear on the soundtrack -- with all its perfect studio harmonizations -- is being sung by the Elves as they march to the Havens, right? Technically I don't see any violation of Tolkien here, but I can't say I buy these Elves. Again, it's a very small detail, but I think I would have preferred the Elf-song to sound more like it was being sung by real creatures walking through a forest.

We'll have more, and perhaps better, opportunities to discuss Jackson's take on Elvishness later, but I'm still curious about others' reactions.

It's also interesting to note this scene's dislocation from its function in the book: the approach of the Elves at a fortuitous moment causes the Black Rider to withdraw. Maybe it's better to save more in-depth discussion of the plot effects for the upcoming encounter with the Nazgûl, but I think it's worth observing that Tolkien uses the scene with the Wood Elves to serve an important story function, whereas Jackson's seemingly minor rearrangement of events causes the scene to lose its purpose, resulting in its rightful excision from the theatrical cut.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #59
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

I liked how the elves were displayed, with the glowiness and all, yet was just puzzled by the inclusion of the word wood. Why was it added? And if I remember correctly, I don't think that any 'type' of elf is noted later.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #60
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I'm going to backtrack for a moment. First off, I want everyone to know where I'm coming from in relation when the movies came out. The movies brought me to the books. I read LOTR 4 months before the FOTR came out and had only gotten to read it a few times. So I was in the "early stages" of a great love affair, when things are fresh and new and every discovery is cosmic. All my senses were hypersensitive when I sat down in that theater.

Second backtrack, when Bilbo finally lets go of the ring and it lands hard (on the floor and in my gut), that was my "oh, $%#@&*!!" moment. That's when I realized this was serious.

Interestingly enough, it bounced away from Gollum because it abandoned him but stayed when Bilbo released it. I suppose this would be a "ring POV", it must have known the riders where coming to find itself and wanted to stay with someone not powerful, and/or it didn't want to be "claimed" by Gandalf since he was there. Maybe that's why there was this extra show of power when Gandalf tried to pick it up (BTW, scared the shoes off me).

Quote:
It's Gandalf's thoughts when Frodo says he can't see any markings on the Ring. I put it to you that there is DISSAPOINTMENT on his face (not relief as everyone else seemed to think at the time) - The reason behind this is that it was Gandalf's JOB to find the Ring so he could help the people of Middle-earth defeat Suaron. He thought he'd found it, but for that second, alas no.
This actually makes sense to my question of why would Gandalf say the ring "is quite cool" and dumps it into Frodo's hand before fully knowing it's the one ring. Had it been a regular ring it would've burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar
Somewhere the "Rosie knows an idiot when she sees one" line was touted to be just wonderful, but to me it's a joke that isn't really funny.
I don't find those lines funny, but that part does make Sam endearing to me. He knows he isn't the smartest hobbit around, but he is wise enough to know his limits but never use his limits as an excuse not to do things, or shirk in anyway.

The wood elf scene, I could do without. Later it is explained how and why the elves are leaving Middle-earth. Other than to see two doe-eyed handsome men, it could have been cut.

All in all, loved the landscape, interactions between Gandalf-Frodo-Sam very good. Loved how scary Rider was talking, not real important about the head-chop. Fine with the pace of the movie.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #61
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
This actually makes sense to my question of why would Gandalf say the ring "is quite cool" and dumps it into Frodo's hand before fully knowing it's the one ring. Had it been a regular ring it would've burned.
But it wouldn't. It had only been in the fire long enough for the paper to burn and gold has an extremely high melting point, so it probably wouldn't have been hot at all. Barely even warm.

On the wood elves front, I think PJ was likely trying to include bits from the books because it was the EE, and maybe to show Sam's fascination with them for a bit of character development. It was a shame that he put them so out of context, because here the general feel of sadness that it generates just doesn't fit. At the moment Frodo and Sam are a little freaked out that's fair enough, but they haven't even met a Black Rider, they have no idea of what awaits them, or that this trip they're making for Gandalf will end in tragedy.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #62
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin
In my view, FOTR is by far the best of the three movies.
I've watched part or all of it more then once, and saw it many times
in the theater, but I couldn't watch TTT and ROTK in movie theaters more
then once or twice. Although the second and third certainly have their
moments, there are also some marked errors in moviemaking (but that's
a ways off).
Off the top of my head I reckon that most people think FOTR is the 'best' movie of the three, and that it is the most 'faithful' to the books

I put it to you that FOTR is the LEAST faithful to the books inasmuch as it has the most changes to any of the three films. (maybe not the BIGGEST changes, but the MOST changes..)

I suppose this is another thread in itself...............

PS and of course, in my humble opinion, rotk is by far the best film (and book) of the trilogy......
Old 11-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #63
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Tuor of Gondolin and Essex,

We probably should start a poll regarding the 'best' movie of the trilogy, if one doesn't exist already, as such global declarations are not really part of the SbS - not that I don't want to add my opinion . We might state our feelings regarding the particular sequence, but as I think that we all realized before the start of the SbS, simply stating how one feels is more interesting when it is accompanied with why.

As an example, I might assume that Essex prefers RotK over FotR and TTT as RotK has less changes or RotK is more faithful to the source - though really I cannot be sure (again that's not the discussion) and don't want to guess. But at least there's an indication of why. Seeing something in one of the sequences that really makes (or breaks) the film for you would also be interesting to read - the more specific the better. I'd wager that some of you know what breaks RotK for me...Hopefully when I've stated my likes and dislikes in the opening post I've also supplied clear reasons why.

If not, be sure to let me know.

Cheer. - alatar
Old 03-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #64
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

From listening to the audio CDs this morning I learned (relearned) that Gandalf was identified by his familiar knock at the window or door. Contrast this with PJ's 'breaking in and entering' Wizard.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #65
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
From listening to the audio CDs this morning I learned (relearned) that Gandalf was identified by his familiar knock at the window or door. Contrast this with PJ's 'breaking in and entering' Wizard.
I can always count on you to bring up the proper comment.... It was a bit of a bummer when Gandalf knocked just like anyone else and then threatened to blow the door down the hill. I was looking forward to hear a distinct tap-tararap-tap or something. And I really think Gandalf uttering such needless threat is VERY out of character....

I think PJ has this tendency to portray wizzards as strong, all-mighty rather than compassive, thoughtful types.... I guess it sells more, but that's not the "Tolkien" wizzard. We don't see Gandalf using his powers unless it's extremely necessary (in Tolkien's work) yet PJ seems to want to show them as really tough, fire-ball casting wizzards.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #66
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
We don't see Gandalf using his powers unless it's extremely necessary (in Tolkien's work) yet PJ seems to want to show them as really tough, fire-ball casting wizzards.
Unless confronted by Ents (Saruman) or the Witch-King (Gandalf), then the wizards turn into over-ripe bananas.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 PM   #67
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Take this thread... it is quite cool...

As I stated in the last SbS thread (my mistake... I was not aware of the delineation of the sequences), I disagreed with seeing the Eye of Sauron when Gandalf goes to pick up the Ring. Firstly, if it is so obviously His Ring, then why bother with the fire test at all? Secondly, I think it is one of the greatest mistakes made in the films to show evil, undisguised and unambiguous, too early. We are not left to ponder the nature of either the Ring or the Black Riders. I think a greater sense of mystery could have been maintained by holding back. For example, the scene where we see the Nine ride out from Minas Morgul following the torture of Sméagol. Great, great looking shot. Pure eye candy. But unnecessary, and in the view of this particular Platypus, unwanted.

I loved seeing the lettering on the Ring reflected on Frodo's face. Again, a great looking shot. I did miss one of my favourite lines, however:
Quote:
"I cannot read the fiery letters," said Frodo in a quavering voice.
I didn't care for the fact that Frodo kept the Ring successfully hidden and off his person in the chest for all those hours/weeks/months/whatever the movie timeline was. I think it would have been a greater testament to the Ring's evil aspect if Frodo carried it on his person, unwilling to be parted from It. And I think a pivotal point was left out from the book:
Quote:
Gandalf laughed grimly. "You see? Already you too, Frodo, cannot easily let It go, nor will to damage It."
But PJ made this change for a purpose, I suppose. That initially Frodo was not corrupted by the Ring.

Speaking from a purely movie point of view now, I don't see any convincing reason why we needed to be shown Gandalf's research in Minas Tirith. It would have been perfectly acceptable for Gandalf to turn up after an extended absence with his new knowledge. Similarly, we do not need to see the torture of Sméagol; it should be enough for us as viewers that Gandalf brings the knowledge of it to Frodo. Unfortunately knowing the geography as I do from having read the book, it seems ludicrous that Gandalf would journey from The Shire to Minas Tirith, to The Shire, then all the way back to Isengard. It would be far more likely if Gandalf were to simply reappear in The Shire from who knows where before making the final test, and then legging it to Saruman's place.

Once our characters have established that It is indeed the One Ring, it seems plausible to me that Frodo should have to leave The Shire immediately. Dare I say it, it perhaps makes more sense than Gandalf allowing Frodo to wait for some months before setting out. Although, in Tolkien's defence (ah, that's more like it), Gandalf was unaware of the coming of the Nine Riders to the west. I agree, however, with the earlier poster (sorry, can't recall who) who said that it was a bit unrealistic for Gandalf to expect to travel to Isengard and back in the time it would take Frodo to get to Bree. I don't know how to explain a way out of this one, and apparently neither did PJ, who seemingly put that one in the too hard basket and ignored it.

The appearance of the Wood Elves doesn't serve as great a purpose as the appearance of Gildor Inglorion in the book. Gildor saves the hobbits from discovery by the Black Rider, and sends out messages to the other wandering companies, and Rivendell, as well as serving as Sam's first exposure to the Fair Folk. In the movie, no explanation is given as to how Arwen knew that Strider and co were on the move and pursued by Black Riders (maybe her elfy-sense was tingling? Another for the too hard basket, methinks). However, I can understand why PJ included this scene: to provide more of a back story for the Elves, and explain that they were leaving the shores of Middle Earth and thus would not play as large a part in the story as viewers may have expected. Of course, Elrond explained as much to Gandalf in Rivendell, so I cannot in fact find any purpose for including the Wood Elves, and I'm not surprised the scene did not make the theatrical release.

That is actually my main gripe with the movies: not that they omitted, altered or added, but that in many instances they added or retained material that was not crucial, wasting preciouss screen time. Hey, if we're making scenes for the extended editions of the DVDs, why not give us the Barrow Downs? Or Frodo's song at the Prancing Pony?