The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2006, 08:25 AM   #3521
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Out of sheer curiousity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
I mean nobody is signing up for them so I say this is the perfect time to take a break from it, especially after all that disagreeing.
Why did so few sign up for Glirdan's game?

Holidays? Too much work? Played too much werewolf lately? Or are you really upset about that stupid quarrel?

By the way, I didn't sign up because of the roleplay element in the game. I'm not really into that. But I'm impatiently waiting for Sleepy's.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #3522
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hmm that could be a good point Mac, Glirdan's does have that extra element that some players might not like. Sleepy, are you actually busy at the moment or could you mod?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #3523
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

I can mod but as I said I'll be away from the computer till the 7th. If you'd like I can set up the admin thread right now so people can sign up and then I can probably start the game as soon as I get back home. Then again we'd also have to work out certain parts of the rules and the deadline so it'd probably start by the 10th. Actually I will set it up now so people can sign up.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #3524
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmmm...

As much as I like the idea of having a game to play this month, this was not the intention of my post. I fear a little that this will draw even more players away from Glirdan.

On the other hand, if Sleepy starts around the 10th, then the game will most probably be finished before September, when Glirdan plans to begin.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #3525
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
My feeling was that players who have been put off by what's been going on might appreciate a slightly simpler game to start off with, which I'm hoping Sleepy's is. Then, when his is over those who played will hopefully have begun to enjoy themselves again, as well as anyone watching, and then more players will want to join Glirdan's game having got back into the swing of things.

Also as you say the timings should work out pretty well.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:47 AM   #3526
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
That actually sounds like a fair idea to me. Of course, even while this is going on, I will still gladly accept anybody who would like to sign up for mine and any questions, just ask.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #3527
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

The admin thread is up and I seem to have forgotten the most important rule. How typically me. Have a look if you'd like to join.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #3528
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Holidays? Too much work? Played too much werewolf lately? Or are you really upset about that stupid quarrel?

By the way, I didn't sign up because of the roleplay element in the game. I'm not really into that. But I'm impatiently waiting for Sleepy's.
Looking at the number of sign-ups for Sleepy's game, I guess it wasn't the roleplay element.
Let's hope there will be more players once autumn comes.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #3529
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I honestly don't know why almost nobody seems to want to play Werewolf anymore. It may have something to do with The Great Golden Hoard, but I'm not so sure. Where are SpM, phantom, dancing spawn, Boromir88, Wilwa, LMP, Firefoot, Eomer the Ever-Suspicious, and Nilp the Suicidal these days? I'm seriously considering PMing people within the next few days...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #3530
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As for me the last game I played in left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I think most of us, I know I did, needed a break from it. I think my passion is coming back though and may be interested in signing up again soon.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #3531
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
To state the obvious: it's a combination of all of these reasons...

I myself have had a busy / erratic time as comes to staying online on daily basis and therefore have not wanted to sign up in any game. I still think that you will have to have the time and resources to really play and not just hang around - tactics or not.

But I would be happy to join a new game soon enough - and hopefully my eagerness to join doesn't have the effect of drawing down the numbers here.

I don't exactly understand what went so wrong a couple of months ago. I see the basic problem, surely, but the effects seem far too heavy in respect of the primary problem. Aren't we all capable of learning? Shouldn't we trust each other that much?

Werewolfing is great fun and it would be sad if it would dry out just because of one game.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #3532
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It is great fun, but so many of us have played so many games that it becomes less of a thrill. Everything diminishes, we should know this better than most other people on the internet!

I'd like to play in a no-frills game.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #3533
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think one of the problems is that we're having two games to start at the same time. People must choose a game and thus both games end up short of players. If Glirdy and Sleepy could make an agreement, which game is to be played first, I (and probably some other players) could play in both and both games would be played and the tradition would continue...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #3534
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
I think one of the problems is that we're having two games to start at the same time. People must choose a game and thus both games end up short of players. If Glirdy and Sleepy could make an agreement, which game is to be played first, I (and probably some other players) could play in both and both games would be played and the tradition would continue...
We've already done that a long time back. Whoever gets the required players first will start and the other will hold their game later. In case you've not noticed both Glirdy and I have signed up for each other's games.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:32 AM   #3535
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
We've already done that a long time back. Whoever gets the required players first will start and the other will hold their game later. In case you've not noticed both Glirdy and I have signed up for each other's games.
Alright. then I'll go and sign up for Glirdy's game too.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #3536
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Do we have a list of upcoming mods? I glanced through a few pages, but couldn't find a recent one. Now that I have more time, I'd like to play a game or two, and when I'm given the opportunity, I'd like to run another game.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #3537
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Well Fea, Glirdan's currently modding a game that still needs a few players, so you could sign up there. Feel free to mod; however, Sleepy will have a game started right after Glirdan's is over, so you might have to wait a while.

I'm actually thinking about modding a game myself sometime this fall...
Old 08-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #3538
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I can wait. What I want is not to be rushed, anyhow.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #3539
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Has that list of moderators in waiting been trashed? I recall being on it....
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #3540
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I recall you being on it as well. I also seem to remember mormegil on it. No worries about me snaking a spot of my own accord. I'm only going to slip in when my dream team has responded as a whole and we've worked out when is best for everybody.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #3541
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
  • Sleepy Ranger
  • Gurthang
  • Anguirel
  • The Saucepan Man
  • littlemanpoet
  • Oddwen
  • mormegil
  • Durelin
  • Diamond

That I think is the last most current list. Not sure though, it's hard to find stuff in this massive thread.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:07 PM   #3542
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would be willing to give over my spot to Feanor, and offer Diamond the 'rights' to do a "Dueling Wizards" werewolf game if she so desires. And if she does, I would be willing to either shut up and let her run the thing or offer any advice that is asked for.

It should be noted, in such a context, were it to become a reality, that I have said "yes" to Roa and Valier to be the sub-mods for my game. That is, of course, completely non-binding upon Diamond if she wishes to do a DW werewolf game. Nevertheless, I must offer my apologies to R & V for stepping down and potentially withdrawing their opportunities to sub-mod such a game.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-20-2006 at 07:10 PM.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #3543
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Many thanks, my friend. Whether I can accept the offer will depend on what time frame is best for the players I'm bribing. If they tell me to wait until next year, I'll do it.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM   #3544
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd still like to mod again, but it looks like I might not be able to until sometime next year...you can put me on the tail end of the list if you want, though the way it's going you may not have to.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #3545
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Actually I have that Lovers game in the works, which I'm still rather into even though it promises to be a complicated near-impossibility, and so I would have to pass on doing a DW style game.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:09 AM   #3546
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
  • Sleepy Ranger
  • Gurthang
  • Anguirel
  • The Saucepan Man
  • littlemanpoet
  • Oddwen
  • mormegil
  • Durelin
  • Diamond

That I think is the last most current list. Not sure though, it's hard to find stuff in this massive thread.
I did ask to be put on the list too..........as a long term project ..which may be even more long term...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:43 AM   #3547
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Don't worry, Mith-you can take my place in the list. You've been waiting for aeons, and we are going to be co-operating after all.

Oh, by the way, I'm back and at your service...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #3548
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh, how funny that the list of mods should be the last thing talked about.

Well, I'd like to be added onto the list. It doesn't matter to me when. . .if my turn never comes 'round, so be it, but I'd like to try.

I'd also be interested in joining in the next game, if there's another one coming up and if there's still room.

-- Folwren
Old 09-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #3549
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Folwren, after Glirdan's game is finished Sleepy is starting his. We'd love to have you.

Sleepy's Game
Old 09-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #3550
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I have sent this post to the WWJ-thread as the discussion about this is ranging around in there at the moment. But just for you too to think and comment over, I'll send it here too...

----------------------
I see the problem as follows.

We do not have as many players wishing to play as we had last spring (or earlier, as I have only been told). So there are not enough people to make two games simultaneously.

That requires something like co-ordination. Making WW and WWJ games go one after another would do the trick, as it has done for the last games anyhow? (And then there is all that discussion, whether it's wise to have those both separated in the first place)

Still I think that having both of these threads / arenas open will give us more flexibility as some games might go on simultaneosly if there were enough players around, but when not, the one game might wait for the other to end or release enough dead-ones to jump to the other game.

No one can really play in two games at the same time, we all know that. So if only a handfuyl of people wish to play, why not arrange a possibility for everyone? The most stupid thing is to have two games about to begin, but neither being actually able to start as the one has 10 players and the second 12, all just waiting for someone else to make a move...

What I mean? I could play in both Sleepy's and Valier's game, surely. But as Sleepy's game has been announced earlier, I have put myself in that list. If those wishing to play and have only listed to the Valier-game could be assured that they can take part in Valier's too, they might sign in the Sleepy game and that could go forwards tomorrow...

Ideas?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #3551
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
I'm still saying that my game requires quite a bit of players, so combining both WW and WWJ after Sleepy's and valiers games are done seems like a good choice for me
Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #3552
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
I'm still saying that my game requires quite a bit of players, so combining both WW and WWJ after Sleepy's and valiers games are done seems like a good choice for me
So your game is the next? Or Gurthang's?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #3553
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
As to me modding a game... I'd say unlikely. I know right now I wouldn't have the time, but I'd still like to keep my name there just in case. I may decide to just forsake that extra bit of sleep each night so I can host a game.

I'll see when the time comes.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #3554
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
1420!

Hmm, let me know if I've messed up on this list

Okay sooo there's

Gurthang was next, but he doesn't know now(?)
Ang is allowing Mith to do hers in his place...she would be next then?
Fea(Elempi is allowing her to take his spot)
Morm
Durelin
Diamond
Oddwen
Foley

Gil is on the wwj list.

Last edited by Naria; 10-05-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #3555
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

You can take me off the list. I have hung up my werewolving paws for the time being.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:36 AM   #3556
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Seeing that there are two lists, but not seeing much difference in Glirdan's and Sleepy Ranger's games that I have played. What is the difference between WW and WWJ? They did seem to have more difference earlier, but now the popularity of WW seems to have been going down and both games have the same amount of players.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:41 AM   #3557
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

What if everyone who wants to mod a game finds the latests modding list from the thread and just reposts it with his/her name in the end? And the same goes for all the changes?

The current system seems to cause confusion and people ending up with different lists.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:34 AM   #3558
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
White-Hand

That sounds like a really good idea Lommy!

Quote:
What is the difference between WW and WWJ?
My initial understanding was that ww 'senior' was supposed to be just that, a senior game, where more experienced players would get to play in, if the mod wanted, a more complex game with the ability to have more players join. The wwj game were supposed to be for the less experienced or people who didn't want to get involved in a complex game. I think having it this way gives newbies a chance to play in a game with a little less tension and also gives them a chance to 'get their feet wet' with a smaller group(no more than 15 players, preferably less). I don't really know what happened to this 'system' of werewolf.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #3559
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
What is the difference between WW and WWJ?
Naria you are correct in your response however, there is one key point you didn't add and that is that WWJ is mainly there as an overflow. When WW games are too crowded we can have a second WWJ game playing concurrently.

I feel with the popularity declining a bit we probably should slow our games down on the Junior thread and stick to the WW thread for any games.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:22 AM   #3560
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
If we do so, I think we should make it so that people that have never played before can "push" expirienced players out. . . . I remember when I wanted to join the first time, you really had to be fast, as the games were full in no time.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote