Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #41
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Hello Imladris, Aman, and Pio,

I've been debating back and forth about asking to play one of the female dwarves. What are the requirements (aside from reading the book, of course) regarding the female dwarves? Are they primary characters or minor?

Of course I realise I will have to post in The Green Dragon as I have not yet done so, and apply as usual with a first-post and character bio. I am trying to decide whether I can fairly commit to this (espcially since I will be on travel soon.) Aman or Imladris, could you please indicate the level of Female Dwarf involvement neccessary so I can make the right decision on this?

Many thanks.

mark12_30

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:05 AM January 05, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #42
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

mark 12_30 I've shot an e-mail off to Aman and I'll see what she says; however I'm sure it is very duable. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #43
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Eye

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Setting Sails for Valinor.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – The Green Dragon Inn

NAME: Flói

RACE: Dwarf

WEAPONS: A combat axe, which he is slowly learning to wield.

APPEARANCE: A very young Dwarf(although quite tall), with short brown beard and brown eyes. He wears a deep blue cloak.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: A Dwarf of very proud bearing. Flói is quite mistrustful(especially of other races). He is cunning in craft, but inept in all else. In his works he makes lavish use of mithril(despite its scarcity), which motivated him to join this expedition.

HISTORY: He was born in the Iron Mountains, and moved to Erebor after Battle of the Five Armies.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Nilpaurion Felagund's post

"A letter for you, Flói!" a messenger cried at the threshold of the Dwarf's dwelling.

Flói peeped through his door, with a look of annoyance. Why can't these people just leave me in peace. Opening his door, his hand shot out to grab the letter. He quickly closed the door, and shouted.

"Thank you! Now leave me alone!"

At the flap of the envelope was written:

A message of Balin son of Fundin to Flói son of Rói.

"And what would that uppish Dwarf want to have to do with me?" he said to himself, as he lifted the flap.

Dear Flói,

I, Balin invite you to partake in an expedition of honor, glory, and riches. I only ask you to visit me with a band of other Dwarves near King Dain's hall. There is some travel involved, and quite a bit of fighting, and...possibly injuries on one level or another...but the reward fully compensates the trials you face. And then some! If you would please visit me at mid-day, I would be much obliged.

Cordially yours, Balin son of Fundin.

"Hmmm..." thought the Dwarf in his chamber, as pensively reread the missive. "Khazad-dûm...the only place in Middle-earth where mithril is found. Mithril!" He rushed to his old books about the realm of Dwarrowdelf, written by his ancestors who fled there during the sinking of Beleriand.

"If the mithril found there is as much as it says here, I'll be extremely rich!"

That was Flói, in all dealings. He forgets his antipathy toward all others when a great fortune is involved. As he packed his bags, his mind was thinking of the wonderful things his hands could craft once in possession of the fabled treasure, oblivious to the danger to himself...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:47 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Nilpaurion Felagund ]
Old 01-05-2004, 11:57 PM   #44
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Welcome, Nilpaurion Felagund! I need to talk to Aman before we can accept you, but it looks very good... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But could you, Pirky Ent , and Gird , please change this typo (I'm sorry, it suddenly clicked that this was a typo):

Quote:
possibly injuries on one lever or another...
to:

Quote:
possibly injuries on one level or another...
Thank you and cheers! Sorry it took me so long to bring to your attention... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Imladris

NILPAURION F, GIRD, AND PERKY ENT - I CHANGED "LEVER" TO "LEVEL" IN ALL YOUR POSTS

~*~ PIO

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:59 AM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

Old 01-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #45
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Character Description Form:
1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – Yes; Lonely Star (2 out of 4 'chapters', The Shadow of the Star (I left the game shortly after it started) and The Threat of the Trees (my character's activity in that game is finished.)
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?
None, although I am working on a proposal.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – Yes, the Green Dragon, yesterday (1/5/04).

RACE: dwarf

WEAPONS The usual selection of axes, armor, and chain mail found on the average male dwarf
APPEARANCE: Solid, stocky, strong; brown-eyed; thick brown hair in dwarvish braids; Blue cloak and blue hood with white tassel. For her disguise, she keeps a removable beard made from her own hair.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: The usual distrust of elves, love of treasure and good workmanship found in the average dwarf. This particular female dwarf does not like ale, but drinks it when disguised as a male to maintain the disguise. She prefers working with precious metals and jewels, is willing to work with iron as needed, but not willing to do stonework (which she hates.) She mistrusts females of any race including her own, and is so used to secrecy she reveals her private thoughts to no-one. She is as yet, unspoken for and while she would like to find a male dwarf to be interested in, she can't be vulnerable enough to interest anyone.

HISTORY: Grew up in Erebor with very little interesting or unusual happening to her. She's made a lot of jewellry in the past twenty years. Her parents nag her incessantly about getting married. It is partly to escape their nagging that she is so ready and willing to leave Erebor and go to Moria.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Mark 12_30's post

Her father entered, and she looked up from her worktable, wreathed in smoke from her little forge-fire in the kiln-like firepit not far from her side. He waved a sealed letter, eyes sparkling. "Letter for you, Lîs. From Balin." Her father put the letter on the table, but his bushy eyebrows stuck out at her, and he fidgeted as he waited.

She sighed, knowing that her father was hoping it was a marriage proposal. She was on a nodding aquaintance only with Balin, and her father always jumped to ridiculous conclusions. He was worse than mother.

"I'll get to it in a minute, father." She bent once again over her work-- a delicate bracelet, commissioned by one of Thranduil's courtiers for his fiancee. The opal she had been setting had cracked from the heat, and now she was preparing another one. She hated setting opals, but so did everyone else, and the work commanded a high price.

Her father fidgeted and fussed, bustling about, and finally snorted. "Have pity on your father's grey beard. Open the letter, Lîs-lassie, before I burst with curiosity!"

"Father, I don't know why Balin would be writing to me, but I assure you, it's not for the reasons you are guessing." She continued working, worried about the opal, and her father fidgeted some more until she said, "Please open it, Father, and read it to me."

He pounced on the letter, and devoured it silently. Surprise, disappointment, pride, hope, and glee washed over his face by turns.

"What does it say, father?"

"Lîs-lassie, you've been invited to rebuild Moria," he said. "They're putting together an expedition with Dain's permission. Risky business. Well, he won't go without a good group of fellows. You'll have the pick of the lot, my girl. I imagine he'll be bringing the best in the kingdom. Of course, they'll all be quite interested in you. Wonderful opportunity. You'll--"

"Father, please, " Lîs said mildly. "Would you like to write back to him, and tell him I accept?"

She could see that her father was torn between hope and sorrow, and she looked him in the eye, and measured the moment.

"I'll go, father, " she said, quietly. "But not because of the other dwarves. I will go to find and fashion the Truesilver."

He nodded. "All right, girl. I'll write the letter, Lîs-lassie, and proudly too," he said.

"Thank you, father," she said, and with tightened lips and troubled eyes returned to the bracelet. This time the opal did not crack.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:47 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 01-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #46
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Tolkien

Hello! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm very sorry that my post comes so late.

[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I've been quite busy, but now I'm finished. (If I don't need to fix/change anything...Heh) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Carlas-
I used your character Nazklash in my post. I know I didn't ask, so kill me if you don't like it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Just PM me or something if you'd like me to change anything. I'll do it right away.

THIS POST, EDITED FOR TYPOS, IS NOW ON PAGE 1 OF THE DISCUSSSION THREAD, UNDER THE CHARACTER BIO FOR OROFANIEL

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:41 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #47
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

mark 12_30 , I need to talk to Aman before we can accept you but it looks very good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Orofaniel , thank you very much for the revised first post (there are just a few typos that need fixing). And there is no need to apologize that it came so late. I just need to talk to Aman as before, but it looks ver good as well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers all!
Imladris

Old 01-06-2004, 11:26 AM   #48
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Imladris,

Of course! Take your time, and not to worry. I'm fine with whatever you decide.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:54 PM   #49
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Saraphim - as I said in my response to your PM reply, as you are indeed going in the way myself and Imladris hoped, welcome to Moria [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Randomhobbit - You need to reply to my PM or you cannot be accepted. Please. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mark12_30 - Lovely as ever, my dear - Imladris and I are both impressed, and whatever time you have to give is fine [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Welcome to Moria.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #50
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1)Have you ever played in a RPG at the Barrow-Downs?

Nope.

2)In how many RPG's are you currently involved?

None.

3)Have you posted at the White Horse inn in Rohan or at the Green Dragon?

Yes, the Green Dragon.

NAME: Alrik Stonebeard

WEAPONS: Alrik carries a great axe, a valuable heirloom passed to him by his father, which has its double blade forged in a way that resembles an eagle taking flight. Alrik also carries a short blade by his side.

APPEARANCE: A dwarf of very old age, Alrik's snow-white beard stretches nearly to his toes, which is why it is well-plaited and bound with gold rings. He normally keeps it stuffed under his belt, out of harms way. His cold-blue eyes peer at the world with a considered disapproval.

Alrik wears a fine suit of dwarfen mail which includes a war-mask, made in likenes of the masks used by the dwarf's of old for the wars against dragon kind.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Alrik is counted old even amongst his own kin, and as such is awarded (and expects!) due respect for his venerability. He likes to keep to the old ways, not understanding why some dwarfs insist on 'fixing what ain’t broke'. He has little fancy for the modern way of mining or smithing.

Dwarfs keep on getting tougher with age, and Alrik is like an old and gnarly oak: grizzled but still strong. He trusts greatly in the courage and resolve of his fellows, and is a loyal friend.

His weaknesses are that he likes to keep to the tried and tested methods of war and peace, preferring never to try something new and unheard of. The name of Moria is also inscribed in fiery letters into his mind, not giving him peace until the great city is once more in the hands of dwarfen kind.

HISTORY: Alrik fought in the Battle of Five Armies, marching with his brethren from the Iron Mountain. After the victorious battle he helped Dain with the re-colonization of the Lonely Mountain and has since served the King Under the Mountain. The smithing of weapons and the carving of tunnels was his work in the ancient hold.

Will Witfoot's post

Alrik was in his smithy, fixing a couple of broken links from his chainmail shirt. The armour had been partially penetrated by a sword blow of a goblin during the latest scrap with them near the shores of Esgaroth. Those creatures sure had seemed a lot tougher when he had been a lad.

He paused an lifted the shirt to eye-level. Satisfied with his own work he took off the leather appron he had worn to protect himself from the heat, hung his hammer beside the door and made for the hall where ale was served. It would taste fine after the days work he had done.

He had barely time to sip from his tankard when a messenger in the livery of King Dain strode over to him with a purposeful step. Bowing in the formal way of greeting, he handed him a letter from Lord Balin. So it read:

Honoured Alrik Stonebeard,

As the strength of our people has in the recent years grown many-fold from its once depleted might, I now wish to embark (with any willing company) on a journey which, if successful, will truly raise our people to our former glory. I ask you, as a loyal servant to King Dain, to aid me in the expedition with the purpose of freeing our once great hold, Moria.

Yours trusting,
Balin, son of Fundin

Alrik almost spat out his ale. The name of Moria, a name which haunted the minds of the dwarfs, had a powerfull effect on him. Long had he dreamed of this day.
He glanced at the letter again. It was written in a strong and beautifull handwriting, and quite unlike the formal letters passed between the high clansmen was short and to the point. He did not have to think twice about his decision.

He told the messenger to tell Balin that he could trust in his help, and made his way back to his forge. He had to make a few preparations.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 5:05 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 01-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #51
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Aman and Imladris

Orofaniel's post, edited for typos, has been moved to the 1st page, under her character description - please review it there.

All Players

If you wish to edit your post for the Game - do so in your original post, where it follows your Character Description. That makes it easier for me when I transfer the posts to the game (I don't have to look all over the Discussion thread for the most recent revision).

Once you've edited your post - then just put a reply on the Discussion Thread that you have done so.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, the Game Moderator
Old 01-06-2004, 03:28 PM   #52
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Orofaniel -- I'm happy to say that you have been accepted. Welcome to Moria. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

We are going to let Will Whitfoot submit a profile for a traditional male dwarf.

Cheers all!
Imladris

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:40 PM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 01-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #53
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Ring

Quote:
Orofaniel -- I'm happy to say that you have been accepted. Welcome to Moria.
Thanks!

I can't wait, it'll be loads of fun playing an Orc. Never done that before.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #54
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Oro - I knew I'd missed something out there...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude, I was just a wee bit distracted - what I would have said was thanks for re-doing that, that's excellent, and for taking on the earlier comment. Welcome to Moria [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nilpaurion Felagund - Once more, I must apologise if I appeared rude, I didn't mean to brush by, especially when I like that profile. Thanks for submitting it and for taking time over it - I need to wait for Imladris to give her opinion first, but thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I will send you a PM as well, once I have conferred with Imladris.

And now (well, after some more frantic emails), I will retire for the night, and so I must say...adieu.

-Aman

(Don't mind me, french homework...)
Old 01-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Everyone:

Don't mind the "edited by" from me on each of your submitted First Posts.

I'm simply setting them up for transfer to the game should your character be chosen.

~*~ Pio [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #56
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

Orofaniel- Could you try and make some space for another PM? There are a few things that could be edited in your post, if it isn't too much trouble. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mercy of the Valar- check your Pms! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I can't wait to get this game started! I love playing evil characters, and maybe we can get a few good sub-plots going on. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 9:36 PM January 06, 2004: Message edited by: Carlas ]
Old 01-06-2004, 09:18 PM   #57
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

All Players

If you wish to edit your post for the Game - do so in your original post, where it follows your Character Description. That makes it easier for me when I transfer the posts to the game (I don't have to look all over the Discussion thread for the most recent revision).

Once you've edited your post - then just put a reply on the Discussion Thread that you have done so.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio, the Game Moderator
Old 01-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #58
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My post has been edited for clarity (and proper grammar).

~Orual
Old 01-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #59
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

Just wanted to say sorry about the Balin letter typo:
Quote:
possibly injuries on one lever or another...
I'll be sure to spell check next time...not that I didn't that time...but...oh well [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-07-2004, 11:30 AM   #60
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Sting

Quote:
Orofaniel- Could you try and make some space for another PM? There are a few things that could be edited in your post, if it isn't too much trouble.
Carlas- Cleared! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And no, just bring it on, it's not too much trouble. :P
Old 01-07-2004, 11:51 AM   #61
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Pio, my post is edited & ready. Thanks, --mark12_30
Old 01-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #62
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Sting

Nilpaurion Felagund -- you are accepted into the game. Welcome to Moria and the death that awaits you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

randomhobbit42 -- check your PMs.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:23 PM January 07, 2004: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 01-07-2004, 11:35 PM   #63
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Oooh...I've never played a dead role before...well, except in Gaeta, but that's another story! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #64
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Thumbs up

Aman and Imladris:

I'm bringing this submission down from above for your consideration:

Will Witfoot # 9490

Will Witfoot's Character Description

1)Have you ever played in a RPG at the Barrow-Downs?

Nope.

2)In how many RPG's are you currently involved?

None.

3)Have you posted at the White Horse inn in Rohan or at the Green Dragon?

Yes, the Green Dragon.

NAME: Alrik Stonebeard

WEAPONS: Alrik carries a great axe, a valuable heirloom passed to him by his father, which has its double blade forged in a way that resembles an eagle taking flight. Alrik also carries a short blade by his side.

APPEARANCE: A dwarf of very old age, Alrik's snow-white beard stretches nearly to his toes, which is why it is well-plaited and bound with gold rings. He normally keeps it stuffed under his belt, out of harms way. His cold-blue eyes peer at the world with a considered disapproval.

Alrik wears a fine suit of dwarfen mail which includes an ancient war-mask, made in the style of the dwarf's of old for the wars against dragon kind.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Alrik is counted old even amongst his own kin, and as such is awarded (and expects!) due respect for his venerability. He likes to keep to the old ways, not understanding why some dwarfs insist on 'fixing what ain’t broke'. He has little fancy for the modern way of mining or smithing.

Dwarfs keep on getting tougher with age, and Alrik is like an old and gnarly oak: grizzled but still strong. He trusts greatly in the courage and resolve of his fellows, and is a loyal friend.

His weaknesses are that he likes to keep to the tried and tested methods of war and peace, preferring never to try something new and unheard of. The name of Moria is also inscribed in fiery letters into his mind, not giving him peace until the great city is once more in the hands of dwarfen kind.

HISTORY: Alrik fought in the Battle of Five Armies, marching with his brethren from the Iron Mountain. After the victorious battle he helped Nain with the re-colonization of the Lonely Mountain and has since been the kings trusted servant. The smithing of weapons and the carving of tunnels was his work in the ancient hold.

Will Witfoot's post

Alrik was in his smithy, fixing a couple of broken links from his chainmail shirt. The armour had been partially penetrated by a sword blow of a goblin during the latest scrap with them near the shores of Esgaroth. Those creatures sure had seemed a lot tougher when he had been a lad.

He paused an lifted the shirt to eye-level. Satisfied with his own work he took off the leather appron he had worn to protect himself from the heat, hung his hammer beside the door and made for the hall where ale was served. It would taste fine after the days work he had done.

He had barely time to sip from his tankard when a messenger in the livery of King Dain strode over to him with a purposeful step. Bowing in the formal way of greeting, he handed him a letter from Lord Balin. So it read:

Honoured Alrik Stonebeard,

As the strength of our people has in the recent years grown many-fold from its once depleted might, I now wish to embark (with any willing company) on a journey which, if successful, will truly raise our people to our former glory. I ask you, as a loyal servant to King Dain, to aid me in the expedition with the purpose of freeing our once great hold, Moria.

Yours trusting,
Balin, son of Fundin

Alrik almost spat out his ale. The name of Moria, a name which haunted the minds of the dwarfs, had a powerfull effect on him. Long had he dreamed of this day.
He glanced at the letter again. It was written in a strong and beautifull handwriting, and quite unlike the formal letters passed between the high clansmen was short and to the point. He did not have to think twice about his decision.

He told the messenger to tell Balin that he could trust in his help, and made his way back to his forge. He had to make a few preparations.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:54 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-08-2004, 07:28 AM   #65
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Edited my oppening post slightly. Mixed Dain and Nain in the first version [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro
Old 01-08-2004, 11:04 AM   #66
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Ah, many thanks Will Whitfoot . Of course I need to talk to Aman before we can accept you, but it looks good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers!

Old 01-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #67
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

All Players -

Editing Posts:

Please scroll down to the bottom of the post you are editing and take off ALL the 'edited by' commands. Otherwise, it makes your post look like this:

&lt;font size=1 color=339966&gt;[ 1:58 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]&lt;/font&gt;

&lt;font size=1 color=339966&gt;[ 1:59 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]&lt;/font&gt;

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:00 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-08-2004, 03:50 PM   #68
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

Will Whitfoot- That's a brilliant profile. Welcome to Moria, Alrik [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Oh, and could you check your PMs - just a small matter.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:52 PM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 01-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #69
Melisil
Wight

Melisil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I edited my first post just briefly, correcting a couple mistakes and helping the grammer.

Melsil
Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 PM   #70
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sting

Thankyou Pio for sending me a PM!

Id really ove to join this RP! Please allow me to read up all the chapters you have listed and work up a post for the Orc Captain, and maybe one of the female dwarves!

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:11 PM   #71
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? No.
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None
3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, The Green Dragon

Orc Captain

Name: Uzgash The Iron Helmed
Race: Mordor Orc

Weapons: One double headed battle axe, taken from the Moria armory. Uzgash would have taken armor as well, but none of it was large enough. Many of his smaller sized orcs wear stolen dwarvish armor. Uzgash’s armor is a mixture of Mordor orc armor taken from the bodies of his victims. His prized possession is the Gondorian helmet, from which he gained his name. Uzgash also carries several orcish hunting knives.

Appearance: Uzgash is a Mordor orc who has since migrated elsewhere. He is a good deal taller than the Moria orcs which he commands. His skin is darker as well, having spent the first portion of his life above ground. His hair is a long dark matted mess beneath his prized helmet.

Personality Strengths/Weaknesses: Uzgash’s main strength comes from his size, but he does have the ability to learn from his mistakes, a rare gift among orcs. It is this ability that has enabled him to rise above his fellow orcs. Like all orcs, he has a lightning temper, and never releases a grudge. His willingness to jump to conclusions has caused him ruin in the past. Uzgash is both smarter and stronger than average orcs, but he still maintains the traditional orcish failings.

History: Uzgash is a Mordor orc. He and his band of orcs left Mordor after they were attacked by fellow Mordor orcs for alleged treachery. Uzgash and his band escaped and migrated to northern Gondor, where they plundered for several years.

In 2978, Uzgash and his band ambushed a small Gondorian hunting party. From the leader of this party Uzgash took his helmet. His company then gave him the title Iron Helm, in mockery of the naming of men. Three days later Uzgash and his band were attacked by the Gondorian Guard company who’s men had been slain. Uzgash and his surviving band retreated into the mountains.

Uzgash and his diminished band wandered in the Misty Mountains for some time, finally settled in Moria along with the countless other orcs in the ancient Dwarven Mines. Uzgash’s height and strength quickly propelled him to a high ranking among the masses.

Pyroclastic's post

Uzgash could hear the rumble even from his location three caverns over. The orc captain followed a small, round orc through the depths of Moria, the Dwarven caves of old.

"Grashnegg found him in the there sleeping yesterday, he’s just woken up today," the orc said, "Who knows how long he’s been in there." The orc scampered ahead of Uzgash, eager to show the captain of the orcs their new find. As they approached the small cavern at the end of the corridor, Uzgash slowed his pace with caution. The Mines of Moria were a refuge of many creatures great in strength and evil. The cavern walls shook, and the shattering of stone could be heard. Several high pitched shrieks sounded through the corridor. "There you go Grashnegg, that’s what that’s what happens when you mistake a troll for a pet rat." Uzgash heard a voice from the next cavern up. The unseen orc laughed at his own joke, and was quickly joined by the other orcs in the cave. The harsh laughter did nothing to improve the monster’s temper, and the walls shook again as it banged into them, causing more falling rock, and an abrupt end to the orcish laughter.

The orc minions cleared the away from the cavern entrance as Uzgash entered the cave. Before him stood a hideous sight, a cave troll. The monster stood a good twenty-five feet high, and it seemed frustrated by the constant pain of banging it’s head on the roof of the cave. About six orcs milled at it’s feet, looking absurdly tiny. A single orc was the size of the troll’s toe. Uzgash glanced back toward the entrance of the troll’s cavern, "How did he ever fit through?" He wondered to himself.

"Grashnegg," Uzgash yelled, "you've found us a troll!" Uzgash smirked to himself, this would be a blow for Captain Turgrog. He growled as he thought of Turgrog, captain of the west gate. Uzgash carried a deep hatred towards Turgrog, and Turgrog felt the same about Uzgash. Uzgash resented Turgrog’s position as west gate captain, while he merely captained a portion of the deeper caverns.

"Captain Uzgash," a small orc Uzgash recognized as being from Turgrog’s troop interrupted his thoughts, looking anxiously up at him. "The chief wants a word with you in his cave."

Uzgash glared at the little orc. "You can tell your chief, if he wants to speak with me, he can come find me himself. I am not a snaga to do his bidding."

The orc cringed away in fear as he weekly protested, "The chief said it was important."

Uzgash bent down to the orc’s eye level and sneered in his face. "Whatever it is that Turgrog wants, he can go down and ask the Fiery One for. He’ll give him what he deserves!" He laughed at his own joke, and launched a well aimed kick at the orc’s hastily retreating backside.

Uzgash took another long look at his new troll. It’s looks reminded him of Turgrog, ugly, flat faced, and disproportioned. Their attitudes also bore resemblance, both creatures were whiny and stupid. Such an occurrence deserved recognition. "We’ll call him Grog!" He declared. The cheers of the orcs were drowned out by Grog’s howl of amusement, as he entertained himself by picking up and waving a shrieking orc through the air.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:07 AM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Pyroclastic ]
Old 01-11-2004, 01:22 AM   #72
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Taralphiel

Check your PM's.

~*~ Pio [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #73
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Taralphiel -- Aman and I eagerly await your profile (thank you also, Pio, for PMing her...)

Pyroclastic -- Thank you also for submitting a profile and first post. I must speak to Aman before we can accept you, but it looks good! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers all!
Imladris

Old 01-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #74
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

The Eye

Hello!

I just wanted to say that I've edited my post, after Carlas' wish, and pasted it onto my character profile on the first page.

Thanks, Oro! ~*~ Pio

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:58 PM January 11, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-12-2004, 02:53 AM   #75
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Hullo all!

Just letting you know that I am working up a profile for a female dwarf, and that I havent fallen off the bandwagon!

I should have it very soon! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #76
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Sting

Taralphiel -- there is no hurry. Please take your time. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Pyroclastic -- please check your PMs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2004, 04:08 AM   #77
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Here it is! Ive been tweaking with it for a bit, but I would really appreciate your opinion! Anything that needs changing, dont hesitate to tell me! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~*~

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Yes. The Return of the Grey Company, Swan Wood, Sailing Away, Breelanders All.

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Swan Wood, and Breelanders All.

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, White Horse.

NAME: Malin Sandbrace

WEAPONS: A large axe, and a set of small throwing axes. She also has a dagger in her boot, but it is more for eating than a weapon in most cases.

APPEARANCE: Brown eyes and long brown hair, braided and kept under a helm at most times. As is necessary, is garbed in armour and also has a fake beard to disguise herself.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Malin has the temperament expected of any dwarf. She has a generous stubborn streak, and a passion for defending what she loves, her home and her honour. She also has the typical act-first-think-later attitude, and in her situations it has gotten herself into a great deal of trouble, even if she has seen little of war. She does have a tendency to be a tad clumsy, but only when her mind strays too far from her body. When in peril, she is as sharp as her axe.

HISTORY: Marin is the daughter of Olin Sandbrace and her mother Evin, who both passed when she was young. Taken in by aunts and uncles along the span of her life, Malin has found that a suitable guise has gotten her past life’s troubles. She works in her Uncle For’s smithy, and is a praised weapons maker.

~*~

Taralphiel's post

Malin slowly heaved the glowing metal to be a new axe out of the brimming fire, and stepped as deftly as she could to the barrel of water to cool it. This gave her the greatest joy, to watch the simple form of metal take shape. She let one hand go and scratched the tip of her nose with a grumble. Then, furrowing her brow, she lifted the cooled metal out and sat it back on the anvil, pawing around for the right mallet for her purposes.

Her Uncle shuffled in at that point, and in his wizened old hand he held a small note.

‘Malin my dear lass! Balin has a thing to request ye! This letter was delivered! He may have liked that last axe you forged him’

‘Aye I hope so! I worked a while on that one! One of the best I’ve made! But I need not tell you than Uncle!’ She took the letter and thanked him, and watched him slowly leave. She tore open the seal and began skimming it.

‘Well, bless me!’ she said aloud, almost dropping the tool she had been looking for. ‘He wants me to aid in rebuilding the Great Halls! He must think me as good at wielding as I am in the smithy!’

She promptly looked to her shelf of best axes she had reserved for her own use, and ran her hands over her glittering helm. She smiled widely and said:

‘Malin Sandbrace, one of the Company to reclaim Khazad-dum! What a title! Pity the beard will get in the way of telling my heroic tales!’ she thought with a chuckle.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:50 AM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #78
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

That's very good Taralphiel ! I need to talk to Aman before we can accept you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #79
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

First of all so as not to cut short what I may say afterwards, on Sunday Aylwen Dreamsong PMed me with her profile for the female dwarf:

Quote:
1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES – An Audience wit h the King, Castle Maladil, Search for the Lost Messenger, Kidnapped, Search for the Book, Escape from Nurn, Dark Seduction, Betrayal of Trust. I was in A House Divided and In War, but neither were completed due to major player absences.
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?
List them, please:
Brotherhood: A Story of the Last Alliance, Swan Wood, Threat of the Trees (the latter two are being finished up).

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – The White Horse.

WEAPONS: Malí almost never carries any weapons with her, for she typically has no need of them (she almost never travels!). However, Malí does have a large axe and one hand axe that once belonged to her uncle, who was killed in the Battle of the Five Armies.
APPEARANCE: Malí is stout and sturdy, built short and tough. Her hair is an auburn sort of color – tangled with random plaits wound up in braids or twists. Malí has dark hazel-brown eyes that peer under thick brows, gleaming with contemplation. When she is working on papers, Malí usually wears a tiny pair of wired spectacles.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Malí is very practical. She is always thinking up schemes and ways to save or increase revenue. Malí does not mind working on projects with other people so long as they do not need to be watched over constantly and can help her work in some way. She likes partaking in anything that involves strategy, intellect, numbers, and figuring. Nothing is symbolic to Malí; with everything just being what it is for Malí cannot think abstractly unless figures and numbers are involved. Malí makes sure every number, addition, and decimal are entirely correct before executing any kind of action, for Malí cannot bear imperfection or problems.

HISTORY: Malí’s father was a faithful accountant in the Iron Hills, and when he heard of the new wealth in the Lonely Mountain he greedily jumped at the chance for new opportunities. Malí’s two brothers became business partners with the people of Dale, while Malí took after her father, helping compile the data and information about the jewels, gems, gold and goods being brought into the Lonely Mountain.

---

Malí Silverfist remained cooped up in her workroom, sitting calmly at her desk, which was filled with neat piles of parchment. The dwarf was barely visible above the stacks, but over the tops of the ‘Input’ pile Malí’s frizzy auburn hair could almost be seen. She was frantically scribbling down calculations, adding this to that and placing any finished papers in the ‘Output’ stack with a satisfied glint in her dark hazel eyes. This was how Malí Silverfist spent most of her days – sitting in the cluttered (but neat) room approving or disapproving transactions or admitting revenues into the King’s treasury. It was how Malí preferred to spend her days, for Malí loved the preciseness of a good equation, so unlike the rest of the world.

A knock came at the door, and Malí looked up from her papers for the first time in hours, it seemed. The dwarf stood from her table (but was hardly any taller standing up) and looked at the door, a question in her eyes as the knocking returned. She stalked over and opened the door, revealing one of the messengers in the service of King Dain. Malí sighed, looking at the messenger coldly as she asked him of his business.

“I’ve come with a message for Malí Silverfist, from Balin son of Fundin,” the messenger replied curtly, ignoring Malí’s cold stare and unkind eyes. Malí accepted the folded piece of parchment from the messenger and shooed him away, not bothering a word of gratitude as she let him go off on his business. Then Malí returned to her seat and impatiently opened the message. Her hastiness was due mostly for her hatred for falling behind schedule, or having anything distract her from her figures and calculations and work. But when she opened her message, the contents proved to be quite intriguing.

Dear Malí Silverfist,

I, Balin invite you to partake in an expedition of honor, glory, and riches. I only ask you to visit me with a band of other Dwarves near King Dain's hall. There is some travel involved, and quite a bit of fighting, and...possibly injuries on one level or another...but the reward fully compensates the trials you face. And then some! If you would please visit me at mid-day, I would be much obliged.

Cordially yours, Balin son of Fundin.

Malí stared at the letter, reading it several times before raising a bushy auburn eyebrow in surprise and distaste for the idea. Yet, somewhere in her eyes there was a hint of pride in the headstrong fearlessness of her folk, and pride in herself for being so invited to help in some way. In any other case, Malí had no idea why Balin would be inviting her upon such a journey, when all Malí could do was strategize, enforce practicality and, well…add. But Malí was not one to give up an opportunity to show off her greatness, and thus Malí was not about to let Balin down (even if the other Dwarf was not the reason for Malí’s motivation).

And so, Malí Silverfist pulled out a fresh sheet of parchment and began to scribble down a reply in her strong, angular handwriting. When she was finished, she scrambled (or as close as Dwarves come to doing so) to the door and looked out and down the hall, where the messenger was still trotting slowly to wherever his next destination was.

"Oy, Messenger!" Malí shouted down the hall with a strong, firm tone floating out in her voice. The Dwarf turned around, and seemed exasperated and slightly frustrated that Malí had been the one to call his title out. Despite, the messenger jogged slowly down the hall back toward Malí, and when he reached her, Malí handed him the folded parchment that contained her reply. "Take these directly to Balin son of Fundin; place them in the hands of none but Balin. If I find out you have done otherwise, your family will pay, literally." Malí threatened. The Messenger nodded and went off on the task given him, and Malí grinned in a satisfied manner as she watched him go.

----

I thought that Malí would openly be female, and assume that she is taken along for her 'job' and skills in accounting etc. when they reach the new and supposedly prosperous reclaimed Moria.
This may present some problems with there being two female dwarves, but myself and Imladris will discuss this - thankyou very much, both of you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Taralphiel, could you check your PMs please.

Next, I must apologise for my absence over the last few days; it wasn't planned and I am fully aware of and regret any inconveniences which may have been caused. It was unavoidable though; I had a complete overload of homework - its not exactly fun having three pieces of coursework plus other homeworks on the go.

Anyway...

Pyroclastic: An excellent profile and first post, thank you very much; certainly living up to his standard as Orc Captain. If you haven't done already, please check you PMs, and once you have responded, welcome to Moria!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:20 PM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]
Old 01-14-2004, 10:08 PM   #80
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Pipe

Character List
  • Balin – Imladris
  • Ori Bronzeshield – Imladris
  • King Dain Ironfoot – Aman
  • Flori Bronzeshield – Aman

Dwarves
  • TOLKIEN
  • Oin – Orual (accepted)
  • Frar Silentshield – Gird (accepted)
  • Loni Stormlegs – Melisil (accepted)
  • Nali Ironfoot – The Perky Ent (accepted)
  • Floi – Nilpaurion Felagund (accepted)
  • OTHERS
  • Narin – Saraphim (accepted)
  • Alrik Stonebeard - Will Witfoot (accepted)
  • Lîs (when in disguise, Lîn) - female Dwarf - Mark12_30 (accepted)
  • Malin Sandbrace - Taralphiel (UNDER CONSIDERATION)
  • Mali Silverfist – Aylwen Dreamsong (UNDER CONSIDERATION)

Orcs
  • Nazklash – Carlas (accepted)
  • Wazkul – Mercy of the Valar (accepted)
  • Lugnush – Orofaniel (accepted)
  • Uzgash The Iron Helmed ~ Orc Captain – Pyroclastic (accepted)