The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #441
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
hmmm I am not so sure I like the idea of retractable votes..but then again I have never played a game that had them.I played the werewolf game that is still currently being played.I got murdered by Werewolves,I might add
But if others think it will make the game more interesting...then I'm up for it.

Oh also if we have the Ranger we must decided how many nights they can protect one person, and how many times can the Seer ask the same dead person ie:Werewolf
Old 01-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #442
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Retractable votes are part of the original formula. Non retractable votes are a modification which stuck (started by, I think, The Saucepan Man in WW2?) in the mainstream game (apart from "my"game ?). If I ever get to Mod the return to Midsomer Mawlin they will return .. though I hope not to have to ressurect anyone again.... very fatiguin'....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #443
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Posted by Valier:
Quote:
Oh also if we have the Ranger we must decided how many nights they can protect one person, and how many times can the Seer ask the same dead person ie:Werewolf
In the usual rules it was only one night for a ranger to protect, then he/she had to take a day off and focus on someone else. As for the seer role, it was seriously tweeked in the game we were in. Usually the seer goes to the moderator only and not a dead person. That was a new thing Form tried. In the normal seer role you can only ask the mod about one person once, but once is all you need.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #444
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

well, i don't much care either way, whatever we decide. i seem to have only played in rather small uncomplicated games with non retractable votes. that was fun, and i can't really make a judgement on the fun-level of a larger game, so why not give it a try. either way is cool with me...

i think i will be...lets see...a hermit who lives in a small wigmam in the woods behind the village.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #445
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
I'm going to leave the rules discussing to people who know what they're talking about, but considering that for a fact there are two WW new comers it would probably be better to have the basic set of characters and... well have fun with the votes. Retractable votes would make it kind of easy, and not as thoughtful, as I see it-- though believe me, I can -totally- see the advantage of taking it back.

But enough about that from me (since I'm just a novice and all...) I had this idea of being a professional tumbler/acrobat but the setting would be silly and awkward (... unless thats how you like it ). Otherwise I can be a milk maid of small stature and high pitch.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #446
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Can we just let the mod set out the rules?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #447
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
Can we just let the mod set out the rules?
I agree. Oh MOD-GOD ......what shall we do? set us on the path to enlightenment!!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #448
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

If we're still offering up opinions, I'd like to take a whack at retractable votes. However, the final decision is, of course, up to our dear Glirdan.

As for an occupation, is 'pompous windbag' taken yet?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 PM   #449
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
And the Mod-God returns!!

Ok! I've come to a desicion. After reading all the posts, I say (this is probably already aparent) the game will be.....NO FRILLS! So, back to the basics. But, I will add the Cursed in there to make a little more paranoia. So, game type is set, almost everyone has checked in with me. i still need a role from Thin, Kath and Eomer however. Marcolie, are you playing or no? If yes, I need to know within the next few hours. Ok, one small order of buissness to take care of. What shall the name of the game be? Any suggestions? Any word from Sleepy?

Updated Players list (with roles)

Garin - carpenter
Eonwe - hermit in a wigwam
Roa - village apothecary
Thin
Ang - idealistic, chivalrous, lovelorn young squire
Eomer
Mith - mysterusly walthy widow
Kath - tortoise herder
Gandalf - village wizard
Valier - local dog trainer
Shelob - Web Head Hats owner
Valesse - tumbler/acrobat (awkwardness is kewl)
Wayne - actor
Fea - village maicurist
Crombie - pompous windbag
tar - lady with all the cats

Last edited by Glirdan; 01-19-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #450
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh, err - I'll be a tortoise herder!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #451
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Nan Qualinmerë = Death Wish Valley

Don't know if anybody else likes it, but it's got such a Tol-in-Gaurhoth charm to it.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #452
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I like that Fea. I think I'll use that. Does everyone concur? And just a little information, this is only the THIRD game of WWJ!! Shows how long we've had to put this game off!!! Oh, Gil, do you have any particular occupation you'd like to have? I'm including you in the death (we'll talk about how we want to die later). Thin and Eomer, I still need an occupation from you. To let everyone know now, I'm going to send out the roles tonight. I'll have the site up later on tonight (hopefully) and we'll start the game at around 10:30 Eastern Time tomorrow. Sound good? Another thing, if you haven't posted anything in TWO days, you WILL be lynched!! Just to clarify the roles:

1 Seer
1 Hunter
1 Ranger
1 Cursed
3 Wolves
9 Ordos
Retractable Votes

That ok with everyone?

Last edited by Glirdan; 01-19-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #453
Garin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Sounds good, Glirdan.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #454
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Fine with me. I'd like to remind everyone that on weekdays I have school, meaning that most days I won't be able to do anything until around 4pm eastern time.

Haven't seen Sleepy online yet, so continue as you are, if I do I'll still let him know what's going on.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #455
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
we'll start the game at around 10:30 Eastern Time tomorrow
Am or pm? either should be fine but i need to know right away!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #456
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

PM. I have school in the am, so I can't really do it then.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #457
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
PM. I have school in the am, so I can't really do it then
That's perfect for me, I have school in the afternoon,so that works
Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #458
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Ok. I sent out the roles. I'm about to have the thread up. Thin and Eomer still have a chance to give me their occupation. If they don't, I will come up with one for them. I will also have the new thread linked to my sig.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #459
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Due to some organized chaos (classes), please don't expect posts from me during "normal" school time hours (I've got this term's schedule set up like highschool... day time classes all in a row).

Can't wait to start.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #460
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Glirdan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
(Glirdan modding and Fea playing... This starts to sound familiar....)

If we are some kind of cattle village, I think we should have someone with cattle. So I'll be a rich widow, who has cattle.

I'm sorry for you, Sleepy. I hope you can manipulate your dad enough to get back to modding...

And how these seer-shiriffs work?
EDIT: See my post below!

Last edited by Thinlómien; 01-20-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:18 AM   #461
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I think the gap may becasue I had said I would be a mysteriously wealthy widower first.... but I will change to my second choice of Falconer/Austringer if you like... lest the spirit of Lilian Bellamy take over my soul on a permanent basis........

Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #462
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I think the gap may becasue I had said I would be a mysteriously wealthy widower first.... but I will change to my second choice of Falconer/Austringer if you like... lest the spirit of Lilian Bellamy take over my soul on a permanent basis........
Oh sorry, I didn't notice... I should probably concentrate more on this game.

If someone's to change a role, it's me, not you. I'll be an old cattle owner (not a rich one), ex-mercenary.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 01-20-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:29 AM   #463
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

I already gave an occupation, I'm the village doctor. I'll let you off though, Glirdy.

By the way, I understand 'No frills' to mean: Wolves, Seer and Ordinary Villagers.

I will play in such a game sometime this year.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #464
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Ah, see! That's what happens when you don't get clarification on things. But it will still be fun. I mean, retractable votes!! How long has it been since a game with retractable votes!? Oh, and I started the thread. As you see, it's linked to my sig. So, if you have any questions you may post them there. As well, make sure you are all Invisible!! If you don't know how to turn yourself invisible, here's how to do it. Go into your User CP, go into Edit Options and click the box that says Show me as Invisible..
Old 01-21-2006, 02:20 AM   #465
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm going to be in London this afternoon and evening, gadding around and then going to the theatre, so will probably vote drastically early.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:24 AM   #466
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I shall probably vote early every day, because I'm usually sleeping at the time when day changes to night.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #467
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

One last thing, the time of my death is not the actual time. Take off about half an hour to an hour. And that'll be the time.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #468
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tomorrow shall be painful to me because chances are I won't be able to have computer access until 7:30 or 8 PM (EST.) So, if I'm silent tomorrow for most of the day, I'm so very sorry. I shall try to make up for it when I get back.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:19 PM   #469
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I too will be out most of tomorrow. I should start posting somewhere around 7 EST, otherwise it will be very late before I can get going again.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #470
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
I have some classes tomorrow, but those shouldn't take much time at... Well I guess its "today". I just haven't gone to sleep yet.

Two days, Two nights, four deaths... and Valesse is already addicted. (Yes I speak in third person sometimes: It gives me an edge.) Great game you've got going, guys and gals! (Glirdan and Gil especially.)
Old 01-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #471
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Same for me with classes. I'll be away from the internet (sob! ) until late afternoon/early evening.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 AM   #472
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I too will spend long periods of time at "chivalry school"...
Old 01-23-2006, 06:45 AM   #473
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

I'm here to take myself off the "people with school" list. School's been cancelled today! (hurrah!) So, I'll be online for most of the day.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #474
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe I'm Back

I'm back... well at least partially, if the games started then thats good and well if it hasn't and you want me back then I'm willing by all means.

Anyway I'm sorry for being away for having to cut away so suddenly but thats life, no?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #475
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hi, I know I have been quiet but I work and I don't have home access..... I am lingering after work but my sinuses are killing me and I don't fancy sitting for hours in a cold cyber cafe. I was ill all over Christmas with sinusitis and given that my project is coming to fruition at work I have to put that first and not risk my health again. I may be able to get online (I have to deliver my uncle's birthday present and they have broadband.... ) I fI survive I promise to be around more... but I think I will have to bow out early tonight .. I am sorry but....

Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #476
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
Sleepy, welcome back! We've started without you, I'm afraid--we're deep in Day 2.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #477
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Yes Sleepy, welcome back. People suggested that I take over for you seeing as you were gone and we're almost at the end of Day 2 now. Aobut half an hour left and I'll post the death. If you need to talk to me about anything, PM or send me an E-mail (that was meant for Sleepy.)
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #478
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

Ah, no I'm fine. I'll mod some other game, some other time. Guess I'll have to start from the bottom of the mod list but thats alright since I'm more or less tied up till Feb 20th.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #479
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I believe we discussed having you mod the next game, and so merely switch places with Glirdan. It only seems fair. I'm sure whoever's next on the list won't mind, given the circumstances.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Old 01-24-2006, 08:24 AM   #480
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

W-ell, thats awfully nice of you people!
Thang you very buch but alas I shan't be able to do anything till the 20th of Feb. (Two days after my birthday just so you know >_>)
Anyway I guess I'll put dibs on the next game after 20th Feb if nobody minds. Thank you once again.
Closed Thread