The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye Admin Thread: Werewolf- This time it's real!

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU ARE GIVEN PERMISSION

This game takes place in modern times at a world Barrow-Downers meeting.

We have rented the Eagle and Child pub for the evening/night, and we're all having a great time. But our merriment will not last long.

The events that set up our "game" will be told later.

If you wish to be added to the player list, send me a PM. But first, here are the rules. Do not sign up if you fear you cannot do all that is required.

VOTING RULES

You all have been granted ten bonus votes. You may use these at any time to amplify the power of your vote. For instance, if you wish to vote for Phantom, and want to use five of your bonus votes on him, you would do this-

++Phantom (+5)

That would give Phantom six votes- your usual daily vote plus five of your bonus votes. At the start of each day the number of bonus votes you have remaining will appear next to your name.

Additionally, on voting-
  • You should vote each and every day. Fail twice and you die.
  • You are allowed one retraction on each day.
  • All votes and retractions must be bolded and highlighted. It won’t count otherwise.
  • Nothing else should be highlighted. Extra highlighting will earn modfire.
  • In the case of a tie, the last person to reach the total gets lynched.
  • No self voting.

OTHER RULES
  • You are not allowed to quote a private conversation involving another player or mod (emails, PMs, IMs, etc) unless it took place well before the current game and does not involve this game. If I see something that I don’t like, I will tell you to delete it. If I have to tell you more than once about this, you get modfired.
  • You are not allowed to use ignorance as a shield (i.e. making it obvious that you don’t know the way one of the roles works). All the rules are right here for everyone to read. If you have a question about the rules, ask now. If you have a question during the game, PM me. I will not allow you to use ignorance to your advantage during the game. Ignorance should be penalized, not rewarded. If I have to warn you more than once about this, you get modfired.
  • You are strictly forbidden from any off-thread game-related discussion with living members of the village. If you are IMing right before the start of a day, it is very easy to slip out with something along the lines of “I just hope I’m still alive”, which can obviously be a clue about your identity. So please, just don’t even bring up Werewolf or anything about it if you are talking to a living player. I know how difficult that is, but think- everyone will be dead or victorious soon enough. A few days of restraint is a small price to pay to yield a fair and competitive game.
  • The Middle-Earth characters (Luthien, Drauglin, etc) are not actually in the game- they are spirits working with a Barrow-Downs member. The companion spirits have not been assigned with gender in mind, therefore Luthien is not necessarily working with a female Downer. Any pronouns in the narrative refer to the spirits, not the Downers they are working with.
  • You may edit posts to correct spelling and such, but please do not edit posts for actual meaning. Once you put down a thought, you may not take it back. If I have to warn you more than once, you get modfired.
  • If I do not receive your night PM on time, it does not count. Period. I need all night selections, at the latest, ONE HOUR BEFORE the start of day.
  • If your vote is not posted in time, it does not count. Period. All votes need to be time-stamped at the deadline or before. A time-stamp one minute after the hour is too late. Sorry.
  • If my PM box is full, send your PMs to Mirandir. She is the co-mod and should be feared and worshiped nearly as much as me.
  • Play in invisible mode please.

THE EVIL ROLES

THE EVIL THREE- Drauglin, Carcharoth, and Thuringwethil function like a Werewolf team, though only two of them are Wolves. Each night they select a kill. However, they must specify which one of them is doing the killing. Each is expected to make a kill before any one of them can kill again. The Evil Three can PM one another at any time, day or night.

DRAUGLIN- The dreaded chief Wolf has come to destroy you! When he makes his kill, he also PMs me a number, 1 through 6. If the number matches what I roll with my die, and the target is an Ordo, that Ordo becomes a Werewolf and joins the Evil Three. On one night Drauglin can choose two numbers. Drauglin can be discovered via Luthien dream, can be slain by Beren’s Huan ability, and can be slain if Finrod is protecting the kill choice.

CARCHAROTH- The foul guardian of Angband is here to eat you! When he makes his kill, he also PMs me a number, 1 through 6. If the number matches what I roll with my die, and the target is an Ordo, that Ordo becomes a Werewolf and joins the Evil Three. On one night Carcharoth can choose two numbers. Carcharoth can be discovered via Luthien dream, can be slain by Beren’s Huan ability, and can be slain if Finrod is protecting the kill choice.

THURINGWETHIL- Sauron’s sinister vampire messenger has come to suck you dry! She is immune to Beren’s Huan ability, and her kills cannot be stopped by Finrod. She can be discovered by Luthien. In addition, she has a one-time vote-sucking power. On one Night of her choosing, she can PM me with the name of someone she wishes to suck two bonus votes from. That person permanently loses those two votes, and the following day the tally will show him with two fewer bonus votes (though Thuringwethil will not be shown with two extra votes). If she chooses, Thuringwethil can use those two stolen votes the following day while they are still fresh. But the day after that, the tally will show that she has two more bonus votes than she ought to have, and it will be obvious who she is, and thus using bonus votes the day after using her vote-suck power is risky. (EDIT: Just to be clear since I've had several questions from Goods and Bads about this, if she uses any bonus votes the day after the vote-suck, the stolen votes automatically get used first.) Thuringwethil can also choose to use her vote-suck power on a person that she kills. In this case, she sucks away all of their remaining bonus votes. And once again, she can use those extra votes the following day, but the day after the vote tally will make it clear what happened.

GRIMA WORMTONGUE- Grima counts in the tally as an innocent, but he wishes for evil to be victorious. He also has the one-time ability to make someone fall ill. During a night of his choosing, he can PM me with a player name. If that person is a Gifted, the Gifted falls ill and is unable to use special powers that night. Grima is immune to Luthien’s dreams.

WEREWOLF- If Drauglin or Carcharoth kill an Ordo and successfully choose the number on the die that I rolled that night, that Ordo becomes a Werewolf. The Werewolf will not be responsible for any kills until the original Evil Three are dead. The Werewolf can PM with the Evil Three at any time. He can be discovered via Luthien dream, can be slain by Beren’s Huan ability, and can be slain if Finrod is protecting his kill choice.

THE GOOD ROLES

LUTHIEN- Luthien has come to help you with Seer dreams. Each night Luthien will PM me with the name of another player. I will PM back and reveal the role of the player she named. Grima and Pippin are immune to her ability and will appear as “ordo”. In addition, on one single night of her choosing, she may transmit her dream to someone else, meaning that she will not receive the results of her PM, but the results will be PMed to a player of her choosing.

BEREN- The valiant Beren has come to your aid as well. If Beren is killed, he will be sent back alive for one additional day. Also, Beren has the one-time ability to send Huan after a Werewolf. If he correctly does this, the Werewolf dies. If Huan is sent after a non-Werewolf (Thuringwethil, Grima, or a Goodie), nothing happens (except that Beren has used up his Huan ability). Beren cannot use Huan after returning from the dead.

FINROD- The spirit of Finrod will inspire someone to selflessly protect his fellows from the Werewolves. Each night Finrod will PM me with his protection choice. If the person he is protecting is attacked by a Werewolf, Finrod sacrifices himself to stop the attack, causing both the Werewolf and Finrod to die. Finrod cannot protect the same person twice in a row, and is unable to protect himself.

FOOL OF A TOOK- The spirit of Pippin attempted to come to your aid, but he may do more harm than good. The person overshadowed by Pippin does not realize it, but his bonus votes count for nothing. Pippin cannot be discovered via Luthien dream.

ORDO- The only power an Ordo has is the vote. Use it wisely.

Once again, if you wish to play, PM me. If my box is full, PM Mirandir.

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD UNTIL YOU ARE GIVEN PERMISSION

PM QUESTIONS:
  • The Seer does dream on Night 1. No other activity takes place.
  • If Thuringwethil sucks votes from Pippin, she gains votes that don't count for anything.
  • You are not required to do all of your posts RPG style, though it would be entertaining if you have the time. As far as being "in character" you are all yourselves, so everything you say will be in character. It is being "in time and place" that are more important. Try not to say too much RL stuff that puts you somewhere other than in the pub.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-21-2009 at 08:38 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote