The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2002, 05:11 PM   #1
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Gollum Poll

Here's a little poll I've been arguing about with a friend.

Gollum, do you like him or not. Why/Why not.

Personally, I luv him, b/c he was so used, and so realistic.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 06:20 PM   #2
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I know gollum was a necessary character and he was definately funny at times, but If I had been Sam I would have killed him.
Old 04-05-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I realy like Gollum. I think it's because of the sparks that fly between him and Sam.
There chariters are realy brought out when they're togeter.
And if you read WHAT IF GOLLUM DIED in the BOOKS you will see that Gollum was nesasary for the survival of Middle Earth.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:07 PM   #4
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Gollum.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:54 PM   #5
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Sting

At first, in the hobbit I found him rather--well, I really didn't know what to think. Then you find out his history, and dislike him even more. But from the TT and on, Gollum kinda grew on me. Although he was traitor--like, he really was faithful and loyal to our heroes. And well, he IS responsible for the downfall of Sauron so we have to give him SOME credit...hehehe

So, overall, I think Gollum's a character that just needs some lovin', because he's alright.
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:05 PM   #6
Vinyacairwen
Pile O'Bones

Vinyacairwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyacairwen
Sting

I don't like Gollum, though I know he is a very important character. Though I get very into those cobversations with himself...odd O.o.
If I were Sam, I would have probably ended up killing him. Gollum is just an icky icky bad man (or hobbit, shall we say)..but he's okay, in a way. I guess. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] .
Old 04-06-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

He's sort of a necessary evil. Can't say if I like him, but he is, well, nececssary.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 12:05 AM   #8
CelevonNîth

Tolkien

I always liked Gollum [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I found him funny... which I guess is a bit odd, come to think of it.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:09 AM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I liked him until the whole Shelob incedent. That kind of un-did it for me. I felt betrayed [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:04 AM   #10
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Sorry, but I never liked him too much. He was wonderfully portrayed, but he was definitely one of those characters who is great for interpretation and horrible to think about standing next to you. If I'd been Sam I doubt I would have resisted the temptation (especially at the last, on Sauron's Road) to kill him, or at least tie him up or handicap him in some way so he couldn't come after me and possibly shove me into the Cracks of Doom. And yes, this would definitely have doomed the Quest. Still, he didn't know how it would end. To be honest (if callous) I would very likely have felt sorry for him and his life of enslavement to the Ring, but that feeling would only have really developed once he was safely incinerated in Orodruin and I was back in the Shire, without the prospect of being taken by the throat unawares.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:31 AM   #11
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Urgh. I dont like him. I guess he did have a lot going on in his head, but it dosen't make me like him anymore. I guess I love to hate him.
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 08:27 AM   #12
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Gollum is cool!!!! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

oh dear, Maikadawen seems to be having a strange effect on me, I seem to be beginning to like evil over good - however, the problem comes when I start liking the Nazgul! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 06:08 PM   #13
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Pipe

Gollum is too awesome for me to adequately epress! The way he talks is so endearing. And he's so.....i dunno...I've just loved him since the first time I read the Hobbit.
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 07:38 PM   #14
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Gollum is my favourite character in the hobbit and one of my favourites in lotr. i dunno why..he's just so evil, and i love the way he talks, it's just so...evil..... i like gollum because he hates sam (and my best friend likes sam because he hates gollum!), and just everything about gollum is great!!!!
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 05:00 AM   #15
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Personally, I like Gollum. I think he's quite sweet sometimes. Okay, he did try to kill them, but you have to feel sorry for him. He's so lonely and the need for the Ring must be terrible for him. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2002, 06:45 AM   #16
Orodhromeus
Wight

Orodhromeus has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orodhromeus
Sting

Gollum was one of my favourite LotR characters. He was one of the most complex, realistic and touching characters. Seeing him succumb to his bad side and seeing again his will to repent is so touching. I also enjoy the moments when Sam asks Frodo to carry the Ring and he turns into another Gollum.

BTW, some friends recently started to call me Gollum. They are trying to make us harm, my Precious, oh yes, but they won't succeed, oh no. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Orodhromeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:43 PM   #17
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I kinda swing both ways. Sometimes it's 'aww, poor gollum'. other times it's 'how could he do that?!' [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] he's a great character though
Old 04-07-2002, 04:02 PM   #18
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I actually like Gollum. He's so pitiful that I really can't hate him, and his speech makes me laugh. He's kind of funny at times, like when he wants to know what "taters" are [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2002, 04:28 PM   #19
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At first he scared the heck out of me when he was following the Fellowship-- especially when they all got to Lothlorien. Then when Frodo and Sam "tamed" him, I actually began to like him a bit, though I didn't entirely trust him. I sort of felt bad for him because of his torment. I mean, I know he stole the ring from his brother (cousin?) but he didn't really ask for the troubles that came with it. And I am glad he lead Sam and Frodo to Mt Doom like he promised. That almost vindicates him... except...
Old 04-08-2002, 10:20 PM   #20
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

As you can probably tell by my username, I love Gollum. I think hes funny. But not only that, he is just such interesting character. A, some what, of a side character that ends up being really important. Its not his fault that hes so messed up. We likes him,yessss.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 02:43 AM   #21
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like the Smeagol in him, the side that had hope, though it didn't develop. And I like his importance in the story. i also find him funny. Three points for good old preciousss...
Old 04-09-2002, 02:20 PM   #22
Carnelossiel Greenleaf

Sting

I think Gollum was sort of cool, you know what I mean? He had a bad side and (maybe not a brilliant one!)a good side. He did help Sam and Frodo reach their goal, almost getting them both killed in the process, but they got there. The fact that he helped them,shows thathe has a small amount of 'humanity' left in him. He didnt really want the ring to be destroyed, so he conspired with Shelob,but in the end,it was Gollum himself who destroyed the ring...he may not have inteneded to,but never-the-less,he did. Both sides of Gollum are essential to the story, without him, the quest to destroy the ring, may have failed...
Old 04-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #23
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really, really liked Gollum. Even though he sort of evil . . . but oh well! he's adorable! Sam and Frodo never could of done it without him! and i just LOVE the way he talks, it's so sweet! I wish i had a Gollum! “Give me fish now, and keep nassty chips!” “But that would kill us, kill us,” whimpered Gollum. “Cruel little hobbitses. Tie us up in the cold hard lands and leave us, gollum, gollum,”
Hee hee, how sweet he is!
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 03:47 PM   #24
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I adored Gollum when my dad first read The Hobbit to me. I still liked Gollum in LotR until he tried to kill Frodo. Smeagol had been growing on me for a while anyway. So when he died I can't say I was too upset but I did cry over the little bit of goodness left in him, the tad bit of his foremer self, Smeagol. I've kinda seperated Smeagol and Gollum, they aren't the same person/hobbit like creature/thing in my eyes.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 03:54 PM   #25
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

yessss my fellow hobbitess and elvesss......we are good aren't we my precioussss? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Gorothlammothiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:04 PM   #26
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always liked Gollum. When I first read the whole Shelob incident, I thought he was terrible. But when I look back over LOTR, Gollum is just so amusing. You kind of have to look at him two ways: you feel pity for him because of the effect of the Ring on him and how he's become such a wasted creature, but OTOH you hate him for what he does. but hey, blame the Ring. It's all its fault.

Plus, Gollum did the destroy the Ring...
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:23 AM   #27
Brimstone Goldenwing
Animated Skeleton

Brimstone Goldenwing has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never hated Gollum, I only thought that he was sorta annoying. They way he talked sorta gets me irratated. I know he's important to the LOTR storyline but it's the way he talks thats so annoying! I guess thats just Gollum..I sorta feel sorry for the guy too..
Telepathic powers and strength of the gods,
Gives them an advantage that beats all the odds,
Elves and orks and humans alike,
All have a fear of the dragon’s great bite,
And nobody dares to fight the great creature,
For there’s something to fear of its every little feature.
-"Dragon's Feast", part of poem by David Bankson
Brimstone Goldenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:55 PM   #28
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
The Eye

I have always loved gollum ever since I read the Hobbit. He is my favorite character. he has become evil over the years and perhaps always was. He is a nesessary part of the books. I like how he carries over into all the books. It is a really good example of what the ring can do to you. In the movie when Bilbo lashes out at Frodo for the ring his face looks a little like gollums. and in the books and the movie we can see how much frodo starts to have in common with gollum. In rivendell at the concuil we can see that frodo misses the ring when it is on the table and not with him. if nothing else gollum is a great character to compare to the others who have had the ring, Everyone who holds it has refered to it as 'precious' [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:19 PM   #29
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

I think that gollum is funny, and I enjoyed reading about him, but if I had been Sam I think I would have killed him. Because he is a pretty evil little guy. Well, half of him anyway.
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:32 PM   #30
Stefanie

Tolkien

At first I didn't really like Gollum. I thought he was kinda creepy. That was ten years ago, though, and I have grown since then. Now I feel bad for him. There's a part in the books where Frodo and Sam are sleeping and Tolkien says it almost looks like an old hobbit watching two young ones. I almost cried. Poor Gollum is so old that he knows no other way than who he is. He gets much better until Sam calls him a sneak. I always wonder what would have happened if Sam had never called him a sneak, poor Gollum... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 06:37 PM   #31
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I LUV GOLLUM! Hes so cute! (In like a puppy doy way)I think he would just be really sweet if it wasn't for that ring!
Old 04-16-2002, 08:06 PM   #32
svz

Sting

Gollum iss one of my favorite charecters

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_the_Grey ]
Old 04-16-2002, 08:28 PM   #33
Elenya
Haunting Spirit

Location: See that mound of earth? No, no, the one to the left.....There you go
Elenya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenya
Silmaril

I love Gollum because he's not your stereotypical hobbit. We've probably all pictured hobbits, at some time, as these quiet little people who live quiet little lives. Gollum lived under a mountain whispering sweet nothings to a ring.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:58 AM   #34
Ajram

Question

Whether I like Gollum or not is not the question. The real question here is, what has it got in its nasssssssssty little pocketessessss!?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:35 AM   #35
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i have a mixed opinion about him it not a matter of liking him though i don't. I probably would have killed him and single handedly destroyed middle earth. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2002, 03:31 PM   #36
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cannot say whether I like or dislike Gollum or his alter ego but do find his character fascinating because it is such a constant battle for him to just exist. The ring has so polluted someone who was pretty unwholesome to start with and yet tiny fragments of his life in the riverbank with his Grandmother act like snow queen's shards in his heart even after 500 years. A brilliant character, not necessarily a favourite one.
Old 04-20-2002, 03:58 AM   #37
Badger

Sting

Personally, i like Gollum. But if i'd been Sam, i would seriously dropped him off a VERY high cliff.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2002, 04:49 PM   #38
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
The Eye

Actually, Gollum is my favorite character in the series because he was the most complex and interesting to study. Heck, I even call my cat Precioussss...
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 07:38 PM   #39
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Well...Frodo is my favorite character and, if he could show compassion to Gollum, I guess I should too. I always thought Frodo had an amazing gift to be able to see the light deep down in Gollum that no one ele could see. And when you stop and think how close Gollum came to breaking through to that part of himself in the scene where Sam and Frodo are asleep in each other's arms, it's amazing since he had held the Ring s long. Blast it that Sam woke up first! I wonder how different the story might have been. I know there are some things in Tolkien's Letters where he discussed this. If I remember correctly, Tolkien said Gollum would have stolen the Ring, since his desire for it was so great, but he would then have voluntarily thrown himself into the Crack so that he could sacrifice himself for Frodo's sake. Whata strange thought! sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ April 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 04-21-2002, 11:27 AM   #40
Ainalondwen
Pile O'Bones

Ainalondwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I liked Gollum because he was like an onion ("Shrek" reference [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) - he had layers! On one layer, he was going to repent but on another he was too far destroyed by the evil ring. I liked the layer of repentance

Read Feist
Ainalondwen is offline   Reply With Quote