The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #41
jaz

Sting

My guess is that TTT will probably win awards like best special effects and best costumes, or whatever those categories are. I don’t think there will be any nominations for Best Actor and Best Actress. But I could see Viggo Mortensen nominated for Best Supporting Actor, but I think that the Academy will overlook his performance, those bastards! I really would love to see Elijah Wood nominated but I think he will be overlooked as well. I think Viggo has a better chance. Oh and I really hope that that the actor who played Gollum gets nominated. I don’t think there will be any nominations for Best Supporting Actress. What really irks me is that TTT probably won’t earn Best Director, I think ROTK is more likely to win that category. And the Best Picture race will be very, very competitive. I predict that it will be either Chicago or TTT that wins. And in the 2004 Oscars the competition will be worse for LOTR since both Matrix Sequels are coming out this year and are very likely to be nominated along side ROTK, but not for acting categories or best picture. But I really hope that the TTT wins either Best Director or Best Picture and hopefully both.<p>[ January 07, 2003: Message edited by: jaz ]
Old 01-15-2003, 07:06 AM   #42
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I just saw Harry Potter, The Chamber of Secrets yesterday, and believe me, TTT's Special Effects Oscar is by no means in the bag. The effects in Harry2 are pretty amazing. And remember that the Academy is biased against CG. Most of the Harry effects were part CG, part real-life, and it looked like quite a few were purely physical effects like back in the old days. I think the LOTR movies have fallen victim to dependence on CG.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #43
alkquareiel02
Animated Skeleton

alkquareiel02 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well i won't hold my breath on them getting anything again coz it was a let down with FoTR last year it cheesed me off it did. I have seen harry potter 2 aswell yeah the effects were good and that but I think the TTT should get something at least.
alkquareiel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #44
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't forget Attack of the Clones for special effects. Personally, I don't really care about the Oscars too much. I find the Academy makes the wrong decisions as much as they make the right ones. This isn't just me talking. Take the <A HREF="http://www.afi.com/tv/movies.asp" TARGET=_blank>American Film Institutes Top 100 Films of the Century</A> and then take the <A HREF="http://www.oscar.com/legacy/bestpicture_posters.html" TARGET=_blank>Best Picture Winners</A> and compare them. Oscar has a poor track record at recognizing greatness.<P>H.C.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:00 AM   #45
Airerūthiel
Wight

Airerūthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that the Academy is notorious for getting the nominations completely wrong. As this year's line-up looks like a Leo-fest and a gangland-fest in my opinion, TTT will be lucky to come away with the dreaded technical Oscars (films that are part of a series always end up with these). Saying that, though, next year the story will come to a close and the films will be nominated under RotK but the nominations (and the inevitable wins in decent categories next year) will be for the whole trilogy. Also, Howard Shore et al deserve to win yet another Oscar for the film's excellent score as they so rightly did last year.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:23 AM   #46
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Oscar's do kind of have a bad track record, like the film that is considered the best ever "Citizen Kane" never even won best picture.<BR>I still think TTT is going to be nominated for best picture, and I will be very surprised if it is not. I do not think it will win though, I would be shocked if it did.<BR>Now I may get into some very deep movie stuff, but it is good stuff.<BR>Now in Hollywood there is kind of a club of studios that always get their pictures nominated for best picture. The main two are Miramax and Dreamworks. Miramax does films such as "Chicago" and "Gangs of New York", and Dreamworks does all the Steven Spielberg (because he partly runs the studio) films, like "Catch me if you can". Miramax is always very good at advertsing. Some insiders think that is why some films such as the "The English Patient" won best picture, and the forgettable films like "Chocolat" and "In the Bedroom" got nominated for best picture. Here is the part that is connected to LOTR. One of the producers of LOTR is Harvey Winstein, who is the head of Miramax. He originally wanted to make the films, but did not have enough money. So when the films went to New Line he got to stay on as producer. The Best Picture race is almost like running for president. It sadly has a lot to do with how much advertsing, and "buzz" that you have. New Line is new to the whole award thing, FOTR was New Line's first film ever to be nominated for best picture. So if Harvey Winstein is a producer, and he is so good at advertising and everything, why doesn't he put some of his might behind LOTR? It is just something to think about (but it must be that he does not get as much money from LOTR, than the other films).
Old 02-10-2003, 09:25 PM   #47
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

Well let's refresh this thread, being that the Oscar Nominations are being announced tomorrow, and I know TTT is going to be nominated for something so we are all probably going to want to talk about it, so discuss away <P>I am just going to say that I think that TTT is going to get 10 nominations, because there is a lot of catagories that it is good enough to be nominated in but not to win.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:54 AM   #48
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have to say that apart from technical awards I doubt whther it will win any major oscars. <P><BR>If RoTK doesn't win anything, then it will be the biggets disgrace since Pulp fiction not winning best movie.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:29 AM   #49
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

The Oscar-nominations were announced just now and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers picked up a nomination for Best Film alongside 'The Hours', 'Chicago', 'Gangs of New York' and 'The Pianist'. Unfortunately no Best Director-nomination for PJ or Best Supporting Actor for Andy Serkis this year.<P>In the 'smaller' categories The Two Towers picked up nominations for:<P><BR>Art Direction<BR>Film Editing<P>Sound<P>Sound Editing<P>and Visual Effects!<P>
Old 02-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #50
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

The Oscars did a least one good thing, they gave them the Best Picture nomination, so that means that LOTR is more Godfather than Star Wars. They are now the second sequel ever to be nominated after the first one.<BR>Though...<BR>No nominations for best original score! the music was equal or better than the music for FOTR.<BR>No nominations for Peter Jackson! he was nominated for the guild awards, and all the other awards, he should have got one.<BR>NO Costume! they should have got one for that, the costumes were wonderful.<BR>Other than that, it was basically what I expected, though I predicted 10 noms, and it got 6, but it should have gotten more.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:19 PM   #51
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

I didn't expect the movie to get nominated for any of the major categories I just want it to win visual effects *crosses fingers*<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Coral ]
Old 02-11-2003, 05:22 PM   #52
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

That's kind of disappointing to see so few nominations for TTT compared to how many FOTR got. And I'm surprised to see no original score nomination.<BR>I think ROTK will do much better as it has an ending. What's so bad about TTT is the fact that it doesn't have a beginning or end. It's just not satisfying enough for most of the audience.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:41 PM   #53
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

<I>Minority Report</I> and <I>Signs</I> were both far better movies than <I>TTT</I>. Maybe even <I>The Ring</I>.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #54
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Maril's long post in this thread last year presciently covered most of the reasons why TTT did not do better than it did in the nominations.<P>Even so, it is indeed something that this middle film of a story picked up the Best Picture nomination, despite Hollywood's disinclination to recognize greatness.<P>On that subject, does anyone else feel that the Trilogy will earn a place much like <B>Gone With The Wind</B> or <B>Citizen Kane</B>, which is to say, movies that will likely NEVER be remade. Peter Jackson, perhaps for as long as movies are watched, has directed the definitive cinematic adaptation of LORD OF THE RINGS. No one else will ever try again.<P>Someone mentioned editing mistakes and bloopers. Also narrative in the midst of the film. I saw no bloopers, not even yesterday when the Mrs and I watched it at the matinee again.<P>I cannot help but think, especially after seeing the superiority of the Extended Version over the Theatrical Release of FOTR, that editing decisions will be remedied and the story will flow better in the TTT Extended Release. Really looking forward to that and quite glad of the opportunities afforded us by cutting edge modern media. Of course, it means that poor Peter Jackson has to edit SIX movies!<P>Oh, and someone didn't like Fran Walsh's writing. I don't know how (perhaps there's a way) to tell her writing from the others, but listening to the Writers Commentary on FOTR, I thought that she perhaps of the three best understood Tolkien's spirit of thought in many matters and did the most to bring the screenplay ever back to the words the professor wrote.<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Gilthalion ]
Old 02-11-2003, 06:00 PM   #55
red
Spirit of Mischief

red has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Indeed, bolo. All three were better. I didn't even begin to nod off during those three movies. My boyfriend had to nudge me awake a few times during TTT. hehe!<P>GIL!!<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: red ]
Old 02-11-2003, 06:05 PM   #56
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

The only good thing (for me) about TTT not getting a ton of nominations is that means that PJ and the entire team can keep working on ROTK, instead of coming to the US and doing press, going to award shows and getting fitted for tuxes. Because that was one problem they had last year, cause they had not planned for FOTR to receive all those nominations. They will have all this extra time to make ROTK the best that it can be!
Old 02-11-2003, 06:14 PM   #57
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

TTT will win visual effects, sound and maybe editing. But what's so $%^%$*(@ furstaiting is that they realeased at the same time as, Chicago, Ganges of New York, Road to Perdition, Signs,The Pianist, ect. So they won't win best picture even though it's the best movie.(Stupid Academy!) <BR> Last year FOTR came out at the same time as A Beautiful Mind (which didn't deserve to win)and got majorly scuwd. There's always something. Also, Peter Jackson should have at least been nonminated for best director along with Andy Serkis for Best Supporting Actor. ROTK MUST, WILL, win best picure next year. (Battle of Pelenor fields, Mt. Doom, Battle of Bywater, Come On!)
Old 02-11-2003, 06:23 PM   #58
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Howard Shore deserved a nomination for TTT, and I am <I>vexed</I> at the Academy for this. <P>TTT will <I>not</I> win Best Picture, but I still (naively, perhaps?) believe that RotK will get that honor in a little over a year.<P>Oh, and as a sidenote, you know, critics are people too. Some of you guys make them sound like a bunch of Nazis. They're not.*<P>And as <I>another</I> sidenote (lest you think I have shed my tendency to nit-pick), "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was a movie about China, it has nothing to do with Japan.<P>*-I hobnob with critics and thus get to see movies for free. So not an entire lack of bias there. <p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 02-11-2003, 06:34 PM   #59
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Sting

They are not bad people, and I know many critic who really like LOTR. But there just seems to be a certain group of critics and academy voters who seem to give LOTR no respect. I know they have their reasons for not voting for it, but I guess I just don't get them.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:47 PM   #60
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Personally, I think that TTT deserves no Oscars other than Best Costume, Best Original Score, and perhaps Best Special Effects (the <I>perhaps</I> due to George Lucas). The acting was fair, but not profound, and although it is <B>quite</B> an <B>adaptation</B> of Tolkien's work, I think that as long as another fairly good literary adaptation out there, TTT will not recieve the Oscar. Best Director will, most likely, go to the winner of Best Picture (definately not TTT), but I may be wrong...<P>I do, like others, agree that a complete streak is coming up at this time next year, and wait for RotK to reap the benefits of Tolkien's writing at last. (Lest PJ blow it completely)<P>Iarwain
Old 02-12-2003, 04:25 PM   #61
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Obviously many of you are wondering why TTT didn't do so great at the Oscars. <A HREF="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hollywoodreporter/frontpage/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1815539" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is an article about just that.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:36 PM   #62
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thank you for the link, it cleared quite a bit up. I hope that RotK will win best picture next year though!<P>~Hirilaelin, Dragon Sorceress of Doom
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #63
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this isn't about LotRs. I also know that I don't get out to see nearly enough movies as I finally saw Adaptation today.<P>I least now I know which film should have won the best picture oscar.<P>H.C.