The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Admin Thread for WW LXXXIX: The Terror of Tol Fuin

Quote:
Now Morgoth's power overshadowed the Northlands; but Barahir would not flee from Dorthonion.....and all the forest of the northward slopes of that land was turned little by little into a region of such dread and dark enchantment that even the Orcs would not enter it unless need drove them, and it was called Deldúwath, and Taur-nu-Fuin, The Forest Under Nightshade. The trees that grew there after the burning were black and grim, and their roots were tangled, groping in the dark like claws; and those who strayed among them became lost and blind, and were strangled or pursued to madness by phantoms of terror.
The Silmarillion

After the great War of Wrath in the First Age, the shape of the land in western Middle-earth was changed. Most of Beleriand, the place in which the Eldar and Edain had for so long laboured in the fight against Morgoth, was drowned under the Sea.

At the beginning of the Second Age, it was believed that only three parts of the Lands Under the Wave had remained above the waters. Those were: the island of
Himling, which was the higher portion of the Hill of Himring upon which Meadhros, eldest son of Fëanor had his fortress; Tol Morwen, where it was said the graves of Morwen Eledhwen and her son Túrin, great among the Edain and the slayer of the worm Glaurung, were to be found; and Tol Fuin, the highest part of the highland of Dorthonion, which had come to be known as a haunt of evil, and a place to be avoided by the Children of Ilúvatar.

As remnants of an older time, the three islands, especially Tol Morwen, would surely have been of interest to those in Middle-earth. In particular one would think the Dúnedain might think of finding them. Yet, tales do not seem to speak of such journeys. Were they not attempted? Or were there voyages made to find the islands that ended with dark results?

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ==================================================

Welcome to WW LXXXIX: The Terror of Tol Fuin.

What I have in mind is a fairly basic game, with one twist as to one of the roles (see below).

RULES:

Day and Night will each last for 24 hours.

Players vote once once Day for the player they want to kill. Votes should be highlighted and bolded, like this: ++Inzil.
Votes are non-retractable.

Votes will be counted up to the DL. For instance, if the DL is 2400, a vote posting at 2400 Downs time would count. A vote posting at 2401 would not.

Failure to vote for 2 consecutive Days will result in modfire without a valid excuse.

There are no double-lynches. If a tie is reached, the last person receiving that number of votes will be lynched.

DL: 2400 GMT.

ROLES:

Seer- Standard Seer with one dream per Night. Will be told the role of xyr target.

Ranger- May protect one person of xyr choice each Night. May not self-protect, or protect the same person two consecutive Nights.
*Twist- If the Ranger and the Wolves have the same target, I will roll a 6-sided die, with the results as follows: 1-2--The Ranger not only protects the wolves' target, xe also manages to kill one of the wolves (which wolf to die randomly determined); 3-4--The Ranger is killed by the wolves, and they still kill their original target; and 5-6--The Ranger and a randomly chosen wolf both die. The wolves' original target remains unharmed.
**Note- The above events only occur the first time the Ranger and the Wolves target the same person. After that, the Ranger will simply protect xyr target with no one dying.

Wolves- 3 of them. Standard wolves with Night PM abilities among themselves. Send in one kill-choice per Night.

Ordos- Cannon fodder, lynch bait.

*Seer-dreams, Ranger-picks, and Wolf-kills should be in to me no later than 1 hour before DL.

Wolves win when their number equals number of remaining innocents. Innocents win when all wolves are killed.

Signups are closed.

PLAYERS:

Bom Tombadillo
Nogrod
Shasta
Kitanna
G55
Sally
Eomer
Nerwen
Loslote
Greenie
Lommy
Nilp
Mithalwen
Legate

Last edited by Inziladun; 06-28-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Sign me up, please.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think the traditional ratio has been 3 wolves in a village of 15 - so even if three wolves is probably better in a village of twelve than just two, I wouldn't go adding the number of wolves with the first ones going over 12...

But yes, count me in. Long time, no werewolf. Time to correct that.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think the traditional ratio has been 3 wolves in a village of 15 - so even if three wolves is probably better in a village of twelve than just two, I wouldn't go adding the number of wolves with the first ones going over 12...

I had three wolves in the other game I modded among a field of twelve, and that seemed to work out all right.

Welcome aboard, you and Bom!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sign me up, please. Time to play some Werewolf!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm in, with a firm stance against metagaming.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm in!

I might be away for a few days during the next two weeks, but I don't think I'll miss too much. Also, I'll be away for a while after July 10, but I think we'll finish before that.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*rolls a d6*

Yup. I'm in.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Excellent! Already halfway there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
I'm in, with a firm stance against metagaming.
To hopefully forestall that, all roles will be randomly assigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I might be away for a few days during the next two weeks, but I don't think I'll miss too much. Also, I'll be away for a while after July 10, but I think we'll finish before that.
I'd like to think it'll be over before July 10th, but that largely depends on how quickly we get the minimum number signed up.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Sums it up for me. I'd like in, Inzil.

Deadline doesn't matter for me.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Sums it up for me. I'd like in, Inzil.

Deadline doesn't matter for me.
Done.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Incidentally, I just realized the date. The sooner we start, the better, as I leave to staff at camp on the sixth of July.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Incidentally, I just realized the date. The sooner we start, the better, as I leave to staff at camp on the sixth of July.
Noted. If anyone knows of a person they can threaten, er, persuade rather, we need five more players.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Noted. If anyone knows of a person they can threaten, er, persuade rather, we need five more players.
I've bovvered a few people. Hopefully we'll be full up soon.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

Sign me up!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Sign me up!
Huzzah! And I hadn't even bovvered you yet!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm here! I'm here! And I'm definitely playing!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

A Nerwen and a Lottie. Most excellent.

Also, I added in The Rules what happens to votes that come right at DL.

Last edited by Inziladun; 06-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #19
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
It's way too long since I last played. Sign me up, please.

Oh, and Lommy asks you to add her as a questionmark.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

If mum shows up . . .
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Green View Post
It's way too long since I last played. Sign me up, please.

Oh, and Lommy asks you to add her as a questionmark.
Right-o. With you, Lommy, and that fine fellow there ↓, there's our minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
If mum shows up . . .
Is deeply honoured. Sooo....yes then?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #22
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Nilp, my love, you simply MUST play.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

Oh, quack the kwek, count me in.

(Too few new names to shock, though. Meh.)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 AM   #24
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Oh, quack the kwek, count me in.

(Too few new names to shock, though. Meh.)
The return of the suspicious wolf-breeder!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #25
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
The return of the suspicious wolf-breeder!
Good heavens! That was so long ago.

Ah, well, that game was where suspicious tendencies ended and suicidal tendencies began.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
If mum shows up . . .
What my dearest son?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 AM   #27
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
What my dearest son?
Then I would have joined, sans hesitation.

But as you can see, they have already succeeded in bullying me.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #28
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
But as you can see, they have already succeeded in bullying me.
Indeed. Now it's your turn, Mith. Interested?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #29
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When are you starting - I am going to be a bit busy between now and Sunday. Extended festivities and paperwork.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #30
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

There's a couple of players who have an interest in getting started soon, so really we're only waiting for the minimum number to sign up. You getting in would do it, and all we'd need to see is whether Lommy is in for sure. I could start Night 1 tomorrow, meaning Day One would start Saturday at 2400 GMT.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #31
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

2400? Sorry to be thick so you mean midnight between Sat and Sun or Fri and sat?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #32
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

The start of Night 1 could be midnight (GMT) between Fri. and Sat, with Day 1 beginning midnight between Sat. and Sun.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #33
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OK doke I can manage that - I should be clearish by the time play starts properly. And how can I refuse my dear child?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #34
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
So good to see you with this for such a long tine Mith! Yay!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #35
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
OK doke I can manage that - I should be clearish by the time play starts properly. And how can I refuse my dear child?
I love you, too, Mother.

Midnight GMT would be lovely--8am my time, which means I can do late-DAY shenanigans that could get me lynched, nya~. And if I read this right, DAY 1 starts Sunday morning. Excellent, excellent.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #36
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Right then! If I can get a final word about Lommy sometime today or early Friday, I can have the game thread up for 2400 GMT tomorrow and get started.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'll send her an SMS...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #38
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
I love you, too, Mother.

Midnight GMT would be lovely--8am my time, which means I can do late-DAY shenanigans that could get me lynched, nya~. And if I read this right, DAY 1 starts Sunday morning. Excellent, excellent.
But mummie will be sad if you get lynched. I'll probably get myself lynched becasue regardless of who the wolves are you are my cub!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Palantir-Green

You can confirm my participation - and please add Legate to the player list too. (He'll miss the first half of Night1 for sure in case possible fellow wolves are wondering btw but otherwise no problem with his participation...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #40
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
You can confirm my participation - and please add Legate to the player list too.