The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2002, 03:19 PM   #1
mystra
Haunting Spirit

mystra has just left Hobbiton.
Sting writing

hi does anyone have any tips on writing a fantasy novel? like how much to write, wot to put in, etc. ? thanx
ps. sorry if this was sposed to be in the books section or something! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
mystra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 03:51 PM   #2
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

People write in different ways, so it's how you decide. I prefer to use interesting descriptions, but make things a little mysterious at times, and try to move the story along at a slow pace if you want a long novel.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:32 PM   #3
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

Well, like The Fifth said, it's a matter of personal style and preference mostly. Having a background usually helps, like history for the characters and the countries. Gotta work out the rules of magic if you're going to have anything remotely magical in the book! You and the readers need to know the limits, that way you don't have to deal with dozens of all powerful wizards throwing cities and mountains at each other etc. What else does it need? Um... a bad guy of course. Those are hard, I still don't have one figured out for my book. Companions. They're so common they're practically necessary. I guess it's possible to have on wi out them, but it'd be hard to do. Then the goal is usually some quest, get the magic thingy, destroy a magic thingy, kill the all powerful evil guy, defeat the enemies unending legions, that type of thing. That's all i can think of offhand, and I should really go because my computer is crashing all around me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Think I could read it? Once you've written some that is. I'm not an expert on this or anything but it's something I like a lot, so feel free to email me: davidone_2000@msn.com. Goodluck!
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:33 PM   #4
Elfchick
Pile O'Bones

Elfchick has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfchick
Sting

the thing most important I think. Is before you begin to write. you must decided to write for you, not for anyone else, otherwise it doesn't work. If you want to write fantasy just because you feel like it, GOOD! but if your writing it so you can be published or something, its not likely to work, because your heart is not in it.

Read other fantasy books for inspiration. Don't copy mind you!

drawing maps of the world helps you get a feel for the place your writing about.

Try to work out a plot first. But don't be afraid to expand it later on if inspiration hits you!

Work out the characters. create their own little personality, what they look like, their history. What weapons they use. If it doesn't all get into the story later its okay, its just to help you visualize the character.

Have lots of interesting creatures. Don't stick to the guide lines create your own!

And unless you really feel like it, and are very good, don't waist time trying to come up with a language for a race, it'll burn you out.

Don't obsess over the story, or force yourself to work on it, write when you feel like it, otherwise it won't sound good.

Anyways. I've been dragging on again. Good luck, Have fun, And let us read it when its done!

Welcome to the Barrows
Land of the dead
If you think being dead is boring
Get a Life!
Elfchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

Ok, time for my little humble opinion. This is actually a topic that interests me as i'm trying to write a fantasy story (or two) based on LotR over the summer. Unfortunately i'm worried it's going to turn into another Beren/Luthien.

Ok my tips.

Work out a plot. It's fine if it changes later, just go with the flow.
Like others have said, it's a good idea to have worked out some history and background. It gets you more involved in the story and also helps you to understand what you're writing about.
Make sure you develop the characters thoroughly. Their good points, weaknesses, flaws etc. These all help a reader relate to the character.
Never forget description. It helps if readers can picture a place in their minds, it draws them further into the story world.
Dialogue is good but sometimes i feel too much gets annoying, sometimes it's unnecessary. However it's also useful for developing characters... so it's just a matter of personal opinion.

Hope i helped! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2002, 03:07 PM   #6
mystra
Haunting Spirit

mystra has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hi! thanx for the great responses! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] they really have helped. im trying to be as different as possible, which is really hard! but i have one difference (i hope its different!)- instead of just picking up a group of companions, they come and go throughout the story. only a couple are ongoing. i havent actually written anything yet! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ive been creating the world around it, like the history, the lands, etc. and im attempting parts of languages. anyway.... thanxs again! luv myst.

Cyber Raga. Nuff said.
mystra is offline   Reply With Quote