The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #721
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots I think I'm beginning to get to them... :D

Quote:
Kuru, you are assuming that Belladonna, if not evicted, is a dead cert for victory on the last day of positive votes for the winner.

For reasons of my own, I beg to differ. I have no wish to evict little Lucrezia Longbottom but my support will be elsewhere on the final Day.
I've already taken your inevitable opposition into my calculations.

Quote:
They are in an individual competition, so this can hardly form any basis for complaint.
*gasp* You are starting to sound more and more like a Conservative the longer this argument goes on.

Oh group identity politics...where art thou?

Quote:
I could say the same. Listen very carefully, for I shall say this only once (more). I have not been voting against Dwarves because I have any irrational dislike of Dwarvenkind.

-and-

it can hardly be described as discriminatory or prejudicial, in the sense that those words are normally used
I have been reading this, but it is just self-justifying sophistry (shameless borrowing of Lalaith's word ). You just have a hard time admitting what the results of your actions mean to yourself. The fact that the characters you have been voting against are Dwarves is the whole basis of why you have been voting against them. How then is it possible for you to say that your votes have not been racially motivated? (Rhetorical question, I actually know quite well.)

Quote:
You, on the other hand, have been persistently voting against Tom for the last few days simply because he is a Troll. And you accuse me of prejudice ....??!!!
I voted against Tom because he attempted to mug Belladonna repeatedly. I'm trying to remove the criminal element from the island.

Quote:
It is quite clear (whatever you may say after the event) that you desperately want a Dwarf to win. Otherwise, why the unjustified, slanderous and assault against those of us who have been voting for Dwarves? Methinks the Dwarf doth protest too much.
As I said, I don't have any intention of voting against a dwarf myself. Therefore, in order for Belladonna to win, I have to ensure that the other voters are sufficiently goaded into doing it for me. If there is any reverse psychology going on here that is it. But even so, I haven't had to put any effort into it. Matters have pretty much taken care of themselves.

Is it about time that somebody steps in to write an eviction for us so that we can get on with things?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 AM   #722
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I've already taken your inevitable opposition into my calculations.
Glad to hear that.

Quote:
*gasp* You are starting to sound more and more like a Conservative the longer this argument goes on.
And what precisely is wrong with that, even if he is? Politics is off-limits. (This is not an instinctive defence and is entirely unrelated to the fact that I'm going to a Letwin-idolising session tomorrow night.)

Quote:
I have been reading this, but it is just self-justifying sophistry (shameless borrowing of Lalaith's word ).
Actually that was Socrates's word. You'll soon be hearing from his legal representative, Plato...
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #723
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
And what precisely is wrong with that, even if he is? Politics is off-limits.
It's nice to see I'm getting somebody's goat. However, the joke was that conservatives on different sides of the pond don't want the same things or view these issues in the same way. Thus, the remark is inapplicable to anything and nonsensical (hence the alleged humor value). It was more of a trans-Atlantic joke than anything. Perhaps my meaning there was a too obscure, and I apologize for that (maybe if I'd used the word “Republican” instead it would have been clearer).

Quote:
Actually that was Socrates's word. You'll soon be hearing from his legal representative, Plato
I look forward to it. I'll promptly pass him the news that Lalaith first used it in the thread and that the word was common currency in fifth and fourth century Greece (well, maybe not “common currency” but still). His case won't hold water, even in front of an Athenian jury (even though I seriously doubt Plato would have any desire to argue his case in front of an Athenian jury).

Ummm…is anybody going to put us out of our misery before we start debating whether Hammurabi was a good king?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #724
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Quote:
Quote:
They are in an individual competition, so this can hardly form any basis for complaint.

I'm not at all clear how you can establish my political leanings simply by reference to a factual statement concerning the nature of the game. It's a Warg-eat-Warg show, by definition.

Quote:
Oh group identity politics...where art thou?
Er - you may find a hint in name of the game.

Quote:
The fact that the characters you have been voting against are Dwarves is the whole basis of why you have been voting against them. How then is it possible for you to say that your votes have not been racially motivated?
The fact that they are Dwarves has nothing to do with it. I would vote to cut down their numbers whatever their race, species or social bracket. Ergo, my dear fellow, I submit that your argument holds no water and hereby formally declare it a load of old codswallop.

Quote:
I voted against Tom because he attempted to mug Belladonna repeatedly.
As you well know, that particular incident is sub judice. Tom denies the allegation in its entirety and is entitled to a fair trial on his departure. You should watch what you say, unless you wish to find yourself in contempt of court.

Quote:
I'm trying to remove the criminal element from the island.
Assuming that he's a criminal simply because he's a Troll, eh? Talk about racial prejudice ...

Quote:
As I said, I don't have any intention of voting against a dwarf myself. Therefore, in order for Belladonna to win, I have to ensure that the other voters are sufficiently goaded into doing it for me.
Since, on the basis of what you say, you and I seem to have similar goals (for the time being, at least), I am not quite sure why you continue to rail against me. Unless, of course, there is more to your words than meets the eye ...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #725
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
...and the first person to compare Belladonna to Xanthippe gets force-fed hemlock....
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #726
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

An unfortunate connection to Miss Took's poisonous name...
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 PM   #727
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Apparently The Survivors' island is located
in the southern hemisphere and it's summer,
since the days seem to be getting longer and longer.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #728
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Okay, okay children!

Enough whining...

Master Glirdan is a very busy man.

However, to quell your childish clamours for a new day, I shall belatedly close the voting, and post the results.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #729
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
To Ang yes I know. That's why I made the joke.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #730
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Once again, Belladonna Took was in major threat of eviction. But her loyal fans rallied around her banner to evict another of the Dwarven tribe. As Ms. Took told reporters: "I like to live on the edge, as long as I don't get pushed off."

The day's voting went as follows:

Belladonna Took: IIIII I
Tom: II
Kili: IIIII II

In inimitable style, Kili stood up, faced the eviction police, and was slaughtered in a valiant attempt to remain at his family's side. Apart from Fili, no one seemed to really notice his departure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contestants voted out:
Bofur
Ori
Durin (The first King Under the Mountain)
Nori
Fundin
Gandalf
Nain (father of Dain)
Bungo Bagins
Chief of Guards
Thorin
Bilbo
Golfimbul
Carc
Gollum
The Master
Dwalin
Bifur
Great Goblin
Bard
Azog
Oin
Dain
Necromancer
Old Took
Bert
Galion (Elvenking's Butler)
Girion
Thror (grandsire of Thorin)
Bolg
Elvenking
Thrain (father of Thorin)
Beorn
Dori
Balin
Kili

The remaining contestants:

Dwarves/Bad Guys

Bombur
Fili
Gloin
Chief Warg
Smaug
William
Tom

Men/Elves/Others
Elrond
Eagle Lord
Roac
Belladonna Took
Bullroarer (Bilbo's great ancestor)

Day 31 begins now. 11 more people.

Glirdan, I'll keep at this, if need be, until the last four people or so are left. After that, the job's yours no matter how busy you are.

~Michael A. Joosten - Survivor: The Hobbit Backup Moderator~
Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #731
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

In order to do penance for my slowness on the Lucrezia front...

++TOM
Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #732
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
++BELLADONNA TOOK

Who is really leading the charge to assassinate the evictees? Belladonna, of course. Really, if she stays around much longer, she'll win by killing off the other contestants with her with her handy-dandy bottle of poisoned wine.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #733
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
++belladonna Took

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:08 PM   #734
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elu Ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elu Ancalime
++Gloin

At the Council of Elrond, Gloin spoke more than Gimli, even chancing that Gimli said something not recorded by the Kings Writer or slipped Frodo's mind. Either way, he had nothing to say.

How did Elrond choose Gimli, at least without consideration?

It seems Gloin slipped Master Elrond a C-Note......either that, or a "Get out of the World's Fate Free and Accept the Gift of Men" Card.

Gloin.....he gave a bribe for his son's personal benifit, or to send his son away and hopefully die, therefore not having to spend more gold on him!!!

Ruthless Greedy Coldhearted Dwarf.
________
Vapor genie

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Elu Ancalime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #735
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Yes, yes Mast Formendacill. You have no idea how gratified I am to have thee helping me. I should be able to start posting the cast-outs starting regularly once again by, hopefully, tomorrow. I'm purposely lengthening today until tomorrow at 10:30, around the death of the WWJ game that I have going on. So expect to see this cast-out around that time tomorrow.

As for my vote, completely random from here on out as to remain biast:

++William
Old 01-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #736
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
As for my vote, completely random from here on out as to remain biast:

On a lighter note:

Hmm, you would think that a random choice would be a dwarf, considering their over population of this game!!!

Just kidding. Thanks to the philosophy of DAIN anyway. Do not forget the words of Carl Markz, the great DAIN philosopher:

Quote:
"The only good dwarf is one whom the tribe has spoken for."

[I am definatly not a commi or an anarchist ]
________
AMBER TRICHOMES

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:11 PM   #737
WaynetheGoblin
Shade of Carn Dûm

WaynetheGoblin has just left Hobbiton.
++belladona took
FOR KILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #738
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots "Carried away" only begins to describe what has happened to me here...

Hee hee, more fun stuff...

Quote:
I'm not at all clear how you can establish my political leanings simply by reference to a factual statement concerning the nature of the game.
You don't think that an online voting game based on a T.V. reality series centered around fictional characters is a good basis for social experimentation?

Where on earth do you find your data?

Quote:
As you well know, that particular incident is sub judice. Tom denies the allegation in its entirety and is entitled to a fair trial on his departure. You should watch what you say, unless you wish to find yourself in contempt of court.
This entirely depends on whose jurisdiction this island falls under. I am holding in my hands at this moment a writ that certifies that this Island was first discovered by Admiral Zheng He during his 1421 voyage that carried him to the Americas. This claim remains indisputable. This Island was a part of The Great Ming Empire. Unfortunately, the Ming suffered some...unpleasantness in and around the year 1644. Subsequently, all the nations of the world have adamantly maintained that the island belongs to somebody (anybody) else (indeed, there is some evidence that the War of Jenkins' Ear was actually fought because Great Britain and Spain each were deathly afraid that the other would succeed in ceding their rights to the island. All this other nonsense about trading rights and the Asiento was all a cover because both nations were so embarrassed by the prospect of having to own the place).

I'm afraid it seems that, even though the Ming perished 362 years ago, they still rule the island. Seeing as how my current avatar is of Zhu Yanzhang, Emperor Hongwu (Taizu), founder of the Ming, I think that gives me indisputable title to actually be the functioning magistrate of the island.

In this role, I received a complaint of aggravated assault and robbery from one Belladonna Took (a princess among hobbit maidens) against one Tom (a hooligan among rocky ruffians).

Needing no further evidence than the word of a lady, by the power invested in me I sentence

++ TOM

to be first banished from the Island and then subsequently suffer any of the other Five Punishments that seem like a good idea at the time.

Quote:
I am not quite sure why you continue to rail against me. Unless, of course, there is more to your words than meets the eye
Nope, no hidden meaning here. I’m afraid it is just for the jollies.

(You are going to have to turn your ridiculous knob to Maximum to top this lulu... )
Old 02-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #739
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Oyez, oyez!

Be it herewith made known to those who inhabit the realm and city known as the Barrow-Downs, that Belladonna Baggins, nee Took, daughter of Gerontius, is herewith to be cast forth from the game of chance known at "Survivor: The Hobbit" for reasons to be herewith listed:

Reason the First: That Belladonna Took (as Belladonna Baggins, nee Took, daughter of Gerontius shall be henceforth referred to) is guilty of the crime of indecency, as convicted by Justice K.U. Ruharan on evidence presented by F.A.T. regarding a certain "PlayHobbitlass".

Reason the Second: That the marriage of Bungo and Belladonna Baggins and the peace of their son Bilbo has been rendered apart by participation in the aforementioned "Survivor" game. The accused has henceforth been known by her maiden name of Belladonna Took.

Reason the Third: That the continued participation of Belladonna Took in the game of "Survivor" is an unspoken admission of the correctness of a prediction of Kuruharan the Prophet- a known Enemy of the State, and that her eviction is immediately required to quell his ego.

++Belladonna Took
Old 02-01-2006, 03:16 AM   #740
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

++TOM

I am touched that so many are keeping to their word. My faith in human nature is in fine fettle today.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:44 AM   #741
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
++TOM

Although SpM may disagree with me, I believe we have a clear policy how to deal with trolls here... Away with them!

Besides, anything to save poor Ms. Took.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:00 AM   #742
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Pipe

Quote:
Who is really leading the charge to assassinate the evictees? Belladonna, of course. Really, if she stays around much longer, she'll win by killing off the other contestants with her with her handy-dandy bottle of poisoned wine.
Celuien: if you're referring to that incident in
Venice with those nice Borgia people, I should
point out that Beladonna was barely involved.
She just gave Lucrecia a nudge out the door.

[B]+ + Tom[B]
Old 02-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #743
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin

[B]+ + Tom[B]
Actually I think the wondrous Lucrezia didn't operate in Venice much. Rome and Ferrara were her main centres of action...

Goodness, though, she was beautiful. If Benedict XVI could sire a daughter like that, I'd be much more inclined to agree with his policies...
Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #744
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin

[B]+ + Tom[B]

Actually I think the wondrous Lucrezia didn't operate in Venice much. Rome and Ferrara were her main centres of action...

--------------

Yup. Beladonna had heard such great things about
Venice when reading a review of the town in
"Letters" that she got the places confused.
(Of course, being a literary creation, you can't criticise
her too much).
Old 02-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #745
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril You Gotta Keep Up, No You Can Never Let Down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne
++belladona took
FOR KILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And for our lovable buffoon Tom!

++Belladona Took
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #746
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Belladona Took

Bilbo the buffoon came from her and that in itself is a serious crime.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #747
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots

Quote:
That Belladonna Took (as Belladonna Baggins, nee Took, daughter of Gerontius shall be henceforth referred to) is guilty of the crime of indecency, as convicted by Justice K.U. Ruharan on evidence presented by F.A.T. regarding a certain "PlayHobbitlass".
That case was thrown out of court due to preponderance of evidence. The charges were also not brought by F.A.T. but by a shadowy group styling themselves Lonely and Desperate (L.A.D.). It seemed they were a string of Belladonna's former boyfriends. Hardly objective witnesses.

Quote:
Kuruharan the Prophet- a known Enemy of the State, and that her eviction is immediately required to quell his ego.
His Majesty My Avatar...I mean, the Emperor, utterly rejects this scurrilous statement and on this Island he is the state (at least until I find some new tangent to go off on).
Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #748
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
That case was thrown out of court due to preponderance of evidence. The charges were also not brought by F.A.T. but by a shadowy group styling themselves Lonely and Desperate (L.A.D.). It seemed they were a string of Belladonna's former boyfriends. Hardly objective witnesses.
Upon appeal to a higher court (presided over by Chief Justice Michael A. Joosten), this ruling was overturned.

Quote:
His Majesty My Avatar...I mean, the Emperor, utterly rejects this scurrilous statement and on this Island he is the state (at least until I find some new tangent to go off on).
I'm afraid, Master "Emperor", that you have no juridiction here that I do not supercede.

Please take note of the name by which I have assumed the throne: Formendacil. In the great tradition of my ancestors, the Kings of Gondor (descended from Luthien- a claim no Dwarf or Easterling- however noble- can make), I have taken the a name based on my conquests. In this particular case that is Formen, meaning North.

And I don't mean some piddly little section of Forochel, but the whole Northern Hemisphere, including any and all territories held by the Ming Dynasty. If you retain any titles at all, it is at my sufferage.

As for the Southern Hemisphere... we'll have all that in a year or two.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #749
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

An oath is an oath ...

++ TOM

Besides, the "incident" with Belladonna and her ridiculous accusations are taking their toll on him. He is no longer the affable buffoon that arrived on the island, but a poor, tortured soul, riven with pain at the thought that such awful claims could be made against him and terrified that they will be believed in the world at large. He should be allowed to depart the Island so that he may clear his besmirched name.

In my eyes, he will (if he goes) leave with his (gnarled and warty) head held high.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #750
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Oh dear. Votes as they stand:
Tom 6, Belladonna 6, Gloin 1, William 1.

Dear Glirdan, dear Elu, can we sway you to our cause for today?
I never expect much from the likes Master Morm or That Rune. But you, Celuien, noble froglady? Well, I'm more sad than shocked.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:10 PM   #751
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

Well, Lalaith, if I cant have a dwarf evicted, the DAIN ideal is to keep Miss Took, so
--Gloin
++TOM
________
Jailbroken

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #752
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots Yes, a great deal of "carrying away" is taking place here.

His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Hongwu of the Great Ming Empire, Son of Heaven, Lord of Ten Thousand Years

To: The Pretentious Peasant styling himself Formendacil

His Majesty the Emperor has commanded me, His Imperial Majesty’s humble avatar bearer and lowly governor of this flyspeck of an island, to communicate to you a few pertinent points.

A) Your manner is unfit for communicating with His Imperial Majesty, it in fact being something of a capital offense.

Quote:
I have taken the a name based on my conquests.

-and-

including any and all territories held by the Ming Dynasty. If you retain any titles at all, it is at my sufferage.
B) His Imperial Majesty somehow failed to notice your alleged troops knocking about His Imperial Majesty’s dominions any time in the past few centuries. Seeing as how His Imperial Majesty would miss nothing of the sort, His Imperial Majesty thinks that this is nothing more than a whole lot of arrogant bluster. (And it is “sufferance”, not “suffrage.” Unless you are pretending to bestow the right to vote. )

Quote:
In the great tradition of my ancestors, the Kings of Gondor
C) His Imperial Majesty’s real empire was larger than the fictitious one that could ever be imputed to this barbarian land known as “Gondor.”

Quote:
descended from Luthien- a claim no Dwarf or Easterling- however noble- can make
D) His Imperial Majesty is not particularly bothered that His Imperial Majesty literally rose from peasant straight to emperor. It means that His Imperial Majesty gained all from his accomplishments and did not gain it from a bunch of stuck-up useless slackers who had everything handed to them on a silver platter.

E) His Imperial Majesty seriously doubts that you even possess a proper style and title or could present it fittingly.

F) His Imperial Majesty is pleased to point out that His Imperial Majesty’s portrait makes a really spiffy avatar. His Imperial Majesty doubts that you even possess a portrait in your supposed regal regalia. And even if you did it wouldn’t make a really spiffy avatar.

G) His Imperial Majesty created some pretty potent alliteration based on the letter “p” earlier in this message.

Quote:
In my eyes, he will (if he goes) leave with his (gnarled and warty) head held high.
At least until it is cut off in the fifth of the Five Punishments.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 02-01-2006 at 04:20 PM. Reason: *eekkkk* somehow or other His Imperial Majesty got the letters on his bullet points all messed up
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #753
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

*bows first to scary Kuru*
*then bows to Elu*
We thank you, your vote here will not be forgotten by the people of the Shire nor by those who value them. But you need to ---Gloin incase the mods are feeling picky....
Old 02-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #754
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
let's even up the votes now,
++ Took, Belladonna
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #755
Formendacil
Dead Serious

White Tree

Quote:
To: The Pretentious Peasant styling himself Formendacil
His Royal Majesty, King of Gondor and Arnor, Heir of Elendil, Overlord of the Northern Hemisphere, the High King Formendacil Telcontar deigns to reply to his conquered vassal.

Quote:
His Majesty the Emperor has commanded me, His Imperial Majesty’s humble avatar bearer and lowly governor of this flyspeck of an island, to communicate to you a few pertinent points.
To which HRM Formendacil Telcontar will reply, as follows:

Quote:
A) Your manner is unfit for communicating with His Imperial Majesty, it in fact being something of a capital offense.
His Royal Majesty is in agreement here, and notes that the conquered vassal should, in the future, be replied to in monosyllabic sentences, so that he will be able to comprehend what His Royal Majesty is saying.

To put it bluntly:

"I'll try to use smaller words from now on."

Quote:
B) His Imperial Majesty somehow failed to notice your alleged troops knocking about His Imperial Majesty’s dominions any time in the past few centuries. Seeing as how His Imperial Majesty would miss nothing of the sort, His Imperial Majesty thinks that this is nothing more than a whole lot of arrogant bluster. (And it is “sufferance”, not “suffrage.” Unless you are pretending to bestow the right to vote. )
His Royal Majesty is amused to note that the alleged Empire of the self-styled "Imperial Majesty" has, in fact, been gone for more than couple centuries, and is known in it's current form as "the People's Republic of China".

And, regarding suffrage/sufferance: perhaps His Royal Majesty mean that he willing suffers by allowing certain vassals to survive and insult him, such is his generousness to his conquered subjects.

Quote:
C) His Imperial Majesty’s real empire was larger than the fictitious one that could ever be imputed to this barbarian land known as “Gondor.”
His Royal Majesty notes that by the conquest of the Ming Empire, Gondor added its possessions to its own, and thus is clearly larger than the former nation known as the Ming Empire.

Quote:
D) His Imperial Majesty is not particularly bothered that His Imperial Majesty literally rose from peasant straight to emperor. It means that His Imperial Majesty gained all from his accomplishments and did not gain it from a bunch of stuck-up useless slackers who had everything handed to them on a silver platter.
His Royal Majesty notes that this is the sort of reply that an untitled pretender would make, and asks that he refer to the platter in question as mithril in the future.

Quote:
E) His Imperial Majesty seriously doubts that you even possess a proper style and title or could present it fittingly.
Considering that "His Imperial Majesty" is an untitled peasant, he really shouldn't be talking about being able to present a proper title.

Quote:
F) His Imperial Majesty is pleased to point out that His Imperial Majesty’s portrait makes a really spiffy avatar. His Imperial Majesty doubts that you even possess a portrait in your supposed regal regalia. And even if you did it wouldn’t make a really spiffy avatar.
His Royal Majesty would reminded the self-styled emperor that the regalia of the King of Gondor is, in fact, one of the icons of this website, a claim which the "Ming Emperor" cannot dispute.

Quote:
G) His Imperial Majesty created some pretty potent alliteration based on the letter “p” earlier in this message.
His Royal Majesty notes that alliteration is hardly a defense of the self-styled emperor's pretensions to power.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #756
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Oh dear. Votes as they stand:
Tom 6, Belladonna 6, Gloin 1, William 1.

Dear Glirdan, dear Elu, can we sway you to our cause for today?
I never expect much from the likes Master Morm or That Rune. But you, Celuien, noble froglady? Well, I'm more sad than shocked.
Glad as always to live up to expectations and you are living up to yours

Now then why should we not wish to evict the annoyance named Belladona? Gender has no sway in my voting. Should men hang on to every man because he's a man? Why must we distinguish and segregate based on gender? This creates inequality in itself. Should Belladona win because she is the only female...give it to her by default.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #757
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Not at all, mormy. I'm supporting Belladonna because is a seriously cool Hobbity person, irrespective of gender. And she's one of only two hobbits left in a show called Hobbit survivor.
But I suspect you and Rune are just voting Bella off because she's a girl. (You were both anti-Eowyn, too. I haven't forgotten.)
Old 02-01-2006, 06:55 PM   #758
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Well Lalaith, you have swayed me with this simple line:

Quote:
And she's one of only two hobbits left in a show called Hobbit survivor.
So

--William
++Tom

Thank you for showing me the light. But I will only vote if it is to keep her through to the final. In the final, my vote WILL be random.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #759
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Boots This is almost more fun than the game itself

His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Hongwu of the Great Ming Empire, Son of Heaven, Lord of Ten Thousand Years

To: The Persistently Pretentious Peasant styling himself Formendacil

His Imperial Majesty is pleased to command me, His Imperial Majesty’s humble avatar bearer and lowly magistrate of this flyspeck of an island, to again take up the pen in the cause of furthering Enlightenment throughout All-under-Heaven.

Attend to the Rescript which follows.

Quote:
His Royal Majesty, King of Gondor and Arnor, Heir of Elendil, Overlord of the Northern Hemisphere, the High King Formendacil Telcontar deigns to reply to his conquered vassal.
Your manner worsens in your latest missive. It is a crime to even compare yourself to His Imperial Majesty in any manner. This is utterly unacceptable. Worse, even in your fevered imaginings you can only style yourself “royal.” Even a legitimate possessor of the style of “royal” cannot articulate thusly to one whose style is “Imperial.” Your ignorance of the hierarchies does not speak well of your claims.

Quote:
"I'll try to use smaller words from now on."
His Imperial Majesty realizes with the greatest sympathy that correspondence with the Dragon Throne will tax the linguistic resources of even the greatest in the world. How much more so of a ragged unknown pretender from the supposed north of a house perpetually bereft of lordship and dignity? However, the application of grandiloquence to His Imperial Majesty’s correspondence is pleasing to His Imperial Majesty’s perception of decorum. This being the case, His Imperial Majesty is pleased to state it is His Imperial Majesty’s Will and Pleasure to persist in employing such magniloquence in all subsequent epistles.

Quote:
His Royal Majesty is amused to note that the alleged Empire of the self-styled "Imperial Majesty" has, in fact, been gone for more than couple centuries, and is known in it's current form as "the People's Republic of China".
His Imperial Majesty finds this an interesting remark from an alleged ruler of a kingdom that His Imperial Majesty can find no reference to in any reputable chronicle nor any evidence that it currently exists or ever has existed.

Quote:
And, regarding suffrage/sufferance: perhaps His Royal Majesty mean that he willing suffers by allowing certain vassals to survive and insult him, such is his generousness to his conquered subjects.
His Imperial Majesty understood you better than you did. His Imperial Majesty knew what you meant. However, His Imperial Majesty also understood that you failed to employ a tome known as a Dictionary before dispatching your former message.

Quote:
His Royal Majesty notes that by the conquest of the Ming Empire, Gondor added its possessions to its own, and thus is clearly larger than the former nation known as the Ming Empire.
His Imperial Majesty finds it passing curious that His Imperial Majesty can still find no evidence of this supposed event ever having occurred.

Quote:
His Royal Majesty notes that this is the sort of reply that an untitled pretender would make, and asks that he refer to the platter in question as mithril in the future.

-and-

Considering that "His Imperial Majesty" is an untitled peasant, he really shouldn't be talking about being able to present a proper title.
His Imperial Majesty possesses the Mandate of Heaven. This is literally worth the world more than birth or any other qualification you could name.

Quote:
His Royal Majesty would reminded the self-styled emperor that the regalia of the King of Gondor is, in fact, one of the icons of this website, a claim which the "Ming Emperor" cannot dispute.
His Imperial Majesty's original enquiry was to the location and detail of your (non-existent) coronation portrait. It is no great marvel to point to a (mythical) albino tree and say, “Thus am I a king!” It is a marvel to point to the largest and most cultured empire of one’s day that is under the benevolent guidance of His Imperial Majesty and say, “Thus are we an Emperor!”

His Imperial Majesty again points out that His Imperial Portrait makes a spiffy avatar.

Quote:
His Royal Majesty notes that alliteration is hardly a defense of the self-styled emperor's pretensions to power.
His Imperial Majesty observes that it makes His Imperial Majesty’s messages a sublime delight to the intellect to read.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #760
Elu Ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

To: The Persistently Pretentious Peasant styling himself Formendacil
And some Imperial Emperor of the Ming Dynasty known as Kuruharan

What would happen if a group of other broke off seceded from the Northern Hemisphere and refused to recognize the Ming Dynasty?

For example, what if a conglomeration of peoples unhappy with the way the Northern Hemisphere is being ruled, formed their own communist country under the despot of an Elf? And what if then they laughed at the trifle between the Emperor and the High King, resulting in the satire of a Soap Opera in this new country called, hmmmmm.......Hyarmendor under the rule of Thranduil!?!?!??!? And made Belladonna Took the First Hobbit Lady!?!?!?!?

BUM BUM BAHHHHHHHH
________
Silversurfer reviews

Last edited by Elu Ancalime; 03-03-2011 at 10:55 PM.