The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #1801
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Timely blessings that remind me that I worry too much.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #1802
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Timely blessings that remind me that I worry too much.
I will have to second that.

I often have to remind my self not to worry so much, and when I succeed, it makes life so much more bearable.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #1803
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

I was chatting with a coworker today about the difference between geeks and nerds and I mentioned my membership at this here bunch o barrows. He said, "The Barrow-downs?" and I took it as him not knowing about it. Turns out he has read the book and we discussed Tom Bombadil at length. It was fun and I'm so glad that we could chat. That, I will assign to the Shire any day
Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #1804
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I was chatting with a coworker today about the difference between geeks and nerds and I mentioned my membership at this here bunch o barrows. He said, "The Barrow-downs?" and I took it as him not knowing about it. Turns out he has read the book and we discussed Tom Bombadil at length. It was fun and I'm so glad that we could chat. That, I will assign to the Shire any day
I second that with a great second!

I also add those times when you can just come up and chat with complete strangers because you share a common nerddom. Recently, I got acquainted with a guy who was wearing a Game of Thrones shirt and a couple girls who were discussing Doctor Who monsters. Sharing nerd (or geek) obsessions makes you instant friends, and makes it easier to strike up conversations. So I assign geeks to the Shire any day, and geeks who show it I assign twice!
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #1805
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'll third it with great third (and fourth it with great quart, if need be)! Bonding with random strangers over shared geekdom is cool, I've had such moments with students across the circulation desk at the library where I work. One sported a bag the shape and colour of the Tardis, and it turned out she had been to The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff in her holidays. Imagine my envy!

I also third what Zil and Rune said upthread about worrying too much. I do that too far too often, but fortunately I'm unlearning the habit under the beneficial influence of my happy-go-lucky wife.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #1806
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I'll third it with great third (and fourth it with great quart, if need be)! Bonding with random strangers over shared geekdom is cool, I've had such moments with students across the circulation desk at the library where I work. One sported a bag the shape and colour of the Tardis, and it turned out she had been to The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff in her holidays. Imagine my envy!

I also third what Zil and Rune said upthread about worrying too much. I do that too far too often, but fortunately I'm unlearning the habit under the beneficial influence of my happy-go-lucky wife.
Lauri and I went to the Doctor Who Experience in 2010 when we visited Cardiff and it was so awesome. We both squealed when we saw the familiar park area outside of the building out of excitement and my mother got so startled that she almost crashed the car. Yeah, don't be like us when you go.

On a less chat skwerly note, we also went to the Eagle and Child and when I eventually get my behind over to Oxenmoot, I will be assigning that to the Shire too.

As an addendum, I also assign my garden because I love it and weeding gives me peace. I feel like Sam Gamgee would approve.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #1807
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
As an addendum, I also assign my garden because I love it and weeding gives me peace. I feel like Sam Gamgee would approve.
I'm positive he would.

I assign the first sunburn of the year.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #1808
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sting

Feeling better in mind and body (not yet right mind you but better).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #1809
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf

Coming back here after a year's absence and finding the forum still alive and well. ♥
Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #1810
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Seeing two such fantastic things above this post, so appropriately assigned.

Happy to hear you're better, Mith, and welcome back, Agan!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #1811
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thank you

Old 09-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #1812
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Coming back here after a year's absence and finding the forum still alive and well. ♥
Yay, Agan's back!

We missed you.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #1813
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Yay, Agan's back!

We missed you.
Aww thank you, I missed you too!

While I was gone, though, I've been spreading the love of dwarves by doing several beard workshops, both with friends and Oxonmoot participants.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #1814
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
While I was gone, though, I've been spreading the love of dwarves by doing several beard workshops, both with friends and Oxonmoot participants.
Good job!

Spread the good beard!

EDIT: Especially if your workshops are anything like the dream of phantom's...
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 PM   #1815
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
EDIT: Especially if your workshops are anything like the dream of phantom's...
*shifty eyes*

(I'd completely forgotten about that dream though and burst out laughing halfway through it... it's hilarious! And those dwarf heads would make gorgeous house decoration.)
Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #1816
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
And those dwarf heads would make gorgeous house decoration.
You Brute!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #1817
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign seeing Agan, Lommy and Legate back in black!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #1818
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I assign seeing Agan, Lommy and Legate back in black!
Awww, I assign being back and seeing so many familiar fa... usernames? And all the active new members too.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #1819
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
You Brute!
Not your head, dearest Kuru.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #1820
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
Not your head, dearest Kuru.
Well, that's a relief...but still!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #1821
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
To temper recent electoral anxieties, I'll assign this. It's useful to keep a sense of perspective.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #1822
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Cooking fudge for the first time and having it actually turn out decent.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #1823
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Having Jelly Babies for dinner. I blame this guy.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #1824
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Cooking fudge for the first time and having it actually turn out decent.
I do make quite a good chocolate fudge (though a cheffy friend said it was really ganache) but the last time I did something involving boiling sugar the instructions were a bit iffy and the pan had to be cleaned with a chisel.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #1825
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Nerdy things.

And May the Fourth be with you.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #1826
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Having an unpleasant task unexpectedly canceled.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #1827
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Windless days with -1C and gentle fluffy snow in the winter. Absolutely wonderful days, and perfectly canonical Shire weather.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #1828
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Those impressions that take you back in time, and let you vividly remember days of pure joy.

It can be a whiff of fresh air with a hint of rosy smell, that reminds me of how my mother used to smell when I hugged her as she picked my up from kindergarten. It can be a song from a children movie that reminds me of how I used play with my friend Lise.

You know, those small things, that bring about an incredibly specific memory, perhaps one you had forgotten.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #1829
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I found this thread thinking to assign surprise +18C weather in November. And then I read through the last few pages of this thread, and I want to assign the good memories and shared joys and familiar faces. To quote Pitch from 4 years and only a few posts ago, it would make my day to see more of you guys "back in black".
Old 11-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #1830
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I found this thread thinking to assign surprise +18C weather in November. And then I read through the last few pages of this thread, and I want to assign the good memories and shared joys and familiar faces. To quote Pitch from 4 years and only a few posts ago, it would make my day to see more of you guys "back in black".
It is odd how things change.
Even though I miss the downs and the interaction we used to have on this site, and it is something i do every single day, I am reluctant to sign in. I think it is because I seldom have energy to read through the entire thread these days and feel guilty if i do not participate, so I end up only signing in every other week, and primarily lurk in some dark corner.

Old 11-07-2020, 07:05 AM   #1831
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It is odd how things change.
Even though I miss the downs and the interaction we used to have on this site, and it is something i do every single day, I am reluctant to sign in. I think it is because I seldom have energy to read through the entire thread these days and feel guilty if i do not participate, so I end up only signing in every other week, and primarily lurk in some dark corner.
I am a good deal older now than when I joined the Downs, and I have changed spiritually more than physically over time.

Amid the general world chaos, I've had family deaths, retirement from my current (25 year!) career is imminent, and I begin a new job in a bit more than two weeks.

I find now that I don't often have the time for lengthy debates or discussions, and, indeed, my desire to 'pick apart' the books has lessened over the years. I've become wary of the 'magic' wearing thin, even though reason and my heart assure me that could not happen with Tolkien.

Still, I sign in every day, as a habit. Knowing this place is still here after so many years has often been a comfort to me, as things, especially the past few years, have changed so much in RL.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #1832
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Amid the general world chaos, I've had family deaths, retirement from my current (25 year!) career is imminent, and I begin a new job in a bit more than two weeks.
Are you excited to start a new career, or is this change something that belongs to Mordor?

Old 11-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #1833
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Are you excited to start a new career, or is this change something that belongs to Mordor?
It's the Shire. I look on it as a new chapter, not a slamming door.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #1834
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I assign the street names in my new town. I recently moved here, and it's so entertaining to pass through this one neighbourhood. I swear, whoever was in charge of naming these streets was having a field day. Here we have Camelot, Avalon, Merlin, Lancelot, Guinevere, Galahad, a version of Vivian, Shallot (okay, not quite Shalott, so maybe it's the vegetable after all). And then there's Ivanhoe, which goes with them about as well as a rock in a shoe, but I suppose it has Richard to keep it company.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:58 PM   #1835
Alassë Estel
Wight

Alassë Estel has just left Hobbiton.
I assign...

The birds singing cheerily when they finally return from the South in the Springtime.

Catching fireflies on a late Summer's eve, with the stars overhead.

Campfires on Autumn nights, with juicy fat sausages and sticky marshmallows.

And those still, silent mornings of Winter, after a blanket of snow has fallen during the night, and there are rabbit tracks all over.
John 3:16
Alassë Estel is offline   Reply With Quote