The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Let it be House Swann for me to continue spreading the houses...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #42
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Oh gods, I've traveled all my life and still there are shores foreign and strange to me, what cruel joke you play in my never-ending odyssey. So though Colin Mute, a sailor, having lost his one eyed captain.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #43
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So. Is everyone fine with starting Night 1 on Monday the 23rd at 9:00 pm BST, ie. tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermirror View Post
Are there enough players yet for there to be a bear and a maiden?
Yes there are! Welcome!

Quote:
The quiz above gave me House Stark, but it'd be nice to have a vague enough role that I could get away with not remembering all that much about the books but still have fun in the IC segments. (I love IC segments, okay.) Maybe I could be a crazy Northern hermit or something like that.
Choosing a house doesn't mean you have to be a member of the house; I take it to mean you're a bannerman or live in the house's general area of influence. Therefore no harm done even if you don't remember much about books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I may or may not play depending on how things develop by the time we start the game.
Aww real life is always crazy! Would love you to stay! Besides, a village with a bear dies faster than the average wolfy village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Oh gods, I've traveled all my life and still there are shores foreign and strange to me, what cruel joke you play in my never-ending odyssey. So though Colin Mute, a sailor, having lost his one eyed captain.
Volo ahoy! So glad to have you!

Aanyhow. Here's the final role description:

The Bear and the Maiden Fair - lovers. Only win if both survive till the end (regardless of whether it's the Lions or the Inn who win the rest of the game). Can communicate at night. The Bear, being a Werebear, kills one person a night as long as the the Maiden is alive. If she dies, the Bear then chooses to help the side that did not kill her (that is, becomes effectively an ordo if she's night killed, or cobbler if she's lynched). NB: don't read too much into the choice of gender pronouns.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #44
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Let's give this a shot, for I, Gil-Galad, First Baker of Braavos shall impress you all with my hot-pies and dough-dancing.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
A hello from your other landlord here! So that I actually get notifications now.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #46
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Aww real life is always crazy! Would love you to stay! Besides, a village with a bear dies faster than the average wolfy village.
True dat.

I'm in, but I will be quiet at times (or maybe all the time), and I will be gone for four days this weekend. I highly doubt I will have internet access there, so I will just have to miss 2-3 phases. Assuming I'm alive.

EDIT: PS: DL was about 2 and a half hours ago, right?

Last edited by Galadriel55; 06-22-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #47
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
EDIT: PS: DL was about 2 and a half hours ago, right?
An hour and a half from your post, and two hours ago from now - remember it's summer time!
Old 06-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #48
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
An hour and a half from your post, and two hours ago from now - remember it's summer time!
Arggh. Curse DST!

(But that explains why I see you guys up so late... )
Old 06-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #49
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
YESSS, we have the numbers for the Bear and Maiden. I will continue to be pleased by this even if I get eaten by the Bear.

Quote:
Choosing a house doesn't mean you have to be a member of the house; I take it to mean you're a bannerman or live in the house's general area of influence. Therefore no harm done even if you don't remember much about books.
Ah, I see. Good to know. I think I'll still stick with being a hermit who lives in the North, though, since it's a super flexible role. I will have wandered off from one of the Northern houses, but which one it was has been lost in the mists of time.
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #50
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, I really shouldn't join a game whose DL is in the middle of my work day....

Expect little posting anywhere near DL (and most of those from my phone), but I'm in.

I know/care not of things related to GoT, so I'll just be a random peasant. Unless there's a House Cupcake or something.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #51
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
This is shaping up to be *so* great game, but I'm afraid I will have to pull out (unless it started only in two weeks). I won't be able to play during the next week, and in fact, not very much already from this Thursday on. Why is it always timed like this...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:41 AM   #52
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
So. Is everyone fine with starting Night 1 on Monday the 23rd at 9:00 pm BST, ie. tomorrow?
Hey! If the game starts tonight, I'd like to play. I'll be a disowned Lannister Imp if you don't mind. No spoilers please but if the Imp dies I won't bother watching GoT any longer.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #53
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've sent BW a message regarding getting Jonathan's account cleared. I'm trying to decide what to do in the event that he does not get posting privileges in time, as I mostly signed up to introduce him to the game.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #54
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, I really shouldn't join a game whose DL is in the middle of my work day....
Yes you shouuuuuuuuuuld. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
This is shaping up to be *so* great game, but I'm afraid I will have to pull out
Aww I'm sad to see you go, you're always an entertaining player! Enjoy real life though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Hey! If the game starts tonight, I'd like to play. I'll be a disowned Lannister Imp if you don't mind. No spoilers please but if the Imp dies I won't bother watching GoT any longer.
Yes it does! Welcome! However, quoting the rules post, "You are encouraged to pick yourself a House to serve, with the exception of Houses Lannister and Targaryen who are not welcome at the Inn openly", so please choose another house to avoid confusion if you don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare View Post
I've sent BW a message regarding getting Jonathan's account cleared. I'm trying to decide what to do in the event that he does not get posting privileges in time, as I mostly signed up to introduce him to the game.
I do hope you'll play in any case! Missing night 1 doesn't really matter all that much because even if he gets a special role (they'll be chosen randomly), there's nothing that can't be taken care of by facebook or email. I'm hopeful, although I must admit you're not the only people annoyed at how inane account creation seems these days. (Those who haven't followed the conversation on the facebook Barrow-Downs group, the mods removed automatic membership because of the recent influx of spammers, and sometimes you have to wait quite long before they approve you, and even so it doesn't necessarily work - this is like Jon's third attempt at joining the Downs.)
Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #55
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Aww I'm sad to see you go, you're always an entertaining player! Enjoy real life though.
I'm also very sad to see me go, but I will peek over Lommy's shoulder (at first literally, later figuratively) and also, I hope this game will be awesome enough so that the people who are playing in this one will consider also playing in one right after that! (In other words: if you get lynched early, take it as incentive that you should play more to get more total playing time, if you survive long, play more in order to get more of the good experience )

Quote:
Yes it does! Welcome! However, quoting the rules post, "You are encouraged to pick yourself a House to serve, with the exception of Houses Lannister and Targaryen who are not welcome at the Inn openly", so please choose another house to avoid confusion if you don't mind.
Well, if he's >officially< disowned...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #56
Lote22
Animated Skeleton

Lote22 has just left Hobbiton.
I am in! Thank gods for members who joined years ago and remember their password. Maybe I'll have my own username by the next one. This is Jon (Th4nleon) for people who know me from FB/IRL. I'll join House Martell, but my IC probably won't be terribly accurate as I haven't read the books yet.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #57
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lote22 View Post
I am in! Thank gods for members who joined years ago and remember their password. Maybe I'll have my own username by the next one. This is Jon (Th4nleon) for people who know me from FB/IRL. I'll join House Martell, but my IC probably won't be terribly accurate as I haven't read the books yet.
Hurray! Should we call you Lote for this game then?

The sign-ups are now closed, and we have sent out the roles. If you didn't get a PM (we recommend checking facebook if your PM box was full), let us know.

Also, we made a slight change to the Bear and the Maiden Fair - if one dies (as opposed to 'if the Maiden dies'), the remaining lover (as opposed to 'the Bear') will avenge them by helping the side that didn't kill them.

Night 1 starts in roughly half an hour.

I'll take this moment to warn you against spoilers
. Remember that not everyone has read the books or watched the show, and some may want to do so without getting spoiled. What happens in the outer world has little to do with what's happening at the Inn right now, so let's stick to keeping plot references to a minimum.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #58
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Ah lazy me, joining was a spur of a moment thing, didn't catch that. I guess I'll be an ex-Lannister Imp then as Legate suggests. Who never pays his debts.

And let me also second Agan, no GoT spoilers please!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #59
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I respect the non-spoiler rule, but I'm not sure how we can roleplay that well if we can't even refer to events from the show.

I guess I'll have to be reeeally subtle with a house that barely appears in the first three books and is absent from the show so far.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #60
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
As I have no knowledge whatever of the books, there'll be no rp stuff from me.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #61
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Well luckily werewolf is a game that requires a high level of subtlety. Use your own judgment and don't tell people things you wouldn't want to have been told yourself.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #62
WythDryden
Animated Skeleton

WythDryden has just left Hobbiton.
This is Encai posting under what will likely be Jonathan/Lote's new account, if the post goes through. Thanks BW for validating!

Edit: great success!
WythDryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #63
WythDryden
Animated Skeleton

WythDryden has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I, Jonathan, WythDryden, shall go by this name, in the house Martell, rather than Lote. Apparently if your lovely other signs up for you they'll make things happen.

Sorry for the double-post, but I figure in this instance it's not too bad, as I'm actually my own person this time.
WythDryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #64
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
You know I get stuff done.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #65
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Or Lord Snow?

Quote:
Also, we made a slight change to the Bear and the Maiden Fair - if one dies (as opposed to 'if the Maiden dies'), the remaining lover (as opposed to 'the Bear') will avenge them by helping the side that didn't kill them.
But the Bear still loses his power, right? Also, do these two communicate at Night?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #66
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Yay well done Encai!

Quote:
But the Bear still loses his power, right? Also, do these two communicate at Night?
Yes and yes.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #67
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thumbs up

21!

Oh, good Gods!

This is going to be complicated indeed. Fun.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #68
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
21!

Oh, good Gods!
Mother have mercy!

But seriously, I think this is the biggest game I've played in. I don't remember the games of my wolfy youth, but the last several were definitely much smaller.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #69
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Day 1 has begun. It is 17 minutes early! Voting will still close at 9pm sharp toMorrow.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #70
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Ahem, the death of the mods is now also included.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #71
Coppermirror
Shade of Carn Dûm

Coppermirror is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry about not voting on Day 1. My internet connection went down not long after my last post in the game thread. (It's working again now, obviously. I hope it won't make a habit of this sort of timing.)
Coppermirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #72
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Old 06-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #73
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

PS: don't forget to burn the body.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #74
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #75
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Hahaha Mac did you change your avatar?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #76
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I love these.

Also Moddess Maria won't be around for the end of the Night so could all Night people PM their business to me please. My inbox is empty this time!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #77
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm terribly sorry for missing the Day, darlings. Work was hectic and I didn't have the time to check the forum. Fortunately I'll be around for most if not all of the weekend, so I'll do my best to catch up then.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM   #78
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I'm gonna miss the next couple Days, so be good village, get a few more baddies in the meantime. Or I'll come back and haunt you!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #79
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Read my death, and this was all I could think of as a reaction

Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #80
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sting So you decided to lynch me...

With love,

Lommy "Baratheon"

PS. Moddesses, GUESS WHAT I HAVE STUCK IN MY HEAD NOW.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote