The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2002, 09:23 AM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien The difference between Middle Earth and Us

This is where you can put the differences between our world and Middle Earth.
Now I realize that there are hundreds of differences but i think that's a good reason to list them. Here are some I've thought of:

Burglery is a profesion there
Hobbits live there
Elves are there
Kissing or hugging is the equivlant to a handshake

Now it's your turn.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:22 AM   #2
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, kissing and hugging IS equivalent to handshaking in some cultures and countries here.
Old 03-24-2002, 04:57 PM   #3
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Oh really?
I didn't know.
I'm verry sorry if i offended anyone.

Actually now that I think about it it's hard to find differences.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
Lomelinde
Haunting Spirit

Lomelinde has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have some more:
-Everybody talks in a much more formal style there, reminiscent of Shakespeare. Tolkien's style of writing matches the dialogue he gives his characters;formal prose and rather archaic and poetic syntax.
-The characters are nobler and more heroic than most you would find nowadays. Of course, that totally depends on one's definition of heroism, but generally, Tolkien's characters are braver and more courageous of heart, given the obstacles they face.
- And of course, the obvious difference:In Middle-Earth, there are Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, not to mention other unsavory creatures of nightmares which simply don't exist here.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:25 PM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Hmm, Rose, I'm not sure burglary is a profession *only* in Middle Earth. (Of course I'm coming from a skewed perspective; I do auto insurance adjusting which means that almost all I ever *hear* about, 9 hours a day, are break-ins and thefts/total losses. Enough to make me think that somebody, somewhere, must be doing this full-time). Don't be hard on yourself, though, there are plenty of differences still out there [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Middle-Earthers are unfazed by talking birds and spiders as well as the occasional shape-shifter (Beorn).

There is no anti-tobacco, anti-alcohol or anti-longbow lobby in Middle Earth. In fact, the concept of opposing these things does not exist. Never will you hear anyone say "Best beer in the Southfarthing? Sorry, I don't drink, myself" or "Pipeweed? Do you know what that does to your lungs?" A corollary to that would be that in Middle-Earth the weed and beer may actually be completely harmless.

Wizardry is a respectable profession. There are people here who call themselves wizards, but they tend to get paid attention to only in very particular circles. In Middle-Earth, they get their pick of places to live (hence Saruman living rent-free in Orthanc) and homage from everyone in the vicinity, including royalty.

Communications in Middle-Earth are fairly primitive, and they like it just fine! (No Elvish Task Force trying to come up with a quicker, better, form of communication than quill and parchment; no Dwarves trying to get the Book of Mazarbul onto a stone disk).

Unchanging fashions. Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves have been wearing the same kinds of clothes since the dawn of time, and yet nobody ever says "I think *orange* is really the look in the Shire this season." The only recorded instance of fashion change in Middle-Earth is when Merry and Pippin briefly popularize the wearing of chain-mail in Buckland and Tookland.

OK, I know that wasn't very serious. There must be some others, though...
Old 03-24-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
Ahanarion
Haunting Spirit

Ahanarion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No refrigerators.
No guns (thank god).
Sauron doesn't run Microsoft.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:34 PM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan