The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Challenge

I just realized something. It's been a long time since I've read Middle-Earth's entire story from beginning to end. In fact, I don't think I've read the whole thing from The Silmarillion through The Lord of the Rings straight through without stopping to re-read and consider what it meant. The fact is, Tolkien wrote a great story that we all seem to love, and I'd like to discuss the high-points as I read them through.

I first read Lord of the Rings more than thirty years ago, and The Hobbit shortly after that. The Silmarillion came along as it was published, and so for the rest.

I think it would be very nice to re-read the entire story of Middle-Earth from beginning to end and re-live the experience of it with each other.

Let's start with "The Ainulindale" and for this part, we can include "Valaquenta." They seem to go together. I'm starting now. Tell me what you think.

Re-live the experience!
radagastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, I just started doing this, but with books on tape. I'm currently working on the Fellowship...weird. I like books on tape because you can do other things at the same time. I finally finished a scarf that was supposed to be a Christmas present for my mom two years ago, and have picked up embroidering.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

hmmm good idea but I think you might find a thread like this in the "Chapter-by-chapter" forum, though I am not sure, as I usually stick to Novices and Newcomers. It has been a long time since I read The silmarillion, about 2 years actually, I am now re-reading the fotr. I know little about this chapter, but perhaps you might get some more satisfying responses from other downers.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Yes, there's a chapter-by-chapter discussion of LotR going on right now, so I suggest that we save the Silmarillion for later. Anyone is welcome to read it at anytime, of course, but to get as many people involved in the discussion as possible, we shouldn't have more than one at a time going on.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote