Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #81
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Hello, all!

*sends a billion bricks crashing down on Menel's head*

Sophia sort of read my mind so I'm here: prematurely, I might add.

So far, I only have the name: Balaknaru, or in Sindarin, Cirion. Must do more of the bio. Must find sailor blood in me. Must recall my sojourn in Númenor long ago.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:23 PM   #82
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
1420! My Bio

POSTED TO THE PROPOSAL - IF YOU EDIT IT, PLEASE PM ME THAT YOU HAVE DONE SO ~*~ PIO

Here it is. I'm excited for the game.

Name: Azarmanô Hazadbawîba/Elenfairë Ostovaivar

Race: Man/Númenorean

Weapons: Azarmanô carries a longbow of the same type traditionally used in the Númenorean army. It is made of hollow-cored black steel with black-feathered arrows a full ell (45 inches) long. His great-grandfather was given this longbow for service to the King many years ago in a brighter time. Azarmanô has grown to be an excellent marksman, primarily using it to bring down game, but also in defending his ship against attack while on long sea voyages.

Appearance: Azarmanô stands firm at 6 foot 5 with shoulder length blonde hair that is the color of straw. His eyes shine with a vivid, scintillating blue.“Like sun, sparkling upon the face of the deep sea,” his father has often told him. He is slender, like his mother, and very well groomed. He often wears his favorite green wool cloak while sailing to repel water and offer protection against the buffeting winds.

Personality: Often with a smile on his face, Azarmanô generally takes a positive outlook on life, sometimes using his comic wit to get him through difficult situations. He is an excellent officer, aware of his men’s needs, striving to treat them in a just and equitable manner. Azarmanô is very much in love with his young wife and cares deeply for his son. He is aware of the need to balance his role as a ship’s captain with that of being a husband and father, and generally does a good job of this. His drive and determination coupled with his optimism and commitment to his loved ones define his personality and his basic view of life.

He is, however, very direct and can get impatient to finish the task at hand quickly and may become irritable. This impatience is currently exacerbated by the fact that his family is waiting to board the ship and sail, and he is separated from them.

History: Azarmanô comes from an ancient family, whose members originally worked as fishermen. Their knowledge of boats and the sea led them to become mariners, initially in the employ of the king. They had been one of the families that the Eldar had instructed in the art of navigation and deep sea voyaging. The Ostovaivars eventually rose to become independent shipwrights and ship-owners, but maintained close friendships with many of the Elven traders until the change of policies made such relations impossible. The Ostovaivars’ shipping interests continue to flourish. The family now commands one of the largest fleets in Númenor.

Azarmanô had been trained as an officer and was promoted to become the captain of his own vessel, the Gwaun, while still quite young. Over the years, he visited many settlements on Middle Earth, transporting Numenoreans and dealing various commodities with the local people. He strove to treat the locals with respect and compassion, offering them fair prices to the few who came to examine the goods he toted. His natural instinct was to teach them the art of catching fish, just as Azarmanô’s father had done for him. These lessons were difficult to depart, however, because the people were incredulous, some even hostile and many of their dealings with Númenor had left them with a strong distaste.

Despite Azarmanô’s best efforts, the relations between the men of Middle Earth and Númenor had been deteriorating since before his birth. Many Numenoreans oppressed the men of Middle Earth and made servants of them, without regard for their well-being. This savage treatment outraged Azarmanô and he vowed to redouble his efforts to befriend and aid them any way he could. His efforts had not been well received, but he resolved to continue in hopes that he could gain the trust of a few. But he had also found himself in situations where he had no choice but to unleash an arrow from his bow.

His father, whose fairë was tied to the sea, had acted as role model for Azarmanô and the son had always tried to live up to him. Although the father loved his son, he was often absent on trading missions in Middle-earth, so the boy did not see him very often. During these lengthy absences, his mother had to function on her own. She became very strong willed, a quality that she retained, never taking instructions from anyone other than her husband.

Azarmanô had married shortly after gaining the position of captain. His wife was a lovely woman named Eirien, the younger daughter of one of the nobles faithful to the Elven cause. Recently, the entire Ostovaivar family has been assisting Elendil in his plans for a possible emergency evacuation. Azarmanô’s wife, along with his mother, father, and two-year-old son Thoron, are presently back in Rómenna, waiting to depart on the Thor with the rest of the fleet.

Elendil had instructed Azarmanô to alert the remaining group in the west of the imminent departure to Middle-Earth, using one of his smaller, sleek vessels to ferry them about the southern coast of the Isle and back to the ships. He had departed for the west before the news of the imprisonment came.

- Regin

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-01-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #83
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Fascinating!

Regin your bio looks awesome! Someone from outside our little stubborn community will be a definite bonus, and it looks like you're going to be a great addition.

Can Azarmano ride? I think he's gonna need to.

LMP has sent me the beginnings of his first post, so the first post for the game should be up for you guys sooner than later.

Can't wait to see waht the rest of you have put together.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #84
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree First post for the game

After some pm-ing and accent mark accidents, I think the first post of the game is ready for general viewing. LMP and I may both have some things to tweak on it, so don't consider it an absolute final version yet, but just so you guys can get an idea of the way things happened. Kathaani will reach her parents' house in Andunie 3-4 days, depending on how much I decide she's going to sleep on the way back.

Sophia

PLACED ON PROPOSAL -- PM ME PLEASE WHEN YOUR FINAL EDIT IS DONE --- PIO

A heavy, grey sky hung over the capital city of Westernesse. Rain had fallen for the last three days and the air was thick with moisture. The white walls of Arminalęth shone dully in the semidarkness and the late Ivanneth trees clung stubbornly to their last brown leaves. The land trembled; the island had shifted several times in the recent past, and now she gave another quick heave as though irritated by the tall Men who walked on her shores. As the ground quieted the skies stirred, and the boiling grey clouds which hovered over Armenelos began to drop hail. A dark haired woman looked up at the sky as pea-sized bits of ice began to bounce off the ground around her feet. She grabbed the hands of two small children and ushered them inside. As the door closed loudly behind them the hail began to fall in earnest, egg sized hailstones hammering on the rooftops of the unnaturally quiet city. As the hailstorm passed, the grey clouds blew east on a brisk wind and a billowy white cloud shaped like a great eagle cast its shadow across the land.

Abârpânarú Karíbzîr and Kâthaanî, his daughter and only child, rode along the southern faces of the fir and larch covered moors of Forostar. They could afford to ride as fast as the wind, with seven Kariborim between them. Abâr was afraid that word of their route had reached the King's Men. Abârpânarú was riding night-black Lômi while Kâthaanî rode chestnut Izri, the youngest foal of Khibil and Kali, who with their other foals, Nitirú, Rűki, and Mani galloped close at hand.

Word had reached them before they left home, that the King's Men were looking for Abârpânarú as a traitor to the King. It was true enough, if being one of the Faithful amounted to betrayal. The Forostar, the least fertile of the Númenorean regions, was least populous, and Abârpânarú had deemed it the way that would give them most shelter from the eyes of the King's Men. The ground was stony, which would give greater difficulty to other horsemen, but not the sure-footed Kariborim.

Suddenly the land dropped and the air cooled, and they came among fertile fields of grain, which were the beginning of the Orrostar. They rounded a final hill and must stop of a sudden. They were faced by twenty horsemen.

"You may go no further, traitor!" called one man whose black helm rose taller than the others.

"Go back, Kâthaanî! Make haste!" Kâthaanî obeyed immediately, calling the barebacked Kariborim as she turned her mount and charged back around the hill. Khibil, Abârpânarú's usual mount, did not follow. Abârpânarú hollered and slapped Khibil's rump and sent him chasing after the others.

"Do not let them get away!" cried the leader of the King's Men.

"You have me! Let them go!" Abârpânarú bellowed. The ears of the horses of the King's Men laid back, such was the force of his voice. He took the eyes of their leader and held them. The two strove, and at last the leader gave way.

"We have our quarry."

Abârpânarú dismounted from Lômi. "Go find Kâthaanî." Lômi stood next to Abârpânarú, unmoving. He looked in Lômi's deep brown eyes. "Go!" he whispered. She breathed on his neck, looking straight into his eyes. "They will do you harm!" She nickered. He sighed. "May I prove worthy of your love, dear one."

Kâthaanî paused on the far side of the hill. The clatter of hard hooves in the stones fell to silence all around her as five of the Kariborim joined Izri in the dell behind the hill. Five. Lômi, then, had remained with her father; though whether she was kept by her own will or Abârpânarú’s, or by some design of his captors, Kâthaanî could not tell. Dismounting quickly from Izri, she left the horses and crept down through the brush and boulders to where she could see the road.

Cursing herself inwardly for her clumsiness, she stood behind a cluster of fir and looked out toward the place where her father had been taken. As she caught sight of the men gathered on the road below, Kâthaanî breathed a sigh of relief. She realized they were yet far enough away that her pitiful attempts at stealth would not have been heard, and cloaked in brown as she was, she judged herself unlikely to be seen. She watched as Abârpânarú’s hands were bound roughly behind him and Lômi’s reins were tied to the saddle of one of the waiting horses. The riders remounted, and the column moved along the road. South, toward Armenelos. Kâthaanî watched, unmoving, until the horses disappeared into the plains.

Turning back to where she had left the Kariborim, Kâthaanî ran to them, tying her dark hair into a tighter knot on her neck and pinning her cloak more securely. She paused as she reached the horses, the tension in their bodies evident. She kissed Izri’s soft nose before turning to Nitirú, the swiftest among them. “You must bear me now, friend; and we will run more swiftly than ever we have run before.” Although she knew that she would never find help in time to rescue her father before they reached Arandor and the Royal City, there was nothing else for her to do.

Upon mounting, Kâthaanî headed down out of the foothills toward the road. Once they reached the open lands of Andustar she could take to the fields, but for now great speed required great risk and they ran on the open road. Nitirú’s feet struck sparks from the gravel as the dark haired girl and the iron grey horse flew toward Andunië, the other five trailing behind them like so many leaves in the wind.

The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-03-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:27 AM   #85
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
Here is my first post:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><>

PLACED ON PROPOSAL -- PM ME IF YOU EDIT THIS -- THANKS, PIO

Marsillion sat quietly in a dark corner of an obscure Andunië inn sipping a pint of ale. The ale was poor, but that was the least of his trouble. He'd come to meet his cousin, Nusaphad Narâkmanô, who had summoned him here the night before. Nusaphad was fairly unskilled, had no taste for books or learning, nor for any serious forms of work. Luckily for him, he was born into a wealthy family, and had overachieving brothers to carry on the pride of his father. Nusaphad ran an Andunië inn belonging to his father as a pretense of work, but most who knew him knew that he consumed more ale then he sold. Marsillion, clever as he was, managed to find a use even for his lazy cousin.

Nusaphad's Inn, The Tîrevia, was a favorite gathering spot for the King's Men garrisoned in and around Andunië, and after a few pints of ale they were often more than willing to pull a slovenly underachiever into their confidence. Through Nusaphad, who was not a member of the faithful, Marsillion gained much information on the plans and movements of the King's Men.

When his older cousin at last slid into the semi dilapidated inn, Marsillion couldn't help but notice how little resemblance there was between them. Nusaphad's olive skin and thick black beard were a stark contrast to Marsillion's fair skin and clean face. Nusaphad took a seat across the table from Marsillion without a word.

“What then, cousin, have you called me here for?” Marsillion asked gingerly. News from Nusaphad was rarely good.

“Breakfast with an old friend not enough of a lure?” Nusaphad replied, with a sarcastic grin spreading across his bearded face.

“Aye,” Marsillion perked up, “the food in this dank hole is far from good, but I suspect it's a mite bit better than whatever news you've brought for me.”

“True enough,” Nusaphad said, the grin disappearing from his face. The smiling eyes that normally defined the otherwise drab man were devoid of light and rimmed in red. Dark matters he left to others when possible, preferring women and drink to matters of business. Marsillion could see that the role of spy was taking its toll on his cousin.

Nusaphad ordered a fresh pitcher of ale and waited for the waitress to leave. “The news is indeed worse than this ale, Nimilroth, a good deal worse in truth. Your mother's brother is in grave danger. The King's Men mean to arrest him on charges of treason,” Nusaphad said quietly, even though the inn was deserted except for the young waitress.

“Is that all you have for me cousin?” Marsillion asked, stretching his arms above his head and slowly getting to his feet. “Perhaps your ale has lost its potency, for we have known this for a fortnight. Besides, what proof is there? A serious charge requires serious proof.”

“Sit down Nimilroth,” Nusaphad replied with pity in his voice. “My ale is potent enough, and I've not told you all that I have brought you here for.” Marsillion sat down and stared hard into his cousin's unblinking eyes.

“Go on then,” was all he could say.

“The King's men have been watching your uncle for sometime and saw him and his daughter leave Andunië with his prized horses days ago. They know not only his destination, but also his intended route. A company of the King's Men lie in wait as we speak near the junction of Forostar and Orrostar. Your uncle is walking into a trap. And as for proof, it seems to me that Ar-Pharazôn needs none these days but that which his own mind can conjure.”

“Why have you not spoken of this before?” Marsillion demanded, the anger in his voice shattering the silence of the inn.

“I knew not until late in the evening,” Nusaphad said sheepishly, seemingly afraid of the strong armed young man he'd known for so long. “If I'd have ridden out myself to tell you we may both have been discovered.”

“I must go,” Marsillion nearly shouted as he jumped to his feet. He rushed to the door, knocking over a mug of beer on the way.

“You're gonna have to pay for that, mister!” the waitress shouted after him, but the words were meaningless in his ears. He had been there when his father was seized by the King years before. He had to get to Kâthaanî before it was too late. He could not allow her to undergo the same fate as he. The only sound to reach his ears was the beating rhythm of his young mare’s galloping footfalls, moving rapidly down the dirt street, into the east.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><>

TB12-GO PATS

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-03-2005 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:02 AM   #86
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Bio For Himaran's Character: Comments, necessary changes? Let me know!

POSTED TO THE PROPOSAL - IF YOU EDIT IT, PLEASE PM ME THAT YOU HAVE DONE SO ~*~ PIO

NAME: Abârzadan Batânzâira, Of Strong House Longing of Travel, Turmeawa Mélatrevad

RACE: Númenórean

WEAPONS:

Abârzadan carries a longbow and a few arrows, customary of Númenóreans, but they are not the tools that he wields most smoothly. His favorite weapon is the large, double-bladed axe that he carries comfortably over one shoulder; an heirloom of his father.

APPEARANCE:

Abârzadan is six foot, four inches tall. He has shoulder-length, dark-brown hair, and large blue eyes. The man has a strong frame, large hands -- scarred from hours of axe-practice with his late father, and a slightly mishapen lower lip (which he is chews on frequently). He walks with a partial swagger, much practiced, in order to seem a swashbuckler. Abârzadan's fingers display several rings set with precious gems, adding to his already prominent air of importance; although he despises the look of "cleanliness" and usually keeps his hair greasy and ruffled. Always he seeks to appear as a rich, experienced and road-weary warrior; a tough combination to apply.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:

As a general rule, Abârzadan is haughty and bold; a product of his heritage. His father taught him that only great warriors deserve respect, and even then only those "above" his family's prominent status. The man laughs loudly, and argues frequently, but will rarely become involved in an actual fight: for such matters are "below" him. He does, however, have a kind heart -- despite his father's belief that those poorer than him are unworthy of recognition, Abârzadan is generally touched by the sight of poverty, and will give freely; especially if another important figure is watching him.

HISTORY:

The House of Batânzâira was indeed a great power, but its influence has slowly slipped away. In reality, few among the Faithful have even heard of such a thing. In its days of greatness, it served proudly under Ar-Pharazôn, but as the king himself fell under the influence of the cult of Melkor, Batânzâira too was diminished. Abârzadan's father was one of the last to stand beside Ar-Pharazôn, cautiously counseling him to stray from the dark one's designs. When Sauron discovered his disloyalty, Abâranâ was forced to flee, leaving all his possessions and relations except for his son. Together they journeyed through Númenor in secrecy, at last arriving in the land controlled by the Faithful. To his death Abâranâ never trusted them, believing that he was living among traitors and criminals.

Abârzadan thus was forced to live among the Faithful after a long and pleasent childhood elsewhere, with his father isolated in their large home. (It should be noted that Abâranâ brought both his son and his fortune along.) He learned the ways of a warrior, and often strayed from the designated territory of the Faithful. He still thought that Ar-Pharazôn was not to blame, but that his father had ruined their life in Númenor. One day, he hopes to return there, and attempt to rebuild the dynasty of Batânzâira.

Shortly before his death, Abâranâ made his son swear a strange oath; that he would never marry until after he had proven himself in battle. Also, he implored Abârzadan to only become betrothed to a Númenorean woman, and not to an "Outcast." The man took both these things to heart, and seeks to accomplish both in the same feat. He has waited for several years to fulfill his promise, and now a chance has arrived...

Last edited by Himaran; 02-15-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #87
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Himaran - nice bio, interesting character. He'll add a lot of tension to the situation. However, few questions:

What influenced your character to carry a sword and not a bow against his national and racial opinions? He seems pretty proud to be a Numenorean otherwise.

Why would he be with us if he's not one of the Faithful and doesn't even like us? What has prevented him from giving us away, because we're in hiding? Why would we trust him? Or are we going to take him with us against our will?

He seems a little young to be deferring marriage. Perhaps he's a little older? Or he has some other good reason to be thinking of marriage early?

Just questions

Sophia
Old 02-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #88
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Good questions, all.

1. Abarzadan's father always believed that it was more honorable to fight in person than at a distance, and thus his son adheres to this.

2. Excellent question, which I will try to explain better in my first post. Basically, Abarzadan's father lived in isolation with the Faithful, and thus no one ever really knew about him or his beliefs. Abarzadan himself does not Distrust the Faithful, but he still feels attached to his Numenorean ancestry. Members of the group are not likely to know of his background... they consider him one of them. Only Abarzadan knows his true feelings. Perhaps, as the story develops, he will realize that Numenor has indeed gone ary.

3. Not sure what typical marrying ages are in Numenor... if you think I should bump it up a decade or so, I can alert Pio and have her edit it.

Thanks for the feedback,
--Himaran

Last edited by Himaran; 02-03-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #89
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree Public Service Announcement

My roommate's turning 21 this weekend, so we're going out of town to do some minor partying. I will likely make it on sometime tomorrow and sometime Sunday, but there's a possibility I'll be...inaccessible.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to finish bios and posts while I'm gone is more than welcome to do so (Hint, hint, hint...).

Sophia

PS- one more comment, Himaran, it might be good to alter your bio to say that Melkor isn't finding out about your character's family's disloyalty, as Melkor isn't in Numenor. Sauron could find out, and yes, he is teaching the Numenoreans to worship Melkor... but Melkor can't so much do anything, in the words of a dear friend of mine: "considering he got banished from the world."

S.

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 02-04-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #90
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
gist of things question

Now that my bio and first post are up, I have a question. Allow me to frame it first.

For the first segment of this rp, Abarpa (for short) is going to be separated from the rest of the group. In the remainder (assuming his rescue), he will be able to interact with the others in the group.

Question: what kinds of things do you envision Abarpa experiencing (me posting about) during the first segment? Imprisonment jumps readily to mind, as well as a kangaroo court (though I doubt there are any such marsupials in Númenor!), and interrogations, as well as Abarpa demanding to know the condition and whereabouts of Lômi. What else? Torture? If so, what kind? Preparation for sacrifice in Sauron's temple? I had assumed this rp might lead there; if so, how close to the knife's edge and burning faggots shall we go?

One more thing. I envision Abarpa, being brought to the edge of what he will/can endure at the hands of the King's Men, will renounce Adúnaic as cursed of the Valar, and will rename himself and his Kariborim in Sindarin, and will be determined that his daughter and all those who associate with her and himself, be named accordingly. He will be quite intractable about this. Could lead to some fun conflict with certain of the other rp-ers, eh?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #91
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

As for torture, what would be harder on Abarpa than the torture of his beloved Lomi? Unfortunaltly PETA might get involved and shut down the whole website.

Interrogations...maybe George Clooney in Oceans 11esque, or maybe Abarpa shares a cell with...well I had better not go there

And who's to say there weren't an abundance of Marsupials pleasantly strolling Numenor? What kind of gift would a land devoid of friendly Koalas and wombats be anyway?

wow...plenty of helpful ideas in this post

TB12-GO PATS
Old 02-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #92
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye My bio, first post coming soon

POSTED TO PROPOSAL-- IF YOU EDIT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ~*~ PIO~*~

NAME: Adűnaic: Sakaladűn -- Elven: Thoronmir

RACE: Numenorean

WEAPONS: A long sword forged by master smiths, as well as a Númenórean steelbow, also has chainmail with a steel breastplate and helmet for use in war (Hey, it pays to have had the right connections at one point!)

APPEARANCE: Rather tall, has almost jet-black hair and dark blue eyes, wears mainly blue and white

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Strong-minded and very skeptical at this point. Believes in playing by the rules.

HISTORY: Born into an influential family in Romenna during Tar-Palantir's reign, Sakaladűn operated for quite a while as the king's emissary to the elves of Lindon under Gil-Galad, where he was given the elven name of Thoronmir. However, he was promptly removed from this position when Ar-Pharazôn came to power in 3255 and started to undo much of the unity between the two races that Tar-Palantir had built. Sakaladűn's life would not be completely ruined by this, as he later became an officer in Ar-Pharazôn's army in the colonies of Middle-Earth, where he eventually became one of the top commanders in the colonial forces. During this time, he married Firiel, a woman from Pelargir, eventually having a son and two daughters.

Sakaladűn was appointed to Ar-Pharazôn's ruling council in 3262 due to his aid in overthrowing Sauron. Sakaladűn, however, was not pleased with the king's decision to take Sauron back to Numenor as a prisoner, believing that the Dark Lord should have been destroyed rather than kept alive due to his evil and corruptive nature. Ar-Pharazôn, however, ignored Sakaladűn's recommendation. During the years of Sauron's captivity in Numenor, Sakaladűn's suspicion continued to rise, and he spoke in secret with Elendil about the strange patterns he had noticed in the Council. Sakaladűn opposed many of the changes in Numenor during the years he was on the council, though the majority of the coucil members never paid much attention to his "strange notions". He ran into the strongest opposition from Herugor, the second most powerful man in Numenor and the one he suspected had been learning all kinds of evil things from Sauron. After Sakaladűn flat out refused to have anything to do with an assault on Valinor, first proposed in 3299 and actually started eleven years later, Herugor, probably following instructions from Sauron, made up a number of false accusations about Sakaladűn forming a conspiracy and taking the throne for himself. Herugor then presented these charges before the king, who fired Sakaladűn from his post and had him arrested. Sakaladűn, however, went into hiding and was never found. He now lives among the Faithful, where he goes by the name of Thoronmir full-time. His wife and children have been sent to Lindon, the safest place there is for those of the Faithful at this time, while Sakaladűn/Thoronmir is still in Numenor aiding the Faithful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

littlemanpoet should understand who the mysterious "Herugor" is from an earlier RPG, in which his name was revealed as that of the Mouth of Sauron. I thought this would be a natural place to introduce him as the man he used to be.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 02-05-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:13 AM   #93
Scent of Simbelmynë

Meneltarmacil- nice. Herugor seems an interesting addition as well. Perhaps he and Abarpanaru will have a thing or two to say to each other?

Littlemanpoet- sounds like you have a few good ideas for what Abarpanaru can do in captivity. I knew it would be kind of a rough/isolated part. If you need someone to write an alternate pov during Abar's imprisonment I suspect a few of us would be willing to step into a secondary character for a post or two. We may need to figure it out as we come to it, but I'm willing to pick up a few posts here and there if need be.

Sophia.

ps. looks like I'll have internet here, this weekend if I'm needed and/or coherent.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #94
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
TomBrady12, you're crackin' me up. (aside: being a Michigan man, guess which team I'm rooting for? end aside)

Meneltarmacil, well, cool! Thoronmir in a different life, eh? Herugor is a Sindarin construction, meaning Lord of Horror; I doubt that would be his name early on, although the character should be there! I like the addition. We just need a less obviously evil name for now. Any ideas? Something powerful and arrogant would be quite fitting, I expect.

Sophia, I'd be happy to interact with other rp'ers posts during Abarpa's imprisonment. I'll also be sure to let you guys know if I'm running stuck at any point.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:38 PM   #95
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sophia

Clear your PM's please.

~*~ Pio
Old 02-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #96
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Sorry Pio, I 've been away from home so I was waiting to dowload them... but there should be some room in there now.

Sophia
Old 02-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #97
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I have a new player in the Shire that I would like to have join the game:

samsmyhero

I believe he will try out for the other rescuer.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 02-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #98
samsmyhero
Pile O'Bones

samsmyhero has just left Hobbiton.
Hello all!
Sam here. Pio has graciously extended an invitation to join your game, which Sophia has approved. So, thanks for the welcome.
I've read (and re-read) the posts here in the planning thread and I'm a little awed at the detail you have all gone into with your characters. I'm working on an idea for mine - guess I'll be one of the rescuers as suggested by Pio.
Sophia - I will PM you with my idea so far and I'm sure it will need help.
Looking forward to learning a lot from you all.
Sam
Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #99
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

welcome sam!

TB12-Dynasty
Old 02-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #100
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree Bios/Posts

Those of you who haven't finished first posts, consider this a gentle nudge.

I've seen a prelim copy of samsmyhero's bio, and it looks like a really good character is developing there.

Pio- would you like me to go through the thread and rake together our changes in appropriate proposal form so that we can have an up to date game outline etc. when the discussion thread goes up? And is there anything else we're waiting on aside from those aforementioned posts and bios?

Don't know about you guys, but I'm getting excited to actually play. Time to get things all ready and go, methinks.

Sophia
Old 02-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #101
samsmyhero
Pile O'Bones

samsmyhero has just left Hobbiton.
bio for Tiru

Hello Tom! Thanks for the welcome

Well, here is my character's bio. I apologize for its length; if you have trouble sleeping tonight, this should help I have run it past Sophia and LMP already, but, please, if anyone has any thoughts, comments, suggestions or objections, let me know. Thanks
Sam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLACED ON PROPOSAL - IF YOU EDIT IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ~*~ PIO

NAME: Adunaic: Azulan (means "from the east") ; Sindarin: Arkrision (horse brother); native language (some dialect of southern Westron): Tiru

AGE: 52 (he's not Numenorean, so these are 52 "regular human" years)

RACE: human, from Middle Earth (south of the River Harnen, in south Gondor near Harad) not Numenorean

WEAPONS: Tiru carries a general utility knife for work purposes. The handle is wood, old and scratched in many places. The blade is about eight inches long, plain steel, notched in one place close to the haft. It has no sheath; he carries it thrust through his belt. No other weapons belong to him, but he knows how to use a bow, and on the rescue mission he will carry a bow borrowed from the family household.

APPEARANCE: Being originally from the southern regions of Middle Earth, on the coast west of Harad, he is of swarthy complexion. He is of average height for his own race, around 5'9", 5'10" , which appears quite tiny to the Numenoreans. His frame is wirey, rather than bulky, but he's very strong for his size, due to his lifetime of hard labor. He has dark eyes and generally squints, from being outside in the sun almost constantly. He did have thick, curly, dark hair at one time, which has now turned to a salt and pepper mix of black and grey, thinning at the crown, so he's starting to sport almost a monk's tonsure look. What is left grows out long and fairly unkempt, and this he pulls back carelessly into a messy ponytail of ragged curls, down to the middle of his back. He sports a neatly trimmed beard and mustache, mostly grey now, which for some unknown reason he takes great pride in, while he totally ignores the rats' nest on his head. He's missing one top front tooth which he lost brawling at some tavern. He has a mark tattooed on the inside of his right forearm showing him to have been a slave. His clothing is plain but clean, just a simple brown tunic of rough cloth, worn leather breeches, boots, and a black wool cloak and hood for the cold. He keeps his work knife and various other tools from time to time shoved into an old leather belt wrapped around his middle, which is exceedingly long as he inherited it from his master when it was too worn for Abar to want any longer.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Tiru is generally a very quiet man. Most of the time you would never even know he's around. He learned long ago that horses prefer people who are quiet and calm, and, as he spends most of his time in their company, he has little need to talk at length or in a high volume. He's somewhat somber, a little melancholy at times. He never married and has no children and some say that a good wife and children tumbling around the hearth would have brought him more cheer. But actually, he's happy with his life, as long as he can take care of the Kariborim and Karibi, and be of service to the family. He can be stubborn at times. His size belies his great physical strength, and this has brought him into grief on more than one occasion. It seems bullies and big mouths in taverns can never leave him alone. Although peaceful by nature, when provoked enough he may become consumed by a terrible rage. All the anger at his abuse as a slave and what happened to his family and village will boil to the surface and overflow – woe betide his would-be persecutor then! He is fiercely loyal to Abar's family and any whom he knows to be their trusted friends, but silently hostile to most strangers in these perilous times.

HISTORY: Tiru was born in a small fishing village on the western coast of Middle Earth, somewhat south of the mouth of the River Harnen, a land at this time mostly a colony of Numenor. His family were of course fisherfolk and he lived a peaceful existence until the age of ten, when a Numenorean galleon swept down upon the village and in an instant took every man, woman, and child prisoner, to be taken north to the great fortress at Umbar to be sold as slaves.

He was separated from his parents and three younger siblings in the slave market and has no idea what happened to them. At that time, there was already starting to be a fairly brisk market for slaves to be sacrificed to Melkor, and this was most probably the fate of his younger siblings and possibly his mother. Tiru was taken to Numenor to work in the fields of a prosperous family, loyal to the king, that lived outside Andunie. He was called "Azulan" by his overseers, as were many of his fellow slaves, as it meant simply "from the east". Slaves were treated cruelly in Numenor, and Tiru was beaten, mistreated and starved.

When Tiru was about twelve, Abar happened to be paying a horse-related business visit to Tiru's owner. Abar was invited to accompany the owner on a hunt, and was shocked to discover when they had run their quarry to earth, that it was a young boy (Tiru). Tiru's owner laughed out loud when Abar tried to intercede on the boy's behalf, and was ready to set the dogs on Tiru to rip him to pieces. Abar persuaded the cruel owner otherwise with a purse full of gold pieces, enough to buy ten slaves, and enough to secure Tiru's freedom.

Abar took Tiru in to Andunie to register the formal papers declaring him a freed man at the town's municipal building. He told the boy he was free to go anywhere he chose; but that he was welcome to come back to Abar's farm and work there as a hired hand, which Tiru readily agreed to. Abar at first had him work in the household, where Inzillomi could keep an eye on him. She took him under her wing and they all quickly saw that he was a very bright kid and quick to learn. But Abar discovered that Tiru was fascinated with the horses. The boy had never been close to one and they cast a spell on him with their strength, speed and beauty. Abar asked if he would rather work in the stables than the house and Tiru leapt at the chance. He turned out to be a natural with horses; he understood them and they understood him. They turned out to be the new family to replace the one he had lost. Thus Abar came to call him "Arkision", horse-brother. Although "Azulan" was his official name according to his papers, and this was the name he would give in town or to strangers, the family always called him Tiru, out of respect for his origins.

From the beginning, Tiru had great respect for his master and mistress. He returned their kindness with a fierce loyalty. When their daughter was born, Tiru looked upon her as a cherished princess and she had him wrapped around her little finger from day one. If there were ever any times when Tiru did not obey Abar or Inzillomi, it was when Kathaani wanted his help in some innocent mischief which her parents would have frowned upon. When her father himself wasn't teaching Kathaani about the Kariborim, she could usually be found hovering at Tiru's elbow as he went about his work, asking incessant questions and soaking up knowledge like a little sponge. As she grew up, she naturally came to spend less time in his company, but there was always an unspoken affection between them, like uncle and niece.

Trusted implicitly by the family, he is aware of the pending flight of the Faithful to ME, and has been assured by both Abar and Inzillomi that there will be a place for him on a ship, hopefully the one carrying the Kariborim. Tiru has never had any contact with any Eldar, of course, but Abar has long ago explained and tutored Tiru regarding the Valar and Illuvatar, etc. Tiru in his heart doesn't believe in any gods because of what happened to his family. But outwardly, he pays respect as Abar has instructed him, because he doesn't really care as long as it pleases his master.

There is no question that Tiru would willingly and without hesitation lay down his life for Abar, Inzillomi, Kathaani, or the Kariborim.

I'm thinking that evryone playing can call my guy Tiru ( so as not to be too confusing with 3 names ) How does that sit with everyone? Alternatively, I could use the Sindarin one.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-10-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #102
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Sophia

On page 1 of this thread, posts 2 through 17 will be the proposal I transfer to the Discussion Thread - if there are any changes to be made, please refer to which # post they go on.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-10-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #103
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

NILPAURION FELAGUND

Clear out your PM's please.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 02-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #104
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

Sams: Tiru sounds like a really good character (sidenote, i picture him looking like the hippy father on Darma and greg, not that i watch that ) Sounds like there could be some tense interactions with Himaran's character, Abarzadan...should be interesting...i like

TB12: Dynasty
Old 02-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #105
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! PMs cleared.

I'll be crafting my bio over the weekend, and hoping I'll be able to place it here on Monday morning, PST.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:04 PM   #106
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien Regarding the future lieutenant of Mordor....

I've been thinking that there's a problem with having the future Mouth of Sauron around for this story: he's supposed to have a future! He can't be on Numenor unless he somehow escapes its end!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #107
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Checkup:

I've been very busy, but am almost done with my first post. I will try to have it up here tomorrow for comment.

Himaran
Old 02-10-2005, 09:36 PM   #108
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

LMP- we'll wait and see if Meneltarmacil has plans for him, but that could be a problem. I like the idea of having him around for at least part of the story, though... Any ideas on how we could evacuate him in the nick of time... without being too lame?

Sophia
Old 02-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #109
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Took a while, but here it is.
--Himaran

First Post:

PLACED ON PROPOSAL - PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU EDIT IT

EDITED POST MOVED 2/12 ~*~ PIO

Two swords crossed in overlapping fashion, drawing attention to the silver star located at the place of their meeting... The symbol of the House of Batânzâira. Abârzadan turned away from the treasured decoration adorning the wall of his large house. In reality, it was a thing of the past; there was no House Batânzâira... there was only him. The Númenórean man's ascendents were vast, but all had long since died out, persecuted by Sauron and the cult of Melkor. What that evil one so feared about letting it survive? Perhaps its strength, and the many warriors it had bred. Whatever the reason, all that was over. Abârzadan was the last of them, as far as he could tell. No one else remembered. No one understood.

Banishing the disparaging thoughts from his mind, Abârzadan forced himself to look on the positive side of the matter. He was safe, rich and secure; at least for the time being. The sole heir of a large fortune, the man was not stranger to the lavish lifestyle of the elite. But was there such a among the rabble of the Faithful? His father, Abâranâ, had never trusted them since entering their lands to escape the wrath of Sauron. They were outcasts, rebels, unfit to serve the King of Númenór. The old man's sentiments were never known publicly; he lived out his days isolated in his home, without making any aquaintices with the locals. After his father's death, Abârzadan had gradually come to accept the Faithful and did not hold them in a hostile light, but still he held on to the sometimes violent longing to see his true home. And then there was Abâranâ's last request...

No. That can never be accomplished. Never. Deciding that the acute loneliness of the house was becoming oppressive, Abârzadan pulled on a, coat, opened the door and hurried out into the street, allowing the wooden frame to fall shut loudly behind him. The refreshing tinge of cool air met his face, and the sound of the waves lapping at the shore met his ears. Abârzadan's home was near the docks, for he loved to look out at the sea from his bedroom window... somehow, although it was not the way back to the King he still felt loyal to, the water was strangely attracting. Perhaps it was the sense of mystery it held, for doubtlessly there were unexplored regions beyond the simmering edge of the horizon.

Even the sea could not give Abârzadan's mind the rest that it longed for. His thoughts went back to six years before, when his father lay dying from disease. "Hear me, Abârzadan," he had rasped, before breaking into another fit of coughing. "And never forget. Keep the House of Batânzâira clean from the Faithful. Only marry..." the sick man's voice trailed off again. His eyes opened wide, as if he was seeing a vision. Then he had struggled back to reality, and made one last, desperate effort to finish his last statement. "Only marry... a woman of Númenór. I say this to you so that I know that one day, you will indeed go back there, to see the place where our ancestors lie. Never forget, Abârzadan, please..." The man had then gone unconcious, and died during the night, as silently as he had lived.

Enough reminiscing! Abârzadan decided that if he were to get any work done that night, he had better get a drink and clear the disturbing memories from his distraught mind. The man hurried down the street, soon finding a small inn that he rarely visited. Abâranâ had seen the place when they first arrived, and snidely commented on its disrepair. Indeed, it was in rather poor condition, and not the sort of place that a member of the elite would go to dine. However, it was close, and though the ale was poor it still contained the kick that he needed. Besides, the gossip of those at this particular small establishment was far more interesting than that at any fine diner.

As he entered the inn, Abârzadan noticed that it was quite empty, almost deserted. The man ordered a drink and walked over to a table in the corner; slowly easing into the hard wooden chair. His ears immediately sharpened, and he began to pick up snippets of conversation from a booth near him. When he heard "the King's men have been watching your uncle," his ears perked up. The King? Ar-Pharazôn? As he continued to eavesdrop, his suspicions were confirmed. "Your uncle is walking into a trap," one of the men said. Prized horses? And uncle and his daughter? As Abârzadan left the inn later that evening, he promised himself to keep his ears open for any more information regarding the strange tale that he had been exposed to.

Especially if it dealt with Númenór.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-12-2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:50 AM   #110
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dűm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Here's it is.

I have left the spaces blank that say who came down and greeted me at the cove.

Any suggestions as to what name I should put in here?

I could invent someone, but I am assuming that our little group represents all the Faithful in the west of the island.

Oh, yes, my character can ride, although horses aren't as central to his character as some of the others in this tale.

If anyone has suggestions, I'll be glad to try and edit.

PLACED ON PRPOSAL LET ME KNOW WHEN THE BLANKS ARE EDITED IN OR IF ANYTHING IS CHANGED ~*~ PIO

EDIT PLACED - 2/15

Azarmanô stared at the cove, which was surrounded on three sides by towering cliffs of sheer granite. It was a tight fit for the Gwan, but the ship slipped through the narrow opening just as it had done countless times before. The journey to the western part of the island had been placid, something that could not be said for many of his trips. Azarmanô marveled at how this group of the Faithful had been able to flout the King’s decree and refuse to move eastward as he himself had done some while ago. Of course, he was not often at home, but on board his ship engaged in various trading missions. He frequently traveled to the colonies with a shipload of goods from Númenor and traded these items with his fellow countrymen and whatever local merchants he could find who were still willing to deal with a man of Númenor. Despite his love of the sea and the joy he felt doing honest work, he often chafed at the length of these voyages, yearning to return to his radiant wife Eirien and his young son Thorin.

But today was no ordinary supply mission. Elendil had commanded him to sail west and pick up the last remaining Faithful and bring them back to join the others who had gathered at Rómenna and would soon be fleeing Númenor to sail across the oceans. It was with a heavy heart that Azarmanô prepared to bid farewell to his homeland. Despite persecution from the King and those who followed his lead, he still felt a strong attachment to the land of his fathers. But the departure from Númenor could not be avoided. Disaster and doom were fast approaching the land, punishment for man’s insolence. For many years, the kings had shunned the friendship of the Eldar in their greedy quest for immortality. Azarmanô understood the Faithful must depart across the sea before all was lost. Besides, he thought, he would still have the sea.

Azarmanô went down on the shore and waited for Tiru, the contact from the local Faithful who usually met him and took delivery of the supplies. Today Tiru did not look pleased. His face was wan and nervous and he was moving fast. Azarmanô called out in anticipation, “I have news for you. You must gather the others and tell them that the time has come for us to leave Númenor. Elendil gathers the fleet in the east for the Faithful to depart. We can wait no longer. Tell your neighbors to gather in this cove and I will take them to where Elendil’s ships are gathering in the eastern bay.”

Tiru replied in a rushed tone, “My friend, I’m afraid that we can not yet go. You see the King’s men have captured Abârpânarú Karíbzîr, my master. We have just found out the sad news, and people are needed to help in the rescue." Tiru looked up expectently and added, Perhaps you would be willing to come with us. We have need of another strong bow.”

“I would be honored to rescue the lifeblood of such a noble leader. But we must not tarry. Speed will be needed. Elendil’s ships wait for us to arrive so that they may depart. Every moment they delay is another chance for the King’s men to find the Faithful. My family also is on a ship that will cross the seas and I long to return to them soon. We must be swift and relentless in our search and then go with all speed to the harbor of Romenna. Let me tell my mate to guide the Gwan back east and then I will join you.”

Azarmanô returned to his ship and told his mate to steer the craft eastward and have it wait for his arrival when he returned with the others. “Don’t fear,” he added, “I will return soon.”

Azarmanô turned to Tiru and mounted the chestnut brown horse that had been brought for him. “Let us go to gather the others. Away.” He flicked the reins and clipped his heels to the steed's side and began to ride with all haste.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-15-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #111
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

PLACED ON PROPOSAL - PLEASE ALERT ME IF THIS IS EDITED ~*~ PIO

EDIT PLACED 2/25

***FIRST POST***

Thoronmir let the arrow fly, and the deer fell to the ground. He was about to walk over to it when three riders on black horses rode up.

"Well, well, if it isn't Sakaladűn," said their leader, getting off his horse. "Finally found you, eh? The King's been looking for you for quite a while now."

Thoronmir, formerly known as Sakaladűn, answered him. "I stopped listening to that man when he started going mad. If you want me to come with you, you'll have to force me."

The man laughed and reached for a weapon. Thoronmir reacted faster, leaping up onto the leader's horse and kicking it hard. The black stallion rode off at full speed. The other two riders drew their spears and pursued Thoronmir as he fled, but Thoronmir managed to lose them in the forest.

Thoronmir rode into the hiding place of the Faithful that was nearby. He was met at the entrance by one of their guards.

"Thoronmir, I'm glad you got back here. Where did you get the horse?" the guard asked curiously.

"I ran into some old friends from Armenelos who really wanted me to come back with them," the Thoronmir said. "I declined the offer and borrowed one of their horses to escape with."

The other man didn't smile a whole lot. "Good thing you escaped, because we're really going to need your help here." he said. "You see, there's been a problem. Mabalar has been taken captive and they said we need to act now..."

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-25-2005 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #112
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

Himaran: I like the idea of your overhearing the conversation between Nimilroth and his cousin, however there are a couple discrepancies between our two accounts of the inn. In my post I described the inn as being, "deserted except for the young waitress." You describe the inn as being "quite full"

Remember that it is quite early in the morning when the meeting between my two characters takes place, not really prime time for gathering in a pub. That said, I think it would be fine for Abarzadan to be in the corner like you had him, and my characters just didn't notice him there, but other than that for the inn to be mostly empty. Also, that would make it easier for you to overhear the convo going on across the room, especially since most of it was said very quietly.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:33 PM   #113
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree maps

Alright, since it seems like it may get confusing about where we are and who is where, here are some mapses, doctored by myself noting locations of various groups and events. I'll update it if I need to later in the game.

This:

is where we all are now.

This is an undoctored map of Numenor.

Hope this can clear up some confusion.

Sophia

Edit: you can see the doctored map in a size big enough to read all the words here. End edit.

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 02-11-2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: More links.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #114
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

TB12:

Thanks, I'll edit that.

Pio: Could put my changed post on the main section? Thanks! DONE! - PIO

--Himaran

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-12-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #115
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Menel, it looks like you're setting up your first post to be such that Sakaladún is about to be captured in order to be sacrificed. I think that works pretty well. Just two problems though:

1. Placing Sakaladún in Romenna will probably place unwanted logistical problems on your character, making it hard to get him with the rest of the rescuers when he needs to be there. It would probably be better to have him start in Andúnië.

2. Having Sakal kill three of the King's Men creates absences that would be missed, and suspicions raised higher than they already are. The inevitable result would be retribution against the Faithful, meaning the capture and sacrifice of way more than originally intended. It would be a general rule among the Faithful that they do not kill unless those deaths can be avoided at all costs. Best not to kill any of them, unless it simply would not be realistic ... but I'm sure you could find a way to make it realistic to kill none of them.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #116
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Don't worry. I don't think they'd have all died. They only have a few bruises and one of them was hit by an arrow, probably not enough to kill him unless he was hit in a vulnerable spot. And they didn't see anyone except Sakal, so I doubt they'll think anybody else was involved.

Oh, and I did edit my post so that it's not in Romenna.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 02-12-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #117
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Tolkien

Menel, I guess I should have been more specific. It was your character immediately resorting to violence that needs to be revised. And it wouldn't matter if they didn't see anybody else involved. The King's Men would still use it as an "excuse" for retaliation in ways that the Faithful would at all costs avoid. Besides, if this is to be the kind of story worthy of Tolkien, the start should leave room for the really intense and powerful toward the end; and if we resort to violence early, we remove that as a story telling option that has any power down the road.

Himaran, are you aware that the Faithful are Numenoreans? Your posts and bio suggest to me that your characters may not know this.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #118
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

I really find it difficult to imagine a pseudo rebellious group such as the faithful living in somewhat normal conditions for any sustained amount of time if they were openly hostile and or killing/murdering/shooting at high profile members of the Kings regime. Numenor, not being particularly large in terms of area, would have been quite a difficult place to hideout I would imagine.

"To conquer new realms for our race, and ease the pressure of this peopled island, where every road is trodden hard, and every tree and grass-blade counted." -The Lost Road, Herendil speaking of Numenor

The members of the faithful are elite, and high class. They live in mansions and do not hide out in caves from all I can gather (correct me if i am wrong please). I really think it is unlikely that they would act so violently outright, and if they did, I think they would certainly be persecuted harshly or possibly exterminated. Remember, the faithful were grouped in Rommena so they could be watched. The King knows, I would imagine, who most of them are, and has a very sharp eye on them. If they didnt't walk a narrow line they would have been wiped out!

This is just what i am thinking, I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, I just want to have a credible story.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:40 PM   #119
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

lmp:

Numenoreans, yes, but Abarzadan's father considered them outcasts, since they left the influence of Ar-Pharazon. Just his personal prejudice.

--Himaran
Old 02-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #120
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sophia or lmp

Can someone address Regin Hardhammer's request about his first post - see post #111.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-13-2005 at 09:07 AM.