The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2002, 09:23 AM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Disney Adventures Magazine talks to Sean and Elijah

There was an interview of Elijah Wood and an interview with Sean Astin in the November issue of Disney Adventures Magazine about TTT. <P>Here's what Elijah said:<P>Q. What obstacles do the hobbits face?<BR>Elijah: They have to go through the Dead Marshes, a hostile area with dead soldiers who come to life and try to take you underwater.<P>Q. What scary creatures does Frodo encounter?<BR>Elijah: The scariest thing is a secret. But one creepy thing is Gollum. By looking at him, Frodo sees what could happen to him if the Ring gets its way with him.<P>Q. Why don't the Ring's powers affect Frodo as much as everyone else?<BR>Elijah: Hobbits' innocent souls are like a built-in armor that helps them withstand the Ring.<P>Q. What cool places in Middle-Earth will we see?<BR>Elijah: The Fanghorn Forest, which has amazing Treebeards- walking, living trees.<P>Q. Why are Frodo and Sam such good friends?<BR>Elijah: They work well together. Frodo has wisdom and knowledge; Sam has courage.<P>Here's what Sean said:<P>Q. What is the coolest thing your character does in The Two Towers?<BR>Sean: He battles with Gollum, and he confronts Frodo, which is a very un-Sam thing to do. But Sam is not "Action Hobbit" this time around. In one place I do some repelling down a cliff with some Elvin rope, which required some skill. But mostly, Sam just eats a couple of stewed rabbits.<P>Q. Tell us about the Elvin rope- what's that?<BR>Sean: It's magic! It knows what you need it to do. For example, if you tie it to a rock, and climb down a cliff face and you can't go back up to untie it, I will magically untie itself for you.<P>Q. What obstacles do Sam and Frodo face?<BR>Sean: Well, we get lost. You know, there are no road signs on the way to Mt. Doom! You just have to hope you hook up with the right people. And we get captured at one point. And Gollum- he's a tricky guy to deal with. When he was in possession of the one Ring for a long time he didn't age. But then when he lost the Ring, all the years that passed caught up with him very quickly. So Gollum has a lot of attitude an isn't a happy camper.<P>Q. Is Gollum the scariest thing you and Frodo meet up with in this movie?<BR>Sean: No- there are these winged Nazguls that we come up against that fly and shriek. And they're hunting Frodo!<P>Q. Why does Sam stick with Frodo?<BR>Sean: Part of it is the way Sam was raised. his father worked for Bilbo Baggins, so he took on the job of looking after Frodo Baggins. It's in his character to be loyal. It's an admirable quality and that's why people love Sam.<P>Q. How do Sam and Frodo defend themselves without the Fellowship?<BR>Sean: Sam and Frodo have to rely on each other and on their wits and their courage. They have to be brave and continue into the unknown.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I'd read that, and found it rather disappointing...Elijah, what's up with "Treebeards?" Plural? Did I misread the book or was there only one? Gr! After eighteen months you'd think he'd know...Oh well. Probably a long day or something.<P>And what's up with Sean Astin saying that Sam 'mostly eats a few stewed rabbits?' Meow?<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-23-2002, 12:08 PM   #3
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

*laughs*<BR>Couldn't agree more!<P>So the scariest thing was the Nazgul?<BR>I always had this thought that Gollum untied the rope...why, je ne sais pas...
Old 11-23-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

What I don't get is this...<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Q. What obstacles do the hobbits face?<BR>Elijah: They have to go through the Dead Marshes, a hostile area with dead soldiers who come to life and try to take you underwater.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What is with that? I thought the Dead Marshes were things with dead soldiers in it, yes, but I don't recall them coming to life in the book. I thought it said that you couldn't touch them even if you tried. I don't get that. <P>And the other thing that someone else already mentioned, they are called ENTS. Not Treebeards. This kid need some serious learning going on here. Lol. <P>Anyway, cool article. I saw the magazine in the store, but I didn't read it or nothin. Thanks for the post!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, and I forgot something. Elijah says... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Elijah: The scariest thing is a secret. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What is that supposed to mean? Is there a possibility they might show a part of Shelob? Maybe they will end the movie with Frodo getting captured.....Hmmmm......Could it be?
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:22 PM   #6
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oi! The part about the Marshes went right over my head, I was so caught up with the "Treebeards" in "Fanghorn!" That's really disturbing, I hope they don't do that, I hope he was just wrong again...<P>Meow.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:24 PM   #7
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Oooo I wanna get it! Anything with Elijah in it I just gotta have. Woohoo! I hope thats not how the marshes are in the movie...
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:47 PM   #8
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

All I gotta say is thank goodness he's an actor and not the storywriter. As long as he acts the part well, i'm happy. Watch out for them there 'Treebeards' HAHAHAHA
Old 11-23-2002, 10:24 PM   #9
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't believe he said that about Treebeards!!! Ha Ha HA! Hilarious! <BR>I think that was just a mstake but that thing about the Dead Marshes is weird cuz they definately don't try to kill them or anything! Maybe PJ added that in...
Old 11-23-2002, 10:26 PM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Concerning the Dead Marshes: Remember, it is a movie, and movies require - well, moving. <P>I doubt that the dead warriors pop out of the swamp like a bunch of jack-in-the-boxes, but I could see them opening their eyes, whispering to Frodo, or reaching out specteral hands under the water to "lure" him in. <P>Tolkien give a description of the effect the Dead Marshes have in the book, but it would be hard to suggest this in a film. I'm sure P.J. has handled the ghastly, rotting dead men with good taste. <P>Oh, yeah - sounds like we may get a suggestion of Shelob. Maybe at the end of Two Towers we will see her webs and some of her "handiwork", like sucked-dry Orcs and such. Then - BAM! - RoTK opens with Shelob in all her bloated glory.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:06 PM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Elijah: The Fanghorn Forest, which has amazing Treebeards- walking, living trees <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I read that whole article at the library, and got a chuckle at Elijah's expense. I figure he just wasn't into that part of the movie much because Frodo never meets the Ents, I don't think...maybe on the way home he does...oh I don't remember. In the movie he probably doesn't anyway.<P>Now, if it was either Dom or Billy who said that I'd think they were crazy.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:36 AM   #12
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i remember an earlier link here to an interview of EW right after TFOTR where he openly admitted to not having read LOTR at all. brrr; i thought at the time that, whatever, at least he's cool enough he doesn't have to make some decent pretense at it. though i was kind of hoping he would later take a step forward and read the darn thing for his own education, and also just so he could have a little understanding of the passion LOTR inspires in so many people (like PJ for one).