The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Enemies of Gondor

Why did the Haradrim, Easterlings, Corsairs and Southrons answer the call of Sauron in the War of the Ring?

The only peoples that Gondor 'offended' that i can think of are the Umbars, who believe Gondor stole their lands. The other four peoples I mention live far away from Gondor, so they have no claim to lands, and being so far away, how would Gondor affect them?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

I guess they ave heard stories abot it and they want a share in the plunder and the land.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

when Sauron made the ring, he had a short hellish rule. he merely conqured those people. now they are slaves to his will
Old 01-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Many of his Mannish allies were probably under the impression that he was simply too strong to overcome, so why not join him and share in his victory?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
Gil-numen
Animated Skeleton

Gil-numen has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Gondorians have Numenorean blood and the Numenoreans, in later times, enslaved the men of ME in the south, where they mostly sailed before the downfall.

-----------------------------
Hello
Gil-numen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

Also, they were probably convinced that there would be profits to reap after the fighting was done. Victory was inevitable, or so they thought. I mean, Sauron was this powerful evil seemingly capable of conquering anyone. Why not grab a slice of the pie?

Ah, the greed of men..
Old 01-04-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Greed. It was all for greed. It can be a powerful motivator. They all knew how wealthy Gondor was, and wanted to get rich quick by stealing as much plunder as possible, without having to do all the fighting themselves. Yes, they did fight, but not as if they had to organize the entire war by themselves.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:34 AM   #8
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also...the men in the West had Elves to help them...other men didn't, so Morgoth and Sauron had basically no one to stop them conquering them. They worshipped Sauron as God, and so answering his call seemed natural.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #9
swordspoken

Sting

Easterlings are men who refused to make contact with the elves during the great western migration during the early second age. They were cruel perople, but proud. They benefited with their alliance with Mordor. They gave Sauron disciplined warriors and in return he gave them the land they had wanted for a long time.
The Haradrim. They had been ruled mercilessly by the Numenoreans and wanted revenge. There lands were barren and they wanted Gondor's fertile plains.
The Corsairs. These guys used to be part of Gondors navy and were rebels. They were driven south. They would raid the coastline south of gondor. They wanted treasure.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:37 PM   #10
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

they mostly wanted revenge not treasure, Castimir the Usurperwas a dark numernorean who rebeld aganest gondor and took over Umbar, which was settled by the numenore's long ago... the easterlings and haradrim looked up to sauron as a god and they wanted revange and land, i don't think it was mentioned very much their main goal was greed... so greed played a very very small part
Old 01-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron was held as a god by the men of the south and the east. They worshipped him, so it is only understandalbe that they fought for him when asked.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 06:55 AM   #12
rutslegolas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

rutslegolas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to rutslegolas Send a message via Yahoo to rutslegolas
Sting

i think all the men residing within the reach of mordor where his allies as the dark lord could have easily destroyed them so they were forced to join him.

and also i remember that i think the haradrim were the enemies of rohan thus i think they allied with the dark lord to defeat rohan also

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:56 AM January 31, 2004: Message edited by: rutslegolas ]
Old 01-31-2004, 07:33 AM   #13
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

I would think that most of the "evil men" who joined Sauron had joined him before, considering they may have been disorganized. Sauron seemed to be a god-like thing and be on the winning side, which they wanted.

Plausible reasons for being:
Easterlings: Rumor has it that throughout Rhun are temples to Morgoth and his kin. I suspect that the Easterlings were merely following through on their worshipping of Sauron.
Variags of Khand: Barbaric, possiply leaderless, wanted to be on the winning side, dared not oppose Mordor for fear of losing.
Dunlendings: Same as above.
Haradrim and Corsairs: The only people who we know had a grudge against Gondor, their reasons are obvious, included in some of the reasons above.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote