The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-12-2002, 01:34 PM   #1
MushrooM

Pipe how did LOTR change you?

Throughout life we learn many things. Learning how to read is one of them. When I first recived the book, Lord of The Rings, i was only interested because of the movie, but as I read on it took me away and my thinking patterns were changed, i was no longer the boycrazy teenager I was before. I have to say that this book acually changed me. It effected me in a way I thought was not earthy possible and I find myself even dressing different because of it. Please tell here of how this amazing book has effected your life...
Old 09-12-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Mushroom,

Good topic. My goodness, how hasn't LOTR changed me? I've been reading it for 30 years, and I wonder if there is any part of my life it hasn't affected.
For starters:
Aragorn and Arwen's fidelity to each other over 60+ years deeply affected my idea of romance, courtship, engagement and marriage.
Boromir, Farair, and Eomer, and Eowyn, affected my concept of loyalty-- to family, to friends, to country. Later, the hobbits did too.
Elves affected my concept of spirituality (hugely.)
Elves singing in the woods & looking at the stars & naming woodland wildflowers got me interested in music, astronomy and gardening.
Tolkien himself, and some of his own stories about writing his stories, got me interested in writing.
Bilbo and Frodo (and others too) got me interested in writing poetry.
Frodo (even now) is getting me interested in going on autumn walks.
There's probably more but my post is already too long!

--mark12_30

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-12-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sincerly... my story is almost like your story mushroom... except that i'm a teenage girl... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But it changed me so much, in so many ways... I'm a very different person since I read it. Some friends, after a long absence, didn't recognized me... My behaviour is different, my perception on things has changed... Now I love the books, and I read them since may (when I read them for the first time) for at least 4 times... OK... my post is getting boring, so I'll finish here.

Anunia

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:43 PM   #4
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Ah, yes, I was like you Anunia, a teenage girl hoplessly lost amoung a crowd of wannabe cheerleaders and highschool dances. That is, untill I found Lord of the Rings. My friend had mentioned the books to me earlier on before the movie had come out, but of course I had no clue as to what she was chattering away about. And so like many others it was the movie that first grabbed my atention, but later on it was the books that made me stay.
I find that because of the books I have learned many things, but not quite everything yet. Currently I am reading Unfinished Tales, and I am finding that, once agan, I am changing, both on the inside, and the out.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:04 PM   #5
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

very cool daisy!

How come there were no tolkien reading cheer leaders in MY high school!

anyway JRRT turned my world upside down.

Elves esp have coloured my images of ideal music.

JRRT in general got me to look at the Bible seriously, and ultimately to become an Orthodox Christian.

The elves still to this day tech me about how I would like to homeschool, heck so many things I better just come back and edit this later when i have more time.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 04:30 PM   #6
Sea-elf

Thumbs up

I first read The Hobbit and LOTR about twenty years ago, and it's affected me in many ways especially as an artist. Also it introduced me to the whole fantasy genre that basically took off because of Tolkien's success. I'm now beginning to read the Unfinished Tales series and I'm still in awe of his creative process.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:38 PM   #7
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
I think every body whos read Tolkien has changed.
I personally have changed so much that People who taught me for eight years dont recognise me as the person I was.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 07:16 AM   #8
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't think that LOTR has really changed me; rather it has offered me another world to explore and love. Although I know this is a change of perspective, it isn't a concrete emotional change such as greater loyalty, confidence or increased appreciation for art and music.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 07:56 AM   #9
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think M-E will have a greater effect on people who havenothad the benefit of growing up w/ a 'tradition'. Wether religious, cultural or even artistic.

And by tradition I secifically am excluding america-driven western anti-culture.

JRRT seemed so aware and heartfeltedly wounded by the mechanization going on in society that LotR and co. is in many ways a reaction against it, in addition to being an affirmation of so many things.

So my point was that since I had [ and others I know] had such huge voids in their lives, the legendariuum, expressing truth as it does, can and for many has filled in a massive vacuum left by our decling culture.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:08 AM   #10
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

As i have said in another Post It would take more words than in all his books to describe the inspiration and emotion he has planted in my heart.

As for the changes as you described Mushroom Unfortunately i had to go through most of them the hard way with much deliberation self conflict and years of sleepless nights, Unshureness, and sometimes feeling as if insignificant and a gigantic world, But with the Books finaly reached me it was rasureance. i could sleep better and i felt as if my life had meaning, and i had my own epic quest to complete (My own ring to bear) so to speak.
And yes even dressing different i have left behind the pointless trends and Fashions we are forced to take heed to in this world, and realized our deeds in this world is what will be our clothing when our time comes.

If you cant make sense out of what i just said, its ok i tend to rant and babble and sometimes i cant even make sense out of myself.

Glen Sight
Guildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:32 AM   #11
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I mentioned it in another thread yesterday, but since I'm just a "beginner," so far, The Hobbit and FotR brought me back to my senses.

Turning the pages made me escape (a popular word in the realms of Fantasy Lit), and gave a break from tons of school work.

I went trekking a few weeks back, and I thought that I would never make it. But I was so into it the moment I was actually trekking, and thought "this is easy." I put myself in the shoes of the hobbits on their first leg of the journey, and suddenly, I slipped and nearly fell off the path of slippery mud and into a white water part of a river. At that moment, I cried for a while, and I realized how hard it actually is to move around around like that while Nazgul are hunting you down. Thought my story may be a little far-fetched, I was humbled.

Hope I can expalin some more. I'm getting a little sleepy.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:14 PM   #12
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess I was lucky to have had the blessings of a household that embraced Fantasy, especially for children. I was read a fairytale, (from Grimm) when I was old enough, and grew up in an Irish matriarchal household. They taught me of selkies and Irish legends, and got me dreaming at a very young age.
I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout for many years, right up until they asked me to become a leader! I nearly fainted when they quoted me the price for further education - so I quit. I have always had an affinity for forests, wild plants, and the fauna of Long Island and NY. To say that LOTR changed me drastically in those matters would be a lie.
It did, however, raise my interest when the Rangers were spoken of; and from it I have a different perspective upon what I do (when trodding in the wild.)
I still expect to stumble on a Hobbit village one day...or Elves, deep in their woods. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Someday, maybe.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:51 PM   #13
Mithuial
Animated Skeleton

Mithuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithuial
Sting

My father introduced me to LotR when I was twelve, and I'll never forget him for it. I've read the book every year since then. For me, it's been a totally awesome experience in pretty much every way I can think of. I remember my freshman year in high shcool, coming home from shcool in tears about one thing or another, but I knew things would be okay because at home, waiting for me there'd be some hot cocoa, and a Bible and LotR. Those three things have gotten me through so much. Lord of the Rings is so much more than just a book, it's a bridge. A bridge to Middle Earth that we can creep across when we need a moment to ourselves in order to remain sane. I love them so much!
"And Maglor answered: 'If it be truly the Silmaril which we saw cast into the sea that rises again by the power of the Valar, then let us be glad; for its glory is seen now by many, and is yet secure from all evil.' Then the Elves looked up, and despaired no longer, but Morgoth was filled with doubt." -The Silmarillion.
Mithuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:21 AM   #14
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Thumbs up

Well well...how has LotR changed my life? Well for starters i was the kind of person who bagged out every fantasy book made! I used to tease my friends for reading such books...That was until one of my friends directed me to the Hobbit b/c she thought id like it...Golly she was right!
Tolkiens books have given me a wider perspective of the whole fantasy genre really...And taught me not to be judgemental with everything i find "weird" or different.
The books have opened up a whole new world with me...and im sure they did the same to other readers... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:25 PM   #15
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It has changed my life in so many ways that I can't even begin to describe it...but most importantly it has changed my whole attitude towards life. During the last years, I had grown quite sceptic, not really believing in anything good and basically, thinking that one person can't do much to change this world. Well, after reading about the adventures of Frodo...my views have altered considerably! I want to be as brave as him (and the others), fight for the things that I find important, and believe that what I do (or don't), really matters.
For me, the hobbits are the best role-models.So small and so scared (like me), but still so brave and loyal.And their hearts of pure gold...
Old 09-15-2002, 10:43 AM   #16
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOTR has changed my life in so many ways it would be impossible for me to list them all, even if I knew them all.
I think that most importantly it has taught me that you can do anything, you just have to be determined enough to do it, and believe in yourself.
Old 09-15-2002, 11:08 AM   #17
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't even know how to describe it, but LOTR has changed me more than anything I've read. When I finished it, I cried for half an hour. Not really 'cause the ending is sad, 'cause it's not, when you read the appendixes and find out that Sam gets to see his Master Frodo again... It was because I couldn't believe I really had finished. I've only had time to read it that one time, but still I remember all kinds of tiny details, almost a year after I read it.. I have become interested in whole new things, and started hanging out here, which has given me a bunch of new friends (once again, thanks Samwise, for being so welcoming!). Well, as I said, I'm not being very good at describing my relationship with LOTR, but it is undescribable...

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]