The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Concerning the way into Moria...

I need help clearing something up about The Company's journey into Moria. Even after all the times I have read this passage new images spring to mind and new questions arrive. When the Fellowship reaches the top of the Stair cut in the stone and they see the valley that has been flooded because of the dammed Sirannon, how do they get to that little pool with dirty water that is only a little over their feet in depth?

I might have missed something, but I was confused as to how they got to this little pool where they reached the entrance to Moria. Gandalf said they could not go the same way they were going to since the flood was far too dangerous, but then it does not say how they reached that little pool in which they crossed. Did they just carefully go around the floods edges and then come to it? But then they do that anyway, after the little pool. That's why I'm confused too.

Any help?
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I suppose everyone is at a loss then?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I am here, just wasn't here for the weekend so couldn't have replied sooner

You see, as I understand it, there is just one great lake in front of the gate. The Fellowship goes around its northern border to reach the Walls of Moria without getting wet. However, at one point, they have to step into the water after all: and that's not any pool, that would be separate from the lake, but a "narrow creek" that simply is in their way: the water reaches as far as the wall. And, it is only several feet high.

I am not sure what you mean by Gandalf saying they could not go the same way. I didn't find anything like that in the chapter. Since they reach the Gate, they only discuss opening the door and the uneasy feeling the water gives, and later, they are trapped inside so they cannot go back even if they wanted.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Gandalf does say
Quote:
.....this way is blocked. None of the Company, I guess, will wish to swim this gloomy water at the end of the day. It has an unwholesome look.
It does look like they just went off the road and around the nothern edge, crossing on the way a creek that fed into the lake.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks! Inziladun, indeed that was the quote I was looking for. It confused me a bit because of what Gandalf said. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
De nada. It's rare that I get to respond to any posts before others have already said all there is to say.