The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting renewed shall be blade that was broken

Did anyone pick up on the fact that Aragorn only recieved Anduril in the very last movie? Which kind of makes you wonder, "then what the heck was he lugging around for the first two films?!" I thought he was supposed to get it in fotr. (um, refresh my memory, was it in rivendell or lorien?)
Old 01-04-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, the shards of Narsil were reforged as Anduril before the Fellowship set out from Imladris, in the books. Elrond coming to the camp of the Rohirrim in Dunharrow was a complete fabrication. I assume Aragorn was carrying a generic blade of Arnor or Rivendell (probably the former) that he had carried with him since before he met the four hobbits in Bree in the movie version of the story.<p>[ 6:50 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Lord of Angmar ]
Old 01-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

This has little to do with this but I thought it was weird how it looked like Elrond pulled the sword out of no where even if it was under his cloak. It was very anime like.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Yeah Aragorn was carrying the sword when he first met Frodo and it was reforged when they went to Rivendell. I don't really know why they decided to give it to him then, and leave out the Gandalf and the letter thing, but then again, I'm not sure why they did a lot of what they did. At least they had the sword in there at all. I was glad for that.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Did anyone else laugh a bit when Arwen starts saying Bilbo's poem so seriously. It sounds great in the books, but knowing that it's just a little ditty written by an old hobbit makes it kind of funny.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:33 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

With Aragorn the reluctant king in the film, it would have no sense to have him carrying the Sword of Elendil until he was willing to take on his inheritance.<P>H.C.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:04 PM   #7
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think this was one area where Peter Jackson made a slight improvement on Tolkien's works, if none of you will think me blasphemous! Why would Aragorn carry around an 800-year-old heirloom, and the token of the King around in the Wild for that long? For the same token, Aragorn would need actual protection on his journeys around the Wild -- a real sword, not a broken hilt! It makes more sense to keep the prize heirloom enshrined in Rivendell, until the King claims it.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

when aragorn unseathed it... boy was that sword long!
Old 01-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Moonmaid
Pile O'Bones

Moonmaid has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Knight of Gondor. I've always wondered about why on earth does Aragorn carry only a broken sword with him in the wilderness. He couldn't figh e.g. trolls with just a hilt and a stump of a sword. I think Jackson did the right decision here.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

The Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

800 years old?I think you'll find the shards of Narsil are something like 3000 years old.Aren't they?And how did they put new runes on the hilt withput melting it?
The Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Oh yeh.I'm gettin a Wraith sword.That's 53 inches.Same length as Anduril. Il ike Wraiths.LOL
Old 01-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

They could have used an engraver to engrave the Tengwar into the hilt. I've seen it done. All you need to do is really polish the blade afterwards to get rid of that gritty look. <P>BTW, Wraith, that last post was a wee bit unnecessary.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Sting

Didn't TElchar make ANduril?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #14
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Main comment about anduril, when people see it the first thing they say. "Wow, that is a really long sword!"<BR>In the theaters both of my friends said it at exactly the same time.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:01 AM   #15
Maéglin
Haunting Spirit

Maéglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is after all.. a longsword.. <P>Telchar forged Narsil yes, in the First Age. So the sword is much more than just 3000 years old. It was probably carried over to Westenesse by the descendents of Elendil and passed down.
Maéglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #16
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Wow, that is a really long sword!"<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>omg, i did that too, seriously!!! (well actually, my exact words were "Wow- really long sword...", but whatever) lol- barrowdown brainwaves...
Old 01-06-2004, 03:19 PM   #17
The Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I held the United Cutlery official Narsil(which is the same length as Anduril because it's basically the same sword).Ooooooo, the feeling of wanting to go killing orc beasties!!LOL
Old 01-06-2004, 03:24 PM   #18
Linaeve
Animated Skeleton

Linaeve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Linaeve
Sting

As an aside- yes . . . that was a really long sword. Right after the movie, my friends and I were only commenting on the swords, then we moved onto the other stuff. Keep in mind, by the way, my friends are all guys <P>Anyway, um, I don't know exactly when Aragorn receives it in the books, but I like the fact that he receives it in the third movie. I think it shows that he's now ready to accept his true role, and that he's reached his full maturity. It's sort of like he's been given his charge or something . . .
Old 01-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #19
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I LOVE the movie swords...and I actually own a reproduction of Narsil! Yep, it's really long...yet cool as can be.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 01-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #20
TheBladeThatWasBroken
Animated Skeleton

TheBladeThatWasBroken has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to TheBladeThatWasBroken
Sting

I read in an interview somewhere saying that PJ saved the reforge for TROTK in order to have more scenes with Elrond + Arwen
Here I set it, but I command you not to touch it, nor to permit any other to lay hand on it. In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time. Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
TheBladeThatWasBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #21
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Didn't TElchar make ANduril? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He could have been one of the two elves they showed in that scene.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #22
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

i never really thought of the sword being held back until Aragorn was ready to accept being king.. its actually a reallly cool idea now that i get it..
Old 01-07-2004, 06:05 PM   #23
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> quote:<BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR> Didn't TElchar make ANduril? <BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>He could have been one of the two elves they showed in that scene.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, Telchar was a Dwarven smith of the First Age. He forged Narsil. The broken sword was reforged in the Third Age by Elven smiths in Rivendell and re-named Anduril.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> i never really thought of the sword being held back until Aragorn was ready to accept being king. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The clue is in "Become who you were born to be".
Old 01-07-2004, 07:44 PM   #24
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Actually, I had assumed that Aragorn had Anduril in the first two movies but they just hadn't said anything. The sword was really long too. I never imagined Anduril/Narsil as being that long. And Wraith? What's with the posts that basically have nothing to do with the topic?
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #25
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It was probably carried over to Westenesse by the descendents of Elendil and passed down <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It couldn't have been carried to Westernesse by the decendents of Elendil as Elendil wasn't born yet, let alone had descendents. I think the term you meant was ancestors. <P>In the extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring, Elrond offers to have Narsil reforged for Aragorn, but he refuses, saying he doesn't want that reponsibility. As Aragorn in the movies was hiding from his heritage, it makes sense for him to only get the sword reforged after he decides to become king. In the book he is wanting to be king, and so it makes more sense for the sword to be reforged as he sets out on his quest to regain the kingship and overthrow Sauron.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #26
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Elrond offers to have Narsil reforged for Aragorn, but he refuses, saying he doesn't want that reponsibility. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't believe, in that extended scene, that we can say that Aragorn <I>rejected</I> the sword. Elrond was telling him that the sword COULD be reforged, but only Aragorn could stretch out his hand and take it.