Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2004, 02:54 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye Hunted RPG

Niluial’s post

Melody looked out the window and the nightmare was still not over, the trees, hills, lakes and everything ells was still covered in white snow. Melody hugged herself hopping to get warmer. The door opened behind her, she turned around and saw an angry face.

“There is hardly any food left!” Tom said walking into the room throwing all his papers on the floor. Melody backed away, she hated Tom’s bad moods.

“We must get a group of us together to get supplies! We need them or we will starve” he said in a calmer voice.

“But who? I am sure not many are prepared to go out in this cold. There are wolves along the bor…”

“I know there are wolves around the border and dangers out there! Do you think we have a choice?” Tom said interrupting Melody. His tone changed to angry again. “Why don’t you understand?”

“I do understand, I am just the one staying calm here!” Melody exclaimed putting her hand on his shoulder. Tom pushed Melody’s hand away and walked out the room slamming the door behind him. Melody fell to the floor and started crying. She couldn’t take it anymore, all this stress and anger. Everyone in The Shire was stressed and depressed. Melody hated seeing everyone like this, it was awful. "I must do something," she thought.

She sat at the dinner table with Tom that evening, it was silent. Melody looked at Tom, not sure if she should say anything. She couldn’t touch her food, she was hungry but was too distracted. She watched Tom across the table.

“Eat! Why aren’t you eating? And stop looking at me like I am an orc!” Tom shouted. Melody sank down into the chair and took a bite of her food. He had been so snappy lately, always shouting and giving orders. Melody sat up straight “T..To..Tom. I have” she took a breath “I have an idea” Melody said, she waited for a reply.

“Yes? What is it?” Tom asked.

“Well, we could go to Rivendell. Get a group of us together and get the supplies we need. I was wrong earlier! There are many Hobbits out there wanting to go on the trip, just to save their families, they would even die for them” Melody said with a half put on smile.

“That is the best idea we have so far I guess.” He paused, looking into her eyes “I’ll call a meeting tomorrow! We can send the news around about the meeting and ask all willing Hobbits to come.” Tom said. He looked back down onto his plate and carried on eating. Melody sighed with relief, maybe they could help.

The next morning Melody was up early in the kitchen singing. Ivy stood outside knocking on the door

“Knock, knock! Anyone home?”

Melody ran and opened the door and squealed “Ivy! You’re here, perfect timing indeed!” Melody said hugging her best friend. Ivy laughed and they both walked into the kitchen.

Ivy looked at Melody “why are you so happy? Its odd seeing someone happy in this town, everyone is so sad and snappy!” Ivy inquired.

“Tom and I are getting a whole lot of Hobbits together to go to Rivendell to get the needed supplies” said Melody, mixing the cake mixture.

“And you are happy because you can go?”

“Well” Melody paused “I haven’t spoken to him about that yet”

“Oh, Melody! You know Tom won't let you go, he cares for you too much!”

“I’ll bring up the subject at the meeting! You will come to wont you?”

“Me, miss out an adventure, huh!” Ivy said winking at Melody.

They ate breakfast and spoke about the trip and who they thought were coming. Melody felt bad, she had more supplies than the other Hobbits in the Shire - their pantry wasn’t full but enough to last a week or two. Ivy left after breakfast, she had some things to do.

Tom walked into the house while Melody was outside picking flowers. “Melody! The meeting is on for late afternoon. I told a few about the trip and it is bound to travel quick.” Tom said.

Melody smiled and said “Well I’ll see you at the meeting then!” and carried on gardening.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:43 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-07-2004, 02:56 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Gorbadic’s post

Gorbadic walks through the woods towards a friend's house. As he makes his way there he notices a rabbit stuck in a trap. Sadly the rabbit is close to death and can not be saved but Gorbadic does not take that for an excuse not to help. He runs over to the small animal and breaks the trap with all his strength. Picking up the rabbit Gorbadic begins to cry over what has happened to it. The rabbit dies in his hand so Gorbadic takes it to some bushes and wraps some ivy around it and digs a small hole. He sets the rabbit into the hole and covers it up.

Gorbadic knows he has to be at his friend's house soon so he starts to walk a little faster than before, hoping to get there in time. From the faster walking, Gorbadic decides he should take a rest. He walks over to a fallen tree and sits down and then leans back against it. Yawning loudly Gorbadic feels better and starts to drift off to sleep. His head starts to droop over making his hair swing low. He suddenly remembers the meeting and jumps up and begins to walk slower then a jog but faster than a average walk speed.

He sees the house up ahead and notices some people by it. It was his friend's so he walks steady again and makes it there - waving to all his friends and telling what happened just to come over to the house. Gorbadic sits down on the ground and again starts to drift off to sleep when the door opens up. Happily he walks in and finally can relax for once in the day.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:23 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Phervasaion’s post

Tom paced up and down the path by Melody’s house thinking who he could trust to go on this mission with him. He had a few good old hobbit friends that lived near by and he was sure they would come along to the meeting if he asked, so, he went to visit them all. All of them were not sure of coming on the actual journey due to the wolves and danger, but, luckily for Tom they all agreed to go to the meeting on that late afternoon.

Tom told everyone to meet at his house for four. An hour before hand Tom grabbed some spare chairs from his room and began placing them around his dining room table. He stopped and thought for a moment.

“We could have some dinner while the meeting is on,” Tom thought to himself as he let the Hobbits passion for food appear in him. “No,” he said aloud as the strictness of him reappeared on his face. “It would only make us trail off the subject… Plus I don’t have enough supplies anyway.” He finished placing the chairs around his table and stretched. The chairs were rather heavy for a hobbit to carry around and he had a bad back in the first place.

Just at four o’clock Tom heard a knock the door. He opened it and in walked Melody and Ivy along with the other hobbits. “Good! Your all on time,” said Tom in his usual dominant voice. They all made their way into the dining room and took their seats.

Tom simply explained the extremely dangerous situation they were in with all the crops being frozen over, food supplies running short, and he told them the details of their plan. When he finished he simply stood up and leaned over the table and said to them in a demanding manner, “Now… I trust I will have all your company for the journey?” All the hobbits looked at each other and there was a short silence.

“Yes err…okay we will come along with you,” one of the Hobbits replied looking slightly scared of Tom.

“Good! Now, Melody and Ivy I need you to prepare some food supplies for us before we set out tomorrow if that’s okay with you,” said Tom to the two Hobbit ladies. Melody looked back with a brave face.

“Actually we were hoping to come along with you… can we?” Tom just looked at them as if they had just offended him in some way.

“What! You think you can come along with us?? Do you know how dangerous the road towards Rivendell is!?” Tom shouted in a booming voice.

“Yes, bu…”

“But What?! The point is the road is too dangerous for women and you're not going!! This meeting is over. Everyone leave!” All the Hobbits left in a hurry to let Tom calm down. After they left Tom slumped down in his chair and took a deep breath. “I suppose I’ll eventually have to let the women come along. Melody usually gets what she wants anyway,” Tom muttered to himself unwillingly.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Elentari’s post

The snow fell silently from the grey sky, as it had done for a long while now. Merimac Headstrong couldn’t remember any winter having been this cold before, though his memory only stretched back thirty-four years, well, not even that. Food supplies were running dangerously low, and he was glad somebody was finally taking action about it. Tom Bracegirdle had invited him to a meeting at four o’clock that afternoon. Merimac was hoping that there would be some expedition to get more supplies, and he was not disappointed. He arrived with Melody, Ivy and some other hobbits at Tom’s dwelling and took his seat at the dining room table.

Tom explained the plan in much detail to the hobbits, and Merimac was inwardly both excited and nervous about the possible journey ahead. He had never left the Shire before, yet his curiosity soon overcame his fears.

“Now… I trust I will have all your company for the journey?” Tom said in a demanding voice.

Another of the Hobbits present answered for the group, though they seemed nervous and slightly scared of Tom. “Yes err…okay we will come along with you.”

Merimac was about to stand and say farewell, as the meeting seemed to be over, when Tom suddenly began to shout at Melody. Tom was right though, the road was dangerous, but Merimac had learned from childhood scuffles that hobbit lasses are just as capable has hobbit lads when it comes to protecting themselves. However, he said nothing because he did not wish to get involved in an argument with Tom. He knew that Melody would easily persuade Tom to change his mind.

He slipped quietly away from the meeting, for it was now definitely over. The road back to his hobbit-hole was quite icy under the snow, but he managed to keep his balance as he walked slowly along, deep in thought. What should he pack? He’d never been on such a long adventure before. He packed what he thought he’d need, such as some rope, food, extra clothes in case it got even colder, his sling and stones, and his walking stick. Who knows what we might meet on the way to Rivendel, he thought.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Teleri's post

The shire was stuck in perpetual winter, and the snow had long become monotonous to even the children. In a hobbit hole in Tuckborough, with a white frosted roof, a woman sat hard at work in her study. She was just beginning to leave middle age, and she wore a simple brown dress, who's only adornment was a ruffel on the end of each sleeve. Her mingled black and silvery hair was pulled back into a bun, to keep it out of her face, and tied with a rag. She was making a toy.

Ah...Two months of hard work, and now I am finished at last. Estelle slipped a tarneshed old whittling knife into its worn leather sheath, and set a toy ship on the table. She stepped back to admire the effect. A pale winter light shown through the round window in a beam. She had placed the miniature vessel directly in the light, and now its glossy paint shown and glittered, like a far off twinkling star. She could see clouds off dust faintly, and they looked like golden fog, wrapping round the mast playfully, then racing away from the narrow straight of light. The ship was made with caring detail, and even the tiny ropes were knotted just so.

This one will be for my own collection. Estelle laughed, as she imagined what what many of the hobbit-mothers near by would say if she had given a toy boat to their child.

Estelle stood to put the boat in its place, and winced. Her bones ached. Only her hands, and fingers had been spared this hurt of age. She was hungery as well. She could not afford to eat more than one meal a day, and that one not so lavishly as she might wish. Curse this long cold! She thought to herself. I hope this balsted ice melts tomorrow, and then if it is never Winter again it will be too soon! The weather did not only affect her. The children were starving, or freezing their toes off outside and catching cold. Many of Estelle's young friends were sick, and two were dead. Estelle frowned as she lifted her ship to its place on the shelf.

There was a knock on her door.

"Who is it?" she hollered, already clamoring to the door.

"It is..." she opened the door as Tom Bracegirdle finished saying, "Tom."

"Mister Bracegirdle! Come in this instant before your feet turn to ice cubes!"

The hall was not much warmer than outside, and the only fire lit was in the study, so that is where they went. Estelle was bustling about happily: a visitor was always cheering.

"Now then Mister Bracegirdle! Will you take some tea?" She asked brightly, putting the kettle on the fire. "It's a good brew, though I am afraid I have no good vittles to go with it..."

"Thank you, my good lady!" said Tom, now eyeing the newest addition to to Mrs. Tunnelly's toy collection: a miniature boat. He grinned at it mischievously.

Estelle, catching the reason of his smile, said, "Do you like it? I finished just a moment before you showed up."

"Why yes I-" he was not allowed to finish.

"Speaking of which," said Estelle, " you did not come out in this weather just to have tea with an old woman. Do you need anything?"

Tom had, infact come to recruite the help of Mrs. Tunnelly in an expedition to get supplies. But once again, he was not allowed to speak.

"Mister Bracegirdle," said Estelle, "I am beginning to grow worried. If the weather does not change soon, we will miss the planting season, and everyone will starve! Now I have been thinking about it for some time, sir, and I have an idea: we should go to Rivendell, and I am sure the elves will help us. Or even Bree! They have not been so sore in their luck as we."

"Well Mrs. Tunnelly, I should have known you would want to be in on this..."
Old 01-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Fool Of A Took's post

Cedric hated the snow. He couldn't sleep or read in his hammock. He took up some snow in his hand and looked angry at it. He got the feeling to hit the snow, but he changed his mind as he realized it would look silly if he stood in his own garden hitting some snow. He sighed and threw it away. His face took a more sad shape when he noticed his flower bed. His flowers were all frozen and dead. He tried to brush the snow of the leaves. “Bah! I was going to plant new anyway!”, he thought.

He rose and brushed away some snow off his knees. He saw his neighbour, the hobbit lass Crystal Whitfoot. “Good day to you!” Cedric said and tried to smile. It was so cold that it was hard to smile. Crystal looked at him. “Good day Cedric!” Crystal said and waved. Cedric turned around and went into his hole. He sat down by the fireplace in his most comfortable armchair. He started thinking about yesterday. Why did I accept to join the others to go to Rivendell. As I think of it now, I would rather stay here. He drew a deep sigh. But its too late, I have already promised them. He took up his pipe and fell into his thoughts about the journey again.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:19 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-12-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

dragoneyes' post

Hob Bolger was sitting on the step outside the back door of his house. The snow was falling gently around him and on him. He pulled his coat tighter around him. It was a fine fur-lined green coat, which he thought must have been exspensive, but had never found out as he had recieved it on his father's birthday and so of course couldn't be told the price. Now he was glad for it. He hated sitting inside only being able to hear his mother's coughs and it made outside that little more bareable, even though his ears were still aching with the cold.

As he sat, he thought over the past few days. How was it that he'd come to find himself enrolled on a trip from his home to Rivendell? He remembered meetings with other hobbits, Tom Bracegirdle stood out in his mind as the one who had planned it all, but it was his father that had sent him away from his warm house and bare larder to set out on a quest away from everything he'd ever known to the hopefully fuller larders of the Elves.

Hob stood from his familiar position, shaking the snow from where it had settled all about him. He hated the cold with all his heart for what it had taken from him, but it was time like these, when his stomach wasn't grumbling and he could see no sign of sickness, that he forgave it. He opened his door, best to get packing now, he didn't want to forget anything, as his father kept reminding him. He smiled, how his father was fussing all over him, truely proud and yet at the same time worrying. As if he were taking over the job of his mother. He heard a cough and the smile was wiped from his face. He stepped inside the house and stamped the snow off his feet. He glared back outside at the frosty scene, it was just an innocent-looking facade and underneath he saw the cold for being the sinister climate it really was and slammed the door shut behind him.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:21 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Orofaniel's post

Daisy closed the door behind her as the wind blew coldly in her hair. She shivered so she tightened her coat around her waist. The snowflakes were falling down as light feathers, but as cold as the icy waters. She walked out of the small gate from the garden. It had once been the prettiest garden in the area, because of the blooming flowers in every colour. It hadn't been like that for a long time, Daisy thought and sighed. Even during summer the snow had been there, and there hadn't been much "gardening" on daisy lately. The only thing you could see now was some stick with ice sticking up to the surface, but no flowers.

Most of, or all the crops in the back yard had also been frozen away and died.

Suddenly Daisy realised that she was standing face to face with Melody Took. Melody's beautiful hazel eyes were looking at Daisy as she greeted her.

"What brings you here?" Daisy asked curiously while she gave a short laugh. Melody laughed as well, and smiled.

"Well, actually...." She started narrowing her eyes. "Since it has been such a long winter...and since there isn't much food left, it has been suggested that group of Hobbits should get to Rivendell to get food and supplies. You know, the crops all over the shire are gone…died…." She said and looked anxious at Daisy. "Even your beautiful garden is covered in snow and ice..." She said finally looking down on the ground.

"Oh....I would live to come" Daisy exclaimed. "I would love to do something for the Shire...to bring food and supplies from Rivendell ...and too the Hobbits!" She continued, her sparks in her eyes were not to be overseen.

"Yes, that's....understandable." Melody said and shrugged. "But that is also one of the problems...."She continued. "You see...there was a meeting where Tom gathered the Hobbits that would be needed for the journey. He told me and Ivy that we should prepare the food they needed for the journey and so on. But when we asked if we could come, something we both were hoping for, he said no." Melody said with a heavy sigh. It was obvious that she wanted to come as well, and not be shut out like that.

"Oh….I see." Daisy said and blushed. "So, you want me to help or...." Daisy continued, her face now turning into her normal colour again.

"Well, you could help me and Ivy with the supplies the Hobbits need for the journey. I guess...." She said doubtfully. She eyed the disappointment in Daisy's eyes, and smiled: "Well, we could ask Tom again!" She suggested. "First time it was only me and Ivy, but no you'll be there too. So we'll be more and stronger!” She said enthusiastically.

Daisy straightened her back and smiled as well. She thought it was a splendid idea, and she thought for herself that this wasn't an opportunity to throw away. She had to try....
Old 01-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

ElenCalaIsil's post

Ivy looked out, on the bank of the Brandywine. A cold wind rustled the leaves and brought a chill to her body. It had never been this cold in her life. The river was covered in a thin sheet of ice, and there was an air of danger about. Ivy drew her cloak about her, keeping out the prying fingers of winter’s cold wind. She stood staring past the river. A few other Shire-folk peered out from behind trees. Ivy turned to see them, and walked away. Something was not right. As she walked down the familiar path, the folks came out of their homes and gave Ivy a look. She saw that they were worried. Picking up the pace, Ivy walked towards the Great Smials, where Melody Took would await her.

It was fairly obvious to Ivy, why Melody had summoned her, it lingered in the air, it was in the faces of the Hobbit-children. It was in the ice that covered the Brandywine. Secretly, Ivy looked forward to what was coming, but she kept a solemn look upon her face, one to match the people she passed on her way. Melody had the inside word, and Ivy would not let her slip past without knowing. As she drew nearer to the place where she would rendezvous with Melody, she grew excited. A smile crept upon her face, and she was met with frowns. Ivy ignored the Hobbits’ looks and kept walking. She sensed the opportunity to go on an adventure.

When at last Ivy came closer to Great Smials, a Hobbit-lass came towards her. A worried look upon her face. Ivy’s smile receded into concern, as Melody nodded, and motioned her to come closer. As Ivy approached, she saw a group of Hobbits, gathered a bit farther behind Melody. They seemed reluctant, about something, and they all had large packs with them. They spoke in hushed voices, and Ivy listened. Melody took her aside and explained the ordeal. “Rivendell?” Ivy asked incredulously, when Melody had finished her tale. Melody nodded once more. Ivy stood, staring out at nothing, lost in thought. They would need strong Hobbits, to carry back a plenty. The crops were dying, and something had to be done.

“I will come. I don’t carry much for myself, anyhow. I can carry supplies for the others. They can’t rely on the ponies, and wagons alone.” Ivy said hurriedly. She was sure someone would protest, but she was determined nonetheless. Ivy was known for her mischievous ways, and this was a serious journey. But the yearning to go on an adventure, even one such as this, gnawed at her heart. She knew that Melody would expect this of her. She tilted her head in question.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:03 PM January 12, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-16-2004, 10:29 AM   #10
Gorbadic
Pile O'Bones

Gorbadic has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

*After the meeting Gorbadic notices how Tom treats Melody. He talks to her in a loud voice. To loud really to be something happy or nice. Gorbadic walks over to Tom and pulls him to the side and whispers in his left ear. "Why do you talk to her like that?" *Gorbadic lets go of Tom's arm and walks away back torwards his other friends before Tom could even answer his question. He leans on Merimac's left shoulder and gives Tom one last look. "How much food are we gonna take? Its so cold out so we probably cant take much can we?" Gorbadic wonders this with concern. He doesnt want to starve to death out in the freezing cold, well or anywhere.*

*Gorbadic gets off of Merimac's shoulder and walks over to the table. He sits down in one of the chairs and slouches so much he is practicly hanging from the chair's end. He doesnt care as long as he can lay back for a few minutes. He shuts his eyes and then as soon as he did it has to get up. The reason being because his chair was slipping out from under him. Before he can react the chair goes back while his body falls down to the floor. He lands with a loud thud and pain. He slowly stands up while holding his back and his eyes narrowed. "Now that hurt!" He says this in pain and they could tell that he was really in pain. He walks back over to Merimac and again leans on his left shoulder this time for helpful support.*

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:30 AM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Gorbadic ]
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #11
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Estelle never really had a doubt that she would be allowed to come. Tom's a reasonable chap, even if his is strong-headed... she thought, as she began to pack an old sack with essentials for the the journey. Tom had been the only one apposed to leaving all the women behind. And he would not think of trying to make me stay. For I can be scarier than he.

This thought stirred old memories, that made Estelle smile. She remembered how, when she was a lass, nobody could leave her out of an adventure. She would toss her long hair, and glare at the unfortunate victim, until she got her way. As an older woman, she had less to be angry about, but she remembered one occasion when Tom himself had been a particularly bad guest. He was no more than twelve, and the glare had made him stagger as if he'd been hit in the chest with a rock.

Well, I'm coming, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me! Besides, she thought, if a group of young hobbits are willing to go on such an adventure in the first place, then they are lacking in sense. They will need someone older than they are to look after them.

"There!" she said, putting some jarred food into the sack. "I don't have much else to pack that'd be useful anyway, so I guess I'm done..."

Estelle went into her study, and lay the sack inside the door. She sat infront of the dying fire, and waited for word from Ivy, or Melody, aware that it may be a long time before she sat infront of her fireplace again.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:09 PM January 16, 2004: Message edited by: Teleri ]
Old 01-17-2004, 01:28 AM   #12
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Fool Of A Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why had Tom been so hard on Melody, Cedric thought as he sat by the fireplace, I don't have anything against that a woman comes with us. Cedric rose up and walked to the kitchen and started making some tea. Why had he been so harsh to her? That question annoyed his mind all the time. And now he was supposed to go on a journey with that man. Cedric tried to think of the journey instead. Suddenly he heard someone knocking on the door. Someone was knocking so hard that it sounded like someone where going to blow up his door. He ran through the hall and opened the door. His mother, Lilly, stood outside and was jumping up and down to keep the herself warm.

“Mother!” Cedric began and hugged her.

“Cedric! What is the meaning of this?” she said and now her voice started to sound angry.

“What are you talking about?” Cedric said and looked confused at his mother.

“I’ve heard from my neighbour that you and several others are leaving, and will try to get to Rivendell?!” she said and looked shocked.

“Ehm... Yes, mother. I was just going to tell you.” Cedric said slowly. “ Come in and have a cup of tea. I will explain everything.”

They both went into Cedric's kitchen and Lilly sat down. Cedric served her tea and sat down beside her. He didn't like the look of her face. The worried look he used to get when he was in trouble. She sipped at the tea and leaned back in the chair. Cedric had a bad feeling of explaining it all. She must be worried and disappointed now, he thought and stroke his hand through his hair. His mother stared at him and had a cold look. Cedric tried to avoid her gaze. His mother seemed to await Cedric to explain it all, but Cedric still didn’t say anything.
“I don't want to lose you too, Cedric” she began.

“Mother, I will come back!” Cedric said, he actually thought at least, I hope I do.

His mother shook her head slowly. She sipped at her tea and leaned back in the chair. “I am sorry, mother, but you must go now. I will come by your house before I leave” Cedric said and tried to smile. But it was hard. His mother looked concerned, but she rose up and walked to the door. They took farewell and Cedric stood on his doorstep and looked at her as she walked home. He turned back into his hole. Now I will go to Melody and see if she’s ok, he thought and grabbed his best winter coat. He pulled his coat tight around him and started to walk slowly to Melody. He knocked at Melody’s door and started to jump up and down to keep himself warm.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:49 AM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Fool Of A Took ]
Old 01-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #13
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Melody looked into Tom’s piercing blue eyes. Tom hadn’t been himself lately, he was different, not the patient, loving, warm hearted person Melody once knew. He was under pressure and it was only natural that he changed, everyone changed. What used to be a happy, busy village was now a sad place filled with sickness and unhappy hobbits. Melody was caring; she hated seeing everyone like this. I am going on the journey, there is no other option. How does Tom expect me to just sit back and not be there? Melody questioned herself, while looking into his deep, sad eyes. The sparkle that used to be in his eyes had died out from the sleepless nights and stress.
“Tom, I am going with and so is Ivy and Estelle, we are going on the journey” Melody said in a bold voice.

“Melody!” Tom shouted. He paused to calm himself, “I am not letting you go. How many times must I tell you that? Your going is not an option! What if something were to happen to you?”
“What if something were to happen to you Tom? Life is about taking risks, not about sitting back and letting the men do work! Please Tom, I can do more than cook, wash clothes, there is another side to me - the Took side, and you know I could cope on the journey! I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I didn’t go.” Melody said taking Tom’s hand.
Tom sighed “Well knowing you there is no way I am going to be able to stop you from going. So even though I am not happy with you going, I am going to have to let you come on the journey with us.” Tom smiled, “But I will be watching you like a hawk!”
There was silence in the room nothing but the sound of the flames crackle in the fire place. Melody and Tom both sat looking at each other. Tom reached over to Melody and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. He leaned forward, slowly moving towards her, the fire from the fire place reflected in his eyes making them sparkle like they did before. knock knock, Melody sprang from her seat and straightened her skirt. “Uh, one moment please” She shouted. Melody opened the door and there stood a tall, blonde hobbit. What is his name? Uh, Celic... no, uh, Cedric! Melody chuckled to herself. “Please come in, Cedric” Melody said, closing the door as quickly as possible. It was a very cold day and the rooms were cold enough.
“What brings you here?” Tom asked. He stood up from his chair to great Cedric. Melody smiled nervously. He wont think anything of Tom and I, will he? Well we weren’t doing anything. We are old time friends, that’s all. Melody told herself. She went to the kitchen to boil some water while Cedric and Tom talked about the journey and plans they had.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:21 PM January 17, 2004: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 01-18-2004, 09:55 AM   #14
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tom watched Melody as she walked out of the room to answer the door. Maybe she just doesn't like me in that way. Tom thought to himself getting the wrong end of the stick on the way Melody reacted. He liked Melody from a rather young age, but because Tom wasn’t a very expressive person, no one really realised how much he felt about her and how much he cared for her safety.

Melody walked back into the room followed by Cedric. “Ah Cedric, it is good to see you here. Take a seat if you will,” Tom said as he stood up to greet him. Melody stood there with a nervous smile on her face and Tom Knew why.

“I’ll go and make some tea,” Melody said as she walked off to the kitchen at an unusually fast pace.

“What brings you here?” Tom asked Cedric as he sat down.

“Well, if you wish to know the truth I came to see how Melody was. Don’t you think you treated her a bit too harshly earlier today at the meeting?” Tom just looked at Cedric sharply with his piercing eyes and thought he was slightly rude for saying that. He took a deep breath, realizing that Cedric was probably right.

“I suppose your right to an extent Cedric. I have come to a decision, though, to let Melody, Ivy and Estelle come on the journey if they wish. But I only shouted at Melody because I fear for her safety and if anything was to happen to her I don’t know what I’d do with myself.” There was a short silence. “Anyway,” started Tom trying to change the subject. “You are still coming on the journey aren’t you? I trust you will be saying your goodbyes to your family soon. As he said this Melody walked into the room with the tea and placed it on the table. Tom and Cedric thanked her and she sat in the chair next to Tom.

“To be honest,” said Cedric taking a sip of his tea. “I’ve already spoken to my mother earlier today just before I came round. She isn’t taking the news about this quest very well at all. I wish she would stop worrying about me and treat me like the grown up hobbit that I am.”

“You should think yourself lucky Cedric. At least you actually have a family to worry about you,” said Tom while in deep thought about his parents, he wondered often if they were even still alive. He stood up and looked out the window. It was a cold evening. “It’s getting late. I best be off now. Farewell and have a good evening Cedric,” said Tom.

Melody sprang out of her seat. “I’ll show you to the door,” she said to Tom. They walked together to the door of her dwelling without speaking and she opened it for him.

“Thank you. And I’ll see you tomorrow,” Tom said to Melody.

“Goodbye,” she said smiling. Tom looked at her and lifted a gentle smile upon his face and turned round, went out the door and started to make his way back to his Hobbit hole.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:57 PM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: Phervasaion ]
Old 01-18-2004, 02:17 PM   #15
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

When Melody had left, Ivy decided to wander about again. She looked around at the beautiful snow everywhere. Everyone seems to hate the snow, but it’s just so beautiful. Oh, if only the crops weren’t freezing over! she thought in vain. Wrapping her cloak about her, she proceeded to head back over to the river. She felt drawn to it, for a reason she could not guess. At times, she would stand at its bank, watching the sheet of ice that was once a river for as long as she could withstand the cold. Ivy pondered about the meeting. We’ll get to go. Melody will have her way, it’s just the way things work.

As she came closer to the river, she saw a few figures standing close to the banks where would be her usual standing place. They seemed a bit taller than hobbits, wider, and had long beards. Ivy immediately recognized the figures to be dwarves. She wondered what brought dwarves to their beloved Shire, and moreover, why they were taking up her usual spot. In any event, Ivy continued walking over to the bank, now hoping that she might hear any news from the dwarves. She was curious to hear anything she could about how life outside the Shire would fare in such a fateful winter.

When at last she reached the Brandywine, she acknowledged the dwarves with a nod, and stood looking out at the river. She stood listening to the dwarves consult amongst themselves intently. At last, one of the dwarves walked up to Ivy. He had a long dark beard, and wore a heavy green cloak to keep out the wind’s icy bite.

“Are you Ivy Burrows?” the dwarf asked her. Ivy turned and was taken aback by this. She spoke slowly.

“Yes, and who might you be?” she asked cautiously.

“Who I am is not of importance to you,” the dwarf said in a hurried tone, “I have heard word that you and a band of other Halflings plan to head out towards Rivendell.”

At this Ivy was even more taken aback. News spread quickly in the Shire, but she had no idea it spread so quickly as to reach the ears of the dwarves.

“You heard right.” She replied, trying to act as if she wasn’t too concerned with the dwarves.

“Then you are in danger.” The dwarf proceeded to tell her what sort of danger that crossed the paths to Rivendell. Ivy immediately dropped her nonchalant act, and seemed to cling to every word the dwarf told her.

“A group of Orcs and warg riders stand between here and Rivendell.”

For a great while, Ivy spoke to the dwarves, who had taken Ivy aside as not to be seen by any other passing hobbits. The cold seemed to seep into Ivy’s flesh and down to her bones, and worsened with all the dangers that she learned about. The dwarves bade Ivy to keep the others from setting out until the Orcs and Wargs were removed from their path, but Ivy knew that could not be done.

“But we can’t wait any longer. The crops are all frozen over, and we’re running short on supplies as it is. We must set out and retrieve supplies, before the young ones begin to starve! What can we do?” Ivy ranted and wished that the dwarves would perhaps give her another means of collecting supplies safely. The dwarves told Ivy that if the Shire was in such need of supplies, to head for Bree.

“Be wary though, the Orcs may move closer to the Shire. Set out as soon as you can, and return quickly!” he told Ivy.

The dwarves were soon off, and Ivy still hadn’t the slightest idea who the dwarves were. She was left staring at the Brandywine, thoughts flooding her mind, and she wondered what could be done. Surely if I tell Tom and the others about this, they’ll never let us come along. But I can’t just let them set out to Rivendell without them knowing about the Warg riders…

The cold seemed to have no affect on her anymore; she was too deep in thought. She soon resolved with herself to tell Melody, and call an emergency meeting. As she got ready to head back to Melody’s house, the cold suddenly sunk in. She felt numb all over and her face stung in the winter breeze. She walked back as quickly as she could, and knocked feebly on Melody’s door.

When Melody answered, Ivy fell inside, and down on her knees right in the doorway. Melody rushed to get her blankets and a bit of tea, and relieve her of the cold. Ivy could feel little, but she could smell the fresh aroma of the tea, and she gladly sipped at the warm liquid. When at last she regained feeling, Ivy noticed that both Cedric and Tom were there. Tom had passed Ivy on the way to his hobbit hole, and turned round when he heard her collapse. She shifted uneasily, Well, they’ll find out anyway, I might as well tell them right off as well. She proceeded in telling all three of them about her discussion with the dwarves, describing every word said. It was indeed a long tale, and the faces of Melody and the others seemed to turn worried with every passing moment.

“We should call another meeting, Tom. It wouldn’t be right to take the others along without them knowing.” Ivy finished at last.

She breathed a sigh of relief. It was out of her hands now, and she sank into her seat with the blankets piled atop herself, and hoped that Tom would not decide that the ladies could not venture out with them.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:19 PM January 18, 2004: Message edited by: ElenCala Isil ]
Old 01-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #16
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Just when Tom had left and Melody came back to him, and was just about to sit down again it as knocked on the door. Melody ran up again and rushed to the door. Cedric also rose up but didn't rush as much as Melody did. When Cedric reached the outer door he saw Ivy, wearing a lot of blankets around her, and Tom, again, at the doorstep. And Tom seemed very indignant. Ivy seemed like she had faced great danger.

"What have happened?" Cedric said with panic in his voice.

"I think it's better if everyone come inside" Melody said and tried to be calm.

"Yes, it's very important" Tom said and had an hard look at his face.

All of them went inside and Ivy seemed to wake up again. She looked at both Tom and Cedric. She sipped some of her tea that Melody had brought to her.

"Tell us, what have happened Ivy?" Melody said.

Ivy told them all from the start when she had met the dwarf that had warned them of the orcs and wargs at the borders of The Shire. She also suggested a new emergency meeting.

Cedric got very upset and almost got paniced. He rose up from his chair and said, "There's no time to waste. We must have the meeting now and decide what to do."

"Calm down Cedric!" Tom said and the power of his voice made Cedric sit down again. Melody that had been sitting quiet and looked at them said, "I agree with Cedric, we must hold a meeting with the others. Yet, we mustn't panic, we must calm down and try to solve the problem." Tom nodded and so did Ivy and Cedric.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:27 AM   #17
Gorbadic
Pile O'Bones

Boots

Gorbadic walked away from leaning on Merimac and walked over to the kitchen. He licked his lips and thought about what they had to eat. Gorbadic walked over to a medium sized bowl and found it full of roasted mushrooms. His eyes grew big and his mouth flew open when he saw this. He reachd down and grabed about five of them and stuffed them into his right pocket for later. He reached for them again and grabed three more and shoved them into his mouth one by one. This is so good. Why cant I have this everyday? He wondered this but quickly forgot it. He walked out of the kitchen with a smile on his face and no longer complaining about his back.

"Im starving can a friend get anything for his poor belly?"
Gorbadic smiled inoccently and crossed his arms over his chest. He walked over to the table he was at before and sat down in a nice wooden chair. He began to slouch like he always does but then remembered what happened to him awhile ago in the other chair. He straightened up and quickly fetched a mushroom from his pocket and stuck it into his mouth without being noticed by anyone. He chewed it up and closed his eyes and injoyed every bite that he made into it.

Gorbadic stretched his arms up in the air and yawned loudly. He smacked his lips together and brung his arms back down on to the table top. He got up and walked over to Merimac slowly but didn't look at him, he kinda walked sideways. When he ends up standing by Merimac he raised up an arm and smacked it upon Merimac's back. He did all of this with a smile on his face.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:35 AM January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Gorbadic ]
Old 01-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #18
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Tolkien

Daisy

The road over to Melody's hobbit hole wasn't long. And it was even shorter as Daisy was walking carrying her good news. Her parents, who Daisy had thought were dependant on her presence at all times, had said that it was alright if she'd go off to get supplies. They had in fact been quite positive with that idea. Daisy however had begged them to tell her what they really thought of her going on this journey, but they had insisted that this was what they really thought.

When that was said and Daisy had been jumping around while her face was one in all one wide smile.

Daisy knocked on the door. She could hear hobbit steps hurrying over to the floor to open it. Melody's face was quite pale as she opened, and Daisy could hear that she had visitors. "Melody..." Daisy said and smiled. "Daisy!" Melody said enthusiastically, she too smiling. If faded away soon though. "Come in come in.....too cold to be outside dear..." Melody said as she saw that Daisy was shivering even though she was wearing her thickest coat.

"Oh thank you...I wont keep you up long" Daisy muttered. Her cheeks were all red because of the biting cold outside. "No..no it's alright. I have just made some tea...if you want some, I mean." Melody continued. There was something in her face though, that made Daisy worried. It was if there was something wrong.

"Oh, that's very kind of you...thanks." Daisy said and took of her coat. The two of them went further into the hallway. "Everything alright?" daisy asked Melody when she saw that there were already three Hobbits sitting there with a cup of tea in their hands. It was Ivy, Tom and Cedric. Ivy looked rather shook up, while Tom had an empty expression in his face. Cedric...was just..Cedric.

"Yeah....but Ivy here just had a horrible..." Melody didn't even get to finish her sentence before Tom was talking. "....she met a dwarf.." Tom said. "He told her that there were orcs and wargs at the borders of The Shire." He continued. Daisy gazed. "Wargs? Orcs? Here?" She muttered while she seated. "Yes....and now we're thinking of having an emergency meeting..." Melody said.

It was silent for a moment where none of the Hobbits said a thing. They sipped their tea once in a while but still, no words.

Finally, Melody rose to refill their cups. "So, why are you here daisy?" She asked while she gave Daisy some more tea. "Oh I'm sorry..." Daisy muttered and blushed. "Actually I was here to tell you that my parents said it was okay for me to go with you on this journey to get supplies. They were actually quite positive with the idea." Daisy said and smiled.

"But that's great!" Melody exclaimed. "I guess its settled then" She continued now looking at Tom. What would he think about it?

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:11 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 01-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #19
Gorbadic
Pile O'Bones

Boots

Gorbadic looked at Merimac after hitting him on the back and grinned. He now walked over to the table but heard something, something about Rivendell. "What do you mean we cant go to Rivendell."
Gorbadic looked around with a twisted face. He let out a sigh and shruged. "What are we gonna do then, huh? We need the food and supplies. We are gonna just have to get them from somewhere else. Any suggestions at all?"
Gorbadic was obviously mad. He was looking forward for an adventure or something. He kicks a pot that was on the floor because someone had dropped it there. The pot flew across the room and had hit the wall.

Gorbadic sat down in his wooden chair and tapped his fingers on the table. His nerves were shot. "What am I gonna do now? I am hungry and almost out of stinking food. I suggest we go to Gondor maybe?"
Gorbadic shruged and got up and walked around all restless like. He walked back into the kitchen and lowered his head.
"Wargs. I hate those Wargs. If its not one thing its another with them." He straightened up and walked out of the kitchen with now a plain face on.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:16 AM January 28, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-22-2004, 01:39 PM   #20
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The room was scented with the sprigs of pine that had been thrown on the fire in an effort to conserve firewood. They danced, and twisted merrily, and sent off sparks like tiny fire works.

Estelle sat close to the fire, but not so close as to block the others, or to let on that she was chilled to the bone. The second meeting was called quite abruptly, for Ivy had important news to tell. Now the small company of Hobbits sat huddled around Melody's fireplace, as they waited for someone to speak.

All were there except for Tom, Melody, and Ivy, and judging by the muffled voices coming from the next room, they were trying to settle something before Ivy told whatever news she had.

Suddenly the three truants who had called the emergency meeting rushed in to the room at once.

"I am sorry to have to desturb you lot again," said Tom, "as I know that we all have a lot to prepare for the journy at hand. But something has come to our attention about the road to Rivendell..."

Melody, Tom, and Ivy, took turns explaining what Ivy had heard learned from the passing dwarves, each repeating one another several times.

"Well, Rivendell... That's not the best place to set out to anyhow," said one hobbit. " I mean who do we know that's even been there? Might be no more than a fairy tale..."

Some of the other hobbits now joined in with agreement, only to be met with the arguements of those who belived the old tales. This won't do at all... Thought Estelle. This is becoming a debate on lore. If things go on like this any longer we will forget the purpose of our meeting.

"Well real or not," said Estelle, who had decided to put the group back on track . "The road to Rivendell will be too dangerous if we can find it at all. But we cannot just abandon our purpose, so what shall we do?"
Old 01-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #21
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

Ivy tried to explain correctly what had happened with her encounter with the dwarf, but it seemed that every time she tried to continue, Tom or Melody cut her off and explained what she had told them so far. She sighed and looked at the others. The look on Estelle’s face was enough for Ivy to know what she was thinking, and at that notion, the dwarf’s suggestion to make for Bree suddenly sprang to mind. There’s no way that we can go to Rivendell, that much is clear now…I suppose it’s time to tell the others about Bree.

Once more Ivy lifted up her voice to speak ‘Um…guys, I think there’s something I should tell you…’ It was a failed attempt, and after repeating the same various times, being cut off every time, Ivy became a bit annoyed. Now there was loud chattering, and debate going on about what to do now. At last, Ivy could stand it no longer, and she shouted. ‘STOP!!’

Her voice was so loud, that everyone immediately stopped talking and looked at Ivy awkwardly. She smiled a weak smile and hesitated a moment. Tom looked at her, expecting to say something. Ivy cleared her throat and began.

‘Okay, I need to tell you all something more the dwarf told me. This one time, no interruptions, please?’

Tom nodded and motioned for her to continue. ‘Go on,’ said Melody in a soft voice.

‘Well, I think it’s pretty clear that we can’t go to Rivendell anymore, but the dwarf did tell me that there was a different road we could take – one that leads to Bree.’

Ivy was relieved to get that out, and sighed. She leaned against a wall, and waited for the others to reply. There were a few moments of silence, which made Ivy twitch uncomfortably. As last, Tom spoke, ‘Why didn’t you tell us this before, Ivy?’

Ivy smiled sheepishly and replied in a small voice, ‘I tried to.’

She withdrew herself from the immediate crowd of hobbits who were now talking amongst themselves about going to Bree. She sat in a chair near the edge of the room, and sighed yet again, waiting for an immediate response. The suspense was killing her, and she couldn’t wait until the decision was made, and they would set off.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:20 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: ElenCala Isil ]
Old 01-23-2004, 12:11 PM   #22
Gorbadic
Pile O'Bones

Boots

Gorbadic walked over to the fire place and stared into the fire next to Ivy. He looked over to her and patted on the back. "I know you cold, i can tell. He offered her a blanket nearby but she rejected it. He nodded and walked over to the table and grabed a chair then brung it over to the fire place. He sat in it and looked around. he watched as Ivy tried to tell the peple something. And after the shout she let out he covered his ears trying to block out the sound.

After hearing the news about Bree and stood up and walked over to Ivy. "Why didnt you tell us earlier?" He asked with annoyed voice. He walked over to Tom and leaned against the wall next to him and says.."When are we gonna leave now?" Gorbadic asked. He yawned loudly from the boredom that flew around the room like a pesky fly.

Gorbadic patted Tom's back and walked away. he walked over to the chair and sat in it while stareing into the fire.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:16 AM January 28, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-23-2004, 05:41 PM   #23
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Melody joined the gathered and talking hobbits. Ivy sat at the side of the group, not wanting to have much to do with the conversation, as she was still far too shaken and cold to even think, let alone chat. The talking was now slowly becoming less talking and more arguing, fighting. Melody stood up. “Alright, everyone! Enough.” She tapped her foot impatiently on the ground.
The room quieted down when the hobbits saw the angry expression on Melody’s face.
”We can’t go to Rivendell, we can't. So it's not even an option. I vote we take the road to Bree! It sounds safer... it might not be, but it’s the best chance we’ve got,” said Melody.

There was a long pause; the silence was maintained as everybody sat and thought. Tom paced the room nervously, waiting for a reply or even a noise.
One of the hobbits looked up “Well, I say we go using the Bree road!” Others piped up, chiming in to voice their opinions, more seeming to lean towards Melody’s idea than the initial one.
“Well, if you disagree, don’t bother coming along! I would like us all to come home alive, with the supplies, and if going to Rivendell will prevent that, then I don’t want to take the chance,” Tom explained. He was in one of his serious and very motivated moods.

It was decided, after a couple more minutes of discussion, that they would take the road to Bree to get the food supplies. Some were content with this decision; others not so much. Finally, all the hobbits wandered homewards, except for Tom, Ivy and Daisy. Melody insisted that they stay for more tea. She hated being left alone in her home, because it was cold and she thought too much when alone. She loved serving on others, making tea... for that matter, anything to do with having- and entertaining- company.

They all sat and sipped their warm tea, which was now running short. Melody had made a mushroom pie which each guest got a slice of. Melody was short on many things, mushrooms, flour, tea, and the ingredients for cake batter. She was starting to get worried and knew that the journey had to happen soon. She walked into the sitting area carrying more twigs for the fire.
”I think we should leave soon," Melody said, looking at Tom. Ivy and Daisy nodded.
“When will we leave, Tom?” Ivy asked with a worried expression.
“How about two days from now? That will give us time to pack and get the needed supplies for the journey,” Melody said, adding the twigs to the crackling fire. "I also heard that we are having a going away party. I have no idea who is throwing it, but I think it is a good idea. It will be good encouragement and something for us to look forward to!" Melody said with a slight smile on her face. She loved going to parties, any occasions as long as there was food and pints.

Tom laughed, one Melody hadn’t heard in a while and then he said "Well, I think it is a great idea! And yes, we shall leave in two days time! And we will have to tell the others." With that Tom stood up, and so did the rest. Melody’s heart sank: they were leaving.

"Let me get your coats for you!" Melody insisted, rushing off to the coat hanger. They all left at once: not even one hobbit stayed, as it was getting late. Melody watched them walk off, disappearing one by one into the empty whiteness of the snow.

She walked back inside and closed the door. I wish I knew how Tom felt about me. I will express my feelings to him, one day, not long from now... Melody thought to herself.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:46 PM January 23, 2004: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 01-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #24
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hob opened the door of his home and was immediately hit by a wall of warmth, into which he gladly stepped. His father was sitting in a chair next to the roaring fire, quietly talking to his wife whom he was sitting opposite. Hob could only see his mother's hand on the arm rest of the chair and some curly greying hair over the top of the back of the chair. 'Ignore the colour' Hob thought to himself, his mother's skin was far too pale, 'And she's really not that bony.' Unfortunately for him, he could think that all he wanted but still not be able to ignore the fact that it was not the truth, she was far too skinny for a hobbit, or any other creature. His father jumped up from his seat to welcome his son in, grinning like a child who has found a penny.

"You're back! What did they say? What's happening?" Hob smiled innocently at his father.

"But daddy darling, surely you already know?" Hob was given a look that told him, no, his father didn't know. "I really am at a loss as to how you knew about that meeting in the first place. You come bursting in here telling me to get myself to that hole and lo and behold there's some sort of meeting there."

"Well, you know your father." Said Lilly, Hob's Mother, "He's better at picking up information than even the most practiced vilage gossips." her husband waved a dismissive hand at her and turned back to their son, nearly bouncing with excitement, he had always wanted to go on an adventure when he was a young boy and was anxious that his son got to enjoy such an opportunity, though he knew Hob's reason for going was soley to help the rest of the Shire.

"So, come along, what was said? What's going on?"

"Well," started Hob, "I have some good news, we aren't going-"

"Aren't going!" cried his father in disbelief. "How can you not be going? The Shire will starve! You cannot back out now! You just march yourself right back down there and tell them that you will all HAVE to go!" He began pushing his son back out of the door.

"But dad-" Protested Hob.

"No no no! Don't you 'but dad' me! I will not have you backing out, we need food son, if you hadn't noticed!" Hob pushed his father away, a little harder than he would usually and sent him stumbling backwards.

"Dad, I KNOW! You didn't let me finish! We are not going to Rivendell, we are going to Bree instead so we shall hopefully be quicker and there should be less dangers!" There was a short silence following, during which Hob's father gained a slight pink tinge around his cheeks. After an apology Hob smiled amusedly and shut the door. He took his coat off and hung it on a peg, where the snow began to melt and gather in a puddle on the floor.

Hob walked into the kitchen where some attempts at dinner had been made, but were mostly abandoned, probably due to a particularly hard coughing fit on his mother's part. He found a bowl of runner beans and picked up a handful, they were old and tough and uncooked, but they were better than the apples. He wandered back into the living room and sat down in the chair recently vacated by his father.

"Oh Hob, what are you eating?" asked Lilly in an exhasperated manner.

"Beans." Said Hob simply, showing them to her. "I'm not going to wait around for you to cook them if they're perfectly edible anyway.

"Strange child." said Lilly "You never were satisfied with what was put on the table, always wanted more!"

"I don't seem to remember you ever complaining."

"I'd rather a ball of lard for a son than a skeleton."

"Well, a ball of lard is what you got. Well done." said Hob, patting his still slightly rounded belly. Lilly smiled at her son, who laughed back.

"You've done a lot today Hob what with all your wood cutting and walking and talking and what-have-you, you should go relax."

"A very good idea." he said, "Dad!" he yelled at his father who was in a different room, "I'm going to have a bath!"

"Don't use too many logs for your fire! You shouldn't have a bath too often you know!" came the answering voice.

"This is the first time in two and a half weeks!" Hob shouted back.

"So that was the smell!" Hob rolled his eyes. As predictable as it was, Hob would miss his dad's humour.

Lilly watched her son leave for the bathroom. He seemed so happy at home, but around other people he was so quiet, people seemed to steer clear of him, as though he carried some kind of disease. Perhaps the journey would help him to make friends again, because he'd not always been as secluded as he now was. He knew how to make friends, he just wouldn't and it annoyed Lilly to see that her son was doing that to himself. She'd take him out to see other hobbits if only she didn't have that damn illness. As if it knew what she was thinking, her cough attacked with violence, her whole body was convulsing and her throat was being rubbed raw. Her husband rushed in to help her, but the fit had already passed. He rubbed her back in soothing circles and she smiled at him.

"Better?" He asked, his voice stringed with worry for her.

"Yes, thank you, a drink would be nice though." She watched her husband hurry into the kitchen with a frown, she might not make it, by the time Hob came back with the food and medicine and everything else she needed, it might already be too late. But she decided she shouldn't let that worry her. What would happen would happen and she was in no place to stop it.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #25
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Tom walked away from Melody’s house thinking about what he would need to take on this journey. “Well,” he said to himself. “I’ll need a supply of food and water to last quite a few days… The problem is where to find the food.” The thought of food made Tom stray from going on the journey and onto the idea of this ‘surprise party’. Tom laughed to himself. “I don’t know how much of a party it will be with the shortage of food at the moment.”

He made his way up the path of his home, opened the door and slowly walked into the hallway. It had been a long day for Tom, and as many of the other Hobbits needed, was in need of some rest. He hung his coat up on the peg next to the door and staggered over to his bed almost falling over from exhaustion.

“Hmm… I best start to pack my things tomorrow.” He said while clambering into bed. His switched off his light and straight away fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning he awoke to the noise of someone knocking at his door. Tom opened his eyes and looked out the window; the sun was already high in the sky. “Oh no I’ve over slept,” Tom said when he realized the time. He hated sleeping never mind oversleeping, he felt it was a real waste of time just lying there doing nothing. He heard the knock at his door again.

“Okay I’m coming!” Tom shouted diving out of bed and to his door. He opened it and Melody stood there with a smile on her face.

“It looks like you’ve only just got up,” said Melody looking him up and down.

“Well you’re probably right,” Tom said while inviting her into his hobbit hole. “What brings you here this morning Melody?” He asked.

“Oh. Not much really. I was just popping round to see what sort of things you’d be taking on this journey. The other ladies and I are having some trouble deciding on what to take,” Melody replied.

Tom looked at her with a blank expression. “Oh… Sorry I’m still half asleep. Go into the sitting room while I make some tea for us.” Melody went and sat down next to the table and Tom went into the Kitchen and put the kettle over the fire to boil.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:38 AM   #26
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

As Cedric made his way home from the meeting at Melody's house he began to think about the journey. Maybe he never would come back. Maybe he never would see his mother and friends that he loved again. These thoughts troubled Cedric's mind all the way home to his own Hobbit Hole. When he got inside and closed his outer door, he realized how tired he was. He gasped and walked into his bedroom. I better get some rest, he thought, I must talk to my mother tomorrow about the journey.

Cedric couldn't sleep. He just rolled over from side to side in his bed all the time. After nearly two hours he fell into sleep. He dreamed nightmares about the orcs and the wargs. He had actually never seen an orc, nor a warg, but he had heard stories and tales about how terrible they were.

In the middle of the night Cedric woke up. He thought he heard someone outside. He looked out the window at his right side, it was still dark outside. Then heard the noice again. It sounded just like someone knocked and scratched on the window. Cedric heard that the noices came for the hall. He walked to the hall, but nothing was there. He heard it again. He slowly opened the outer door and said "Who's there? And what ever you are, what do you want?" He pulled himself together and took a step outside. No one was there.

Cedric went back to bed and thought he was to nervous and his mind just made up noices for him. The noice stopped and he fell asleep again. When it was almost lunch time he woke up again. Now he felt relieved that the sun was up. He went up and made some breakfast. He sat down with a warm cup of tea in his most comfortable armchair he had in his livingroom and began to think of what he should bring on the journey.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:15 AM January 28, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-31-2004, 05:12 PM   #27
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Melody sat down on a chair in the living room. Tom’s house was warm and cosy, he had good taste. Melody sat and admired the painting she so loved on the wall, it was of a beautiful, green valley full of lush trees and with the bluest sky she ever had seen, it reminded her of the summers the Shire hadn't seen for so long, she had admired that painting for years. Tom placed a cup of warm tea on the table; he pulled up a chair and sat next to Melody. “So, how are you feeling about the journey?” Tom asked.
”Good, I guess. I am rather excited but still, very nervous”
”Oh yes, I feel the same”
An awkward silence filled the room. Melody stood up and dusted off her dress “Uh, can I see what you have packed?”
”Well” Tom paused and smiled sheepishly, “I haven't quite packed yet.”
”Oh Tom," Said Melody shaking her head and rolling her eyes, "That doesn’t surprise me at all!” She paused and thought on Tom's typical behaviour for a bit. “Well I am off to bake a batch of cookies to take on the journey, I’ll see you later” Melody said with a huge smile on her face. She was unusually happy and excited today.

Melody went home and made her own special cookie dough that she had come up with herself, after much experimenting. She was known for making delicious choc chip cookies and what would be lovelier than taking a whole batch of cookies with her on the journey for those blue moments which would undoubtedly come? Melody made sure once more that everything was packed. She planned on getting an early night so she could do what ever was needed to be done the next day and get ready for the small going away party.

The next morning Melody stumbled out of bed. It was so cold inside there was ice on the inside of the windows and Melody didn’t even wish to know how cold it was outside. She looked out of the window, misted by ice crystals, and saw white, nothing but white. The huge tree outside her window used to be green with huge pink flowers growing on it but now it was covered in snow and miserable, like the rest of the Shire. Melody hadn’t seen a bird for many weeks, not even the little robin that used to live in the garden.

She spent the rest of the day running a few errands, making cookies and doing as much as possible to make the day exciting, the last thing she wanted was for it to be dull. Melody took out her favourite green dress which had small white lily patterns around the hem. She had made the dress herself and was proud to wear it. She only wore it on special occasions though, because she didn't want to rip it. Once she was ready for the party she walked over to Tom’s house.

Melody knocked briskly on Tom’s door, desperate to come in from the biting cold. “Coming!” Tom shouted from across the passage. He opened the door and was stunned to see how Melody looked, he always had liked the green dress but she today looked extra special, even though she was hopping from foot to foot in a most undignified manner to keep the cold away. “Are you going to let me in or will you let me freeze to death?” Melody said jokingly.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 6:12 PM January 31, 2004: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 01-31-2004, 07:13 PM   #28
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Ivy did not make any attempt to hurry and get her things packed for the journey. She had planned things aforetime, hoping that it would come to be one day that she would be chosen to go on an adventure. As she reached her hole, she looked around to see the soft, pallid blankets of snow piled up high all around the Shire. She sighed, and walked in.

The fire kindled and warmth seeped into the air about her home. It was a simple hole, nothing too special about it, and it had been the same way for years. In fact the only thing remotely different about her home was the small bundle set beside the door. Well, my packing has been done for a long time, now. I guess I should see how the others are faring. She looked around her modest home, and decided to delay visiting the others until after having a light meal.

Ivy suddenly stood from the table where she was sat, and grabbed a mushroom. She stuffed it into her mouth, and then made her way towards the coat rack. Piling on her heaviest jacket, she set out into the frosty outside once more. She planned to go and see how Melody was doing, and if she needed any help, but as she was well on her way, she found that her feet were not leading her to Melody’s home, but instead back to the river, where she had first met the dwarf. Without even thinking, she sat down against the bole of a tall tree. In the summer it was a sight to behold. Naturally, its beauty did not compare to that of the party tree, but by this tree had always been Ivy’s favourite spot to read, or have picnics at. She placed her hand on the tree, it seemed lifeless. She looked up to see its bare branches, adorned with only rigid spikes of ice and snow clinging to its outstretched fingers. ‘If only the cool wind of winter did not make you wither so!’ Ivy spoke aloud to the tree. ‘Why must such a beautiful season bring such misery to everybody?’ Ivy had always been fond of winter, but she was pained to see how it affected everything, everyone.

Ivy sat for a while, her coat wrapped snugly about her, and pondered about the journey. The possibilities of finding the same dangers on the road to Bree as the one that lead to Rivendell for the most part didn’t bother her, but the chill did. She wondered how the group was going to make it even to Bree with such weather, much less attempt a journey back. But we have to try, she thought, trying to push away her pessimistic views of the whole situation. We have to bring supplies back to the Shire, and we will. What a pity we aren’t going to Rivendell! I wonder what the elves are like.

Ivy looked about to see a small figure heading her way. She quickly resolved that it would be a good time to head back to her home for the night. She walked briskly back to her home, and once inside, she lit the fire and warmed her hands. Oh, Ivy! You forgot to check on Melody and the others! she said to herself, as she suddenly remembered Melody. ‘I suppose I’ll have to do that tomorrow.[/i] she said as she peered out her window at the dark sky.

After having a bit of cake and tea, Ivy retired to her bed. Her sleep was empty, and not a dream interrupted her long slumber. When at last she had awoken, the sun was high in the chilled sky. She darted out of bed, and started up the fire once more. Then she made her breakfast, and ate it happily, trying not to think that she hadn’t much food left in her pantry, and that her cupboards were bare.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #29
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merimac, having packed earlier than the others, passed the day pacing back and forth in his not-as-snug-as-he-had-thought hobbit hole. He'd spent some time talking with his friend Gorbadic, but he had gone off to pack for the journey ahead. Meri decided that he may as well check his things, and so unpacked then repacked his over-sized travelling bag. He put the remaining food from his larder into his bag, leaving some for the time remaining before they set out for Bree.

Rivendell, thought Meri. I suppose I shall never step foot in that fair place, or ever see an elf. But at least I'm doing my part to help the Shire! He smiled slightly and chuckled. Him, going on an adventure! A real adventure! He was quite worried about the dangers of the journey though. He'd never actually fought properly before. What if he turned out to be a really bad fighter? How would he help protect the others? What if anyone was killed?

Meri put these morbid thoughts out of his mind by packing, then re-packing his supplies. He nibbled on one of his few remaining mushrooms, then stood up suddenly. How could he have forgotten? He ran to a small room at the back of his hobbit hole, nearly falling over in his haste, and lifted one of the floorboards carefully. There, in a beautifully carved wooden box, was a secret supply of pipe weed he had been hiding since before the snows began. He had completely forgotten about it. He reached for his pipe but stopped. There was not much left true, but it could be shared. He placed the box carefully in a pocket in his waistcoat next to his pipe. Perhaps he would share it with Tom and Gorbadic, and the others too if there was enough, before they left.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:50 PM   #30
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Sting

After his short breakfast Cedric began to pack his things he might need on the journey. He picked up his finest pipe from a wooden box that he had under his bed. I hope I will have time for this, he thought and put it in his backpack. He also packed down extra clothes, rope, all the food he could find, some kitchen equipment like knives and pots. When he had packed te most of these things he walked over to the fireplace. He took up a long knife that he had beside the fireplace. He lifted it up, and started swinging it in the air. It was light and it was very sharp. If there will be orcs and wargs around, I am ceratinly going to need this. He also picked up a short hunting bow and a few arrows that had been his fathers. He was very interested in archery. Now, the biggest problem remained. To tell his mother about all the dangers that had came to their knowledge. He scratched himself in the head and tried to think of a way to tell her. He decided to go to her and tell her right away, after all he was a grown up hobbit now, and he should follow his own paths, even if it wasn't the right path.

Just when he was about to leave and walk to his mother, he took notice of his old hammock. It was filled with the pouderwhite snow and the pear trees that were planted beside looked like they were dead. They had always been giving him good pears when he was laying in the hammock and maybe read a book. He smiled for himself as the memories of the warm summer came back to him.

"What are you smiling at?" his neighbour Crystal said and seemed like she was going to laugh at him.

"Me? Ehrm, nothing?" Cedric said as he woke up from his day dreaming and coughed.

"Are you leaving to reach Bree for supplies?" She asked and her voice became more serious and sad.

"Yes, but I don't know when." Cedric said and looked down at his feets.

"You better take care of yourself." Crystal said and her voice sounded very serious.

"I will" Cedric said very shortly.

They took a short farewell of each other and Cedric started to walk to his mother. Maybe this is not such a good idea anyway, he thought as he made his way to his mothers hobbit hole.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:51 PM   #31
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Tolkien

Daisy

Daisy was starting to panic. There were so much to do and prepare before she left, and so little time. She had to make sure that her parents would be taken care of by her two sisters while she was gone. As she thought of this, she realised that maybe, just maybe she wasn't coming back at all. It frightened her a bit, because she loved the Shire and her parents, and she knew it would devastate them if she didn't make it back home. They were already worried!

But then again, hopefully they would know that she had done this for the Shire, and the people. Then again, she knew her parents wouldn't think like that; they would think about their lost daughter. These were indeed a bit selfish thoughts, Daisy thought. Of course they'll manage without me, she said to herself as she walked over to the kitchen. She was going to make some breakfast and then she would continue packing.

"Daisy dear..?" a thin voice cried. "Yes, mum..?" Daisy asked and went out of the kitchen. She knew it was her mother because of the very thin and low voice. Daisy’s mother was quite old, and both she and Daisy’s father needed help with most things. "Could you help me with this?" she asked as she saw Daisy appear.

She was knitting, but was obviously stuck. She handed Daisy the knitting needles. "Of course I'll help." Daisy muttered and smiled while she took them trying to concentrate. Daisy had always been very good at these thing, knitting and sewing. She loved to do it as well, and she had learned form the very best; her mother. When she was younger she could sit up once every now and then and sew or knit until she fell asleep. The next morning her sisters, or her parnets, would find her asleep in a chair while holding a tight grip around her makings.

"Here you are..!" Daisy said enthusiastically and smiled. She was about to turn around heading back for the kitchen she heard her mother again;" What will we do without you?" She asked Daisy as her eyes went blank.

"Ohm you'll manage..." daisy said and looked at her mother grievously. "And besides, I'll only be away for a while..." She added, even thought she didn't know that for sure.

"So, mom, would you like some breakfast?" Daisy started after both of them had been silent for a while, just looking at each other like strangers. "Yes, that would be great!" She muttered, while looking worried. "It'll be alright..." daisy said and gave her a hug.

"I hope so...."

After Daisy had arranged a small breakfast for her parnets, she started to pack again. It didn't take long before she was finished and ready to go.

"I've arranged that Holly will come and help you around the house three days after my departure. I think you'll manage to be alone for three days, eh?" She said and smiled. "I also think that Holly is bringing her children, so you'll have loads to do while I'm gone...." Daisy continued. "She wrote in her letter that they were thrilled to see their grandparents again!" Daisy added.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:45 AM February 08, 2004: Message edited by: Orofaniel ]
Old 02-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #32
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

“…O...err... Yes, of course you can come in,” Tom said to Melody as she stood there freezing at his door. Tom was wearing his usual suit that he wore when he went out. He looked rather posh but no where near as much as Melody did. “Well…I’m virtually ready so we can set off now if you wish,” said Tom as they both walked into his hole.

“Yes, if you have nothing to do than we might as well go,” she replied. Tom walked over to his coat and took it from the peg and placed it around Melody’s shoulders.

“There. That should keep you warm for the walk down the road,” Tom said warmly to Melody. The party would usually be held outside but due to the cold weather, it took place in a large building just down the road from Tom’s house. Melody thanked Tom for the coat and they both began to walk to the party. They talked a little about the journey and how much danger they may be in on the way, but they were mainly silent.

“Ah. This is the place,” Tom said staring at the building as the approached it. They went in not knowing what to expect, but, to their surprise, there was quite a large amount of food and many hobbits had turned up to give them a fond farewell.

The party already looked well underway as hobbits were already drinking and laughing merrily along as music was being played. Like most hobbit parties were. Tom turned to Melody. “This looks like it may be a good night,” he said. Together, they walked into the main room where Ivy and the other hobbits already were and began to greet them all.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #33
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

‘Here,’ said Prisca, handing Madoc her purple and yellow knit scarf. ‘You’ll need this for your journey.’ He grinned at her and stuffed it in the front pocket of his pack. ‘I’d say you should keep it to keep yourself warm, Prissy – but I know you’ve always hated that scarf.’ Prisca reached over and tucked in the knit gloves that went along with the scarf. ‘I’m sure Aunt Lobelia is quite colorblind! I know she means well, but really, who wants to wear those colors! It looks like a giant bruise when you put it on.’

Madoc’s Mother, Pearl, came over wagging her finger at her two children. ‘Now you two, she did mean well. And it will keep you quite warm, Madoc. That wool came from her own sheep.’ Prisca and Madoc knew well enough when not to argue with their mother. The subject of her sister and her sheep was a sore one. Lobelia having had to use her ‘woolly dears’ as she called them for food. Instead they just said, ‘Yes, Mother,’ then raised their brows at one another as she turned away to fetch him a small packet of dried fruits and one of dried vegetables. ‘Be good for those stews you like to make, son,’ she said, folding the crinkly pieces of parchment round them. ‘That is, if you can bring down any squirrels or birds for a little meat to go with them. You did bring some of your snares didn’t you?’

At last the packing was done – warm clothes, what food stuffs they could spare for him, and a few pans for cooking. He put his pack on his bed and drew on his cloak, giving them both a hug. ‘I’m just going off to meet the others, then I’ll be back to pick up my pack before I go.’ He gave them each a kiss on the cheek and strode off toward the place where the others were gathering. The snow had eased up just a little today, and it was clear enough to have a good view of the countryside as he strode down the road toward Tom Bracegirdle’s house.

He could hear the music as he approached. It was nice he thought. The tunes lifted his spirit. Madoc walked up to the door and stood under the protection of the small porch overhang. He shook the snow from his cloak and stamped the packed snow from his feet. With a gentle push, he opened the door and walked in. Warmth and light and the delicious smell of food hit him all at once. And there on the other side of the room was his cousin, Gorbadic. And over there was the pretty Melody with Tom.

One of the Hobbits handed him a mug of hot tea, pointing to the pegs along side the door where he could hang his cloak. He did so, then walked about the room, greeting friends as he went . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-12-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:58 AM   #34
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Cedric felt sad at the little party, at the same time happy. He was going to leave the Shire that he loved, and his mother that was so worried about him, he was going to miss her. Yet, it annoyed him sometimes that she was so worried. Everyone was happy and some of them sang. His mother seemed to be happy too as she sat and eating pumpkin pie. He smiled to her. She was all Cedric cared about now, he didn't want anything to happen to his mother as she was all he had in the world left. He drew a deep sigh and looked down on is feets and tried to hide his grieve of leaving her. He knew that she didn't like at the same time she did knew that he was grown up now. Not a little lad anymore. He tried to be brave and thought that he choosed his own path, and there was nothing she could do about it. He pulled himself together and took a sip of his tea. Suddenly the door slammed and he looked up. A hobbit he had never seen before entered. That must be Madoc, Gorbadics cousin. I've heard he wanted to join us too. He ran over to Madoc and bowed. "Welcome, you must be Madoc, I am Cedric Cotton! A pleasure to meet you!" He looked up with a smile. "Tea?" Cedric asked and held up a cup for Madoc.

As Madoc came Cedric felt more talkative and much more happier and excited about the journey. He had always had a strange and a worried feeling about it, but it seemed to have fade away as Madoc came. At the moment Cedric felt so much happiness, his mother looked up at him from her pie eating and had a worried look. Cedric did everything to avoid it but he couldn't. Her gaze was as sharp as spears. He said a quick 'Excuse me for a minute' to Madoc and went over to his mothers seat and sat down beside her. "You know I am going to leave, mother! So don't have that look to me!" he whispered in here with annoyment in his voice. Her eyes got dark and her face turned angry. Cedric could see that his mother was angry from the distance of a mile. He had always, even when he was a little lad. "Now you listen to me, young lad!" she said, but tried to whisper. "You are the only one I have left! And you have no idea of how much I care about you!" she said an her eyes got filled with tears, though she didn't cry. "I am sorry mother." Cedric said and hugged her. "But don't worry, I will make it home, I will be back." he said. At least I hope I do , he thought and sighed.

He went back to Madoc and pulled a chair to him. "Here, have a seat" he said and smiled. Cedric sat down in a chair at Madocs left side and put two cups at the table. He held up tea in the two cups and leaned back in the chair and sipped on the tea. "So, Madoc, it will be nice to have you with us!" he said with a smile. "You don't fear the orcs and wargs out there? Have you ever seen any?" he then asked and got curious about Madoc, he had always been curious about everyone. Especially if they had faced dangers and been on adventures. Himself had never been out of the Shire and didn't know anything about fear or danger.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:27 AM   #35
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Madoc watched Cedric as he fussed over his mother. The man’s face was sad and he could see him sigh. Madoc remembered the look on his own mother’s face as he packed his belongings for the trip. Tomorrow he would be leaving for Bree, and he could already see the tears that would stain her cheeks as he hugged her goodbye. Madoc sipped at his tea and sat down at a small table near the fireplace, his feet propped on the raised hearth.

Lost in the wavering figures that marched through the orange embers as he watched the burning logs, Madoc nearly missed Cedric’s approach. A chair was offered the man, and he sat down by Madoc, taking a cup of tea for himself and filling Madoc’s from the pot on the table.

A few pleasant words passed between them; then Cedric leaned forward, asking a question about orcs and wargs. A shiver of fear ran up the Hobbit’s back. ‘I’ve never seen a warg,’ he told Cedric, in a low voice. Being a bit suspicious, he hated to even say the word aloud lest naming them might make them real and present. ‘A few wolves’ tracks and one pair of wolves from a distance,’ he continued. ‘But they were as wary of me as I was of them.’ His voice went even lower as he spoke of orcs. ‘None of those other blighted creatures . . . ever. Nor would I want to.’ He hunched over his tea for a moment, clasping it tightly in his hands. ‘My Da fought in the Battle of Greenfields with Bullroarer Took. Hobbits had the day there, but the orcs fought fiercely.’ He stared into the heart of the flames, seeing the Northfarthing battle as his Uncle told it. ‘Vicious creatures,’ he told Cedric. ‘Killed my Da.’ He raised one eyebrow at the man. ‘Is there talk we might run into such creatures?’

Madoc shook his head, freeing himself of the images. ‘Sorry! Grim thoughts bode ill for our journey’s start, or so my Mother would say.’ He smiled at Cedric and taking the tea pot, topped of both their mugs. ‘I have been to Bree. Have you? An interesting town, though a bit too closed in for my taste, what with its high, dense hedge and dike and gates. Lot of Big Folk there, too. Nice Inn. Stayed there once.’ He sat back in his chair thinking about the Pony’s fine, amber ale. Lovely, he thought, but not as nice as the Shire’s.

He raised his mug to his lips and took a gulp of the sweet, hot tea. ‘What about you, Cedric? Here I’ve gone and talked your ear off. Tell me a little about yourself.’
Old 02-12-2004, 02:10 PM   #36
Fool Of A Took
Haunting Spirit

Cedric Cotton

"They say that dwarves have warned us about orcs and wargs creeping around at the borders of Shire looking for food." Cedric whispered and shrugged. Nasty creatures, he thought. Cedric didn't say anything for awhile, but then got reminded of that he might should tell something about himself.
"Well..." Cedric started, but paused and took another sip of his tea and leaned back. "...Actually I have never been in Bree before." he said and blushed. "My mother has an irongrip around me, she won't let me even leave the Shire until now." he said and looked with an annoyed expression on his face at his mother that now had returned to her pumpkin pie, and didn't pay much attention to the other guests. She was always quiet when she was eating and nothing should disturb her then. Cedric couldn't resist smiling at his mother when he thought about it. His mother looked up and gave him a happy look and then turned to her pie again. "My mother has always been trying to protect me from everything that could cause me harm" he said and then sighed, "My father died when I was little, he drowned while he fished. He loved fishing, he event tried to fish when he was drunk and could barely stand up. And that's how it turned out." He sighed again and now felt sad again. He didn't have much memory of his father, yet he would always remember him as a caring and loving father. "I guess that's why my mother really looks after me, yet I am grown up now!" he continued and his gaze turned to his mother. "She is all I have left..." he said with low voice.

Everyone seemed to have a good time and no one intended to be worried about the journey, with exception of Cedric of course. Though he didn't show it. He didn't want the others to think that he would be a coward and stay home, he wanted to prove for himself, and most of all for his Mother that he was not a little laddie anymore, he could go his own paths now. Whit or whitout her agreement. He tried to intend more mature and sat up more proper in his chair. I will show her! He looked at Madoc that was drinking his tea. "Would you like some cake?" he then asked and looked at the partytable where the cake could be. Ah, there! "Pass the cake this way, please!" Cedric shouted so someone could hear him in the tumult of laughing and talking. "We don't have much left" Melody replied as she passed it to Cedric. "I won't eat it all" Cedric said and grinned to Melody. Cedric's gaze passed the window and he noticed that it was getting dark outside. And it was snowing. Oh no! Not more snow! I am sick and tired of it.

He mumbled something about 'I hate snow' and then served some cake for Madoc. "The winter is OK when it's not chaotic like this, don't you think?" Cedric said to Madoc and pointed out the window.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #37
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivy turned to look out at the rest of the hobbits. It seemed that a few of them were concerned about their loved ones. Ivy sighed. She didn't really have anyone to be worried to death about her, and she didn't really have to worry herself about anyone close to her starving to death in her absence. The person she was closest to, after all, was Melody. It seemed as if everything was all to perfect for Ivy, she hadn't anything to worry about. If they left this very moment she would probably have jumped up and ran most of the way there in her excitement. I guess that's a plus... she thought to herself. In fact, she was so deep in thought, she didn't notice Melody standing in front of her at all.

'Ivy? Ivy! Are you listening?' Melody yelled out in frustration at the fact that Ivy was so oblivious.

'Huh? What? Oh! I'm sorry, I was so deep in thought...what did you say?' Ivy said, smiling sheepishly.

'I asked you if you wanted some more tea, and what are you thinking about?'

Ivy graciously accepted the tea, but would not give but a vague hint as to what she was thinking. 'It's almost time. We'll soon be setting out.' she said, grinning her usual mischievous grin. 'Are you all ready?' Ivy added curiously.

'Well, I still have a bit more to pack. It's so exciting!' Melody ranted with a glance at Tom. 'But you don't suppose we'll find any trouble, do you?'

'I usually do, but let's hope there's no danger on our way!' Ivy said just before biting into a piece of cake. She immediately decided to try and eat more sparingly until they came back sucessfully with supplies.

A sudden feeling took over Ivy's body, and she felt that she wanted to be alone. She couldn't understand why she was feeling so odd as of late, for it most certainly was not her way to draw herself from the middle of a crowd, but she had an ill feeling in her heart. She took Melody aside, into an empty corner of the room.

'Oh, Melody,' she began, 'I don't know why, but I've been having a bad feeling about this journey.'

Melody looked at Ivy incredulously. 'What? But you've always wanted to go on an adventure! You can't be having doubts about it now.'

'I know, but I am worried - not for me, you know that I would risk anything to go on an adventure, but what if we run into the very orcs and wargs the dwarves told me about? They seemed reluctant to give me the alternative of going to Bree. What if they're there? What if we have to fight? Will the others be able to take it?' Ivy said each word, gasping at the thought. She gazed at Melody, her eyes filling with sudden fright, and then she cast her eyes down. 'Don't worry, Melody. I am overreacting. I don't know what's gotten into me, but I'm sure I'll be a-right when we leave. We need entertainment.'

Melody's eyes widened, then she looked skeptically at Ivy. 'What are you on to?' she said, eyeing her warily.

'We need a song, and ale! We 'aven't much left, but this is a good occasion to bring out some of the good wine.' she said, the spark in her eye suddenly coming alight. Melody stood dumbfounded at Ivy's sudden change in mood, and she watched as Ivy summoned for the wine to be brought forth, and she led the hobbits in one of her most favourite drinking songs, learned by her father.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:44 AM   #38
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Daisy at the party

Daisy thought the party had started nice, even though you could seem to feel this tense, but cheerful atmosphere. She thought that most of them were originally quite nervous and anxious, but were hiding them behind party masks and merry laughter. There was also some food and drink, but quite a little. But then again, the Hobbits were going to Bree to get supplies because they barley had some left, so it was understandable.

Daisy sneaked over to the table to get some seedcake before it was eaten up by the other Hobbits. "Hello there Madoc…" She said and smiled. "How are you feeling tonight?" She asked politely and helped herself with some seedcake. "Hello! Isn't it Daisy?" He said and laughed. "I'm excellent..." he then said and smiled. "Hm...That's good." Daisy said and sneezed "..Sorry.." She said and got a tissue. "I'm catching a cold or something....who wouldn't these days?" She said and sighed.

"So, are you anxious about tomorrow?" he asked her as she sneezed again. "Very...Especially since my parents will be alone for some days, before my sister and her children come and help them, I mean. They can't do much themselves any longer...They're starting to get old, you know." Daisy muttered and sighed a little, before she took a bite of her seedcake.

Madoc was also chewing heavily by now.

"I see...." Madoc said finally. "I hope it will work out though....When you come home again, at least they will be happy to see you." Madoc said and smiled. Daisy couldn't do anything but laugh. If I come home..., Daisy thought and sneezed so the entire party looked at her. "Bless you!" One of the others said and the room laughed, as Daisy went red from her head and down to her toes.

Last edited by Orofaniel; 02-17-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #39
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tom’s eyes scanned the room in which the party was being held trying to identify all the hobbits that had turned up. He turned to his left and Melody looked at him. “I’m just going to talk to Ivy for a bit, okay Tom?” Melody asked while walking towards Ivy. Tom just nodded and turned to see Cedric speaking to Madoc, a hobbit which he had not seen before. ‘Hmm’ Tom thought to himself ‘that must be the hobbit that wishes to come along on the journey.’

Tom picked up a cup of tea from the table and walked towards Cedric and Madoc. “Hello good Hobbit friends,” said Tom interrupting the two Hobbits while they were in conversation. “It’s good to see you here Cedric. Having a good time?

“Yes, the party has been good,” Cedric replied. “I’m just a bit sad leaving my family and friends that’s all

“A lot of us here are having those feelings. You just need to think of the party as a good kick start to our journey rather than a sad goodbye to our relatives, that’s all,” Tom said trying to raise the hopes of Cedric. Tom turned to speak to Madoc. “Your Gorbadics cousin,” he began “I can tell by the look you have on your face, a lot like Gorbadics.” Madoc just smiled and nodded at Tom.

“It’s unfortunate that Gorbadic had to cancel for the journey, but he told of his cousin who seemed keen to take his place,” remarked Tom while drinking his entire cup of tea in one gulp.

“Well, I must say that I’m slightly worried about the Orcs and Wargs but other than that I’m ready and raring to go,” said Madoc while watching Tom surprisingly down his tea in one swallow.

Tom looked at his empty mug in a puzzled manner. “I finished that quick. I’ll go and get us some more tea.”

Tom began to walk towards the table but turned back half way there. “Remember you lot. Eat and drink as much as you like…. After all, this is a party!”
Old 02-14-2004, 01:01 AM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Madoc nodded as Tom walked away. He planned on taking full advantage of his invitation. He knew that once they hit the road, it would be cold rations and thin soup for the most part, and some days, only hot water, or ‘white tea’, as it was called in these days of scarce rations. He looked about the room and felt almost guilty at the quantities of food that had been brought out for them. Larders, he knew, were almost bare. But the friends and neighbors who had shared what little they had, were grateful that this little group would make the journey to find supplies. And their gratitude was expressed through food and drink.

From another corner of the room there came the sound of singing. Someone had started up a song, and mugs of ale were being raised to the singer. Madoc grinned widely. If he shut out the perpetual snow that fell in a white curtain outside the windows of the room, he could almost believe that the bad times had gone away, and spring was almost round the corner.

Someone had brought seedcake, a favorite of his, and there on the table next to it was a bottle of Gaffer Greenhand’s dandelion wine. The Gaffer was sitting at the table, pouring out small tots of the strong brew and slicing the cake paper thin to stretch it out. ‘My goodwife made this, laddie,’ he said as Madoc and Cedric approached his table. He laid a thin slice of the delicious cake in their outstretched hands. ‘Last bottle of summer’s sunshine,’ he went on, pouring each of them a generous portion of the golden wine. ‘You lads are doing a brave thing, you know.’ He tapped his thin little sticks of legs with his beech-wood cane. ‘If my pins weren’t so old and used up, I’d be going with you, you know.’

The Gaffer banged his cane on the ground and looked up at them with his rheumy eyes. ‘I was there, you know, when Bullroarer laid that Orc creature low.’ He motioned them to lean in closer, as if speaking of Orcs might bring them from the shadows in the corners of the rooms. ‘Here’s my advice to you youngsters. Orcs like to single their targets out. Like the wolves, they are. They’ll try to cut you out of the herd and then take you down.’ He tapped each of them on their shoulders. You stick together; don’t panic and get separated.’ He looked round the room at the women there. ‘They’re weaker, but they can fight, too, if threatened. Put the men in a ring around them facing outward. Fire’s good to scare them away – make sure you take some pitchy brands with you. A brand in one hand and your knife in the other. Give the women sharpened staves, long ones. They can poke ‘em at the critters. Put your bowman behind you, too. They can shoot out between a pair of lads in the outer ring.’

Madoc was all ears as the Gaffer spoke, taking in each bit of advice and filing it away for future use. ‘We can pile some brands and long poles on one of the wagons we’re taking,’ he told Cedric. ‘And I wonder if any of the others going with us tomorrow can use a bow?’

Someone else had come up to the table, and the Gaffer had turned to speak with them. Madoc finished his cake and wine and went to fetch his cloak. ‘I think I’ll go back home for now,’ he said to Cedric, who had followed him to the door to say good-bye. ‘Get some rest for tomorrow. See if my sister will loan me her old bow for the journey.’ He paused and held out his hand to the other Hobbit. ‘Glad to have met you, Cedric. I’ll look for you tomorrow. Perhaps we can walk along together.’ He waved as he reached the last step off the porch. Then, adjusting his hood about his head, he headed back to his house.

Just a little time left to pack a last few things and see his mother and sister before the journey began.