The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting How many people did you get to like LOTR?

My cousins were the ones who showed me LOTR. Since then I have "converted" my Employer/family friend. He once didn't care about LOTR, now I've explained the stories over and over.<P> My brother-in-law couldn't stand E. Wood. I dont want a single post of girls saying WHAT HE DOESN'T LIKE E. WOOD? Anyway, he moved to our area in August, and I was even able to get him to dressed up for TTT. From not even seeing the movie to Dressing up, go figure. <P>Anybody else got some good stories?
Old 03-19-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know how good this story is, but I love the ability of these movies to introduce people this story. My next younger brother is about 180 degrees to me in just about everything and I was pretty surprised when we got together at Thanksgiving, how pumped he was for Two Towers. At Christmas our two families watched Two Towers together and had a blast. We even brought mom along. To put this into perspective, my mom is a 64 year old Dutch emigrant. When I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding, my thoughts were, "these guys aren't so weird". <P>She protested that she hadn't seen the first movie, of course a DVD movie party the night before fixed that. It turned into a LoTR Christmas. We've agreed to do much the same thing for RotK next year. We were in Florida last week, and even my dad watch Fellowship (and said it was alright!!! Wow!), something I certainly wasn't going to push.<P>I love the fact that these movies have such a broad appeal. My kids are reading the books (something that likely would have happened anyway). My brother's eldest daughter is doing the same. I know my parents will never read the books and neither will my brother, but that's cool. I just love the fact that I can share my enjoyment of this story with them.<P>H.C.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's cool to hear how everyone has had some sucsess turning people to liking LotR. I had been reading LotR, and was on like chapter three, when I went to see the movie. I loved it and it motivated me to read the rest of the book. I read the entire trilogy in no time at all, and when I finished I started reading it again! I was completely hooked. I told my other friend about it, but she didn't want to watch the movie until she read the book. She moved along slow, but she enjoyed it and she watched the movie and she loved it too. She is an LotR fan now too, but she never got around to finished the entire trilogy. She is still a huge fan though, she's just not a good reader. I tried desperatly to turn my other friends to likeing it, practically by forcing the DVD into their foreheads! I had to tell one of them that Orlando Bloom was voted hottest guy in the world by like 7 magazines before she agreed to watch it (she didn't like it, though.) So I have only had sucsess turning my one friend onto it. But I can say I didn't try!!
Old 03-19-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I had some success. One of my friend's thinks Legolas is a total hottie but she also read the hobbit and is almost through the FOTR and with my urging will hopefully read TTT and ROTK. My other friends think it is kinda cool but don't enjoy it on the same level I do. I actually got my best friend pretty into it but he doesn't read often(prefers movies)so I don't think he will read them anytime soon. I did get into some interesting discussions about LOTR with him but now he can't even remember what the Balrog was. And I influened my boyfriend enough that he went to see TTT even after we broke up. So not bad from a group of almost non-readers who used to think that elves were what helped santa at christmas.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:19 PM   #5
gilraën
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

gilraën has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"A few, a few, too few for drums and yells..."<P>I've had more sucess with kids than adults unfortunately, and I'm referring to the books too, most people enjoy the films but few are bothered to read the books.
Old 03-19-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've gotten almost all my friends to like it!!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 08:29 PM   #7
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I never HATED LoTR, in fact, I never knew about it till Peri and some friends took me to watch it. I haven't converted anyone yet personally.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I wanted to get my mom to like the movie, at least. I thought she'd love it. But nooooo. She finally sees it on cable and sez it was too overrated.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:10 AM   #9
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Three people...all of them deteste the fantasy genre, so i think i did a pretty good job with the conversion

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:53 AM   #10
Mornie Alantie
Wight

Location: Somewhere above earth cause people say i should come down to it
Mornie Alantie has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I started reading LOTR a year before the movie, at that time I didn't even know they were making one. But I have definitely made a lot of other family members like it. I actualy owe my conversion to our Barrow Friend MallornLeaf. But now there is not one person who doesn't find themselves qouting LOTR other than my older brother, but he likes LOTR moderately. Its funny, my dad isn't so sharp in fantasy type stuff, but now at least he tries to get the names right......Boroman....Biramir and such. My boss does it to. But we ment to the Movie for his Sixth time (I confess, every time he went I also wanted to go so every time he's seen it I was with him) and he Actually said BOROMIR!!!!!!!!!!I think it was the first time he got it right.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

none. i prefer to remain the only person with a particular interest in my area. it spoils it if someone else raves about lotr near me. also, the people who do get it all wrong. they called the ents trees. *screams*
Old 03-20-2003, 08:42 PM   #12
elvenarcheressnenya

Tolkien

Well I don't know how great these are for stories, but I did manage to get quite a few people interested. My two best friends both got into it after I told them that it was absolutly FABULOUS. Also two of my cousins. My cousin Harrison is now OBSESSED with it, almost as much so as myself. My younger cousin started even reading the books, and is almost done, whereas when I got her into Harry Potter, she didn't get through the first book before getting bored.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:31 AM   #13
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

well i got all my family and some friends into it.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:37 AM   #14
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I got my sister and my mother to love it!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:22 PM   #15
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So far, my nephew is the only one I've gotten really interested in LotR. An he's only 10, so he's not quite ready to embrace it the way I do yet. If it were up to him, he'd be playing my Fellowship DVD 24/7, but my mom told me not to let him watch it anymore because she thinks he picks up a bad attitude from it *coughcoughMaxKeeblecoughcough* Yeah...<P>My mom doesn't like it very much, she says it has a few funny bits but is altogether to gory . And my dad...well I just don't understand. He always falls asleep during the movie and has never watched the whole thing, but is still convinced it's nothing but reincarnation and "new age junk". GRRR lol.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #16
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Parents. <P>Where would be be without them. <P>H.C.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:35 PM   #17
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Proudly, I can say that my sole LotR convert had no aid from the films, and since I turned him on to Tolkien he has read the Hobbit, LotR two times, and the Silmarillion. <P>Iarwain
Old 03-21-2003, 07:31 PM   #18
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm happy to say I have 6 people I introduced to LotR:<BR>1 - I got to read The Hobbit and LotR before the movie came out.<BR>2 - I got hooked on the movie but still haven't read the books and<BR>3 - Are reading either The Hobbit or LotR currently.<P>Only one of these is a Leggy Lover. And best of all, two of them are joining the Barrow-Downs.