The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #401
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
EXCLAMATIONS (please give the utterer and the context, if you can).

1. Lawks! (Merry, Crickhollow).
2. Garn! (A mild expletive preferred in ruffian and orkish circles).
3. Blast! (Uttered by Tolkien when he stumbled/tripped in the dark being Father Christmas (as reported by his children). EDIT: Also when he made a mistake writing 'Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo' (on film, in elvish characters).
4. Fool of a Took! (Gandalf, in Moria).
5. Damn the boy! (Tolkien again, when Christopher noticed he'd got the colour of a dwarf's hood/beard wrong).
6. Ai! ai! (Legolas, upon seeing a Balrog).
7. Daro! (An elf in Lothlorien).
8. Burárum! (an entish noise of disgust).
9. Ea! (Eru, at the beginning of creation).
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 AM   #402
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.

3. Blast! (Uttered by Tolkien when he stumbled/tripped in the dark being Father Christmas (as reported by his children). EDIT: Also when he made a mistake writing 'Elen sila lumenn'omentielvo' (on film, in elvish characters).
5. Damn the boy! (Tolkien again, when Christopher noticed he'd got the colour of a dwarf's hood/beard wrong).
10. Oh God! Not another ****ing elf! (Hugo Dyson, while Tolkien was reading from LotR to the Inklings).

(I do have to wonder who he was talking about. Haldir or Galadriel is my guess.)
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #403
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.

10. Oh God! Not another ****ing elf! (Hugo Dyson, while Tolkien was reading from LotR to the Inklings).
11. "Hammer and tongs!" (Gimli, upon seeing Merry and Pippin at Isengard)
Old 12-18-2018, 04:48 AM   #404
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

11. Hammer and tongs! (Gimli, upon seeing Merry and Pippin at Isengard).
12. Sam! (Frodo, when Sam has just mentioned the Enemy's Ring to Captain Faramir).
Old 12-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #405
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

11. Hammer and tongs! (Gimli, upon seeing Merry and Pippin at Isengard).
12. Sam! (Frodo, when Sam has just mentioned the Enemy's Ring to Captain Faramir).
13. Ours at last! - Lobelia SB upon entering Bag End on Frodo's ladr day there

Last edited by Galadriel55; 12-20-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #406
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Given the responses lately, the new topic is:

CHEEKY ANSWERS

1. Then who would you take up with? A fat innkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day?*- Strider
Old 12-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #407
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CHEEKY ANSWERS

1. "Then who would you take up with? A fat innkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day?" - Strider.
2. "And after all, sir, you did ought to take the Elves' advice. They said you should take those as was willing, and you can't deny it" - Sam.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #408
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
CHEEKY ANSWERS

1. "Then who would you take up with? A fat innkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day?" - Strider.
2. "And after all, sir, you did ought to take the Elves' advice. They said you should take those as was willing, and you can't deny it" - Sam.
3. "There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain't, as you might say." - Treebeard
Old 12-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #409
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CHEEKY ANSWERS

3. "There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain't, as you might say." - Treebeard.
4. "Do your women run like the deer, clad only in their hair?" - Saeros.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #410
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
CHEEKY ANSWERS

3. "There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain't, as you might say." - Treebeard.
5. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #411
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

CHEEKY ANSWERS

5. "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo.
6. "And it is also said, ‘Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes' " - Frodo
Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #412
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

CHEEKY ANSWERS

6. "And it is also said, ‘Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes' " - Frodo
7. "Oh, is he indeed? Swagger it, swagger it, my little cock-a-whoop." - Squint-eyed ruffian
Old 12-24-2018, 03:48 AM   #413
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CHEEKY ANSWERS

6. "And it is also said, ‘Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes' " - Frodo.
7. "Oh, is he indeed? Swagger it, swagger it, my little cock-a-whoop." - Squint-eyed ruffian.
8. 'Hullo, Pippin. So you've come on this little expedition too? Where do we get bed and breakfast?" - Merry.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #414
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

CHEEKY ANSWERS

6. "And it is also said, ‘Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes' " - Frodo.
7. "Oh, is he indeed? Swagger it, swagger it, my little cock-a-whoop." - Squint-eyed ruffian.
8. 'Hullo, Pippin. So you've come on this little expedition too? Where do we get bed and breakfast?" - Merry.
9. "It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following." -- Mouth of Sauron
Old 12-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #415
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

CHEEKY ANSWERS

4. "Do your women run like the deer, clad only in their hair?" - Saeros.*
9. "It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following." -- Mouth of Sauron
10. "I can add some more, if you like it. Calling your Chief Names, Wishing to punch his Pimply Face, and Thinking you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools." - Sam
Old 12-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #416
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CHEEKY ANSWERS

9. "It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following." -- Mouth of Sauron.
10. "I can add some more, if you like it. Calling your Chief Names, Wishing to punch his Pimply Face, and Thinking you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools." - Sam.
11. 'I don't keep water in my pockets.' - Frodo.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #417
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

CHEEKY ANSWERS

9. "It takes more to make a king than a piece of elvish glass, or a rabble such as this. Why? any brigand of the hills can show as good a following." -- Mouth of Sauron.
10. "I can add some more, if you like it. Calling your Chief Names, Wishing to punch his Pimply Face, and Thinking you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools." - Sam.
11. 'I don't keep water in my pockets.' - Frodo.
12. "See here, Captain! What are you driving at? Let's come to the point before all the Orcs of Mordor come down on us!" - Sam