Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 AM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye Ungoliant's Children RPG

Witch_Queen’s post

Thranduil was sitting alone at the back door to his home watching the birds play in the near by trees. He heard his name being called and turned to see that his dear friend Faurry had come to join him. Still up set about the dwarves escaping Thranduil had distanced himself from the others.

Thranduil sent out a scout to investigate the dwarves' story of increased spiders in his forest. It had been a couple of days and they still hadn't heard a word from him. He feared that the dwarves were right. "Still no word about Eruever?" He turned to face Faurry, who seemed to be reading his every thought. The women were frightened that the spiders were going to take over Mirkwood. That was something Thranduil wasn't going to let happen.

The two sat there talking about the previous years when the news came. Eruever's sword had been found along with his armor. The story was true, the spiders had been awakened.

Thranduil organized a meeting with all the men. HE had underestimated the number of elves there were. "Elves of Mirkwood, what you have heard is true. There is a growing threat of spiders in the forest. The spiders are no longer cowards. They are coming out of the deeper parts of the forest and are coming closer to our city. I have decided to lead a group into the forest to reclaim the safety we have lost. I am not requiring for everyone to take up arms with me to solve our problem. I am asking you all as a fellow elf, help me. I only need a few men. The others will have to stay back and see to it that if and I mean if we shall fail, that our great land isn't over-run by those eight-legged monsters." He paused to catch his breath.

The room was silent and Thranduil didn't know what to think. Now what? I know silence is deadly but this is takes it too far. He changed the tone of his voice, "If anyone has a better idea, I am open to suggestions. All I know is that the longer we delay, the bigger the chance of the group not returning. So what do you say?" Thranduil took a step back and sat down in a near by chair.

At about that time a few women came in with a barrel of ale. Thranduil wasn't sure how long the meeting would last so he had drinks brought in for everyone. After wetting his throat, Thranduil returned to his chair. "Well?"
Old 09-17-2004, 12:23 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Boromir88's post

Ercuion immediately thinks of his family, wondering if they have any knowledge of the threat. He says to himself "if Thranduil calls an urgent meeting to discuss a problem, about the spiders, the situation must be serious." He was more then eager to join the Scouting party in order to eradicate the spiders for good, or so he hopefully thinks.

Ercuion feels instead of sending out a small party, they should send out in full force, maybe a couple thousand man army, in order to wipe out the spiders before they become too strong. He gives in to the thought of having his idea rejected. He can't say anything, can only think "what if, what if they go along with my plan, but it turns into utter failure, and thousands of innocent elves are killed, BECAUSE OF ME!" Ercuion doesn't propose his plan. He just sits and waits out the meeting, waiting for his chance to join the scouting party.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleepy Ranger's post

He had been trying as hard as he could to listen to what Thranduil was saying but his attention kept being drawn away by something. Sounds like there'll be a fight. If there is I don't see why I won't be there. He looks hard at Thranduil not really concerned about the spiders or anything else for that matter.

I wonder if there will be a feast before we leave or if we just leave right away. His fingers were toying around with the hilt of his sword. Hmmm...Ale...don't mind if I do. He gets himself a mug and drains it in one go. Maybe now I'll pay attention.

He looks at Thranduil again, trying his best not to scream out that they should meet them head on with a large army. Well whatever happens I'm in. It'll be fun after all. The smile that was always on his face was still there and he seemed a bit more happier than usual, the thought of going into a real battle was rather exciting for him.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-09-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Hookbill the Goomba's post

Standing by the door, Taurthol found that he could think of nothing to suggest. Usually he was full of ideas, but today he had not been feeling one hundred percent. He wanted rest, but knew that he would not be permitted it. The earlier party had left a lot of them worn out.

Then all of a sudden, with out warning he drew his sword, and many others did also. He thought he knew what this meant. They had to fight. He knew that there was not much else they could do. Unless some elf came up with an ingenious strategy that did not involve going out to meet them head on, they had a challenge on their hands.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-27-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

Hama of the Riddermark's post

Lossenfirithion looked around at the elves gathered in the great hall. As Thranduil finished his speech the elves raised their swords in a cheer Firith smiled and raised his, crying out "For Mirkwood!" at the top of his voice. As they began to exit the hall, Thranduil stopped his nephew with a hand on his shoulder. "Nephew, this will be dangerous...I do not want to put you in danger, I do not want to lose you." Firith smiled widely. "And I don't want to lose you, uncle, that's why I'm coming. You don't think I'd let you go off and risk your life without me do you?" Thranduil's face appeared strained. "Firith I love you more than any of my nephews. You are one of the best fighters we have here only-" Firith cut him off, "Not as good Legolas." he finished his uncles sentance. Thranduil smiled warmly as a small tear trickled down his cheek. "In some ways, Firith, you are as good as Legolas, and in others better than him...Its not fair to compare yourself to him all the time. Legolas, as my heir, needs to stay here and keep order while we are gone. He cannot come. Yes...Firith I need you with me on this." Firith smiled and patted his uncles shoulder, "I'll go and get ready."

Back in his room Firith pulled his leather tunic over his shirt and buckled it. He looked at himself in a mirror, a gift from his uncle. He smiled again. Yes, in some ways he was better than Legolas, but not in many. This was enough to comfort him as he tied his bracers onto his arms. He drew his sword and balanced it on his finger, throwing it up and catching it by the hilt, then swiping at a dummy he kept there. The head flew off, covering the floor with straw. Sheathing his sword he picked his bow and arrows off the wall and slung them onto his back, going back to the great hall to join the others...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Witch_Queen's post

Thranduil was surprised that so many had volunteered. He figured that his nephew would but didn't know about the others. He returned to his home to look Legolas in the eyes and explain to him once again why he wasn't allowed to go with his father. Thranduil could only trust Legolas to take care of the people while he was gone. Legolas is young and has yet to see as much as me. Once he has seen everything life has to give him perhaps then he will not be so quick to volunteer for things.

Thranduil opened the door to his home, his wife and son stood there staring him in the eyes. "Legolas, don't look at me like that. You know I can only trust you. If I was to leave your mother in control, who knows what would happen." He looked at his wife. A smiled formed on both their faces. Everything was going to be fine. "As a matter of fact your cousin is going to make sure I don't do anything rational." Legolas turned his head. "Lossenfirithion?" Thranduil was suprised that his son knew which one. "Yes, Lossenfirithion. I know we can both trust him with our lives. If it wasn't for you staying behind, I would have to make him stay. I fear that when I leave everything will turn to chaos. We must not be saying that."

Thranduil pulled his wife close to him and kissed her on the cheek. "My dear you must be strong for both of us. Remember that if anything was to happen to me I want you to continue remembering me for what I am and was. We both know nothing will happen to me. After all I am ruler of these lands." Thranduil laughed so loud that it made the halls in his house shake. "Come now, whats for dinner, I am hungry now after the meeting. Plus it is only two days time until I have to depart from my home and the ones I love." Walking over to the table, Thranduil, his son, and his wife sat down to enjoy what seemed like the last meal they would ever have together.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-09-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

The meeting was adjourned and Ercuion still wonders if he should have suggested his plan, or not, then he thinks "Oh, it doesn't matter I'm heading out anyway." Ercuion leaves the hall and heads for home to gather his supplies. There his younger brother, Nefal, is waiting.

"Greetings brother, why are you packing so hastily, what is happening?" asked Nefal.

"Why you haven't heard about the spiders?" asked Ercuion.

"Yes, I have heard, so what?" Nefal replied.

"Well, I volunteered to go with the Scouting party in order to track down the spiders, and finish them for good." Ercuion said.

"And you expect to go without me, right?" Nefal asked with an uncertain tone in his voice.

"Yes, I can't have you come along, it will be too dangerous." Ercuion replied.

"Mother and Father are so far away, I've got no family or relatives out here, only you. You can't expect me to stay here." Nefal objects.

"You are not alone, Targon will still be here" Ercuion says stubbornly.

The door opens and a figure is at the entrance and a voice is heard "Well, young Ercuion, it just so happens that I've joined the party too, somebody needs to help Thranduil watch all you young rascals."

Ercuion and Nefal turn, and to there great delight, they realize it's Targon. Targon is a much older elf, then Ercuion and Nefal, but still younger then Thranduil, he is the "unofficial" guardian of the two boys. Since, their parents are a far way away, towards the edge of Mirkwood, Targon has always looked after the brothers.

"You are going too" asked Ercuion, with a false hope.

"Yep" Targon replied.

Nefal made sure he added in "See, now there's no reason for me not to go."

Ercuion uneasily agrees and tells Nefal to go get ready, they must meet at the front gate. The three of them make it to the gate, they are the first ones there, nobody is seen yet. Targon wonders off, Ercuion and Nefal find a comfortable tree to lay under. Ercuion tells Nefal about the whole meeting, and informs him of the evils to come. Then Nefal spots Lossenfirithion, striding up towards the gate, and almost immidiately Ercuion realizes some stress, or anger, approaching in Nefal's face.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"Nothing, just that darn Lossenfirthion. He always gets special treatment just because he's Thranduil's nephew. Well one day Thranduil will realize that I am a much better soldier then he." Nefal snaps.

"Woah, calm down, Lossenfirthion is a good soldier, and a good nephew to Thranduil, there is no need to worry about him." Ercuion says.

"I don't fear him" Nefal says defiantely, gritting his teeth, "He just get's special treatment from Thranduil is all I'm saying. Thranduil will wish I was in that young brat's place, he'll see."

Targon, out of nowhere just seems to reappear, "I hope that young brat, you are talking about, isn't me" Targon chuckles. Nefal runs off in utter disgust, he needs to get away from Lossenfirthion before any trouble starts.

"See Targon, that's why I fear for him, he's still young, and has a lot to learn about respecting your elder soldiers. Especially, if that soldier is the king's nephew." Ercuion replies uneasily.

"In good time he will learn, you have taught him well." replies Targon "Now, what are we going to do about dinner?"

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-28-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Taurthol sat alone in his chamber. He knew not of what to do, he saw no choice but to follow his decision to fight for his King. Most of the other Elves had also made the decision and so he had to remain faithful. He called his trusty esquire, Tâlmor, to him. when he came Taurthol told him what he would need.

''Firstly I’ll need the best arrows you can find,'' he began ''also I want you to find as much cram as you can.''

‘‘Very well,'' replied Tâlmor, '' I'll see what I can do.'' he trotted off down the corridor and into the King's halls. when all was set ready for the setting out Taurthol gave Tâlmor leave to go where he would.

''I do not ask you to come wither I go,'' said Taurthol, ‘‘for this shall be a quest of much danger and toil.''

''I know that well, my lord,'' said Tâlmor ''but for so long have I been your esquire, i wish not to leave thine side... I may not fight well, but I can be of other use.''

''Very well'' replied Taurthol, ‘‘if you so wish it.''

''I do indeed.'' and with that they departed till the morning.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Lossenfirithion vaguely heard Nefal's taunt and anger, but he chose to ignore it for now. He knew that Nefal was young and inconsistent. He would see soon enough why Thranduril favoured Firith over his other nephews. "I'll make a point," Firith muttered under his breath, "Of saving your sorry hide at the last second at least once on our little skirmish, Nefal." Firith fingered the hilt of his sword, as he did habitually, pulling it out slightly to admire the sheen that it produced.

He embraced Thranduril as he came to the gates, and his uncle returned the gesture. "I was beginning to think you weren't coming." Thranduril said jokingly, "Uncle, all the beasts in Mordor could not keep me away from this." Firith replied equally light-heartedly. A hand came to reast of Firith's shoulder and he turned.

"Dol, you can't come on th-", his son cut him off, "Like you said, father, all the beasts in Mordor could not keep me." Firith turned exasperated to Thranduril, but he merely laughed loudly, and after a few seconds Dolendelothion and Firith himself joined in. "Alright, son...but for Eru's sake don't get yourself killed, you know how your mother worries about you." Dolenedelothion smiled, "Yes father, I do...I believe that at this moment she thinks I'm coming to bid you farewell, not to join you." Firith's eyes darkened, "Well in that case when we leave we'll send her a messenger to let her know, I'm not having you just leaving your mother like that with no idea where you are. At least she'll know you're with me, that way." Dolendelothion sighed, "Is that really nec-", "Yes it is, son, and argue it any further and see if I let you come with us." Dolendelothion's smile decreased a little at the edges, while Firith looked over his son to see some more elves arriving...
Old 09-30-2004, 06:09 AM   #8
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Melen walks towards the gate with his mom and Berkengrond by him. "Are you sure you want to come with me Berkengrond? I'd rather you stay with my mom." Melen says looking very much like he did, he had done some thinking in the days he had and would have felt better if Berkengrond stayed back, but now he wasn't smiling, he had never had to leave his mom before and now felt he didn't want to. "No, Melen I shall stay with you, you would need me more." Berkengrond replied. Melen's mother nodded at him and said, "Let Berkengrond go with you, I shall be safe in town and you will need all the help you can get."

He knew better than to argue with both his mother and his best friend so he let it stay where it was. They remained silent the rest of the way to the gate. He saw many more elves there and managed to contain an urge to tell Berkengrond to stay back with his mother. "I suppose this is good-bye for now mom." He says to his mother as she kisses him on his forehead. "Look after him and don't let him do anything rash." She says to Berkengrond. Melen's smile had now returned and the excitement of battle had filled him. I suppose it will be fun after all. "Are you ready my friend?" He asks Berkengrond.

Berkengrond nods at him and bids farewell to Melen's mother. The two then make their way to Thranduil their king and leader. They bow before him and then Melen speaks, "Sir, How long do you suppose this would take and do you think that the spiders won't invade the town in our absence?" Berkengrond shot a glance at Melen as to say that he shouldn't have spoken but he knew that he would have anyway.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:41 AM   #9
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Thranduil looked around and noticed that all the elves were there and accounted for. His nephew was there along with all the others he had talked to during the past few days. Everything had gotten out of hand at his house. Legolas for the past few days had been trying to talk him into letting him go along. Thranduil turned around and looked all the spectators.

Thranduil turned back to the gate and began walking towards the forest. His fate still unknown to him. He could hear his wife at home crying. He hated to leave her in such a dangerous time but he couldn't trust any one else. He wasn't going to send his son or his nephew into a fight in which he didn't know the enemy very well. He then realized that Melen had spoken to him. "To tell the truth I have no idea how long this will take." He coud feel his cheeks burning and knew he was blushing. "Legolas and the rest of the men will see to it that the spiders don't harm any of our women and children. Melen you have nothing to worry about." He then turned to face the rest of the men. "I don't know how long we shall be gone. Hopefully it won't be long, but remember that Legolas is here for guidance and he will reign in my absence. We have fathers and sons leaving their family, I can't make this a promise, but I will do my best to return them to their wives and mothers alive."

Thranduil was at a loss for words. He knew the spiders would try to attack the city while he was gone. The spiders aren't as stupid or coward as he had thought. He knew who he had to blame. At that moment his thoughts when back to the dwarves. He knew in his heart that they didn't mean anything by it but he couldn't help but be mad at them. What else was there for him to do now. "We must leave you now, let us not leave you as rivals or friends but let us leave you as our own family. At this moment forgive those who go to fight in your stead and for your life. After all we don't know what this road has ahead for us."

Thranduil turned back to the gates. His heart only sinking deeper in his chest. He carried little with him including his bow and swords. He felt a hand on his shoulder and turned to see that his good friend Uragonia was there. Along with him was his son Runia. "I thought you would never come Uragonia. Yet you surprise me like always. I am glad to see you." The older elf smiled and began to laugh. "Oh Thranduil, my king you didn't actually think I would let you go off to who knows what death. Indeed you must have drank too much last night. Was the celebration that bad?" Thranduil motioned for the others to follow him. His friends words stuck in his mind. Death? I had thought about it alot here lately. What the others don't know will only hurt them more. He motioned for his nephew to come join him at the front.

"Lossenfirithion, I need to tell you something. The others shouldn't know." The young elf nodded his head. "Last night a few spiders were spotted outside the city gates. Luckily they were killed before anyone else was hurt." Thranduil paused after realizing what he had just said. " Urquania, Eruever's wife, is gone. She dissapeared before we could tell her about her husbands death. I fear that she was taken by the spiders. If we find a trace of her, the others are to keep their mouths sealed. If word gets back to Mirkwood about this then we will have alot more problems on our hand."

Deep down in his heart he knew he was putting a heavy burden on his nephew. "You can't even tell your son. For it will only trouble his soul even more. The one thing we don't need is restless men." The trees around him began to blow in the wind. He figured that in the next couple of days they would at least find a few of the spiders. Thranduil remembered that he was never informed on where exactly Eruever's sword was found. Now he was worried even more. He wasn't worried for himself, he was worried about his men.

Last edited by Witch_Queen; 09-30-2004 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Ercuion and Nefal remain lounging underneath a tree waiting for the word from Thranduil to start heading out.

"Nefal, I want you to listen to me on this, stay as far away from Lossenfirthion as possible. I don't want you doing anything stupid to get yourself killed, I'm already regretting myself for letting you come" said Ercuion stroking his chin.

"Yes" Nefal said rather irritatingly and it appeared he wasn't totally paying attention to his brother.

"Thankyou" replied Ercuion.

Targon comes to join the two brothers. "I must warn you" he says "I've gotten word that spiders have already been spotted outside the city walls. It seems like we'll get the taste of battle sooner then I expected. I won't always be there to watch out for you, so you must be prepared to watch out for yourselves." Targon spots Thranduil off in the distance, "Ahh, I must be off, I need to discuss some matters with Thranduil."

Targon strides up to Thranduil, who right now is by himself, Targon notices that Thranduil is in deep thought.

"Greetings Thranduil, do you have a couple minutes?" asked Targon.

"Yes, I always have time for you Targon, what do you need?"

"I was wondering," Targon says "if the spiders have already been spotted around outside the city walls, why don't we go out in full force and attack them now. Of course, leave people back to defend the city, but clearly they are already closing in around the city."

Thranduil rubs his eyes, he seems tired, "Truthfully, we do not know the exact location of the spiders, we don't know where they are coming from. The purpose of this small group is to scout ahead and try to find that location. We'll deal with how we will finish them monsters off when we find their exact location."

"I understand" Targon says. Targon spots Uragonia approaching, he bows to Thranduil, "that was all I needed, thankyou my lord."

"Tell everyone to prepare to head out, we will be leaving soon" Thranduil says.

"Yes, my lord" Targon walks back to rejoin Ercuion and Nefal. "Get your things ready, I have word from Thranduil we will be leaving soon."

"About time I get to see some action, now Thranduil will really get to see my skill" Nefal says enthusiastically. Nefal runs off to go get his supplies.

"That's the most excitement I've seen from him since, well since, I told him he could come along" Ercuion laughs faintly.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #11
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Tolkien

Taurthol followed the company as they marched out. He knew not to what end this whole hastily cobbled together mission would come. It all seemed hopeless. None of them had recovered yet from the party and the anger of the Dwarves' escape. Many were angered and would take it out hastily on any.

"Tâlmor, come here," he called looking behind and seeing Tâlmor looking at something in a tree, "What are you looking at?"

"What do you make of this?" he asked pointing at what looked like a spider web, "I'd say its no more than three hour old, do you think they are close?"

"No," Said Taurthol, "They sent out a scout to look for trouble. No doubt, by now they know of us and out intensions. SO much for the element of surprise."

"Should we inform the king?" asked Tâlmor, "This may change the tactics."

"Indeed," replied Taurthol, "The king will not be best pleased, so you'd best go and tell him."

Reluctantly, Tâlmor shuffled off and came to the king. Taurthol kept his hand on his sword hilt as he looked into the tree, in case the scout was still around. There was a ruffle of leaves behind him, quickly turning and drawing his sword he saw that it was a bird hobbling along the floor and fluttering.

"My king!" Cried Tâlmor, "Taurthol and I hath found something!" he beckoned them to follow as he puffed and panted. Coming to the spot they all looked at the large spider thread.

"The omens are not good," said Taurthol, "Do we continue on our errand?"

Thranduil looked at the thread and said nothing for a while. he hummed as if he was thinking. This seemed to have prompted a line of thinking.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:31 AM   #12
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
Thranduil heard his name being called. He didn't have a guess of what for, but being the person he was he turned to see what was going on. At the sight of the over sized spider web, Thranduil knew the secret was out. The spider were closer to the city than he had guessed. Remembering that he didn't know where the scout's weapons were found, he began to think. Humming while he thought Thranduil didn't know what to tell the others.

"Ok, everyone I want for you to search around the area. If anyone sees anything let me know. I will alert you if I was to find anything out of the ordinary. Uragonia's voice could be heard. Leaving his spot, Thranduil quickly hurried over to where Uragonia and his son was standing. "What have you found?"

"Its here my lord." Unsheathing his sword Uragonia picked up what looked like an article of clothing. "I wonder how long this has been here. It seems to small for an elf. Perhaps it was something one of the dwarves lost." At the mentioning of the dwarves Thranduil's temper jumped a little.

"Uragonia, its too beautiful to be something a dwarf would wear. Yet all we have seen is the dwarve, nothing or no one else." Thranduil' s mind couldn't seem to contemplate what was occuring at that moment. "Don't worry about it. Put the clothing away and we will look at it when we make camp later." Thranduil returned to his searching. While he was walking he seemed to trip over some sort of metal object. "Over here!," he shouted calling all the others over to him.

"It seems that someone else has been captured and met their end due to the spiders. Except this time I have no idea of who this may belong to." Reaching down Thranduil pulled up an elven sword. Not realizing what was going on Thranduil heard someone else shouting. "My King..... My King....!" Turning the group headed to where Runia was standing.

"It seems that we are not the only ones who have been out here lately. This looks like my cousin's bow and that appears to be his fathers sword. What is going on?" Thranduil figured now would be the best time to tell the others what was going on. He went on to explain how the night before a few spiders were spotted outside the city walls. Thranduil told them that Eruever's wife was missing and new not of her husbands fate. "My companions we are dealing with monsters and there is no way of telling how they may attack us or what means of protection we now have. We are indeed naive to what is going on. Now is a time for strategy. Come now tell me what is on your mind. I don't care who you are, speak up." Thranduil thought he heard some mumbling but paid it now mind.

Now was a time for his men to prove themselves. Would they let him and their fellow elves down or stand up and speak what was in their mind. Thranduil was now begining to worry about his safety and the safety of his men. He didn't want to send them off to what he knew was a certain death. Now was a time for action and planning.

Last edited by Witch_Queen; 10-06-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #13
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

"Nefal," says Ercuion "Targon and I are going to scout ahead, see if we can find any tracks or any more webs. In the mean time you STAY here."

"I'm going with you" Nefal objects.

"Listen to your brother, Nefal," Targon says "he is wise, and not to mention older."

Nefal has no place in objecting to Targon's word. All he can do is run off in a bitter rage. It seemed like Targon and Ercuion were only out for a meager five minutes, or so, when Nefal comes running back, "Thranduil has called a meeting, to discuss our current situation" he gasps.

The whole party gathers around Thranduil and listens to what he has to say.

Ercuion comes out of the crowd first, "I think our best defense, right now, is to stay together, I deem spiders love to pick off a couple unsuspecting elves, alone in the forest. If we stick together, as a group, we will be much stronger. As for what to do. Does anyone know where the dwarves said they encountered the spiders? Why not find the place, maybe that will lead to more clues?"

Targon quickly jumps in, "Ahh, young Ercuion, that will be useless. It is most likely that there are spiders all over, infesting Mirkwood. I fear before this day ends we will have some company." Targon chuckles trying to lift some spirits and add a touch of warmth. He looks around and sees no one's heart was lifted by his comment, not even Thranduil. He notices in all the young elves eyes, the glory and anticipation of fighting, but the fear of death.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #14
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Melen was just lazily looking around not the least bit bothered to listen to Tharanduil. Berkengond on the other hand was paying full attention to what was being said, upon sensing the correct moment he stood up and spoke, "My lord, I believe we should set a trap. Hide most of our gear and most of us should hide ourselves in tall tress which give us a good view of the region and enough space to fire our bows while a few others stay on the ground to lure out a party of the spiders, I believe upon seeing the small force they will not be bothered to send a large portion of spiders to attack and then as they draw nearer to us and farther from their main group we pick them off and hope that instead of sending the whole army they send in another small force." He paused for breath. "What do you deem of this?"

And he calls me rash. was all Melen could think of as his friend said this. Not bothering himself to stand up Melen spoke from where he sat. "It may work, it may not. What if they send a large force to begin with. Sure we'll have the advantage but once they learn where we are I'd say we'd be goners." As he spoke Berkengond just looked at him sharply with that you-spoke-before-thinking look. Melen smiled to himself upon noticing this, as much as he did like this other elf he also enjoyed annoying him from time to time, for the fun of it as he had told him one day. That led to a fight between them but they got over it soon, very soon.

"I'd propose that we lie in wait and perhaps send out the sthealthiest amongst us to learn the strength of their force and then make a move." Melen said still lazily looking from one member of the party to the other, wondering what they had left behind at home and what they were thinking at the moment because all of a sudden Melen remembered his mother and how much he loved her.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 AM   #15
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Taurthol could do little at this time. He and Tâlmor were sent to search the surroundings in case of spider attack. Taurthol knelt to the ground and listened carefully. Tâlmor shivered and looked around. The surroundings were not pleasant and the threat of spider attack hung heavy on him.

"Sir, I don't think," began Tâlmor, but he was interrupted by Taurthol

"Quiet!" he said stubbornly, "there may be something a foot!"

Tâlmor quivered and shrank down behind Taurthol. He looked up into the trees as if he expected a spider the leap out of there at any moment. Taruthol got up and turned to Tâlmor. He nodded his head and slowly moved on.

After a short time, they saw a clearing; a small sword had cut the remnants of some spider webs. Thirteen small sacks made of web lay upon the floor. There was evidence of some sort of a struggle.

"Wretched Dwarves," whispered Taurthol, "They caused a lot of trouble here."

"What shall we do?" asked Tâlmor shivering, "Go back? Or investigate further?"

"I'm not sure," said Taruthol, "Let us explore a little further." he stepped cautiously into the clearing and peered about. The spider tracks were not easy to miss, large trees pulled from their roots were left thrown upon the ground and there was a path cleaved going southwards. One small spider crept up behind them and squirmed, Taurthol saw it and it dashed away.

"What was that?" asked Tâlmor, "A sentinel?"

"Yes" answered Taurthol scratching his head, "Come, we have lingered here too long. No doubt that small fellow will tell others of our position."

Swiftly they made their way back to the rest of the party. Tâlmor was beginning to regret coming on this mission, all the hairs on his back were stood on end. Taruthol sheathed his sword and knife and readied his bow.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #16
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The day had seemed long to Thranduil. "Ok, we're going to set up camp here for the night. Nefal, you shall take first watch.Uragonia, you will relieve Nefal in a few hours. Sleep well tonight men, for tomorrow we go after the spiders." Thranduil turned to Nefal, and pulled the young elf aside. "Nefal I'm trusting you to keep our back safe tonight. If you see anything out of the ordinary, alert me and we will wake the others. Don't let me down. " Thranduil knew the elf's spirits rose.

Heading towards his own little area to be away from the rest of the others, Thranduil heard footsteps behind him and turned to see Runia behind him. "Runia, I know your father will not let me down. After Nefal returns from his watch, Uragonia will make sure our journey doesn't end tonight. I know you are worried about your family." Thranduil placed his hand on Runia's shoulder, "Your son will grow up with both his father and grandfather to be there with him."
I can't promise him that. I don't even know what will happen tonight. We can't allow the spiders to get us while we sleep. I will hurt myself if anything happens to Runia he's like a son to me.

Out of the corner of his left eye Thranduil thought he saw movement. Taking his hand off of Runia he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. Runia noticed that something was afoot and unsheathed his sword. Keeping their breathing slightly down the two elves began heading towards the movement placing the front of their boot on the ground and then the back part. What light that was coming through the tree tops glinted off the metal of their swords.

Thranduil and Runia figured the movement was that of one of the others. Putting their swords away, Runia shouted out to the shadow, "Show yourself." Nothing happened so the two of them turned to walk back to the others. Suddenly out of the darkness a giant seven legged spider jumped out of the darkness. Realizing that they were wrong the two of them turned only for Runia to feel long apendages wraping around his body. Thranduil figured that he needed to alert the others so he began calling everyone. "SPIDERS!"

Within seconds everyone was there and Thranduil knew Uragonia was only worried about his own son. Bound on rescuing the elf Uragonia headed after the seven legged spider. All he wanted was to save his only son. "Runia, where are you? If you can hear me say something." Off in the distance Uragonia could hear the sounds of the others fighting. Still walking forward, Uragonia walked into a spider web and looked up to see a big ball of spider silk. "Runia!" Doing his best to climb the web Uragonia attempted to cut the ball down. Once Runia was free Uragonia realized that his son was safe and the cost of one of them surviving would mean the death of the other. "Runia go back to the others, I will be right behind. No matter what, Don't look back."

The two elves began running towards the sound of the group. Runia could hear his fathers rough breathing from behind him. Suddenly the sound behind him became a howl and Runia stopped to turn but heard his father, "Runia keep going, DON'T LOOK BACK!" Running with tears streaming out of his eyes Runia meet up with the rest of the group. Looking at Thranduil he said, "They got him, they got my father." The tears wouldn't stop. He had spent his whole life with his father by his side and now he would have to go on the journey without his father to keep him company.

Thranduil turned to face the rest of the group. "Come on men, the spiders have taken one of our own. Its time to take them." Without looking at what direction they headed, the group decided to follow the group of spiders that had attacked them. "Runia, we go to avenge your father."

Old 10-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Coming towards the camp, Taruthol heard the screams and shouts of "SPIDERS!" and swiftly he set an arrow to his bow. He and Tâlmor dashed into the camp and found the party had departed in haste. A few lay dead on the floor.

"Come, Tâlmor!" Cried Taurthol, "Let us make chase!" It did not take long for them to catch up. Looming overhead Taruthol saw an enormous spider dashing quickly thought the trees, it wa rather bloated and seemed to have some difficulty in running. Taurthol pulled his bow and shot. The Spider swiftly turned about and screeched at him. Tâlmor put an arrow to his bow and shot wildly, one arrow hit the eye of the spider. It screeched again and swung a foot at them both. Tâlmor was necked to the right, but Taruthol ducked just in time.

Drawing hsi sword Taruthol leaped upon the spider in sudden rage. He repeatedly stabbed the spider through the head. Black blood spluttered everywhere until the spider fell down and was silent. Breathing heavily Taruthol leaped off the corpse of the spider the removed its head. He picked up a near by spear and place the head upon it.

Tâlmor crawled from the nettle bushes where he had fallen. They had no time to lose. Taruthol picked up Tâlmor and dragged him to his feet.

"We must make a dash for it!" cried Taurthol, "No doubt the rest of the company is already in trouble!" With that they sprinted as fast as their legs could carry them. Tâlmor unsheathed a short sword and panted as he ran. Screams could be heard up ahead. It sounded as if the spiders were almost upon their companions. Taurthol pushed his limbs to run as hard and as fast as he had ever run. He held his sword in the air and ran with all his might.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:34 PM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Nefal smiles and is honored that Thranduil chose him to take the first watch. After hearing Nefal will take first watch, Ercuion goes to quickly object, but Targon stops him.

"Let Nefal watch," Targon says, "this will give the boy some experience. You can't be around to watch him all the time." All Ercuion can do is sigh and let it go. Targon jumps up from the ground "I'm going to wonder about. I just need time to think." At that Targon gets up and walks off.

"Now Nefal," Ercuion cuts in, "Thranduil is trusting you to take first watch. If you see anything you will quickly report it, don't go after it, don't go running off, you understand?"

"I know, I know." Nefal says sarcastically.

Ercuion is slightly irritated by Nefal's tone but he continues, "Just don't do anything stupid."

Nefal starts getting annoyed "I know, I know, you don't have to tell me that."

Suddenly the two elves both hear the cries of "SPIDERS! SPIDERS!" Ercuion starts running off, but he realizes Nefal isn't following him. He turns and shouts back "Are you coming, the company will need everyone's help."

At this, Nefal smiles, finally getting a chance to prove himself in battle. It is rare that his brother willingly lets him comes along, so he runs off with a smile upon his face, and a glint in his eyes. They didn't run far before they heard a sound up ahead, in the shrubs. They both took out their bows, but to their shock it was Targon. He was limping, holding the back of his leg.

"Blasted creatures!" Targon screams collapsing to the ground."I had one in my sight, then them wily freaks ambushed me from behind. Before I could turn one of them slashed me in the back of my leg with his putrid fang. COWARDS!" He screams shaking his fist back towards the cries.

Ercuion spots a gaping wound across the back of Targon's leg, "Stay here little brother, watch him, I'm going back to get some cloth to wrap his leg in."

Nefal is astonished, and slightly sickened by the profuse bleeding of the wound. He studders, "How d-d-id you get o-o-ou-t?"

"Bless that boy, Lossenfirithion, came just in time." Targon says as he begins turning pale. "If it wasn't for him, I honestly don't think I would have made it out of there." Nefal grunts at the comment, all his thoughts about Lossenfirithion return.

Ercuion comes running back with some cloth. "Here, wrap this around your leg, this is all I could find, with the short time we have." Screams can still be heard up ahead, "Sorry Targon, the others are in trouble."

"Go," Targon shouts, "don't worry about me, I'll make it back allright. Thranduil and Runia are going back for Uragonia. I saw Taurthol and Talmor heading in their direction. You ought to head back my way, Lossenfirithion could use some assistance I imagine."

A smile appears back on Nefal's face, this could be his chance to prove himself against Lossenfirithion. Ercuion turns toward Nefal "Come Nefal, and stay by me at ALL times." Nefal already sprints off, paying no attention to his brother. "Darn boy" Ercuion says to himself and runs off after his brother.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-18-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:44 AM   #19
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Melen and Berkengon were on their feet looking around upon hearing shouts of "Spider!". Berkengond had his crossbow ready while Melen just kept his hand on the hilt of his sword. "What do you suppose will happen?" He whispered to Berkengond. "I suppose we'll all be eaten or something." Berkengond replies. "Thats good isn't it?" He asks Berkengond. "You are definately not serious." Berkengond says shaking his head. "Well of course I am why else would I be here." He replies, Berkengond doesn't say anything but just keeps looking around.

Melen sighs, the fact that it was so quiet was getting on his nerves, he had been expecting a big fight but that didn't seem to be happening, I'm so nervous I think I'd drop my sword if I drew it, just need to get a grip on myself, just the wait thats killing me, thats all, I can do this. Melen's hand now moved from his hilt to his bow hanging loosely from his back and he pulled that out along with an arrow ready to fire. "When it begins, we'll crush them, for old times." He says smiling at Berkengon now more sure of himself. "For our everlasting friendship."
Old 10-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #20
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Dashing with all haste towards the sounds of screams, Taurathol could feel his legs almost giving in, but he knew he could not stop. Tâlmor began to lag, but he pushed himself to run on still further.

Taurthol moved quickly and as quietly as possible. They were getting closer; the trail of green slime from fallen spiders was apparent, as well as the blood of elves. Taurthol drew his sword as a huge spider came into vew. it swiftly turned and growled at them. Running under the spider, Taurthol held up his sword and sliced the spider's belly. Falling to the ground with a crash the spider wriggled and slashed around.

Tâlmor came around the corner and saw the foul thing. Taurthol was about to cut its bulk from its head. But before he could do that, it thrashed out a leg and hit Tâlmor. Like a hit from a large spear, Tâlmor was pinned to a tree as the Spider was killed.

Taurthol dashed to his side and pulled the spider's leg out. Tâlmor fell to the ground and breathed heavily. Taurthol looked around helplessly.

"I am sorry, lord." said Tâlmor, "I have failed you."

"Do not say that!" cried Taurthol, "This cannot be your end, you must fight on!"

"I can hardly breath sir," he said with a struggle, "I don’t think I am going to make it."

"This is a terrible fate." said Taurthol gloomily, "All may be lost!"

"You must go to the king!" said Tâlmor grabbing Taurthol's shoulder, "I won't slow you down anymore."

"You never slowed me down." said Taurthol, "You are an excellent companion! You cannot die now!"

"I must," replied Tâlmor, "I can almost see it, Taurthol."

"See what?" he asked with a tear in his eye.

"The wide lands of Aman," answered Tâlmor as his eyes glittered, "Golden Mountains tipped with diamonds. Sapphire skies with silver clouds. Wide grass lads stretching into the distance. The mighty halls. There I shall find my rest. I go to it now, in peace." with that, his spirit departed and Taurthol was alone.

"Fear not, oh Tâlmor" he said shaking his head, "This shall not be in vain." He leaped to his feet and dashed off down towards the shouting and bawling of the spiders.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #21
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Ercuion frantically races through the condensed forest of Mirkwood. He could hear the screeching of the spiders up ahead, no more then 50 yards away he guessed. "Dang boy," Ercuion mumbles "why'd he have to run off, he couldn't have just waited for me. He's going to get himself killed." Ercuion's legs beging to give out, as he begins to stumble, but all he can think about is finding his brother. He must be getting closer, he could hear the creak of a bowstring being drawn. Then just ahead in the distance, he spots Nefal drawing back his bow. Two spiders have already been felled, but more were coming.

"Nefal!" Ercuion shouts, "GET BACK HERE! I TOLD YOU TO STAY BY ME AT ALL TIMES!"

In the midst of Ercuion's shouts, a rather large, black briskly furred spider, jumps out from behind Nefal. "NEFAL!" Ercuion screams. The spider is stopped by the screams of Ercuion, just in time for Nefal to turn, and shoot the beast right inbetween the eyes. The spider gives out a hoarse screech, and it's legs shrivel up like a grape in the sun. Ercuion runs up to join his brother.

"The company is just ahead." Nefal says, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

"It's useless to push forward, there's too many of them, and too few of us. We need to head away from the company, try to draw as many of them away, as we can. If we can spread them out, our chances are much better."

"Targon told us to head towards Lossenfirithion." Nefal smirks, looking at the ground, seeing the THREE spiders he managed to slay.

"Unfortunately, you just had to run off, and the ground is littered with spider tracks, it would take too much time to find Targon's trail, and we don't have that much. Plus, Lossenfirithion is a strong lad, he can fend for himself. We must draw these spiders away." Ercuion looks up and can hear the rumble of many legs, "Come they will be on us shortly. And this time, I beg, STAY by me. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."

"I'm flattered." Nefal responds sarcastically.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:40 PM   #22
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thranduil turned to look at the rest of his companions. This can not be our end. We must fight till the last spider has been slain. Nothing was going to change what was happening. The night was getting shorter and as he looked to the east he realized that it was near morning. "Men gather around. We need to take into count the number we have lost." He felt his heart drop when he say a minnute number coming towards him. It is as I feared.Our numbers have dwendled.

Looking around Thranduil couldn't seem to find his nephew. "Nefal, have you seen my nephew?" Remembering back Thranduil had promised his sister-in-law that he would bring back her son. After all Lossenfirithion was like his own son.

Taking in a better look at his surroundings, the "great" King realized he was on unfamilar ground. The group didn't take in the fact that the spiders were leading them and the trail would lead to almost anywhere. Thranduil glanced down at the ground and saw that under neath their path lay another fresh path. This path was the same path they had just traveled. Not only are we lost, we have been going around in circles. "Men we must rest and get our wits about us. For it seems that our attackers have lead us around in circles and into territory inwhich I have not traveled since I was younger. If anyone of you knows anything about the part of woods we are in, I wish to have an audience with he who is more intelligent." Thranduil went off to himself and was followed by Runia. No matter what Runia still couldn't forgive himself for allowing his father to sacrifice himself for Runia's sake.

Thranduil could tell that Runia's soul was troubled. "Runia what you father did was something only a man would do out of love. You must not allow it to burden your soul and cause you to become unvaluable. I need all the men I have to keep their sanity intact."

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-31-2004 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #23
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Firith was walking back towards the group, he could hear their voices, but he was walking blindly, he didn't know where they were, he didn't have a clue. His ears hear a rustling, and he slowly drew his knife, swiping it over his shoulder in a single, confident motion. The head of the spider that had been rearing up to attack him fell to the floor, dripping slime, Firith's blade had sliced it in half. Lossenfirithion emerged slowly from behind a tree and walked into the midst of the group. "Uncle, I hope you at least know where we are, I've never seen this part of the woods before." Thranduril's mouth opened slightly, but he hastily closed it again. Firith's guts turned to lead. All that he'd done, to save Targon had been for nothing. They were lost, in their own woods.

"The spiders are masterful indeed." Said Firith loud enough for everyone to hear, but in a feigned whisper. "They have managed to get a group of elves lost in their own woods." Thranduril looked at him with a pleading expression, and Firith stopped talking. He walked up to a tree and started to climb it. Nefal watched, his insides burning with dislike. Lossenfirithion was so perfect, he climbed with such grace you would think he was a spider himself. Nefal's anger swelled at these thoughts. How could he be Thranduril's favourite? That arrogant pig, he's worth nothing. But ruefully, Nefal was forced to say in his mind, "No...he's worth a great deal, that's why he's like this."
Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #24
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

White Tree

Dashing through the trees at full pelt, Taurthol cut his leg on a twig that was sticking out in his path. He paid no heed to it but kept on running. Soon he began to tire, the track was beginning to fade, and many feet had trampled it, all running in different directions.

Eventually, with much toil and anguish he came to where the rest of the party were. Many who saw him marvelled that he had caught up with them; he had green slime on his tunic and many cuts and burses. Some came to him offering aid, but he politely declined and came to the king.

"My lord, I have news," he panted "These spiders are not invincible. I have killed three of them, I bare wounds from them and they are not fatal." Thranduil turned to him in slight astonishment.

"Three?" he said, "By you?"

"Nay lord, with the help of Tálmor, but he is slain." Taurthol shook his head, suddenly remembering the grief, "I think we can destroy theses monsters, or at the least force them back to their lairs."

"How?" asked a near by elf, "You may have killed three, but that is only a few leaves in a forest, if you see what I mean."

"I did not say it was an impressive total." said Taurthol turning back to the king, "The best method, I think, is to detract them while others cut from them their weapon, their stinging tail. Then they will be weakened and discouraged. Thus our chances will be increased."

"I must think on this," replied Thranduil "The men may not like it."
Old 11-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Ercuion and Nefal are running as fast as their legs could carry, trying to draw out the spiders. Nefal stumbles, as his legs give out from under him, and shouts "Ercuion!" Ercuion turns, to quickly pull up Nefal, to his surpise, there was nothing around, nothing could be heard, no sound of spiders screeching, or their vile legs pounding, no more shouts from the rest of the company. Nefal gets up "What is it?" he turns to Ercuion.

"Nothing" he replies, "and that's what scares me." All Ercuion can think of is the spiders have taken the rest of the company, and their mission has ended in vain. And now, him and Nefal are stuck out in their own forest, with no idea where they are. Targon comes limping up through the brush, leaning on his sword. "I thought I heard something, we aren't far from camp, where's everyone else?"

"I don't know." Ercuion says, "The spiders were right behind us, then when Nefal stumbled, they were gone, they must have dispanded. I fear they have taken the rest of the company."

"Well, there's no use in just sitting here doing nothing. Come, lets look ahead, see if we can find any traces of them." Targon says.

The three men wonder about the forest floor, with spider prints scattered all over the ground. "Come here, I think I found something." Nefal shouts from ahead. "Here's a broke stick on the ground, with some blood trickling onward. It's definately not spider blood."

"Good boy," Targon smiles, "This is definately not spider blood, we are on the right trail." It wasn't before long when they heard the sounds of their brethren up ahead. All three come striding into the make-shift camp.

Thranduil seems pleased that they have all made it, he feared that he had to deal with three more deaths. He shouts towards Nefal, "Have you seen my nephew?"

"No" Nefal gritts his teeth, "We ran back towards camp, the number was too strong."

Targon walks up to Thranduil, "That blessed nephew of yours saved my life, but I haven't seen him for over an hour now, my lord."

At that Firith comes striding into camp, with barely a mark on him, striding about with an arrogant air around him. Nefal's face begins to be flooded with red, but he sits and has a seat, waiting to hear what Thranduil wants to do next.

Ercuion whispers his thoughts to Targon and Nefal. Nefal, pokes Ercuion, edging him on, but to no avail, and in a murmur, he says to Ercuion, "Fine, if you won't say it I will."

Nefal quickly, steps into the conversation, "I second Taurthol's plan. It seems as if the spiders have dispanded, and now are on the run, we continue to pursue them, that was a mission was it not?"

"No, no, no" Targon objects frustratingly, "You know not what you speak. It won't be long before they regroup, you saw their numbers, we will be cut down quickly if we pursue them. They want us to follow them, they are leading us towards their ultimate trap. We make our way back to the city, and that way we can send out in a full force in broader numbers, to get rid of them. There's too few of us now."

Thranduil walks up to Targon, puts his arm on his shoulder, "I think we would all want that Targon" Thranduil's voice sinks to a whisper so no one else can hear him, "You are the only other older member of this company, now that Uragonia is gone. So I trust you, we would all like to go home now I deem, but we've just been wondering in circles, nobody knows where we are. We're lost in MY own forest." Thranduil let's out a frustrated sigh, but Targon can tell he's under extreme depression.

Targon has nothing to say in reply, he simply nods and walks back to everyone else. Ercuion says nothing through the whole meeting. He is stuck between pursuing the spiders and have a possibility of being slaughtered, or wondering around in circles, and having a possibility of being slaughtered. When it comes to decisions, Ercuion isn't so good at them, he always feels the negative and can't live up to, what if people he cares for are killed because of the decisions he made. So he sits in total quiet, willing to go along with what the company decides.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #26
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

As time went by, the tension grew. The fear of attack grew by the minuet. Taurthol peered about the surroundings; there was something not right. He sensed some foreboding clouded his thought. Suddenly something moved behind them. Turning swiftly around he saw it! A huge spider. Greater than all the others. It was black, with red eyes that seemed to be forced out before its face with the fire of its own malice. Setting forth a tremendous screech the spider reared up onto its legs and stamped upon the ground.

All the elves drew their swords, bows and all. Before they knew what was happening, hundreds of minor spiders scrambled down from the trees. There were some large brown spiders with legs like claws, smaller dark blue spiders with thin slick legs. All of them had eyes of fire and seemed to be heading for the elves with no intent on stopping.

Taurthol drew a long steel blade and stood by the king and his esquires. One large spider crawled up to them, making squelching noises and drooling with intent. With one swift swipe, the body of the spider fell from its head and it writhed around in pain.

"That one's for Tálmor!" he cried, "Forget not these words, foul children of Ungoliant, this day, ye all shall perish!" and with that the elves plunged into a horrific battle.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:15 PM   #27
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

Besides a few murmurs, and whispers, nothing was said for quite some time. You would have thought everyone was dead. The Company sat in a circle, glaring from one face to the next, or just simply putting their head down. Nobody knew where they were at, and what was worse, nobody seemed to want to do anything about it. Finally Targon speaks again, "Lord Thranduil, you are our King, whatever decision you decide; we will follow." Thranduil acknowledges this, and seems to be please his men are still with him, at this point, but still he seems about as lost as everyone else.

A rustle in the the shrubs behind them was heard. The whole Company turned at the same moment, as if they were waiting to be attacked again. A giant spider, what looked like their leader, sprawls out of the bushes in front of everyone. Taurthol quickly cut down the greater spider, and for a second the other spiders closing in halted. But, they began to pursue again, only temporarily set back, by the death of their leader, since they were in overwhelming numbers, even a stronger force then the first attack.

Ercion shouted above the spider squawks, "To the TREETOPS! Fire our arrows down upon them."

But Targon quickly cuts in," No! It's a trap, they're COMING from the treetops!"

Thranduil in a bold, boisterous voice, "Stand together! Stand Back-to-Back! We can't afford to be split up." At Thranduil's words, Ercuion's morale rose slightly, if he was to die, he would want it to be beside his king, but he wasn't aware of what the rest of the company was feeling, he only knew, they needed some divine stroke of luck to get out of this massive onslaught.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:20 AM   #28
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Melen sat silently beside Berkengond, he was nervous his hair falling over his eyes, his hand lay uneasily on the hilt of his sword. "I'm scared Berkengond." He whispered to his best friend. "Fear not my friend you are one of the luckiest people I know and if you don't get through this no one will." Berkengond said back to him. Melen was heartened a bit by this and he sat silently until he heard the shouts and saw the spiders emerging, his heart filled with terror and something else, something he had never felt before. He sprung to his feet drawing his sword and would have rushed forward to his likely demise had Berkengond not restrained him.

"In due time, my friend." He whispered taking out his crossbow. Upon the order of standing back to back, Melen and Berkengond backed up with the others, Melen was very frightened by now but being by the others and the smile on his friends face made the fear vanish and soon he smiled too. "If this be our death we die together, as friends, as brothers." He said raising his sword, intending to say it to only Berkengond but his voice was much louder and seemed to bounce of the trees surrounding them Oh great! Everyone heard me, they must think I'm cracking under fear.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:08 AM   #29
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

"Death! Death!" Cried Taurthol, "Die you foul creatures!" he cut down a further five spiders that came towards them. He laughed, he could not say weather it was madness or the thrill of battle. Probably both.

One spider leaped into the air and headed straight at the king. But before Taurthol could turn his blade thither another spider was on his back. Taurthol fell over backwards and the spider tried to peace him. Swiftly he drew an arrow from his quiver and leaped to his feet. Without a second thought the arrow had shot through the spider's head.

Turning about Taurthol saw that several spiders were attacking the king. His closest friends were attempting to aid him, but there were too many. He fired an arrow into the cluster of spiders that now massed about them. It seemed that for every spider he killed, three replaced it. Then, as if to answer their plight, the skies opened and the rain began to fall.

Very quickly the ground became soggy and hard to walk in. some of the larger spiders fell over and could not get back up. Lifting his sword, the king signalled for and attack. All of the elves drew swords and set out to hack down the spiders one by one, while the rain lasted.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #30
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

The decry of Thranduil continued to echo through the forest, "Stand back to back!, Form a circle!" The spiders broke upon the company in massive force. Ercuion and Targon were in the front, fighting off the assault, Nefal was standing behind, launching his arrows into the mass of spiders. Nefal turned to see Thranduil's line was on the verge of collapsing, as well as Taurthol's and Melian's.

It just struck Nefal, for the first time, that they may not make it back home alive. Ercuion and Targon continued to cut down the spiders, but more just kept crashing upon them. A large thick skinned, black furred spider, threw itself upon Targon and pierced it's wretched stinger into Targon's back. Nefal goes to shout out Targon, but his face floods with tears, and only rasps out, "Targon!"

The large spider made it's way towards Nefal, reared up, then fell splat on the floor with an arrow in it's gut. Nefal spits on the spider and kicks it in a fit of rage. Ercuion didn't even notice what had happened to Targon until he saw spiders pouring over Targon's body and into the center of the company, the line was broken. It wouldn't be long until they were overrun.

A large crack was heard, but it hadn't come from the spiders or anyone from the company. Ercuion gazed up, it came from the sky. He quickly slashed the belly of a spider about to strike him. And again, he looks up, as another crack was heard, and before one could snap his fingers, large and numerous drops began to fall to the ground, and before long it began to pour. The spiders couldn't get any hold on the ground, and their legs began slipping and sliding from under them. They were frantically trying to regain themselves, but over and over, fell and slipped to the ground. This was everyone's chance to reform and drive the spiders back.

Last edited by Boromir88; 11-14-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:40 PM   #31
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

The rain was falling and the ground beneath Thranduil's feet had already began to change to mudd. The number of the spiders had increased dramatically, he looked around to see how the others were doing. His nephew was making Thranduil even prouder of him at that moment. He knew when they returned that he would have alot of things to explain to the families of his fallen followers. The sight of the others fighting for their own life made Thranduil think back to his family at home. He was fighting for his son and wife. He was fighting for the people who believed in him.

Without thinking about the current situation, Thranduil was unaware of the large six-legged spider approaching from behind him. "Thranduil look behind you!" At the sound of Nefal calling his name, Thranduil snappped back into reality. He turned in time to see the spider getting ready to wrap him in its soft silk string of unpridactable death. Thranduil pulled his sword out of its holder and swung it towards the oncoming invader. The spider leaned back to avoid the sharp piece of flying metal. With its good leg the spider knocked the sword out of Thranduil's hands and sent the sword flying across the mudd.

Now Thranduil didn't know what to do. Running towards the spider with his small dagger held high, Thranduil slipped on a slick spot in the mudd and went to the ground. His dagger lay beside him as he lay there motionless. He feared for the worse. The spider came closer and closer, doing his best to regain his thoughts Thranduil rolled over on his side to attempt to stand up. Unfortunately before he was able to fully stand on his own legs, Thranduil felt something sharp go across the back of his leg. Now what? He thought to himself.I know I'm as good as dead. The others will have to continue without me.

Looking at his leg, he noticed a cut in his clothes and what seemed like blood trying to escape his body. Thranduil reached for his dagger and turned to get "revenge" only to be pushed down by the spiders over-grown legs. I will not die here. The spider stood over the mudd covered, rain soaked, wounded King. With a thrust of his dagger, Thranduil brought the adult spider down upon himself. Pushing the spider aside, Thranduil stood up all the way. He looked around in the mudd to find his trademark sword. He knew if someone else was to find it that the kingdom will fear that the King met his fate in the dreaded forest surrounding Mirkwood. The cut on his leg seemed to worsen with the fighting going on around him. Thranduil wouldn't let his "flesh" wound drag him down. He needed to be with his men, he needed to fight for his family.

Last edited by Witch_Queen; 11-17-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #32
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

A spider reared over Nefal, catching him off guard and knocking him to the ground with a huge leg. As it drew closer, Nefal saw the teeth chattering and the many eyes bulging. It rearer again onto its hind legs, preparing to strike. Nefal looke up, determined to meet his death with open eyes and without fear, though inside he was quaking. He saw Lossenfirithion, inhumanly fast, jump clean over the spider's left shoulder with his sword drawn, spinning as he passed its head. What happened next was over so fast Nefal didn't see it, but he saw Firith land in front of him, without his sword. Looking up, he retched in horror to see the spider roaring frantically, trying to dislodge the sword that had punctured right through its head. It hurled itself at Firith, who flung himself to the side, grabbed the hild of his sword and pulled with all his might. The front of the spiders head split seconds before it would have crushed Nefal and it crashed to the ground.

Nefal stood shakily up, looking at Lossenfirithion. Had it not been for him he would be dead now without doubt. He saw Firith arrogantly dust his cloak off, before he saw Thranduril wrestling with a spider on the ground.
"Uncle!" He heard Firith shout as he startde to run towards Thranduril, both his long knives drawn and spinning round his hands...
Old 11-17-2004, 03:07 PM   #33
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

"This relentless attack will not stop!" cried Taruthol in disperse, "There are too many of them!" Thranduil stumbled, he looked injured. Taurthol turned to rush to his side, but a considerably large spider leapt him upon. It thrust its face up to Taurthol's but it was hewn from him. Taurthol got to his feet and began again to hack down more of the spiders.

Thranduil had taken a long sword and done a great injury to one of the largest spiders. The other hideous things seemed a little despaired. Taurthol lifted his sword and cried aloud; "Elves! Let us rise up and do our duty!" With that the elves seemed to gain more energy from nowhere. They began to push the spiders back.

Taurthol stood in the middle of the combat; the rain was battering down upon his head. He smiled, he thought he could see victory ahead. But as if to combat his thought, a spider of huge proportions smashed through the trees be hind him. Before Taurthol could swing around to draw his sword he was flung out of the path of the spider a long with many other elves. Swiftly he leaped to his feet and held his sword in a firm grip.

A sudden burst of anger filled Taurthol as he saw Thranduil in distress. his injury was hindering his combat, more and more spiders came to him as if to spite them all. Leaping with all of his might, Taurthol dived into the belly of the largest spider. the sword drove deep into the belly of the beast and it let forth a huge cry of pain. Thranduil turned and nodded at Tauthol. The rain was beginning to clear, this was not good, the spiders began to re gain their confidence.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-17-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #34
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Melen wasn't really sure what to do or how to do it as the spiders came crashing down upon them and perhaps it was by luck or Berkengond's courage and skill that Melen had survived through till now unharmed. Berkengond was letting loose bolt after bolt in quick succesion in attempts to take out the spiders but it wasn't working and he was running out of bolts. Melen was nervously looking around holding his sword with shaky hands, he had strayed away from Berkengond in the midst of the battle and when he saw their leader Thranduil fighting he was inspired enough.

Melen blindly rushed forward swinging his sword at the oncoming rush of foes and by pure luck he managed to injure a few and in his blind foolishness he was surrounded by spiders, Melen though this was the end but he was ready to make it an end to be remembered if any of the party made it back. He thrust his sword into the spider closest to him hitting it right in the face, killing it istantly but this little victory of his own wouldn't last long as he was stabbed in the back of his leg by a stinger, he swung around slashing his sword without looking and quite accidentaly cut of the attackers stinger leaving it lodged just under his knee.

Berkengond had seen his friend in trouble and wasted no time in rushing to him but he had just one bolt left he held the bolt as a small spear and made his way through the small party surrounding Melen by stabbing them in their neck. "Fear not my friend." He shouted heartily at Melen. Melen was heartened at the sight of his friend and momentarily forgot his injury and thrust his sword into another spider, hurting it enough for it to flee but not enough to kill it. Melen and Berkengond joined hands and backed a bit getting closer to their own companions and turned to face the spiders headed at them.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 PM   #35
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thranduil looked around to notice that the spiders were what seemed as defeated. The celebration rung through out the trees. Nefal turned at the sound of something off in the distance. The celebration was shortly lived. The group turned to see trees falling to the ground. Suddenly through the coming darkness the group could make out what appeared to be a giant spider. "Men this is what we have been waiting for!" Thranduil turned and led the group in a fool scale attack on the huge spider.

The battle seemed to last forever. Before they knew it the spider had been over run by elves. With his sword drawn, Thranduil swiftly cut off the head of the spider. "Men we have accomplished what we set out to do. Now we may return home." The group turned to head back in the direction they had came from.

A few days past and the tired group looked ahead of them only to see the gates of Mirkwood. Thranduil couldn't think of a time in which he was happier. "Men now we can live our lives without having to worry about our safety. Though the woods may never be safe, for now it is." Thranduil turned and led his trusted men into the kingdom.

Our deed is done. Now to explain to the wives of the fallen men, that their husband and children died protecting the future generations.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:28 AM   #36
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien Taurthol's end.

Staggering forward, Taurthol came to Thranduil and stood by his side. Taurthol held his stomach and seemed in great distress, but he walked on. Thranduil looked on him with worry, he wondered if he was hurt.

"Yea, lord, I fear I shall not come to thine favoured halls," said Taurthol "I am mortally wounded." he lifted his hand from his body and Thranduil saw that there was a lot of blood coming forth from it. "I wished only to say farewell to thee, my king." and with that he fell to his knees and then to the floor. Two elves came to him and faced him upwards. They examined him and one turned to Thranduil and shook his head.

"Alas," cried on elf, "He was a valiant warrior. Greatly thou shalt be mist, Taurthol of Mirk wood."

He was placed upon a bed and carried back with the company. Their pace was slowed and some feared that the threat of the spiders would never really be gone.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:04 AM   #37
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

"Doleth!" Lossenfirithion cried out, "DOLETH!" Looking around, he saw his son's sword lying broken on the ground. He began to run frantically around the battlefield, searching, hoping, praying. His eye caught on the figure of his Dolendelothion. He ran to him, shaking him by the shoulders, but his son's blue face looked up, his colourless lips gave no emotion, his shut eyes no hint of life.

As Firith pulled away he saw his hand was wet with blood. Looking down, he saw that his son had been all but ripped in two by the vice like jaws of the spiders. Screaming in anguish, he knelf next to his son's fallen body and lowered his head into his hands, weeping.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

The spiders had retreated, the fighting had ceased, but despite the spiders being defeated, a certain gloom hung around the company.

Ercuion approached Thranduil, "My lord, may we carry Targon's body back to the city, and give him a proper burial?"

Thranduil nodded, he didn't know what else he could say or do to relieve the sorrow of this day. He granted everyone will carry the dead back to the city and they will be buried in honor, he thought that was the least he could do. Nefal sat huddled over Targon's white face, with unstoppable streams of tears rolling down his face. Thranduil walked up behind Nefal, and rested his arm on his shoulder, "Come, we will take him back to the city and give the dead the burial they all deserve." Nefal couldn't say anything, he was still angry, angry at Thranduil, angry at the spiders, angry at everyone.

Ercuion sat by himself, thinking, if only I had spoken up, if only I had from the very beginning, things might have been different. Targon, or the rest of these noble elves wouldn't be dead, if I only spoke up.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-03-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #39
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

~*~ Finis ~*~
Old 12-09-2004, 09:36 PM   #40
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

The Eye

~*~ To Elvenhome ~*~