The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
What does Athelas smell like to you?

The evidence we have is pretty scanty, but it seems that the smell of King-activated athelas changes based on who's getting healed. When Faramir's under treatment, it smells like roses, but Eowyn gets a clean mountain breeze and Merry gets heather.

Smell is a powerful thing--it goes directly to your brain instead of getting routed the way all the other sense are, and the part of the brain that processes it is closely linked to memories and their formation. So it makes sense on an innate level that in order to be healed of soul-hurts, athelas would activate on smell to make you feel comfortable and loved--the opposite, in a word, of the deleterious effects of the Black Breath.

So. Imagine that you've been plotholed to Middle-earth during the Siege of Minas Tirith, get whacked hard with the Black Breath, and get to experience the Healing Hands firsthand.

What kind of smells would the kingsfoil-steam give off?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pine
Old 11-17-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Minty - like peppermint tea. A very refreshing smell! As a matter of fact, I do have some natural peppermint oil that I use for rubbing my forehead when I have a headache, and it does me good.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hazelnut
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Wintergreen. Refreshing, calming, smells like home (grew all around our house) and thrives under the sun and the pines. It grows wild, and can be found in the winter....
Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
White Tree

A really good frankincense.

Some incense, however, can be absolutely foul--so not them.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
lavender
Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Calendula.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Pot.

Or melted brown sugar.

But probably pot.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Clover.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Freshly crushed krishna tulsi, a cultivar of holy basil I grow in the summer (imagine a mix of regular basil, anise, and watermelon)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Victory?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Well, my association with a "healing" scent would be eucalyptus, which smells very clean and cool and is actually used medicinally (though the Black Breath might be a tall order).
But then, the question asks what makes you feel "comfortable and loved". I think maybe jasmine in that case.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Spring air, the kind you get in late March and that makes you feel hopeful inside.

This reminds me of the Amortentia potion in Harry Potter (please don't eat me!) "the potion smells differently to different people according to what attracts them." Copying or coincidence?
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
As soon as I read about Amortentia in HBP I immediately thought of athelas.

However, there are some differences. First of all, HP states the personalized scent outright; in Tolkien it's only very lightly implied. Then there's the fact that athelas seems to correspond to who's supposed to be healed, not who's smelling it. And finally, presumably Amortentia would have considerable romantic elements to its scent.

For me (after a day's long thought), I'm going to have to go with the smell of sunshine, grass, and dirt, tinged with the faint whiff of freshly-laden sunscreen.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #16
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
What does Athelas smell like?

It smells like teen spirit.

No wait, that's what Nirvana smells like. After a shower more than likely.

It could smell like opium, as it seems to have the same relaxing effects. Not that I know what opium smells like, of course.

Hey! My eleventy-eleventh post! Another useless milestone reached with little or no effort. Woot!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Bacon.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Leaf <- athelas leaf

Probably the sea and damp forest somehow combined. Or just one of them.

Or on a very different note... freshly printed paperbacks.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Probably the sea and damp forest somehow combined. Or just one of them.
Yeah the sweet scent of the sea, and then I mean an actual ocean, is quite something, that might be it. I also enjoy a damp Scandinavian spruce and pine forest, but there's something stuffy, almost stifling about them too so I'm not sure it would be ideal bringing me back from the brink of death.

The pine forests of the Mediterranean region smells more like Athelas would I think.

Oh, and freshly baked cinnamon bun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
But probably pot.
Have to admit that was the first thing that came to my mind too. Smells good. Or so I've heard.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Have to admit that was the first thing that came to my mind too. Smells good. Or so I've heard.
Yes, that's why I mentioned opium, which is very aromatic. It is not only the smell of Athelas, but the plant also has somewhat of a narcotic nature, allowing the grievously wounded a peaceful sleep.

I'm sure in the 4th Age bored Hobbit teenagers started putting Kingsfoil in their pipes to smoke.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #21
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Yes, that's why I mentioned opium, which is very aromatic. It is not only the smell of Athelas, but the plant also has somewhat of a narcotic nature, allowing the grievously wounded a peaceful sleep.
Which is why it's important to point out that the plant's ability to enhance feelings of relaxation, peacefulness and happiness is strictly for medicinal purposes. There's absolutely no need for any of that unless you already suffer from a mortal disease. In fact, that kind of well-being is a punishable offence. That's right, stay away from the Athelas leaves, kids!
Old 11-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #22
Mugwump
Wight

Mugwump has just left Hobbiton.
It smells minty, but tastes quite bitter (which is why it remains a medicinal herb instead of one used in cooking).
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 AM   #23
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Parsley.
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
musicofainur
Newly Deceased

musicofainur has just left Hobbiton.
Smells like napalm in the morning.

Just kidding!
I would believe it to give out a smell like the dewy glade in a beautiful morn.
musicofainur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #25
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
I'm torn between the ocean, fresh coffee, kittens, and sage. Some of your answers are hilarious. I can only imagine being torn from death's door by the aromas of bacon, pot, heroin, and eucalyptus. Jarirng, indeed.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #26
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
Parsley.
Which reminds me of my favorite Ogden Nash quote: "Parsley is gharsely."
Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
Parsley.
Elvish Parsley, of course.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #28
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Wintergreen. Refreshing, calming, smells like home
Smells like Bengay, I'd say!

In my imagination Athelas would smell something like Basil leaves. Or aromatic like the Cistus, a flowering shrub that grows in the Mediterranian macchia.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
freshly mowed grass......or rain.....or lavender......or cookies

Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #30
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Cinnamon, and wet wood, and cinnamon, and old books (seriously, old books smell really nice, much nicer than new ones). And did I mention cinnamon?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #31
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
For me it would be the smell after it rained.

As for what I thought in the books, I kind of thought it smelled like wet hemp.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #32
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
A smell that can bring me into warmth and comfort from a dark and terrifying place?

The perfect warm blend of skin, soap, coffee, cinnamon, denim, and Old Spice.

Or dark chocolate. But that's a bit anti-dementor for this site...

If I had to pick a plant-ish scent to wake me up and make me feel alive, however, I'd choose lemongrass.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #33
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I would definitely have to say puppy breath. It sounds weird but it smell sooooo good when they are little.
If a plant smell, I would have to agree with Fea and say lemongrass, very refreshing.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #34
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

Airaloske has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush View Post
Pot.

Or melted brown sugar.

But probably pot.
awesome.

the smell when i step outside when it is snowing. that cold icy wintery smell of frozen pavement and clear air.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Nature.

It's just too much to give anything more specific - It would smell like summer, winter, spring, and fall at once, it would be snowy and rainy and sunny and cloudy and warm and cold and day and night and evening and morning, it would be the ocean and a pine forest... no, change that to any forest, and prairie and mountains and rivers and whatever else I forgot to mention.
I just couldn't decide! I know what isn't going to be there - cities, or anything to do with them. And there's going to be a tinge of mint in it - for some reason I always assosiated athelas with mint.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #36
Nessa Telrunya
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nessa Telrunya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Nessa Telrunya
Don't laugh, but it's gotta be the smell you get when you open a can of tuna. It brings back wonderful memories.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #37
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sort of a mixture between mint and eucalyptus With a hint of fresh mist.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #38
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier View Post
I would definitely have to say puppy breath. It sounds weird but it smell sooooo good when they are little.
If a plant smell, I would have to agree with Fea and say lemongrass, very refreshing.
No, it doesn't sound weird, you are totally right about puppy breath.

I think for me athelas would smell like fresh winter air. Or new spring grass.

Actually, the modern me would go for a combination of 'fresh coffee + good tobacco plus a whiff of special aftershave', but two of these ingredients are missing from ME.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #39
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmm.... The most healing and enchanting smell in the world.

I think athelas would smell like sun-warmed, dried pine needles. Sharp and pungent, but fresh and clean.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #40
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Silmaril

For me it would have a sort of lavender smell to it, maybe. With a hint of oak leaf (smells like the earth after it falls from the tree and decays, in case some of you don't know). So a real earthy smell to me, maybe the woods after a nice rainfall. I'm thinking more so the latter of the options I listed.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote