The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Ring middle earth hairstlyes

i cant find any ideas or how to do any middle earth hairstlyes can you help?please [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadurwen ]
Old 07-29-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
Alatariel Telemnar
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alatariel Telemnar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alatariel Telemnar
Sting

One time me and me friend put part of our hair back in a ponytail, and she briaded that part, then we had two bangs hanging down from where our part would be in the front, it looked kinda elvish... I guess... but about your thread name, maybe you should try another name like Elvish Hairstyles....

'Poor ye. Ye're tied to someone who's been photographed trying to shave their hand... My condolences.'
Alatariel Telemnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:27 PM   #3
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You could try the Galadriel hairstyle, making your hair wavy and then pinning the front of it back.
*does the Wave for sort of chronological order*
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #4
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Well, I don't know if this counts as elvish, per se, but it does look like something out of a fantasy universe. It only works if you have about shoulder length or longer hair.

Put half of your hair up in a half-ponytail, then use a clip to secure it in a bun. (I use a clip that has a fluted top so it looks more ornamental) Braid the rest. You could do a fishtail braid to make it more interesting, but I can't do that because I braid it myself and that braid is hard to do without being able to see it.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:16 AM   #5
Maikadurwen
Wight

Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Ring

i ll try that one [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 07:19 AM   #6
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Braiding is always good and Elvish, but if you have really short hair, then grab a wig! (I used to use wigs, but I grew my hair out to be "Elvish")
Old 07-30-2003, 08:20 AM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have naturally wavy hair, plus it is long and pale. So I can be Eowyn, who I already kinda look like, or I can tie part of it back and look exactly like Eomer.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 AM   #8
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have curly reddish-brown hair that's about an inch or two below my shoulders (I've been growing it out for 10 years now- it grows really slowly [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] ), so I can look kind of like Arwen. Unfortunately I have bangs, which no girl in Middle-Earth seems to have, and I look really bad without them, so they're here to stay. If you pull your hair back into a half ponytail, but leave out the hair right in front of your ears, you can do the Arwen/Galadriel look. I have a friend who did her hair to look like Legolas with a half ponytail in a fishtail braid, and little french braids over the ears(not that I'm Legolas obsessed, but it was a cool hairstyle). My little brother looks quite a bit like Frodo [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img], especially when he needs a haircut(he has dark brown, wavy hair, kind of longish for a boy).
Old 07-30-2003, 11:17 AM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ah, back in the day. I'd really like to be able to do some of these styles on myself, except for some odd reason, every time my hair gets long enough (past my shoulders) I hack it off to chin length or shorter. Right now it's sort of long (down to my collar), but I still can't do this stuff to myself. However, I've got this wonderful friend who lets me play with her hair and it's absolutely perfect for Elven-type hair styles (almost black, naturally wavy, half-way down her back).

One day I sort of created a style similar to the "Legolas braids". Rather than pulling her hair into a half horse tail, I did all of it (except for the side braids) and did a fishtail braid. Then I did the side braids and wrapped then around the fishtail one (like the Renaissance styles) and secured the end. It was really cool looking.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:24 AM   #10
Elen Ilúvitauri
Pile O'Bones

Elen Ilúvitauri has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

There is a way to get the effect of Galadriel's side waves...

You know the old hairstyles of the 20's and 30's? the one where women had their hair waved... (think Chicago, or get your hands on a really old movie if you dont know what i mean)

You can actually go to a hair stylest and get the stylised clips that you set in your hair while wet. Let dry for 2 hours, Then Blow-dry your hair (with the clips in)When you are sure your hair is dry, take it out of the clips and spray with vast amounts of hairspray. Brush out to get rid of the heavy look, but so that the hair still stays together.

If done correctly (and it may take a few goes) you will have ol' Gladdy's hair in no time. You may want to pin the very side bits back to make it look more elvish, but this will depend on hair length. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Woah...

Ive only done it once on a friend, but even then i had supervision from a hair stylist. For great results first time, a professional hair stylist could do it for you, but it might be a little expensive, but again this depends on hairdresser.

....Ok, im a starting designer, it goes with the territory. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Elen Ilúvitauri ]

Tommy, SNATCH'S answer to Pippin.
Elen Ilúvitauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:33 AM   #11
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

Simple; don't wash your hair ever again and voila! Aragorn hair!!!

Okay, but seriously, I have long blonde hair (Well, only after I've washed and dried it. Or if the weathers nice. My hair is v. tempremntal...) and for archery I make two short plaites behind my ears, draw them back and plaite them together. It kinda looks elvish... But it only stays in for half the time I'm there becuase my hair can't stand to be tied up for more than an hour, so when I come out of archery it looks like hobbit hair because its just tied back loosly with any random hair band I can find
Old 07-31-2003, 01:30 PM   #12
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmm i've been surfing a bit and i found alot of good sites here's one of them braid website it's really good to get ideas and stuff.

oh and i like this one legolas braid

but i think the key to having an elvish hairstyle is to have it sort of free and flowing but good luck and have fun. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 07-31-2003, 11:13 PM   #13
Lily Bombadil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lily Bombadil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I dunno about elvish, but hobbitish I know. Wet hair and use a liberal amount of John Freida's Frizz Ease Corrective styling mousse. Or his hair serum, but these mostly work for naturally curly haired folks.

When I want elvish hair, I blowdry it straight, curl it with my fat curling iron, pin back my bangs, & put this big necklace around my head like a circlet.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 AM   #14
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

My hair isn't long enough to do anything really Elvish with it, but I can definitely get it into a hobbit-style! This is what works for me:

Get your hair completely wet; best when you've just gotten out of the shower. Spray on plenty of Bed Head Uptight curl maker. Scrunch your hair up with your fists while blow drying it just a little bit. Apply hair gel, more or less depending on how long you need the curls to stay. Blow dry completely, still scrunching. Then you can just leave it to hang or pin it back away from your face.

This might not work for everyone; I have naturally wavy (and temperamental) hair and so I find this works very well. But you may experiment as you wish.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 08-03-2003, 01:12 AM   #15
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I can not recommend Elen's way more! Its great!.. becuase i was the person she did it to. I does look like Galadriel's hair, its amazing. No need for a wig.

Oh man, i wish i had short curly hair! How mad does hobbit hair sound!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #16
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Sting

I found this website- it's rather good, and shows how to do the styles to other people. It's not quite as easy to do to yourself though.
Dream Weaver Braiding

Fea
Old 08-04-2003, 08:47 PM   #17
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

I have brown hair below my shoulder blades. One day, my friend braided lots of small sections of my hair. The tops of the briads were hidden under the top layers. She pulled back the hair just above my ears, and clipped them. It looked REALLY cool, and very Elvish. If more detail is needed, just ask.

Nehani

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:59 AM   #18
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

these are some really good ideas [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 AM   #19
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When watching FotR, I've been madly trying to see the back of Arwen's head to see how she holds her hair back. What I found out is that if you somehow manage to attach a necklace with
lots of long dangly parts to the back of your head it might look like hers. I wish I could find one of those metal headbands like Elrond and Galadriel wear.

Lily Bombadil's idea of putting a necklace around your head looks really awesome- unless you have bangs like I do that cover it up [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] . Try to look for a big rinestone necklace that has a part that goes farther down in the middle. You can usually get them cheaply in thrift stores if your mom doesn't have any.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:55 PM   #20
Amarantha_Daisy
Wight

Amarantha_Daisy has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I have short brown hair, so I can do hobbit hair! Which works, because I love hobbits. I do pretty much what everyone else said. After you get out of the shower, put a handful of gel in your hair and scrunch it around a bit. It'll look like a mess, like it's half wet-half dry. *winks*

Works great for me. My friends don't like it...they think it looks like my hair is just frizzing from the humidity. It's not too stylish... just for that hobbit-feeling [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #21
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
I wish I could find one of those metal headbands like Elrond and Galadriel wear.
You can buy those, actually. I think I saw them in a Noble Collection catalog... I saw Elrond's and Arwen's, anyway. Very cool.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 08-10-2003, 11:32 AM   #22
Maikadurwen
Wight

Sting

um what if your hair gets stuck in the blowdrier [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2003, 07:39 PM   #23
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

um, you yell a lot... And then blowdry your hair upside down and from the outside in.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote