The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
What is your heroic ideal?

While typing a reply for the "Which good guy do you least like?",
I realized that I seemed to have a preference for certain type of characters in LOTR.

Boromir, Denethor, Turin, Feanor, Hurin, perhaps Maedhros.

I am not quite sure yet exactly what they have in common except that I like them;
(They died? No, wait, Maedhros didn't die. Hm. I don't know. Someone help me out on this one?)
but I think somehow they reveal my thoughts on what an ideal hero should act like.

So tell me,

What kinds of characters do you think of as 'heroic' in Tolkien's works,
and what does that tell you about your concept of heroic ideal? What makes a character a hero?

Eorl of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Mine is in ....Fingolfin and his children...

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hmm. But what's so heroic about them?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Fingolfin pretty well cut off Melkor's foot, Fingon showed Glaurung his devil, Turgon showed up at N.A.,and Aredhel made Morgoth's defeat possible.(If Gondolin survived, would Earendil be able to call his kin to help defeat him?)

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Boromir.

He was a stalwart warrior- among the very best in Gondor at both generalship and personal fighting prowess. Yet, he was seduced by the ring, just as any other man would have been.

Unlike others, however, Boromir achieved redemption, and did it in heroic fashion. This was stunning in both its rarity and inspiration.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Boromir.

Unlike others, however, Boromir achieved redemption, and did it in heroic fashion. This was stunning in both its rarity and inspiration.
I am not a fan of Boromir so help me understand how he achieved redemption? He fought Uruks at the end. Who wouldn't? I don't see this as redemption I see it as doing what any would do to try and preserve their own life.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice to meet another Boromir fan

Heroic redemption motif is cool, but I think Boromir's attractiveness also comes from the fact that he was seduced.
Boromir was all too human in his tragic flaw of hubris. He was not a hero, nor a maiar, but a man -
Man who had to live with the choices that he had made and acted as best as he could.
Like Hurin, lashing out at the Elf-King in his grief, or Feanor, his home awash with blood in his battle for the silmarils.
They made the wrong choice, but only consequences tells us that these choices were wrong;
like Thomas Hardy says: "these purblind doomsters had as readily sown blessings in my path as pain."
Now that I think about it, perhaps this is why I love that motly assortment of characters; because they were Man.

And it is only the Man that makes a Hero.

(Well, yeah, that and dying awesomely and horribly and tragically. Possibly marrying your own sister.
Or getting yourself mutiliated by your half-brother. Or trying to burn yourself and your son to death on the pyre. Er...)
Old 04-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Let me provide some contrast and nominate Sam Gamgee.
It isn't that much of a feat to be heroic when you were raised to be a trained warrior. But for a humble hobbit gardener who's never wielded anything more deadly than a pair of pruning shears to beat the last child of Ungolianth, face the Orcs of Cirith Ungol and give them the scares of a great elven warrior running loose - that's heroism of the kind I'd hope to emulate if ever the need arises.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
One of Middle earths biggest heros to me would definetly be Ecthelion (bet you didnt see that coming). He fought at the nirnaeth, bravely defended Gondolin, and killed Gothmog which saved Tuors life but cost him his own.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #10
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
I think the fate of Gollum kind of exemplifies how I see herosm. Above all, the adulation of others is fickle. They cast you as hero and villain often in the same breath. So quick to laud you when times are good, so eager to doubt you when things go wrong.

Gollum destroyed the ring, by accident. He did something heroic purely by fluke. And I feel that's what heroism is, a fluke. People may read selflessness into actions that were done without any thought or consideration beyond self-preservation.

Heroes and madmen are often one and the same in my opinion.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothbogg the Ripper View Post
I think the fate of Gollum kind of exemplifies how I see herosm. Above all, the adulation of others is fickle. They cast you as hero and villain often in the same breath. So quick to laud you when times are good, so eager to doubt you when things go wrong.

Gollum destroyed the ring, by accident. He did something heroic purely by fluke. And I feel that's what heroism is, a fluke. People may read selflessness into actions that were done without any thought or consideration beyond self-preservation.

Heroes and madmen are often one and the same in my opinion.
Eh? I don't think anyone, ever, read "heroism" into Gollum's destroying of the Ring, or "lauded" him for it.

And I have personally known many perfectly sane people do brave and/or selfless things intentionally. In fact– not to boast– but I believe I may claim to have pulled off a few myself, in my time. So there.

Besides, bitter, cynical misanthropy is getting a little, well, boring, don't you think? *yawns*

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-15-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Bravery takes an extraordinary effort; cynicism takes none.

Wait a minute, did I just say that?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #13
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Wow, Heroes. There are a LOT of heroes in Middle-earth! My personal favourites are:

1. Beleg Cúthalion (for his undying loyalty and skills as an archer)
2. Finrod Felagund (For his gentleness and his strength. He slew a werewolf with his hands and teeth!)
3. Maglor (Such a compassionate dreamer)
4. Maedhros (Tragic hero. Was good of heart, but a bit too hasty. I liked his humanity)
5. Sam Gamgee (Need I explain?)
7. Fingon (For his forgiving nature and capacity as a warrior)
Old 07-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #14
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Heroic ideal and what makes a hero

I think that what makes a character or real-life person a hero for me is courage, a strong sense of what is right or the best thing to do and willingness to adjust their moral code and take moderate risks when it is needed, not because they were too stupid to overlook something that could've make that risk unnecessary.

For example, a motorcyclist with a malfunctioning brake making the bike go over the speed limit "sacrificing" himself because he only took along one helmet is not a hero because the risk was unnecessary- he could easily have taken another helmet so that his girlfriend wouldn't have to wear his. (Add a smiley to your reply if you know what I mean- reference for those who know the story I'm talking about, posted on message boards, or sent by friends).
-Morwen
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Heroic ideal (more)

Oh and this may be obvious, but I think my heroic ideals are Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn. I think it shows that I admire people who would 'leave their comfort zones" to fight to defend what they love because they know how important it is and who would do anything to both defend what they love and fulfil their personal ambitions.. probably because I'm not sure if I would do the same in a similar situation. I probably would, when push comes to shove... and like Frodo it would probably stick in my brain for a long time sorry, there isn't really a 'contemplative, thoughtful' smiley.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote